6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

and if we are talking about sloppy general play or not influencing games as he could then Poga has certainly been guilty of plenty of that and over a much longer period. Bruno cost nearly half as much. Half as much wages. Who is his agent? I would rather our future transfer business to be more Bruno and less Pogba if you get me. I really don’t get these fans who’d almost rather make a martyr out of a specific player than just wanting our football and results to be the best they can be.
why are you writing big paragraphs about Pogba in this thread?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don’t really get how you can forensically break down Pogbas performances on a game by game basis to prove to any doubters that he’s been effective and his play has been majorly beneficial to us and then say Bruno was decent for a change. Bruno has dragged us from 7th to 3rd and now 2nd all mostly while Pogba was injured. If anyone was bothered going back game by game the amount of times he’s won it for us or had decisive play has been crazy. He’s probably directly won us more games in 1 year than Pogba has in 5 and he brought a feel good factor back to the club again. Captain material 100%
I think it’s the difference between performance and output. It’s very difficult because output is, in black and white terms all important, I do think there is a point at which performance outweighs output but it’s hard to quantify. For example an assist from a square pass 25 yards out, that happens to lead to a goal, is still an assist. A penalty won by another player is a goal but doesn’t provide a stat to the player who won it.
If we draw 2-2 and Bruno assists with a square pass and scores a penalty, which he’s brilliant at, then statistically it’s brilliant....does that mean he’s had a brilliant performance?

For me he hasn’t dragged us from 7th to 2nd. There are many factors and he is one of them. In order for us to come first, I’m sorry but in my opinion his performances need to improve. His output Is fine, but we can’t quantify at what expense his performances are not. If you watch him week in week out and think he’s played well since December then I’d have to strongly disagree.

He’s a great player though, don’t get me wrong.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don’t really get how you can forensically break down Pogbas performances on a game by game basis to prove to any doubters that he’s been effective and his play has been majorly beneficial to us and then say Bruno was decent for a change. Bruno has dragged us from 7th to 3rd and now 2nd all mostly while Pogba was injured. If anyone was bothered going back game by game the amount of times he’s won it for us or had decisive play has been crazy. He’s probably directly won us more games in 1 year than Pogba has in 5 and he brought a feel good factor back to the club again. Captain material 100%
One other thing. This is Bruno’s performance thread..,,I gave my opinion on his performance and his recent performances. Feel free to disagree or go through game by game. I’m fine with giving my opinion on game by game performance and also game by game output. His output is fantastic.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think it’s the difference between performance and output. It’s very difficult because output is, in black and white terms all important, I do think there is a point at which performance outweighs output but it’s hard to quantify. For example an assist from a square pass 25 yards out, that happens to lead to a goal, is still an assist. A penalty won by another player is a goal but doesn’t provide a stat to the player who won it.
If we draw 2-2 and Bruno assists with a square pass and scores a penalty, which he’s brilliant at, then statistically it’s brilliant....does that mean he’s had a brilliant performance?

For me he hasn’t dragged us from 7th to 2nd. There are many factors and he is one of them. In order for us to come first, I’m sorry but in my opinion his performances need to improve. His output Is fine, but we can’t quantify at what expense his performances are not. If you watch him week in week out and think he’s played well since December then I’d have to strongly disagree.

He’s a great player though, don’t get me wrong.
I don’t think his performances have been great for a while but he’s still always all effort and leadership when things aren’t coming off and that’s something major that stats don’t account for. I also think if you went back through the games since last march he’s been our best player quite a few more times than someone like Pogba who has also been useful, but some way off in this context. If Pogba pulls off a majorly difficult assist with a great pass once in every 10 games it might be a really hard pass that only he can do but that’s still only one assist. he has a lot of catching up to Bruno to do when it comes to decisive match winning performances. I think that’s why we paid so much for him, beciause he’s a match winner and that’s how he should be judged at the end of the day. Great performance on Sunday:drool:

