Bruno - could he be our most important signing since Cantona?

bsCallout

I would say that the signing of a future Ballon d'Or might have been forgotten.
We didn't have him at his best; he didn't change the dynamic in the squad; we had a lot of top players in that team and he just made us a bit better.

Bruno has been the glue. Ronaldo was the gloss applied to a top team.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
We didn't have him at his best; he didn't change the dynamic in the squad; we had a lot of top players in that team and he just made us a bit better.

Bruno has been the glue. Ronaldo was the gloss applied to a top team.
without him we wouldn’t have won three league titles and the CL. He wasnt simply gloss, he’s the greatest player the club has ever had in his time here.

LuckyScout78

A really important signing. United before Bruno is like day and night. From sacking Ole to keeping Ole.

I an glad Mourinho went for the wrong Fernandes in the summer. If Mourinho went to replace Eriksen with Bruno. Bruno would do the same impact as much to Spurs as to United. Imagine Bruno feeding Kane or Son?

I was so 100 % sure Bruno was the right player to buy in the summer. Even Bruno wasnt premier league proven. But his head, football vision. Quick head and feet and always know where he has his teammates. Beside his football skills. He clicked all the box. I did category him as “run to buy”. Because of his football head, vision, understand and touch of football. Like Cantona. You just see they both has it. The understanding of football. Reach the level where you don’t need coaching.

So again. I am glad Mourinho and other team didn’t go for him last summer. Even United wasn’t sure about him last summer. United was trying to get Erikssen and Dybala. Dybala in the end of last summer transfer window. Both of the reject United. And come January. Bruno still available. As a new creative nr.10. Arriving Old Trafford. He has lift United as a team.

bsCallout

without him we wouldn’t have won three league titles and the CL. He wasnt simply gloss, he’s the greatest player the club has ever had in his time here.
I disagree massively. In my opinion Rooney was as valuable to us at the time. Ronaldo had his best season with us and then left. He was being questioned often when he joined. He went on to be the best player ever, he wasn't that player with us.

You cannot make blanket statements like we wouldn't have won X with out him. First - You don't know that, and second - we might have gotten someone else.

The more important point is; Ronaldo didn't have that impact when he joined, he took 2/3 years to make those contributions. Bruno has changed us seemingly overnight.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You certainly have to go back a long time to have a player so instantly bring the team's level up so dramatically.

Van Persie inspired us to the title, but we had come 2nd the year before.
Ronaldo was a superb player, but he took a few years to develop.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I disagree massively. In my opinion Rooney was as valuable to us at the time. Ronaldo had his best season with us and then left. He was being questioned often when he joined. He went on to be the best player ever, he wasn't that player with us.

You cannot make blanket statements like we wouldn't have won X with out him. First - You don't know that, and second - we might have gotten someone else.

The more important point is; Ronaldo didn't have that impact when he joined, he took 2/3 years to make those contributions. Bruno has changed us seemingly overnight.
Ronaldo had three seasons where he carried us to league titles and a CL. Bruno so far has helped us win a few games. Ronaldo was 18 when he signed so no surprise that he took a few years to develop. You can’t be serious about Rooney ? Ronaldo won the Ballon Dor for his 42 goal season where we won the league, he carried us to that, and CL where again he was the difference. He was the best player in the world that season, the season before and after he was in the top three. Rooney was a great supporting act, but you sound like a Rooney apologist trying to down play Ronaldo.

Impact when you join is pointless in comparison. For a start you ain’t winning anything on your own, unless you’re Maradonna, if the teams already great...you ain’t transforming it, so timing is essential for that to work out.
Age is a factor, not many 18 year olds transform teams, even your man Rooney didn’t do that. Perhaps the original Ronaldo as he was a freak of nature at 18 he was already the best player in the world. Usually great players develop in their early to mid twenties.

IfBruno has three great seasons and we win a league cup and the europa, then this early transformation won’t amount to much.

