6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Derbyshire

This is what we’ve been missing, sounds like the players are really starting to believe in themselves and the team. Once they really start to point out each other’s issues and demand more from each other is when we’ll kick on and be title challengers.

Really think this will happen over the next two seasons.

hmchan

Let's not pretend they're even at the same level of productivity.

Another ridiculous statement from yet another #pogbacker who prioritizes the Pog over MUFC. Once your employer shits off to Madrid or PSG or Juventus, we hope to never see you here again.
Let me tell you what is prioritizing a player over the club - justifying the same sort of error and spinning the topic by other excuses (such as productivity). Bruno is a great player and he's offering a lot more than Pogba, but the responses from the over-protective fanboys are ridiculous.

United58

I like this. I'm not one of those firm Ole-inners, I think a lot of our play leaves questions marks and the amount of money spent on AWB and Maguire is laughable, but I love the mentality he's getting in at the club - phase out those that aren't good enough or bad eggs, and get that win-at-all-costs mentality in too. The fact that we actually play sexy football at times (relative to Moyes/LVG/Jose anyway) is a plus, too.

I hope Bruno never leaves, I love him :drool:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
One important point this season is to see if he (and other players) will be able to maintain a similar level because the season will be very demanding from a physical point of view. It’s doubtful in what kind of shape a lot of top players will arrive at the next Euros.

Canagel

Let's not pretend they're even at the same level of productivity.

Another ridiculous statement from yet another #pogbacker who prioritizes the Pog over MUFC. Once your employer shits off to Madrid or PSG or Juventus, we hope to never see you here again.
Wow you Bruno stans are really insecure :lol:
Your Retort will not change the fact that he failed spectacularly trying to nutmeg a man infront of his own box and was punished for it.
And no amount of opta spreadsheets will excuse such moments of stupidity

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Wow you Bruno stans are really insecure :lol:
Your Retort will not change the fact that he failed spectacularly trying to nutmeg a man infront of his own box and was punished for it.
And no amount of opta spreadsheets will excuse such moments of stupidity
That wasn’t a error that automatically leads to a goal, after that it was needed a good moment from Barnes to score, obviously a mistake but it can happen in a small fraction of time. Ridiculous that this topic always turns into a Fernandes vs Pogba.

RedIan

Bruno takes chances, thats what makes him the player he is. Ive no problem with his mistake, we failed to defend after he lost the ball. i wouldnt swap Bruno for any player in the PL he is just bloody awesome. Motm nearly very week.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Imagine Pogba losing the ball in that area. Got himself 1G1A but an overall average performance.
He would have been heavily criticised, where Bruno hasn't been.

Because the more footballers contribute on the pitch, the less criticism they get when they make mistakes. And in terms of contributing to the team, Bruno is light years ahead of Pogba atm. As reflected in the fact that one has 31 goals or assists in 28 games, while the other has played himself out of the starting eleven.

It's unfair on Pogba to even mention him in this context, as it just leads to comparisons with Bruno that make him look worse.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He would have been heavily criticised, where Bruno hasn't been.

Because the more footballers contribute on the pitch, the less criticism they get when they make mistakes. And in terms of contributing to the team, Bruno is light years ahead of Pogba atm. As reflected in the fact that one has 31 goals or assists in 28 games, while the other has played himself out of the starting eleven.

It's unfair on Pogba to even mention him in this context, as it just leads to comparisons with Bruno that make him look worse.
One thing doesn't compensate for other thing though. That was a stupid thing to do and he always has that thing of making some silly passes in key areas. So if Pogba is criticized, Bruno also deserves it.

The United

One thing doesn't compensate for other thing though. That was a stupid thing to do and he always has that thing of making some silly passes in key areas. So if Pogba is criticized, Bruno also deserves it.
It was not a stupid thing to do though. He was trying to launch the ball quick. Not trying to dribble 3 pressing players.

Also Scott and Bailly could have and should have closed down the space. Barnes should have never scored from the position at all.

