British couple detained by US

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
At the same time, the US refuses to hand a known killer over.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The British couple story is missing a lot of info. Were they holidaying in Canada with a 3 month old or living there?
What happened to the relatives when the car was stopped?
Like that French “jogger” that crossed over a year ago (?). That made no sense either.
This British couple: wtf were they thinking, unless they were trying to sneak in?

stepic

wouldn't you normally just return to the same road you were driving on if you had to veer away for a quick second to avoid an animal? why would you then just carry on down some random new road? story doesn't make any sense.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
wouldn't you normally just return to the same road you were driving on if you had to veer away for a quick second to avoid an animal? why would you then just carry on down some random new road? story doesn't make any sense.
Honey, there’s a raccoon in the road!
-Detour time!

Abizzz

When I came across a bear in upstate NY I sure turned around and took another road...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If it was a highway or an interstate and they missed their exit, they'll have to drive on until they see another ramp that will take them in the opposite direction. It can happen quite easily especially if someone is new to the route.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
The British couple story is missing a lot of info. Were they holidaying in Canada with a 3 month old or living there?
What happened to the relatives when the car was stopped?
Like that French “jogger” that crossed over a year ago (?). That made no sense either.
This British couple: wtf were they thinking, unless they were trying to sneak in?
Bit more here.

The couple, from London, were arrested along with David’s brother Michael Connors, his wife Grace and their two-year-old twin girls.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/15/brit...d-animal-ending-us-road-10919849/?ito=cbshare

Suedesi

This is a weird story, how do you cross into another country just trying to avoid an animal. No border markings, no signs? :houllier::houllier::houllier:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Do Brits need visas to holiday in the US? If not, then whey were they arrested?.
Couldn't the family just have said, "ok, we'll look around and then go back to BC?" Something must have happened to get them arrested.

I've crossed the the US/Canada line plenty of times but always at official border posts.
The signs are all over the place as you get close on the highways.
Driving along the back country roads doesn't look good.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Do Brits need visas to holiday in the US? If not, then whey were they arrested?.
Couldn't the family just have said, "ok, we'll look around and then go back to BC?" Something must have happened to get them arrested.

I've crossed the the US/Canada line plenty of times but always at official border posts.
The signs are all over the place as you get close on the highways.
Driving along the back country roads doesn't look good.
Visa free waiver (unless you have a criminal record)
But if you have your passport on you then it will have been stamped when you (legally) entered the usa.... Without that then you have clearly not followee the process
If you don't have your passport on you then again I think you have an issue as you can't show you have entered legally

UncleBob

That depends. You want to hit their ass, at least. If you hit their head you might be fecked, though I guess they probably won't feel too good either.
Doesn't really matter where you hit them, the problem is the height due to their daft legs, which means that what hits the front windshield is the upper body

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
For everyone saying this sounds weird, quite a good portion of the northern border is unmarked and unmanned.
Which would make it seem like the logical response from border patrol would be to question them on the spot and allow them to turn back. I agree that either the couple isn't be forthright in all that transpired or the officer was seriously jumping the gun in this case. I know our border patrol can be genuine a holes but it still seems like the response even for them is over the top - so was there a reason for that?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
For everyone saying this sounds weird, quite a good portion of the northern border is unmarked and unmanned.
sure. still makes no sense that brits are driving around on the country back roads near the border. there's really nothing to see there. If they were headed to Seattle then the main road is the way to go.
Of course they could be just idiots, or they were trying to sneak in.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Doesn't really matter where you hit them, the problem is the height due to their daft legs, which means that what hits the front windshield is the upper body
It definitely matters where you hit them. If you hit them on the ass, you've got a chance of essentially pushing them off. It also means you've hit them going away from you, unless they're backing up across the road. It's not like you're going to come away from hitting a moose without any damages, though.

To be fair, I haven't actually tried this, but it's what I've been told by people who drive cars for a living.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
sure. still makes no sense that brits are driving around on the country back roads near the border. there's really nothing to see there. If they were headed to Seattle then the main road is the way to go.
Of course they could be just idiots, or they were trying to sneak in.
They’re Brits though. The UK is a small area and back roads are the norm here. We are full of back roads, many are shortcuts but they always bring you out somewhere. They wouldn’t realise that these roads aren’t used the same way in the US/Canada.

UncleBob

It definitely matters where you hit them. If you hit them on the ass, you've got a chance of essentially pushing them off. It also means you've hit them going away from you, unless they're backing up across the road. It's not like you're going to come away from hitting a moose without any damages, though.

To be fair, I haven't actually tried this, but it's what I've been told by people who drive cars for a living.
Pushing them off :lol:

If you hit a fecking moose, elk or whatever, you're snapping the legs like twigs and getting the upper body right towards your windscreen. Doesn't matter if they are going away from you or towards you.

nimic

something nice
Scout

If you hit a fecking moose, elk or whatever, you're snapping the legs like twigs and getting the upper body right towards your windscreen. Doesn't matter if they are going away from you or towards you.
I don't know what to tell you. Aiming for the back-part of the moose is essentially the official policy of the Norwegian Automobile Federation. We have a lot of moose in Norway, so this is not just theoretical.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

I don't know what to tell you. Aiming for the back-part of the moose is essentially the official policy of the Norwegian Automobile Federation. We have a lot of moose in Norway, so this is not just theoretical.
You have a chance of the body whipping around away from you in an arc instead of its center of mass or antlers through the windshield and into your face. Just look at the weight distribution at the magnificent beast above.

Source: have hit large deer at high speed...

UncleBob

It's not about pushing them off, it's because it's safer than getting it's head straight through the windscreen.

UncleBob

You have a chance of the body whipping around away from you in an arc instead of its center of mass or antlers through the windshield and into your face. Just look at the weight distribution at the magnificent beast above.

Source: have hit large deer at high speed...
Not sure how much of a chance you have of doing that to a moose compaired to a deer

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's not about pushing them off, it's because it's safer than getting it's head straight through the windscreen.
Friendly reminder that what I initially said, which you took issue with, was this:

That depends. You want to hit their ass, at least. If you hit their head you might be fecked, though I guess they probably won't feel too good either.
You then said:

Doesn't matter if they are going away from you or towards you.
Doesn't really matter where you hit them
Both of which are incorrect.

When I used "pushing", I didn't mean literally pushing them out of the way like it's nothing. Hitting a moose is never good. But if you hit them going away from you (i.e. hitting their backside), there's a much better chance that they don't come flying onto the front of your car and through your windscreen.

This is the off-topic hill I've chosen to die on.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Another technic if you can't avoid collision and you are quick of mind, is press the brakes and then press the gas (relasing the brake) at the last moment. That will improve your chances that the moose will crush your hood instead of your windshield trapping you

More people die yearly in canada because of the moose than from the bears

SirAF

Ageist
Friendly reminder that what I initially said, which you took issue with, was this:

You then said:

Both of which are incorrect.

When I used "pushing", I didn't mean literally pushing them out of the way like it's nothing. Hitting a moose is never good. But if you hit them going away from you (i.e. hitting their backside), there's a much better chance that they don't come flying onto the front of your car and through your windscreen.

This is the off-topic hill I've chosen to die on.
:lol:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Which would make it seem like the logical response from border patrol would be to question them on the spot and allow them to turn back. I agree that either the couple isn't be forthright in all that transpired or the officer was seriously jumping the gun in this case. I know our border patrol can be genuine a holes but it still seems like the response even for them is over the top - so was there a reason for that?
Maybe they're black?