6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Original

I don't like that I'm seeing a lot of "he was trying to carry us so he had a poor performance" opinions. Yesterday he had a bad game, full stop. He wasn't getting simple things right (like putting Rashford through with a 5 yard pass) in the first half when we were still playing reasonably well.

Bruno's been our star since he's come here and he's performed incredibly well, and he can afford to have a bad game or 2. But let's not act as if anytime he has a bad game there is an excuse.
I've been chuckling to myself at all these posters tying themselves in knots trying to invent excuses. From his third game or so, even last season, it was observed by myself and a few posters here that he had a tendency to misplace very basic passes.

It has nothing to do with tiredness or carrying the team. He just doesn't have consistently good technique or concentration.

The Oracle

Roy Keane said after the game last night...

"The biggest players step up in the biggest games"

Yesterday's match was the 3rd Semi-Final Bruno has played for us in the past 5 months. In the previous two Semi-Finals he scored a goal (even if it was from the penalty spot each time).

So I think it is harsh to criticise Bruno, even though he was poor last night.

We really do need a partner for Bruno (whether that's a partner in central midfield with him, or simply a partner on the pitch with him, who can produce the goods as well), and you need look no further than Jack Grealish to be that person.

It simply isn't fair on Bruno to be carrying this team on his own.

The Original

Yesterday's match was the 3rd Semi-Final Bruno has played for us in the past 5 months. In the previous two Semi-Finals he scored a goal (even if it was from the penalty spot each time).

We really do need a partner for Bruno (whether that's a partner in central midfield with him, or simply a partner on the pitch with him, who can produce the goods as well), and you need look no further than Jack Grealish to be that person.

Is he?

This season so many players have contributed to rescuing the team at crucial moments, and arguably none more so than Cavani given that he has almost single-handedly rescued points from a loss or draw on at least two occasions. Last game it was Pogba with his involvement n Martial's goal and in winning the penalty. Before that, it was a fortuitous Rashford-induced own goal.

When it comes down to crunch moments Bruno hasn't done enough to show that he is carrying the team on his own...that's a blatant exaggeration.

Penalties aside, he has identical stats to Rashford so they are contributing about the same, but what the stats don't show is that Rashford has won most of our penalties. So if anyone is truly carrying the team it's him.

Fair enough, all about opinions isn't it. Just out of interest did someone like Irwin have the same low performances?
Not Irwin. He was the classic 7/10 every match player.

however, if looking back subjectively, he wouldn’t have stood out anywhere near as much as the likes of Bruno or Scholes if having a stinker.

after his eye injury, Scholes was poor for about 6 months.

Mainoldo

Would be another option to provide some creativity simple as that
We have Pogba already. It’s a like for like switch. It can’t be just as simple as that. Tactics have to change. Bruno needs to have a more disciplined role otherwise if doesn’t matter who we buy everything will still go through him and stifle creativity elsewhere. In big games mainly where tactics matter the most.

croadyman

We have Pogba already. It’s a like for like switch. It can’t be just as simple as that. Tactics have to change. Bruno needs to have a more disciplined role otherwise if doesn’t matter who we buy everything will still go through him and stifle creativity elsewhere. In big games mainly where tactics matter the most.
Would sell Pogba to fund Grealish without any shadow of a doubt, yes he may not have the top level that Paul is capable of but he is a damn sight more consistent and that would mean a lot to this team

Mainoldo

Would sell Pogba to fund Grealish without any shadow of a doubt, yes he may not have the top level that Paul is capable of but he is a damn sight more consistent and that would mean a lot to this team
You missed my point. I didn’t deny the switch I said it would be like for like. What I’m saying is if we don’t let Grealish play like how he plays for Villa we don’t get that Grealish. Who is the player at Villa that plays the Bruno role in their team?

romufc

Bruno is my favourite player but his failure to step up in big games is a concern.

I hope Ole sits the players down and really gets into them, the Liverpool game is a test for our team in terms of skill and mentality.

These are the games you need your best players to shine, apart from Rashford, no one really does.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ok, cheers.
Regarding Irwin....He wasn’t.

