Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Although I loved RVP, I would have to say Aguero and Suarez were possibly the best striker(s) in the world at that time.
They were not actually. Their peak came a little bit later (a year or so later). It's actually Falcao whose peak coincided with RVPs and both tussled for the best striker in the world tag at that period.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They were not actually. Their peak came a little bit later (a year or so later). It's actually Falcao whose peak coincided with RVPs and both tussled for the best striker in the world tag at that period.
Suarez was probably close to peak in that season

Just look at the goals he scored. Left, Right, inside,outside, free kicks, trivelas... RVP carried us to the title while Suarez carried pool to 7th. Take him out and pool would barely make top 10
23 goals(30 in all comps) and 5 assists in the league - RVP managed 26+10 assists
1:55 that goal vs Newcastle was world class

Tony247

I am actually worried that the high standard of G/A he is setting that people sooner will start thinking it's a new normal and demand in every match. And if he doesn't then 'bench him' type reactions.

Chief123

Id have to disagree. I don’t think Falcao was ever regarded as the best striker in the world at any point. Yes he was brilliant in his peak but never the best. Aguero and Suarez have always been ahead of him.

flappyjay

Those were the 2 best strikers in the world at the time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Very few oppo fans I see post in this thread, compared to player threads for oppo players which has a mix of views

they just jelly?

Sylar

His signing is similar to Eric for Fergie, minus the titles (so far and I blame that on some individuals making mistakes)

He's got a chance to be POTY if he carries on

fatronnie

Id have to disagree. I don’t think Falcao was ever regarded as the best striker in the world at any point. Yes he was brilliant in his peak but never the best. Aguero and Suarez have always been ahead of him.
Falcao was the best striker in the world in 2011/2012 season when he scored 36 goals, which justified he's inclusion in the FIFA world 11.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Disagree all you want. Falcao was third in the Ballon D'or to Messi and Ronaldo.
If that isn't being considered the best no 9 then I don't know what is.

lex talionis

SInce Bruno joined the league yep, it's pretty hard to deny that he's been the player in the league. Maybe Salah, but it really is Bruno. Salah has been sensation during the same period of time, but he's surrounded by much more quality than Bruno is. And Bruno has been on top of his game in almost every single bar the last two or three of last season, when we pretty much pulverized him to the ground.

Chief123

Disagree all you want. Falcao was third in the Ballon D'or to Messi and Ronaldo.
If that isn't being considered the best no 9 then I don't know what is.
I still disagree. At the time, if I was offered any of those 3 strikers I would take Aguero or Suarez over him.

I don’t regard awards as a sign someone is the best in their position. Aguero has never been in the Premier League team of the season despite being the best striker for majority of the last 10 years.

thepolice123

I still disagree. At the time, if I was offered any of those 3 strikers I would take Aguero or Suarez over him.

I don’t regard awards as a sign someone is the best in their position. Aguero has never been in the Premier League team of the season despite being the best striker for majority of the last 10 years.
You probably wouldn't. Both Suarez and Aguero were still making the step up to world class when Falcao hit his peak. Overrall they are definitely the better players but not during 09-13.

In his two year stint with Atletico he got 70 goals in 93 appearances. By comparison, Suarez got Aguero got 47 goals in 83 and 88 appearances respectively.

He was consistently scoring goals for Atletico against Barcelona and Real Madrid. Provided one of the best assists you will ever see in the CDL final. Bagged a hat-trick against CL champions Chelsea at the Super Cup. Was King of the Europa League with two consecutive topscorer awards and MOTM in the finals.

I don't think you have a strong case here.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

You're wrong though. Before that cruciate Falcao was basically a walking perfect hat trick. Unbelievable finisher from any range, maybe even the best I've ever seen. Up there with the likes of Batistuta.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s not the best player in the league but he’s our best player.

Chief123

You probably wouldn't. Both Suarez and Aguero were still making the step up to world class when Falcao hit his peak. Overrall they are definitely the better players but not during 09-13.

In his two year stint with Atletico he got 70 goals in 93 appearances. By comparison, Suarez got Aguero got 47 goals in 83 and 88 appearances respectively.

