Brucey to Newcastle

stu_1992

I like Bruse and I'm not fan of Benitez, but damn this is some drop off in calibre of manager. Newcastle fans must be furious. You may as well just come out and say "we've no ambition" with an appointment like this. Not that any top manager would take it currently, but if you were going to go the cheap route you may as well take a punt on someone young or upcoming. Tough job on his hands, a long way off being capable to stay in the league currently I would think.

R'hllor

There must be some young English coaches out there with fresh ideas to have a shot, wondering for how long names like Pardew and similar will lurk around.

Oldyella

Wednesday must be happy.
Another cheap option for Newcastle!

Really has shit on Sheff Wed after they were good to him prior to him starting the job one month after being appointed
Yeah. Dream job I guess for him, but still...

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I was gonna say Eddie Howe but Bournemouth are very well run so guessing he wouldn’t make the move although if he did and done well, he’d get a call from a big club in my view. Don’t shoot me down but he’d change Newcastle completely.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Good question? Similar to how Mark Hughes and many others keep getting jobs.

PL clubs would rather go for a name, even if they've got a poor record than risk a young but potentially better option?

Very hard for potentially good managers who are smart and maybe bit different, but who aren't a big name former player to ever get a chance. Could there ever be an English version of Mourinho?

Better to be a big name player, than actually have any ability as a manager?

Football management is a really strange occupation.
Tbf Hughes was reasonably good for a while, at Blackburn especially, but in the same way Jose and Wenger went from incredible to average he's gone from average to terrible.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I was gonna say Eddie Howe but Bournemouth are very well run so guessing he wouldn’t make the move although if he did and done well, he’d get a call from a big club in my view. Don’t shoot me down but he’d change Newcastle completely.
How has a good philosophy but his record in the market is woeful (Solanke and Ibe for a combined what £30m (?) Is tragically poor recruitment) and I feel eventually that will come back to haunt him and Bournemouth sooner rather than later.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Tbf Hughes was reasonably good for a while, at Blackburn especially, but in the same way Jose and Wenger went from incredible to average he's gone from average to terrible.
Good post. Completely agree mate!

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
How has a good philosophy but his record in the market is woeful (Solanke and Ibe for a combined what £30m (?) Is tragically poor recruitment) and I feel eventually that will come back to haunt him and Bournemouth sooner rather than later.
I really don’t think so. I feel top managers make mistakes in the transfer window. Let’s not forget, if it wasn’t for Eddie Howe finishing the last few seasons in respectable places, Bournemouth wouldn’t of had that much money to spend in the first place. Howe has done a wonderful job at Bournemouth. Probably the closest budget he had to Newcastle. If they go for him, they will play attacking football my which goes against Rafa’s philosophy where you need to be solid at the back.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
he also get's homesick so I doubt he will never take a job further than London

sorry, was meant to quote @Real Madras

lsd

The Oracle
Disappointed in Bruce after the way Wednesday treated him last season letting him take time off . This is very poor behaviour from him . The man has no loyality at all .

Matt007a

Relegation beckons I fear. Benitez was the main reason they stayed up last season and we're not talking about a slight drop in manager quality here. Bruce is several levels below him.

bleedred

There must be some young English coaches out there with fresh ideas to have a shot, wondering for how long names like Pardew and similar will lurk around.
And they should rightly avoid N'castle like the plague, because when they get relegated it will be pinned on them.

R'hllor

And they should rightly avoid N'castle like the plague, because when they get relegated it will be pinned on them.
Sure but old dogs relegating teams left right center and still being picked. Besides not sure anyone will pin anything on young English manager if they get relegated, cnut of owner will take all the flack but maybe i am wrong.

Bojan11

Perez gone. Rondon following Rafa to China. That’s all their goals gone from last season and big downgrade in managers.

And that takeover seemed to be all talk.

bleedred

Sure but old dogs relegating teams left right center and still being picked. Besides not sure anyone will pin anything on young English manager if they get relegated, cnut of owner will take all the flack but maybe i am wrong.
Like Ole doesnt get shit for Cardiff!

R'hllor

Like Ole doesnt get shit for Cardiff!
Yea but Ole isnt English, Ole didnt have an owner who was a target of fans for years prio appointment, Cardiff biggest sin till that moment was change color of their kits. But i get what you mean.

poleglass red

Loved Bruce as a player, seems like a very nice genuine fella as well, but this is a very uninspiring appt. The fact they wanted to talk to Big Sam at one point just shows the complete lack of ambition.I wouldn't be surprised if they spoke with Hughes, Moyes and Pardew before settling on Bruce.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't see this ending well... but ending before the end of the three-year deal

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Hopefully he lasts long enough to give us 6 points this season.

arthurka

He’s the last one to feel sorry for, dreadful manager and burnt a lot of bridges with his conduct as Sunderland manager
I agree but like I said I just can´t help feeling for him a bit. This just might be the what he deserves? But I wouldn´t want this on anyone, working for Mike. I feel sorry for Newcastle fans, they don´t deserve this.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Confirmed
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48953813

You have to feel sorry for the Newcastle fans, losing a top manager who got them organized and punching above their weight with limited investment to Steve Bruce. Fans must be outraged at the way Ashley is running the club.
My boss is a Geordie and he swings between pure rage and a complete lack of all hope.

It makes me feel better about the state of us at least.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Steve Bruce replaces Rafa Benitez. If the fans don't boycott the club after that downgrade they'll tolerate anything. Ashley taking the piss!
We did replaced Mou with Ole. Just saying

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Wow that’s interesting. Bruce is a solid if uninspiring choice. I thought all things considered he did a decent job at Villa. Made a promising start at Weds. Feel sorry for Weds in how he left. He might retort that a run of bad results would have got him the sack. He has though left Weds in the lurch once he had an alternative job to go to. It smacks of Rodgers walking out on Celtic

red4ever 79

Wow that’s interesting. Bruce is a solid if uninspiring choice. I thought all things considered he did a decent job at Villa. Made a promising start at Weds. Feel sorry for Weds in how he left. He might retort that a run of bad results would have got him the sack. He has though left Weds in the lurch once he had an alternative job to go to. It smacks of Rodgers walking out on Celtic
Only thing solid about him is his stomach. Terrible appointment.