Anyway. Wrong thread kinda. :)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don’t think his performances have been great for a while but he’s still always all effort and leadership when things aren’t coming off and that’s something major that stats don’t account for. I also think if you went back through the games since last march he’s been our best player quite a few more times than someone like Pogba who has also been useful, but some way off in this context. If Pogba pulls off a majorly difficult assist with a great pass once in every 10 games it might be a really hard pass that only he can do but that’s still only one assist. he has a lot of catching up to Bruno to do when it comes to decisive match winning performances. I think that’s why we paid so much for him, beciause he’s a match winner and that’s how he should be judged at the end of the day. Great performance on Sunday:drool:

Anyway. Wrong thread kinda. :)
Bruno is definitely a more decisive player than Pogba. Pogba gives us better control of a game for me. But great players, for me at least both of them anyway;)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think he’s getting better....much more composed tonight and better decisions especially second half.

lost7

Deserved an assist for that cross to Cavani alone. Other than that, though, he didn't have his shooting boots on but still he was about to score a Van Persie volley in the first half

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm not sure why he needed a full 70 minutes last night.

Feel like all these minutes are catching up with him a bit

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not sure why he needed a full 70 minutes last night.

Feel like all these minutes are catching up with him a bit
Agreed, Rashford was looking a bit leggy the other day too. I know Donny hasn't set the world alight but we really could do with rotating players like Rashford and Fernandes a bit more often.

buckooo1978

O
Agreed, Rashford was looking a bit leggy the other day too. I know Donny hasn't set the world alight but we really could do with rotating players like Rashford and Fernandes a bit more often.
Ole ran them into the ground last season. He'll do the same again.

Not sure about metrics but with the eye test both Bruno and Rashford need a week off.... benching them vrs Granada and Burnley would have been my decision.Can always bring them on at Burnley if needed. Pogba has a spring in his step even in spite of his injury. Bruno/Rashford need that back

romufc

That's all well and good on paper but in games where they have been rested, we have had to bring them on to rescue us.

Bruno was rested against Leicester and we lost.

I would rather Bruno / Rashford look leggy and us win than not play them and lose.

AltiUn

That's all well and good on paper but in games where they have been rested, we have had to bring them on to rescue us.

Bruno was rested against Leicester and we lost.

I would rather Bruno / Rashford look leggy and us win than not play them and lose.
I'm more concerned about the long term effect of running players into the ground, Rashford in particular concerns me in that regard.

romufc

I'm more concerned about the long term effect of running players into the ground, Rashford in particular concerns me in that regard.
yeah, that is a concern but this is not solely Ole's fault. The club have to take responsibility for that.

We knew we had shortage up top, we didn't really add to it properly.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His game is getting better I think. I’ve been keen for him to spend more time in the midfield areas and I think he’s been doing that more.

AltiUn

yeah, that is a concern but this is not solely Ole's fault. The club have to take responsibility for that.

We knew we had shortage up top, we didn't really add to it properly.
Yeah, 100%.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
I'll be the first to say i have an inherent bias against Bruno for a few reasons i won't get into but i just delved into his PL stats for this season and it shocked me.

Putting aside the fact the perception (correct in my view) that he doesn't perform in big games his overall goal scoring for someone who almost plays as a second striker isn't as good as it seems. (8 goals in 31 appearances without penalties). There are several midfielders in the PL in and around that amount.

But defensively he comes out better than i thought, i compared him to Mount who gets a lot of praise for his pressing, tackling and general defensive work and they aren't too dissimilar in stats

AltiUn

I'll be the first to say i have an inherent bias against Bruno for a few reasons i won't get into but i just delved into his PL stats for this season and it shocked me.

Putting aside the fact the perception (correct in my view) that he doesn't perform in big games his overall goal scoring for someone who almost plays as a second striker isn't as good as it seems. (8 goals in 31 appearances without penalties). There are several midfielders in the PL in and around that amount.

But defensively he comes out better than i thought, i compared him to Mount who gets a lot of praise for his pressing, tackling and general defensive work and they aren't too dissimilar in stats
Some interesting logic to dissect in this post, starting with the fact he isn't nor does he play as a second striker.

tugger

We’re all just keeping our fingers crossed that he turns out to be half the player Mount is.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He doesn't play as second striker, just because his stats are good, people go with "he plays as second striker". He has created most chances and has 11 assists.