He was consistently scoring goals for Atletico against Barcelona and Real Madrid. Provided one of the best assists you will ever see in the CDL final. Bagged a hat-trick against CL champions Chelsea at the Super Cup. Was King of the Europa League with two consecutive topscorer awards and MOTM in the finals.

I don't think you have a strong case here.
The original discussion was based on the year we had RVP and won the title. That same year suarez was ridiculously good for Liverpool with like 43 goals and assists in 44 games. I agree Falcao was phenomenal especially for a year, but doing what Suarez did in the premier league is much better than doing it in the Spanish league for me.

anyway each to their own.

Chief123

You're wrong though. Before that cruciate Falcao was basically a walking perfect hat trick. Unbelievable finisher from any range, maybe even the best I've ever seen. Up there with the likes of Batistuta.
I’m not wrong though. I just have a different opinion to you.

Alemar

Salah, Mane, Kane, Son, De Bruyne - all better than Bruno. I'd say the best player is Kane.
All better by what parameters? Statistics doesn’t support this, and there are no doubts that Bruno’s personal influence on his team is bigger than any of the above mentioned players

Andy_Cole

Salah, Mane, Kane, Son, De Bruyne - all better than Bruno. I'd say the best player is Kane.
If Spurs have the 2 best players in the league then why did they come 6th last year?

Since Bruno has arrived at United only Liverpool has more points than us.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The original discussion was based on the year we had RVP and won the title. That same year suarez was ridiculously good for Liverpool with like 43 goals and assists in 44 games. I agree Falcao was phenomenal especially for a year, but doing what Suarez did in the premier league is much better than doing it in the Spanish league for me.

anyway each to their own.
The Premier League on thar era was inferior to La Liga. Not even close. Even Bilbao under Bielsa murdered United in the Europa League. Guess who murdered Bilbao 3:0 on that Final? Guess who was by far the best goalscorer on that competition? Guess who was MOTM in the Final? Guess who scored 2 goals?

Falcão pre knee injury in 2014 was a fantastic goalscorer, that move to Monaco was against his wish, it was Mendes who forced him to leave Atletico, then a couple of months a serious injury and he never recovered his level, but I agree there's an argument to discuss peak Suarez 2014 vs Falcão 2012, regarding Aguero or Van Persie I don't know if they ever peaked to that level.

But at that time the best players in the World were in Spain, unless you only watched Sky and you were able to think Steven Gerrard was better than Messi. And Falcão played at top level between 2010 to 2013 for me. It was terrible to watch him in England.

Just to add a point here, I don't think Fernandes is yet there, and to claim that United has to win titles. Simple.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So, what player in the world currently has more G/A per 90 minutes played (min cutoff of minutes played please)? Surely a shout for Ballon D'or soon?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If Spurs have the 2 best players in the league then why did they come 6th last year?
Both were injured for large parts of the season? I don’t think they’re the 2 best either that lost wasn’t in any order.

Wilt

A younger Zlatan played for United?

As for the Zlatan that played for United. He was not exactly that good for us.
Obviously a younger Zlatan never played for United.

He was instrumental in Utd winning the only 2 trophies since SAF, and was easily on course for a 30+ goal season before he was injured .....not too shabby considering his age

Chief123

The Premier League on thar era was inferior to La Liga. Not even close. Even Bilbao under Bielsa murdered United in the Europa League. Guess who murdered Bilbao 3:0 on that Final? Guess who was by far the best goalscorer on that competition? Guess who was MOTM in the Final? Guess who scored 2 goals?

Falcão pre knee injury in 2014 was a fantastic goalscorer, that move to Monaco was against his wish, it was Mendes who forced him to leave Atletico, then a couple of months a serious injury and he never recovered his level, but I agree there's an argument to discuss peak Suarez 2014 vs Falcão 2012, regarding Aguero or Van Persie I don't know if they ever peaked to that level.

But at that time the best players in the World were in Spain, unless you only watched Sky and you were able to think Steven Gerrard was better than Messi. And Falcão played at top level between 2010 to 2013 for me. It was terrible to watch him in England.

Just to add a point here, I don't think Fernandes is yet there, and to claim that United has to win titles. Simple.
Good write up. Disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.