6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli Zee

This dude will be the catalyst to us winning trophies I hope. It's like everything came together when he came into the team. Everything.

JPB

Bruno imho is a better player than Paul Scholes was...his stats alone back that up...but not as good a passer. Misplaced passes have little effect on us when he attempts and completes so many. KDB is more tidy but will end up with similar or less numbers to Bruno. Bruno does everything at 100mph.
Calm down now. Bruno is brilliant, he's the best midfielder we have right now. But Scholes is probably the best midfielder to ever play for us.

Idxomer

Bruno imho is a better player than Paul Scholes was...his stats alone back that up...but not as good a passer. Misplaced passes have little effect on us when he attempts and completes so many. KDB is more tidy but will end up with similar or less numbers to Bruno. Bruno does everything at 100mph.
:lol:

Sorry but not really.

POF

Hate him, but one of premier league’s best midfielders.
The biggest difference between Bruno and Gerrard is that Bruno is far more of a team player and a true leader. Bruno has made the team better at United both by his own performances and elevating others.

Gerrard was one of the most individual players I've seen. He only influenced games by doing absolutely everything himself. Like a kid who is an early bloomer athletically in an under 12s team.

He was an excellent forward but I don't think a top team can be consistently successful with a midfielder who plays like he did. Liverpool's most successful periods in recent years were when he wasn't in midfield.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Come on man let’s not do this hyperbolic nonsense.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I bet the same people moaning about Bruno used to be the same people who would moan about Nani. It's unbelievable. It doesn't matter if you you loose the ball while taking risks. If you do, you just try again. Eventually it will pay off for them. Two absolutely brilliant players.
They do tend to be, yeah. But that thing you deem irrelevant is one of the key things that prevented Nani from going on to a team like Madrid or Bayern, and being considered a brilliant player by neutral fans. The volume of mistakes you make while taking risks clearly matters. If you take as many risks while executing more of them and making fewer basic mistakes then you are better. That has tended to separate the very best from the levels below.

Bruno's career passing % is 75 while Rodriguez's is 85.7. That's a huge difference no matter how you look at it. Messi's is 83.7 and Ozil is at 86.3. KDB is at 79 and he can also be sloppy despite people not acknowledging it. He's the lowest by a fair margin and let's not act like you don't know why given you as a United fan you watch every game of his.

It's not like all his misplaced passes are difficult eye of the needle passes either. A lot of them are regulation simple plays. Some of the is just general poor decision making. He needs to improve that of he's that become one of the best players in that he world.
You'd have hated Cantona. He was also wasteful and inconsistent, and nobody cared because he made things happen. Just like Bruno.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They do tend to be, yeah. But that thing you deem irrelevant is one of the key things that prevented Nani from going on to a team like Madrid or Bayern, and being considered a brilliant player by neutral fans. The volume of mistakes you make while taking risks clearly matters. If you take as many risks while executing more of them and making fewer basic mistakes then you are better. That has tended to separate the very best from the levels below.
No, the period where Nani did something magical every game even when he was playing badly he would have played for any team in the world. The problem is that period only lasted about 18 months. After that when he was playing badly he wouldn't influence the game at all. I also think our fans at the ground treated him very badly, always groaning when he touched the ball, it must have affected his confidence.

CaptainBirdseye

Bruno may give the ball away, but I rarely notice it in dangerous situations which lead to opposition chances. If it leads to wasting a chance at the other end, I'm less inclined to be bothered knowing that he'll almost undoubtedly create or finish off another chance shortly after. Case in point, the missed pen against Brighton, you still somehow knew he'd still get his goal or assist.

RooneyLegend

He barely misplaced a pass against PSG. So he can take care of the ball when he wants to. Probably recognizes urgency is a priority in the premier league where teams sit deep...even at the risk of misplacing a pass here n there.
His passing % were crap even in Portugal.

POF

He would need to have a seriously impressive next 5 or 6 years to justify that ahead of Rooney, De Gea, or Carrick.
It really shows how poor United's transfer activity has been in recent years when the top 3 transfers in the last 17 years include Michael Carrick!!!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The most important measure of technique is consistency. How consistently can you get your first touch right? People who can get it right 90% of the time are better than those who can get it right 70% of the time, almost always. Someone who can control it in a range of exotic ways can close that gap slightly, but not much, it just isn't as important. And it tends to be the case that the players who can do pull off the exotic touches most consistently are also the ones with the more consistent first touch in general, they just go for the simple touch more often because they are better at getting into the position to not have to try high risk moves.