So just from open play he has 19 goals + assists, that's a very good record for attacking mid. That's better than KdB stats too and they both play in the same position (not KdB plays as false 9 too, which Bruno doesn't)

Edit: Only Kane and Son have more goals + assists from open play than Bruno.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Some interesting logic to dissect in this post, starting with the fact he isn't nor does he play as a second striker.
I said he 'ALMOST' plays as a second striker, in that his positioning is so advanced he's not far off

AltiUn

I said he 'ALMOST' plays as a second striker, in that his positioning is so advanced he's not far off
He is though, which is why it was wrong for you to say it. Your intention was to diminish his contribution by pretending he played a role where his stats are more typical, which is pretty disingenuous.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
He is though, which is why it was wrong for you to say it. Your intention was to diminish his contribution by pretending he played a role where his stats are more typical, which is pretty disingenuous.
I don't have the poster privileges yet to share links/media but his average positioning heat map is very close, but not quite, that of a second striker. We can argue over whether the wording of second striker is correct but the fact is he plays in a very advanced role.

roonster09

Scout
I don't have the poster privileges yet to share links/media but his average positioning heat map is very close, but not quite, that of a second striker. We can argue over whether the wording of second striker is correct but the fact is he plays in a very advanced role.
Yes, he plays as advanced as KdB and only Kane, Son have more goals + assists than Bruno from open play. So what exactly is the problem.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There really isn't a debate here. Bruno is one of the best players in the Premier League and would be a leading player for any team in the world.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Same as Lampard

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes, he plays as advanced as KdB and only Kane, Son have more goals + assists than Bruno from open play. So what exactly is the problem.
He already said he's biased against Bruno. Would rather him let us know why tbh.

Mr Smith

He already said he's biased against Bruno. Would rather him let us know why tbh.
Actually we should be ignoring him. His post reads like a deliberate attempt to derail the thread.

I don't really care what opposition fans think of Bruno to be honest, if you don't watch him week-in week-out, you don't see how much he contributes.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I sometimes have issues with his ball retention but bloody hell, he could play wherever he wants for all I care as long as he keeps being a chance creation machine.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
I never said it was an issue that he plays in an advanced position, just that i was using it as a barometer for weighting his output. All the players with the best outputs play further forward. I was just pointing out that his attacking statistics weren't as high as I personally thought they were and that his defensive stats were actually better than i thought.

I was giving my own personal opinion based on what i had read into.

I think he is a great player overall but my opinion is that his attacking contribution in terms of goals is sometimes over egged and that he doesn't turn up in big games, if you disagree that's fine but i'm not sure why all the cynicism?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Please can you get into them? Its the only bit of the post I'm interested in and I know I'm not the only one.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Please can you get into them? Its the only bit of the post I'm interested in and I know I'm not the only one.
Same reason as a few players, even some of our own like Azpi etc. The play acting, moaning, diving etc. I just dislike players who do this in general

roonster09

Scout
I never said it was an issue that he plays in an advanced position, just that i was using it as a barometer for weighting his output. All the players with the best outputs play further forward. I was just pointing out that his attacking statistics weren't as high as I personally thought they were and that his defensive stats were actually better than i thought.

I was giving my own personal opinion based on what i had read into.

I think he is a great player overall but my opinion is that his attacking contribution in terms of goals is sometimes over egged and that he doesn't turn up in big games, if you disagree that's fine but i'm not sure why all the cynicism?
How is his attacking contribution over egged when only 2 players have more Goals + assists than him from open play and he has created most chances not only in the league but in top 5 leagues.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Same reason as a few players, even some of our own like Azpi etc. The play acting, moaning, diving etc. I just dislike players who do this in general
Wouldnt have even put Azpi down as that kind of player but fair enough you'd know better. Can see why that would wind up opposition fans, I don't think Bruno is particularly dishonest though, he does get kicked a tonne.

Status
Not open for further replies.