Bruno and Ronaldo bullying Lingard into celebrating his goal

Collet

Jesse handled it well. And the smile on his face says it all.

A strange celebration with a really good atmosphere.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It was strange not to celebrate such a stonking winner, he was only there a few months.
He clearly knows he might be going back there too. Showing their fans the respect like that will get him a massive amount of goodwill when he returns.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
It was strange not to celebrate such a stonking winner, he was only there a few months.
He may well feel he owes alot to that time and support he had there though.

He was in a very difficult place personally and professionally at United at the time.

He looked devoid of any confidence or purpose. West Ham gave him an environment to rediscover that and their support really got behind him...when some of ours audibly abused him.

Not sure why anyone is surprised he has a form of respect to West Ham, the players, staff and supporters tbh.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Yes, think about it from his perspective. He’s been regularly ridiculed by United fans (brings it on himself tbf) but the West Ham fans absolutely loved him the whole time he was there. It’s no wonder he didn’t want to celebrate
This. Hardly rocket science.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't really give a shit and I'm happy for him, but I find it odd to say it's justified as he respects them. In a similar vein - is it not a little bit disrespectful to the United fans, considering it's a late winner and he fecked up the game before?

snk123

Can someone ask the West Ham board how it feels to save those 5-10m now? They were absolutely trying to rob us by not even paying 30m for a player who was exceptional for them (and then they went on to pay 30m for Zouma)

Schnappo

The West Ham fans clapped him when his name was read out before kick off and they clapped him when he came on to the pitch - the West Ham fans showed him a lot of respect and I'm sure Jessie appreciated that and wanted to also show them respect too. I don't really get why people would question it.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Can’t blame Lingard, it’s more than just about football for him. As others have mentioned he went to West Ham in a very dark place both personally and professionally. They gave him the care, support and attention to get his career back on track and help him get through off-field issues.

He was probably delighted but at the same time wanted to respect the club and fans who helped him get back on track, whereas a good number of United ‘supporters’ tear the lad apart every opportunity.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't really give a shit and I'm happy for him, but I find it odd to say it's justified as he respects them. In a similar vein - is it not a little bit disrespectful to the United fans, considering it's a late winner and he fecked up the game before?
I think you’re taking this all far too seriously

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I thought he was just respecting his welcome

Toblerone92

this no celebration thing is utter bollocks

its a fecking game of football get a grip
For us fans it is sure, but for him he’s returning to the workplace playing against ex-colleagues that he shared some great moments with last season, with the support of returning fans.

Totally understandable and commendable to not celebrate wildly, especially when it’s a last minute winner.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I feel many United fans were confused and frustrated at Jesse, having sprung from the bench to the accompaniment of their howls of anguish only minutes before, cracking in a belter to win the points for us in such a crucial game. Unable in that split second to access their tribe of felliw believers on the murky margins of the football interweb, they spotted a lifeline in his frankly preposterous and shameful 'celebration'. Instantly, the world was returned to it's axis. Jesse Lingard was a cnut once more. God was in his heaven and all was right with the world.

clarkydaz

It was so bizarre him doing the same hands in air thing Ronaldo done to us at old Trafford in 2013, with Ronaldo celebrating next to him now back in a united shirt :houllier:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It was so bizarre him doing the same hands in air thing Ronaldo done to us at old Trafford in 2013, with Ronaldo celebrating next to him now back in a united shirt :houllier:
Cause playing 6 years and getting raised into the worlds best player is the same as playing 6 months in a club?

Highfather_24

West ham fans gave him a standing ovation. Dude probably feels WH fans have given him more love than United fans. I understand the "no celebration" thing. Ronaldo probably wanted him to show his abs :lol:

Hectic

Supports
30fps
He should have run over to the loudest West Ham stand and started doing a robot moonwalk. Would have gone down in history.

Mainoldo

Man! Heartless bunch :lol:

He was just being respectful, they showed him a lot of love. It meant something to him. He still done his job. He could off tried to kick the ball of target if it was that serious.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

I will defend Lingard for this. He was at the lowest spot in his career with United. West Ham got him and gave him a life line and rejuvenated his career. He is thankful for that support and getting him back up.

I would have done the same.
Agreed. But I also respect Bruno and Ronaldo for trying to set some type of standard. It's a hard 50/50. I don't think you should try to force anyone to do something like that. It's his goal, his choice. But those two as the de facto captain and co captain, I get it.