Last edited:

Eire Red United

Let me tell you what is prioritizing a player over the club - justifying the same sort of error and spinning the topic by other excuses (such as productivity). Bruno is a great player and he's offering a lot more than Pogba, but the responses from the over-protective fanboys are ridiculous.
Bruno messed up today- but was also at the heart of everything good- again, so we’ll forgive him one mistake. He’ll be more annoyed at himself than anyone

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Wth is a Bruno Stan?
Another bizarre thing thats happening on this forum? How in the good feck could we not be his fanboys? He's literally our best, most important player whom happens to also work his bollocks off for the team. His numbers are insane. I mean of course we're going to praise him to high heaven. He's arguable the best player in the league. So yeah Bruno stans is a thing apparently. :lol: :houllier:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not me. At least the way I see the word, I appreciate him and his ridiculious output. Unique player without a doubt.
However if something is worth criticizing, I'll have no issue pointing it
No one is immune from criticism. Ronaldo wasn't. Keane wasn't. Scholes wasn't and Bruno isn't. But all those players had a lot of good will because of how they performed on the pitch. Some players need a boot up the arse and out of this fecking club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His stats are just insane.
We haven’t had a player be this productive since ronaldo!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It was not a stupid thing to do though. He was trying to launch the ball quick. Not trying to dribble 3 pressing players.

Also Scott and Bailly could have and should have closed down the space. Barnes should have never scored from the position at all.
It was a stupid thing to do. Period. You don't try to nutmeg from that position. Yes, everyone else was equally bad but that doesn't change anything about the mistake he made.

lex talionis

It’s fair to flog Bruno for the failed nutmeg in that situation. Play got cracked with the Maguire slip and rather than trying to create something special in transition Bruno, knowing Maguire was out of position should something go wrong (which in this case it did), should have played the ball into a safer position.

That said, it’s a bit harsh to blame Bruno for the goal itself, as there were still plenty of bodies left to close things down.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Criticise away. If he mistakes a mistake then he makes a mistake and people are free to point it out.

But people bringing up Pogba as if it's somehow unfair that they aren't viewed in the same light when they do make mistakes is odd. One of them is succeeding at the club, the other is failing. People aren't going to ignore that context when it comes to the tone of their criticism of an individual error, because it would be bizarre to do so. People can criticise one without bringing the other into it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There is a double standard with Bruno & Pogba, it’s undeniable, but what people need to realise is there’s a reason for that. Bruno has been the best player in the league in 2020, hes saved us numerous times, turned our fortunes around & has built up a ton of good will from the fans. Pogba on the other hand has been unreliable for the vast majority of his Utd career, through injury or inconsistency & has made it clear many times that he doesn’t want to be at the club & doesn’t respect the club.

It’s completely understandable why there’s a double standard.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
What more needs to be said, every match day just sit back and watch the man operate. Incredible player.

Eddy_JukeZ

He won us the game only for the defense to screw it up.

We need more signings like him. His drive/hunger are contagious.

Chief123

Imagine Pogba losing the ball in that area. Got himself 1G1A but an overall average performance.
If Pogba chipped in with 42 goals and assists in 42 games then I’m sure fans would give him some leniency as well.

Chief123

Rashford: YES!
Bruno: Did you see my assist? (Haha)
Fred: (In Portugese) What a shit assist.
McTominay: Boys fecking come on.
I don’t know about you guys, but I absolutely love being able to listen to the voices on the pitch. I would love to watch a match where all you can hear is the player voices. Bit like the old Sky Player Cam where you can choose which player to listen to. Would be fascinating.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I agree it's fair to criticise him for the first goalbut I don't understand what Pogba has to do with anything. I don't get why Pogba always crops up in Fernandes discussions or who it is that feels the need to drag him into it. We are using the two of them in completely different positions.

And I don't think Pogba or any other player would get that much criticism if they cocked up for a goal, but in the same game scored a goal and created enough chances for their team to have won the game. In the same way no one cares as much that a striker misses a sitter if they score a hat trick, as they would if it meant we lost the game 1-0. I mean I thought Pogba was really sloppy on the ball against Sheffield United, but he came up with an assist and a great bit of play for another goal which was the reason we won the game, so I'd take it every time if that was the end result.