Ronaldo May well have gone on to even greater heights and consistency after he left, that doesn’t change the transformative affect he had on us when he developed in his early twenties. In that three year period we won three league titles, 1 CL, Club World Cup and the league cup. In the three years after he left we won 1 league title and the league cup. No doubt the difference there was Ronaldo and the transformation after he left hurt us. Or to put it another way, in 11 seasons since Ronaldo left we have won two league titles. Rooney was still there. We’d have a few more if Ronaldo had stayed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Most important signing since Cantona was Ronaldo. Remember him??
However Bruno would be next on my list.
While Ronaldo was clearly fantastic, he didn't "transform" the side. We were already a good team.

Bruno joined this team really struggling to score/create. Since his arrival our goal average is so much better.

bsCallout

Ronaldo had three seasons where he carried us to league titles and a CL. Bruno so far has helped us win a few games. Ronaldo was 18 when he signed so no surprise that he took a few years to develop. You can’t be serious about Rooney ? Ronaldo won the Ballon Dor for his 42 goal season where we won the league, he carried us to that, and CL where again he was the difference. He was the best player in the world that season, the season before and after he was in the top three. Rooney was a great supporting act, but you sound like a Rooney apologist trying to down play Ronaldo.

Impact when you join is pointless in comparison. For a start you ain’t winning anything on your own, unless you’re Maradonna, if the teams already great...you ain’t transforming it, so timing is essential for that to work out.
Age is a factor, not many 18 year olds transform teams, even your man Rooney didn’t do that. Perhaps the original Ronaldo as he was a freak of nature at 18 he was already the best player in the world. Usually great players develop in their early to mid twenties.

IfBruno has three great seasons and we win a league cup and the europa, then this early transformation won’t amount to much.

Ronaldo May well have gone on to even greater heights and consistency after he left, that doesn’t change the transformative affect he had on us when he developed in his early twenties. In that three year period we won three league titles, 1 CL, Club World Cup and the league cup. In the three years after he left we won 1 league title and the league cup. No doubt the difference there was Ronaldo and the transformation after he left hurt us. Or to put it another way, in 11 seasons since Ronaldo left we have won two league titles. Rooney was still there. We’d have a few more if Ronaldo had stayed.
I'm not sure how I could be described as Rooney apologist? What apologising is there to do? What a load of tosh. You just throwing out terms people use in debates to make you feel superior?

I disagree with you because Ronaldo wasn't the ONE that had that impact, in that time Rooney was one of the best in the world, we had Tevez, Berbatov. We had Scholes playing his best football of his career.

Bruno has transformed us from a disfunctional team, to a very good team, overnight.

Ronaldo developed over 6 seasons, he didnt just play the three you keep referencing. He didn't have the same impact. Our team and the players helped him develop, not the other way round.
We had two of the best CB's in the world with him. Two of the best CM's. One of the best LB's. Maybe two of the best strikers. It wasn't a Ronaldo team, he was just profilic in an otherwise TOP team.

Impact when you join isn't pointless in anyway, what a ridiculous statement. In my opinion he has been our most important signing, like RVP and Cantona because of that impact. That is what is talked about in these discussions. Not a player we spent time and energy developing.

I think you're conflating the quality of a player with their impact or how important they were at the time. We had to accomodate Ronaldo over 3 years to get us to a place to win things. Bruno changed our game instantly.

If your arguement is who was the best player in a United team ever, then I'd concede it was probably Ronaldo. That doesn't make him the most important signing.

Mo Salah achieved unreal numbers for Liverpool, like Ronaldo for United, however most would still agree that VVD was the most important signing because ge changed that team, like Bruno has been for us.

izec

At this point in time, no.

The best since Fergie retired in his overall impact? Yes.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's the most important signing since Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Falcao & Ibrahimovic combined.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
While Ronaldo was clearly fantastic, he didn't "transform" the side. We were already a good team.

Bruno joined this team really struggling to score/create. Since his arrival our goal average is so much better.
If anything we transformed Ronaldo. He always had the ability to be an absolutely top player but United definitely helped him get there.

So, for me, Ronaldo evolved with the team whereas Bruno has definitely been more of an immediate catalyst. Like Eric, RvP and Yorke (to a lesser extent as we already had a lot of quality when he arrived) before him.