Bruno and Ronaldo bullying Lingard into celebrating his goal

Brophs

The One and Only
Why do people get so weird about players celebrating or not celebrating goals? As @Alek M said, West Ham allowed him to enjoy his football and feel happy again. Is it such a big deal if he doesn’t want to celebrate in front of them? What do people feel players owe them?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I will defend Lingard for this. He was at the lowest spot in his career with United. West Ham got him and gave him a life line and rejuvenated his career. He is thankful for that support and getting him back up.

I would have done the same.
Totally agreed.

Shimo

Their fans showed their appreciation for him when he was warming up. Also, looked that way when he came on. So it was just a sign of mutual respect. Hopefully gets to celebrate another one again real soon - credit to the man.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
No problem at all with Jesse muting his celebration. So what? He’s showing respect for his previous employers albeit he wasn’t there for long. Why is this even a thread?

SATA

I'm sure Jesse is buzzing and celebrating in the United dressing room with the lads now, let him have his moment with their fans if he wants to

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good on Lingard for not celebrating. I don't believe celebrating would have been the sign of him being a winner or some shit like that

Himannv

I think it’s good that he didn’t want to celebrate. They applauded him on and cheered him on the sidelines. He obviously got his career back on track by playing for them so it’s nice that he’s showing some respect.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not criticising Lingard but in general terms, I hate the non-celebration thing.

If you've just scored a goal (especially an important goal) for your team, celebrate it. Don't reign in the emotion just because you used to play for the opponents, as if being visibly pleased you've scored now is somehow disrespectful. If the opposition fans are that whiney that they take offence then they can get fecked.

And I include players coming back to play us too. Unless they're doing an Adabayor and actively taunting us, it's fine.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It seems like Bruno just wanted him to celebrate in front of United fans. And Lingard was actually smiling at the end to Bruno.

All is good, folks.

Winrar

Personally don't see the issue with Lingard not celebrating. In fact it actually makes me reconsider his maturity level especially compared to nonce like Adebayor.

I do find it amusing that our guys basically goaded him to celebrating, though. Must've been awkward :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Never understood that thing about not celebrating goals vs former teams. You scored vs your former team? So what? You scored for your current team, for you and for your fans. There is nothing wrong in celebrating goal (unless doing Adebayor of course).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Imagine having sympathy for West Ham fans. A club who are traditionally one of the foullest in their abuse of our players, and attacked our coach the other season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Never understood that thing about not celebrating goals vs former teams. You scored vs your former team? So what? You scored for your current team, for you and for your fans. There is nothing wrong in celebrating goal (unless doing Adebayor of course).
It's very understandable if it's Ronaldo coming back to score against us.

But you'll have never seen a long term player, scoring for his own actual club against a team he played about 15 times for, not celebrating. It was bizarre.

Especially as a last min screamer to win the game!

Strelok

I think it was class from Lingard. West Ham were a respectful host and applauded him into the game. It was right not to celebrate too much at their place
Agreed.

I think he did the right thing too. It'd be a bit disrespectful to them after how they treated him.

CG1010

Honestly think you all have got it all wrong. The guys seemed really happy for Lingard after his disaster mid week and were just doing their bit to give him confidence. It just shows togetherness to be fair.

BerryBerryShrew

In Lingard's case it is probably understandable given that the WHU fans treat him with the respect that his own club's fans don't.

But in general if oppo fans are respectful you probably don't want to rub it in too much.

When Iniesta scored the winner in the WC final for Spain, every oppo fan in La Liga applauded him in the following season. Even though he never played for any of those clubs, I'd imagine that when he scored his celebrations were a bit more muted than they otherwise would have been. Stands to reason really.

RedDevilRoshi

How many folk on here if you were playing against Man Utd or against a former team that the fans of that club considered you a fan favourite during your time at that club and you ended up scored a last minute winner against them - would you celebrate it or not?

Personally I would celebrate it with my teammates and fans. Don’t see anything wrong with that at all.

Again it comes down to the players personal choice but I don’t see anything wrong if that player did celebrate a goal against a former side that he was considered a fan favourite of or against a team that he supported. If the fans of that particular club take it to heart and end up raging because he’s celebrating and showing a so-called “lack of respect” for doing so then feck them - you don’t owe them anything. It is just stupidity and childish in the first place for them getting worked up about it. If you missed an open goal or penalty, they would cheer that, wouldn’t they?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
They were serenading him in the stadium and telling him to come back, it's not hard to understand wanting to be more reserved when he scored.

NK86

Guy only spent like a few months there. Was so strange to see him not celebrating. Well done to Bruno and Cristiano. :lol:
Maybe he knows he is going back there soon :lol: Honestly that's the first thought that came to my mind when I saw his muted celebration.

Tony247

I don't understand players not celebrating out of respect. What do they expect from the opposition fans? "%^&$# lad you scored and cost us points...and by the way thank you thank you so much for not celebrating"

RetroStu

Loved Ronaldo's and Bruno's reaction to be honest. Born winners, and we could do with a few more of them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The lack of celebration is simply because football fans are too sensitive. Snowflakes.

Simbo

Run of the mill stuff for Jesse, no point wasting energy on a celebration.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Westham fans showed jesse more love than we have.. and his time there was really positive for his personal growth as a person and player. Even though it was a short loan he appreciates them and didnt want to hurt them more than they already were going down 2-1.. it was a class move imo

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Westham fans showed jesse more love than we have.. and his time there was really positive for his personal growth as a person and player. Even though it was a short loan he appreciates them and didnt want to hurt them more than they already were going down 2-1.. it was a class move imo
Yes, think about it from his perspective. He’s been regularly ridiculed by United fans (brings it on himself tbf) but the West Ham fans absolutely loved him the whole time he was there. It’s no wonder he didn’t want to celebrate