EtH

Dripping with self-importance. Which is no surprise. He is my least favorite personality in the squad by a distance and the only player I even remotely dislike if I’m honest.

I pretty much have to ignore anything and everything from him that doesn’t happen in between the white lines to even be able to attempt to properly root him on while he’s on the pitch.

That said, it is a bit funny that he gets it from all angles when he celebrates and when he doesn’t. But he brings it on himself IMO and yes it is very strange for me as a United fan that I celebrated more than he did after the goal.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Dripping with self-importance. Which is no surprise. He is my least favorite personality in the squad by a distance and the only player I even remotely dislike if I’m honest.

I pretty much have to ignore anything and everything from him that doesn’t happen in between the white lines to even be able to attempt to properly root him on while he’s on the pitch.

That said, it is a bit funny that he gets it from all angles when he celebrates and when he doesn’t. But he brings it on himself IMO and yes it is very strange for me as a United fan that I celebrated more than he did after the goal.
I like him, even if he has been a daft cnut at times, and am happy for him. It's not really him that such an argument is posed against. It's the people scrambling over each other to tell other people how they understand and that it's a great gesture for x reason, when the reality is he chose to not celebrate in front of West Ham fans over celebrating in front of United fans, in what is the biggest moment of his career with us for a long time. Bit odd really.

Last edited:

EtH

I like him, even if he has been a daft cnut at times, and am happy for him. It's not really him that such an argument is posed against. It's the people scrambling over each other to tell people how they understand and that it's a great gesture for x reason, when the reality is he chose to not celebrate in front of West Ham fans over celebrating in front of United fans, in what is the biggest moment of his career with us for a long time. Bit odd really.
Yes agree I don’t get it. Very odd indeed.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I like him, even if he has been a daft cnut at times, and am happy for him. It's not really him that such an argument is posed against. It's the people scrambling over each other to tell other people how they understand and that it's a great gesture for x reason, when the reality is he chose to not celebrate in front of West Ham fans over celebrating in front of United fans, in what is the biggest moment of his career with us for a long time. Bit odd really.
The same fans who wanted him out of the club and thought he wasn't good enough? Definitely odd to think he should celebrate with those fans

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yes agree I don’t get it. Very odd indeed.
If you had been calling me a cnut at work at week and telling me that I’m not good enough to work here, don’t be surprised if I don’t want to go for drinks on Friday.

Bondi77

Good on Jesse for showing due respect to the Hammers fans.....some just do not know the meaning of the word.

Tarrou

I respect Adeybeyor's stance when it comes to this no celebration malarky

Judas

Open to offers

You're talking about Jesse Lingard? I find these strong nasty opinions about him so bloody bizarre :lol: :houllier: I seriously just think its because he dances.

EtH

If you had been calling me a cnut at work at week and telling me that I’m not good enough to work here, don’t be surprised if I don’t want to go for drinks on Friday.
That is completely ridiculous as matchgoing fans and the social media keyboard warriors aren’t one and the same and Lingard should know that.

You're talking about Jesse Lingard? I find these strong nasty opinions about him so bloody bizarre :lol: :houllier: I seriously just think its because he dances.
He is quite childish which will rub some people the wrong way. Compounded by his performances or more to point the lack thereof the past few years.

Strong nasty opinion, eh. Give over.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He is a sensible lad so he clearly felt not comfortable to celebrate at a place where he knows he is well respected. Also he might return to that place so no need to put the boot in.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’d hope Zlatan would act similarly against us.

I’d also understand if Lukaku goes nuts.

Chicharo

Most of you already said everything. That spell in West Ham, perhaps, saved his career. He acted like a proper United player who's been playingfor the club since his childhood. I will beat you, but I respect you - that's what this club is about.
RVP didn't celebrate after his first goal vs. Arsenal,when more and more Gooners fans began insulting him he reacted like a lunatic when under Moyes he scored that header that won us the game.

crossy1686

career ending
Not that I care but I found his reluctance to celebrate strange, especially considering he came on and scored what appeared to be a match winner after his feck up mid week.

He spent 10 minutes at West Ham last season. You’d think he was there for years if you saw that clip and had no prior knowledge.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't want to EVER read another complaint about him doing the dance again after this. Can't believe people are annoyed or miffed at the muted celebration.