Television Brooklyn Nine Nine

Dante

Average bang
That heist episode... I've never watched an episode of Brooklyn 99 that felt less like an episode of Brooklyn 99.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That heist episode... I've never watched an episode of Brooklyn 99 that felt less like an episode of Brooklyn 99.
I realised right at the end I'd been paying zero attention which is highly unusual for me.

Norris

I thought that episode was fine, typical BNN stuff with loads of twists, turns, a couple of laugh out loud moments etc.

Dante

Average bang
I really liked the season ending double-bill. The Suicide Squad was great. Though it's a bit worrying that B99's best shows at the moment are the ones that harken back to their glory days.

Sylar

Catching up. I really liked the heist episode. Surprised by the comments on this page, as I thought that was vintage B99 with the twists and all.

The opening to the next episode where Jake does a prank on Holt and Holts reaction is genuis.

LARulz

I've just been watching this show constantly for just over a week and just finished the Halloween episode in season 5. I needed something to carry me till Good Place and naturally, after suggestions, this was a perfect antidote.

First time round I watched it when it came out I wasn't hooked, even this time, first season was average at best. But after that, it's been excellent. Even the annoying generic characters you see in shows like Boyle, Gina, Rosa etc. become characters that I end up liking.... though not exactly sure I'd miss Gina or Rosa if they left. In fact, maybe cos I'm watching in one go, I didn't even realise Gina wasn't around so far in season 5.

Holt's character development is probably done the best. At first I was annoyed they made him go too far but as he still does things "proper", it makes everything just that funnier. He has had my favourite lines and scenes in the show to date.

Also, the link between this and The Good Place is as obvious as they come. I know it's done by the same people but actually like it, use of the same actors and the "Ya basic" insults

Sylar

Never watched The Good Place. Assuming you recommend it @LARulz ?

Holt is great, agreed. Even though they are OTT, I love the Halloween eps.

LARulz

Never watched The Good Place. Assuming you recommend it @LARulz ?

Holt is great, agreed. Even though they are OTT, I love the Halloween eps.
Definitely. It's basically Brooklyn 99 but I'd say sped up in terms of how quick things happen. Maybe it's because I saw that first but I find Good Place a bit funnier - no episode is filler and almost every line has a purpose to the story. And funny.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm guessing you've both seen it but Parks and Rec is by the same creator and one of the best comedies of all time imo.

hobbers

Season 6 of Nine Nine and season 3 of The Good Place have both felt like real let downs to me.

The Good Place especially is just carrying on for the sake of it despite the intrigue, plot and script all drying up.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
In my opinion: B99 > Parks and Rec
Not even close imo. The character development and the length at which you care about the characters in P&R is miles ahead. Plus every character in B99 is basically a similar version of a Parks character.

Also B99 has gone way downhill. Latest season wasn't great.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
For me B99 had higher peak, but I agree that Parks and Rec kept higher quality throughout. I enjoyed Parks and Rec but it's show that's enjiyable consistently without actually having extra funny moments like B99, which had many funny scenes that make me laugh far more, IMO.

Also, I am talking mostly about quality from comedy point of view, so maybe we are on the wrong page here.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
In my opinion: B99 > Parks and Rec
I'm currently a little over halfway through P&R and so far I agree that B99 is the better show. For me this is due to the fact that I don't find the main characters in P&R to be as funny as the ones in B99, except for Ron, and it's instead the smaller roles that doesn't get as much screen time that I like the most.

With B99 it's instead the other way around with the main guys like Peralta, Holt, and Boyle being the best characters on the show, which obviously is the better recipe.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Really? I think Leslie is a brilliant character. Same with Ben, Andy, Ron and Chris. I think it's more how they play off each other aswell. But yeah they definitely have an amazing group of side characters (Sappersteins, Jamm, Jen Barkley, Perd, Harris, Bobby Newport, etc..) . I've recently rewatched Parks with my gf and remembered how funny it actually is. She didn't want to watch the last season because she was sad that meant it was over.