Agree with the Gerrard comparison myself. He was capable of more exceptional technical moments than Scholes but minute by minute his technique was less reliable. Bruno is unreliable in that sense and always will be, because his technique is at least one level below the best.
I like your post. I don't think Bruno has a problem because his touch isn't as good as others, or that he chooses to control it more exotically than others. I just think that's his style, to try high risk moves because he actually has the technical ability to do that and it will pay off consistently. You simply can't make that work if your technique isn't consistently great. It's very demanding because you will fail, but Bruno does it without fear and has the endurance to make it work. I actually think De Bruyne is a very similar player but he contains himself to the benefit of his team in the context of Pep's tactics, where he just plays a different role. If you swap their roles I highly doubt De Bruyne would elevate because of superior technique, I think he would look similarly sloppy at times.

You could make a claim that it's quality vs quantity but a game is 90 minutes and it's over. So it doesn't matter if you miss 5 important touches if you end up creating 2 goals, or if you played very tidy and created two goals. I haven't seen any limit to Bruno's contribution in the big games, there is no tempo he can't keep up with he is an incredibly dangerous player against any opposition because of his style. He is a player that is hard to contain and he just can't be that without consistently having incredible touches in very important moments. I don't get the oversimplification that it's inconsistent "technical ability". The consistency of his touch is great, that is obvious, but sometimes his adventurous style means he gets ahead of himself and can loose the ball or overcomplicate things in the process. That amounts to inconsistency in moments, but over 90 minutes he is involved in is so many things that the ratio compared to others is still very consistent.

Bwuk

Not even close.

acnumber9

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse....

Bruno is a better keeper than Schmeichel ever was.

Bruno is a better manager than Alex Ferguson ever was.

Bruno is a better Prime Minister than Boris Johnson ever was. Actually, that may be true.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
This thread is garbage at the moment.

Can we revert to some genuine discussion please instead of swinging from extreme to another?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It really shows how poor United's transfer activity has been in recent years when the top 3 transfers in the last 17 years include Michael Carrick!!!
Why? Carrick was arguably our best and most consistent midfielder throughout the club's most successful ever 6-7 year period of football. Not sure how he can be classed as anything other than a brilliant signing.

georgipep

I don't get the logic. Are you implying Carrick was not a brilliant transfer? We can do a lot worse than a transfer at that relative level.

Lebo

Why? Carrick was arguably our best and most consistent midfielder throughout the club's most successful ever 6-7 year period of football. Not sure how he can be classed as anything other than a brilliant signing.
most consistent? Absolutely. Best? No Scholes was better 2006-9. Fletcher 08-10. Then there were periods were Giggs was also better. Most people felt like he was the weakest link in 2008 actually but that’s nothing to be ashamed off looking at our starting 11 in that famous night in Moscow

DoomSlayer

I love this guy, world class footballer. Incredible mentality, football brain and skills all combined. If he becomes less error prone, Fernandes can be up there for the best player in the world.

bsCallout

Did you watch Scholes?

We won our last title by bringing him out of retirement.

He controlled games with his passing ability. The definition of linking defence and attack. Bruno would be considered part of the attack, he needs someone to find him to have that kind of influence.

Stat padding wasn't part of Scholes game, nor Keane's. Two of the best CM's in the history of football.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
most consistent? Absolutely. Best? No Scholes was better 2006-9. Fletcher 08-10. Then there were periods were Giggs was also better. Most people felt like he was the weakest link in 2008 actually but that’s nothing to be ashamed off looking at our starting 11 in that famous night in Moscow
I combined best and most consistent as in, he was our best midfielder over that period. No doubt there were times when others outplayed him. I'd also argue that he in 12/13 was as good, if not better, than any of the others. He was basically a one man midfield.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Love Bruno to bits and got no problem him being the risk taker since he's one of the few players who can create top chances executing his thoughts quickly. Just wonder if he could become a bit more selfish sometimes and have a go at goal himself. He came with a big reputation, scoring from distance and while I realize in the prem theres is way less space to do to, think he should do it more.

Same with Rashford, both have it in them and sometimes overthink that but yeah playmakers have this trait so as long as we score goals weĺl be fine I guess.

mu4c_20le

One blocked shot in the first half (that hit the defenders head), thats all I remember from him

M Bison

Supports
York City
Nothing worse than when you see a player now his head before he goes to chase after the opposition, as if they’re bored of it and can’t be bothered.

Absolutely dreadful performance, should be dropped after that showing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Awful, in fact his form has been worrying for a while. He gets a pass because he tends to pop up with a goal or an assist and it glosses over his overall performance but yeah VDB should be getting a game ahead of him now

el3mel

He was shite but I still can't believe we actually did the same mistake and subbed him off again ? Even when he's shite he can do something with the ball.

3KDré

Like the rest of the team, he was dreadful. If the entire team is poor, it's a systematic fault so I can't blame just him.

Status
Not open for further replies.