Fernandes has been the best player in the league this season for me so one sloppy mistake is a tiny blot that'sbarely worth getting concerned over

Eternitiy

His productivity is incredible, but let's not pretend he's flawless. Very sloppy to give the ball away in the buildup to Barnes' goal. He also probably should have been sent off for all those silly and needless fouls.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Loved him needling Rashford in the BBC post-match interview for missing that sitter from his assist.

ROFLUTION

Bruno messed up today- but was also at the heart of everything good- again, so we’ll forgive him one mistake. He’ll be more annoyed at himself than anyone
If you're thinking of his attacking passes, Dont think of them as mistakes, think of them as attempts. The more attempts/tries the merrier, he's the creative force behind everything we do. There has to be mistakes, else you havent tried enough or play passively.

Solskjær would have been done at United, had we not found Bruno.

Thaumaste

There is a double standard with Bruno & Pogba, it’s undeniable, but what people need to realise is there’s a reason for that. Bruno has been the best player in the league in 2020, hes saved us numerous times, turned our fortunes around & has built up a ton of good will from the fans. Pogba on the other hand has been unreliable for the vast majority of his Utd career, through injury or inconsistency & has made it clear many times that he doesn’t want to be at the club & doesn’t respect the club.

It’s completely understandable why there’s a double standard.
I don't mean to be pedantic (though I'm obviously now going to be), and I agree with the bones of what you're saying, but this isn't a double standard. A double standard is 2 different standards being applied to the same thing unfairly. What you've described is simply a standard. That is to say, the same standard is applied to both Bruno and Pogba, and by this single standard (let's call it goodwill in proportion to level of output and commitment), Bruno is succeeding regardless of yesterday's mistake, while Pogba is failing, so had Pogba made the same mistake, he would have been criticised for it more due to the fairly applied standard you've described.

I only point this out, because what people on both sides of this (not sure you can really call it a) debate is another term to misinterpret where it sounds like one side is excusing a bias. There is no bias. Bruno has legitimately earned goodwill thanks to his output and commitment. Pogba hasn't. If both made the same mistake it would be the same mistake in 2 very different contexts. Therefore reactions would and should be different.

Sylar

Since this thread is comparing Bruno and Pogba, yes Bruno made a mistake. And it ultimately lead to a goal.

But if Pogba makes that mistake, which he has before, how many times has he then gone on to make a contribution to rectify it? Could maybe count it on one finger?
Bruno gets a pass because whilst he made the mistake, he then rectified it with his run and finish to give us a lead, which we had with 10 minutes to go.
Ive seen Pogba give away daft penalties, and when I say daft, I mean really daft, like his handball vs Liverpool, or whatever the fck he was doing vs Spurs and Arsenal. Like actual stupidity that makes no sense, no matter how you try and spin it. With Bruno, hes trying things positively which more often than not leads to an assist or a goal for us.
Of course hes going to get much much much more leeway than Pogba

I don't mean to be pedantic (though I'm obviously now going to be), and I agree with the bones of what you're saying, but this isn't a double standard. A double standard is 2 different standards being applied to the same thing unfairly. What you've described is simply a standard. That is to say, the same standard is applied to both Bruno and Pogba, and by this single standard (let's call it goodwill in proportion to level of output and commitment), Bruno is succeeding regardless of yesterday's mistake, while Pogba is failing, so had Pogba made the same mistake, he would have been criticised for it more due to the fairly applied standard you've described.

I only point this out, because what people on both sides of this (not sure you can really call it a) debate is another term to misinterpret where it sounds like one side is excusing a bias. There is no bias. Bruno has legitimately earned goodwill thanks to his output and commitment. Pogba hasn't. If both made the same mistake it would be the same mistake in 2 very different contexts. Therefore reactions would and should be different.
This is fair imo. I think a lot of people on here would willingly give Pogba leeway for some of his daft things, if he was winning us games every single week.

Last edited:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The difference between Bruno and Pogba is that the former is likely to treat his mistake like a personal affront in the next two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.