Ivor Ballokov

It's P&R>B99 and it isn't even close. Leslie Knope is one of the most well written comedy characters of all time, Peralta is a goon and Samberg wouldn't know subtlety if it was a rake and it hit him in the face a thousand times.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Not even close imo. The character development and the length at which you care about the characters in P&R is miles ahead. Plus every character in B99 is basically a similar version of a Parks character.

Also B99 has gone way downhill. Latest season wasn't great.
Parks and Rec was pretty much consistent through out it's run. B99, I stopped watching halfway through season 6.

LARulz

I agree actually, for me it's P&R>B99. But I would place The Good Place above BB9 too because I like the speed at which they do things, uniqueness and, because it is ending after this season, it was always working towards something meaning nothing feels wasted. There have been a few BB9 episodes (like P&R too to be fair) that haven't really kept up to the standard you got used to and felt like filler.

In P&R (like the Good Place even), all the characters felt more fleshed out/complex/developed whilst on BB9, the characters in comparison never really change. You see them do the odd thing out of character but only Holt is different in some way from his season 1 character.

LARulz

Parks and Rec was pretty much consistent through out it's run. B99, I stopped watching halfway through season 6.
:nervous: I'm half way through 5, fearing I should quit at the end of this before my opinion changes.

Is it just a drop in quality or that it felt stale?

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
:nervous: I'm half way through 5, fearing I should quit at the end of this before my opinion changes.

Is it just a drop in quality or that it felt stale?
For me, the show started to go a bit downhill, when they started incorporating too much current affairs/social issues commentary in to it. While there are good episodes where those wider issues are discussed, what really stopped me from watching it anymore is a certain episode in season 6(where Amy and Terry were competing against each other), even though there were a few episodes in season 5 itself I remember being just not up to par.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Really? I think Leslie is a brilliant character. Same with Ben, Andy, Ron and Chris. I think it's more how they play off each other aswell. But yeah they definitely have an amazing group of side characters (Sappersteins, Jamm, Jen Barkley, Perd, Harris, Bobby Newport, etc..) . I've recently rewatched Parks with my gf and remembered how funny it actually is. She didn't want to watch the last season because she was sad that meant it was over.
I have to finish the show before I give my final verdict, but right now they need to step it up if I'm going to place it above B99.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's P&R>B99 and it isn't even close. Leslie Knope is one of the most well written comedy characters of all time, Peralta is a goon and Samberg wouldn't know subtlety if it was a rake and it hit him in the face a thousand times.
Agreed. I like Sambergs lack of subtlety a lot but it just doesn't compare.

B99 is great fun, but shows like Parks, The Office, Community all had more levels and deeper character development.

AaronRedDevil

Love the style they used. Brilliant. Also using the epic voice guy from Honest Trailers.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Seasons 1-5 I’ve seen each episode at least 10x over that’s how much I love this show. Season 6 was just pure hot garbage, so disappointing I didn’t even watch it through again. Here’s hoping for a strong comeback in season 7.

Sylar

Charles saying weird stuff and not realising is basically Funke in Arrested Development. And its still great

Dante

Average bang
I'm gonna miss the Debbie character. I always liked the actress on SNL. Good couple of episodes.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I'm gonna miss the Debbie character. I always liked the actress on SNL. Good couple of episodes.
Thought she was awful myself. This season hasn't been particularly great as a whole though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I take back everything I said, it turned into shit.

Sylar

Ive liked the whole season so far. Im surprised some are saying its shit.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Not seen any S7 yet. Is it better than S6? There seems to have been a major change in the writing. Captain Holt in particular seemed very different in 6, a few very good episodes, but mostly lukewarm at best.

Sylar

Loved the last episode. Was absolute gold :lol:
The kidnapping one?

Holts beatdown of the dude was great as was Peraltas reaction.
But the dance in the season finale was just magnificent.