Music Bruce Springsteen

Classical Mechanic

Proper lefty is Bruce. Did an album a few years back with fellow left wing activist Tom Morello. I enjoyed their version of The Ghost of Tom Joad. You have to be a fan of a bit of lead guitar masturbation to enjoy it though.

gormless

He's got an autobiography or something coming out.
And yeah, the Ghost of Tom Joad with Morello is amazing. Not a fan of "lead guitar masturbation," but they really give the original folkish sounding song a new feel

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I didn't really care for him that much...

Then I listened to Nebraska.

Wow.

kps88

Night three...four hour gig...amazing setlist...fireworks...simply stunning. The man is 67 so I don't know how much longer he can go on but I'm waiting for the next tour and doing it all over again.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l.../jersey-girl-nights-one-two-and-three-w437300
I was very close to travelling to the US for this leg of the tour but I decided not to as I wasn't really a fan of him playing The River every night. Really kicking myself now after seeing all setlists. New York City Serenade is something I've always wanted to see. Was always such a rarity but now he's doing it every night!

Read somewhere he's got solo stuff coming up next. Won't be the same without the band if he tours solo but, if he does arenas instead of stadiums, it will be very tempting.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I was very close to travelling to the US for this leg of the tour but I decided not to as I wasn't really a fan of him playing The River every night. Really kicking myself now after seeing all setlists. New York City Serenade is something I've always wanted to see. Was always such a rarity but now he's doing it every night!

Read somewhere he's got solo stuff coming up next. Won't be the same without the band if he tours solo but, if he does arenas instead of stadiums, it will be very tempting.

Haha...I was actually gutted that he didn't play 'The River'. He didn't play the harmonica at all. Didn't play Promised Land, Thunder Road, didn't even do Born in the USA. But we got some killer live versions of early album tracks from Greetings From Asbury Park and the like. It was a special night. Seeing the whole stadium doing Twist and Shout was amazing and Jungleland was immense...people were rapt like it was a religious experience.

binary bot
So i've only previously given his greatest hits and born in the USA a listen...but i've just discovered Nebraska - what a fecking album

where do i go next?

izzydiggler

So i've only previously given his greatest hits and born in the USA a listen...but i've just discovered Nebraska - what a fecking album

where do i go next?
Buying the whole back catalogue aside, Darkness on the Edge of Town for me and Born to Run are essential. I'm also quite Partial to The Rising too, which is Bruce's response to 9/11.

lsd

The Oracle

where do i go next?

Hasn't he released about 30 greatest hit albums by now? Talk about fleecing your fans

MarylandMUFan

Hasn't he released about 30 greatest hit albums by now? Talk about fleecing your fans
He has released 1 greatest hits album in his 43 years of recording music, so no he hasn't released 30 greatest hits albums. Of all the artists out there, I would think Bruce Springsteen is the least likely to be linked with fan fleecing (granted, his Broadway tickets are ridiculously expensive but that's kind of normal for Broadway).

lsd

The Oracle
8 compilation albums and 23 live albums over 30 albums of songs his fans would surely already have .

kps88

8 compilation albums and 23 live albums over 30 albums of songs his fans would surely already have .
There's about 5 proper live albums which are all the unique. I assume you're referring to the live archives of shows that were released on his website over the last few years, mainly due to fan demand. I wouldn't classify those as proper album releases. 8 compilation albums is misleading as well as a lot of them contain new, previously unreleased songs.

Nothing out of the ordinary for someone who has been around 40 odd years.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's very rare that the band or artist are behind a Greatest Hits/Very Best Of albums anyway. The rights holders will release them and then re-release them often seasonally, because money. Columbia Records own the licensing rights to his entire discography, so can do what they want with it. Bruce probably gets a cut, or he might have sold the rights to it all as a job lot, which is not uncommon but he'd be silly to do that, unless it was stupid money. I'd doubt Bruce himself gets his label on the phone to tell them "it's time for another Best Of. You know what to do". As they hold the licensing rights, Columbia could release a new Best Of every week if they wanted, and there'd be little he could do about it. A lot of artists have spoken about this happening. Paul Weller in particular gets annoyed about Polydor continuing to release compilations and "deluxe" versions of albums by The Jam, but they own the rights to it all, Weller agreed to it, he can't do anything. They could release it on a SNES cartridge or a floppy disk if they wanted, it's their content.

That said, after looking it up, Springsteen only has two official "Greatest Hits" albums, released nearly 15 years apart. Looking at the rest of the compilation albums, they're all very different, with lots of unreleased and alternate versions of songs from different eras and recording sessions.

Either way, it's not fleecing fans. Fans have the choice to buy it. If they look at the track listing and see they've got the majority of the material on a compilation, they can choose not to buy it. Greatest Hits albums aren't really aimed at fans anyway, but people who like 2 or 3 songs they've heard on the radio.

MarylandMUFan

Anyone seeing what is going on with Springsteen tour tickets in the United States for next years tour? Ticketmaster is using dynamic pricing, meaning the prices adjust based on demand. Basically, Bruce and TM are scalping their own tickets. This will be the first tour since 1999 that I miss (the regular prices are almost more than I want to spend, let alone the dynamic prices that are pushing shitty seats to the $500 range and good seats to the $2,000 range).

Bruce Springsteen Fans Furious as Ticketmaster Tix Go as High as $4-5K - Variety

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Anyone seeing what is going on with Springsteen tour tickets in the United States for next years tour? Ticketmaster is using dynamic pricing, meaning the prices adjust based on demand. Basically, Bruce and TM are scalping their own tickets. This will be the first tour since 1999 that I miss (the regular prices are almost more than I want to spend, let alone the dynamic prices that are pushing shitty seats to the $500 range and good seats to the $2,000 range).

Bruce Springsteen Fans Furious as Ticketmaster Tix Go as High as $4-5K - Variety
Would love to see him but not for $5000...

I don't think artists can scalp their own tickets. But in a way they are taking advantage of their loyal fanbase. There are ways to sell tickets at a reasonable price, make money, and cut out scalpers without using dynamic pricing.

Leg-End

Manages to get tickets for Birmingham next year, really really excited to finally see him live. Pricey though, shame about the above stuff.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

I missed out on tix in Amsterdam, tickets ticketmaster crashed afterb1 min

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.

The same happened with Pearl Jam this year.

Sweet Square

crazy.