Some players had him on toast, he struggled with players who would run at him and feint, he backed off far too much and got caught turning one way and another. Irwins star has massively risen since he retired, don’t get me wrong he was a good fullback but I never came away from a game thinking wow Irwin was outstanding today. He was a steady Eddie. Better than Bissaka offensively but no Trent AA, and never had a wow defensive performance like AWB has had at times. He was just a solid player, but had opponents who roasted him.

Scholes was levels above Irwin in terms of ability and influence on the club.

YAMS49

Regarding Irwin....He wasn’t.

Some players had him on toast, he struggled with players who would run at him and feint, he backed off far too much and got caught turning one way and another. Irwins star has massively risen since he retired, don’t get me wrong he was a good fullback but I never came away from a game thinking wow Irwin was outstanding today. He was a steady Eddie. Better than Bissaka offensively but no Trent AA, and never had a wow defensive performance like AWB has had at times. He was just a solid player, but had opponents who roasted him.

Scholes was levels above Irwin in terms of ability and influence on the club.
I think you missed the point of my post. Never mind, it happens here a lot.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is he?

This season so many players have contributed to rescuing the team at crucial moments, and arguably none more so than Cavani given that he has almost single-handedly rescued points from a loss or draw on at least two occasions. Last game it was Pogba with his involvement n Martial's goal and in winning the penalty. Before that, it was a fortuitous Rashford-induced own goal.

When it comes down to crunch moments Bruno hasn't done enough to show that he is carrying the team on his own...that's a blatant exaggeration.

Penalties aside, he has identical stats to Rashford so they are contributing about the same, but what the stats don't show is that Rashford has won most of our penalties. So if anyone is truly carrying the team it's him.
Why do you tell lies to support your argument? Bruno has 8 assists so far this season. Rashford has 4.

The Original

I’ve already told you Bruno had twice as many assists as Rashford. Hence their stats aren’t identical when you remove penalties. Unless you’re using the word “identical” in a way it’s never been used before.
Did I mention assists alone? Or do stats mean assists alone? Right from the beginning I clearly spoke about goals and assists. Are these identical or not once you remove penalties?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Did I mention assists alone? Or do stats mean assists alone? Right from the beginning I clearly spoke about goals and assists. Are these identical or not once you remove penalties?
No. They are not identical. Because Bruno has 8 assists and Rashford has 4. You said “penalties aside, they have identical stats”. They don’t. Why are you making this so difficult?

The Original

No. They are not identical. Because Bruno has 8 assists and Rashford has 4. You said “penalties aside, they have identical stats”. They don’t. Why are you making this so difficult?
You simply did not understand then.

I was making the point that they have identical totals for goals and assists not that they have identical goals and assists respectively.

This is in the context of whether or not there is one single player carrying the team.

Bruno has 13 goals plus assists minus penalties. Rashford has 11. That is an identical impact on the team or if you wish to very pedantic about it, a very similar impact that proves nothing one player is carrying the team. That's all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You simply did not understand then.

I was making the point that they have identical totals for goals and assists not that they have identical goals and assists respectively.

This is in the context of whether or not there is one single player carrying the team.

Bruno has 13 goals plus assists minus penalties. Rashford has 11. That is an identical impact on the team or if you wish to very pedantic about it, a very similar impact that proves nothing one player is carrying the team. That's all.
:lol: Even when we follow your weird rules where goals and assists are the same thing (and penalty goals don’t count) they still aren’t identical!

The Original

:lol: Even when we follow your weird rules where goals and assists are the same thing (and penalty goals don’t count) they still aren’t identical!
Your objection is addressed in the post already.

If identical is the problem, swap it out for "almost the same" and there you go. It doesn't change my point.

Edit:

Goals and assists don't have to be the same thing for them to be counted together. There is literally a metric called goals + assists.

eire-red

Bruno or Rashford deliver for us 9 times out of 10. Unfortunately, when they both have an off night, we're devoid of attacking threat.

When those two aren't at their usual levels, you're looking to Pogba or Martial to impose themselves and pull a performance out of the bag. Unfortunately, those two usually only seem to play once we have gotten a grip of the game, or are already leading.

Keane is right in the sense that Bruno will need to deliver on the biggest stage in order to be held in the same light as the Cantona's, Ronaldo etc. But we need to also remember that behind Cantona you had the likes of Robbo (for a short period?), Keane himself and Giggs who could drive the team towards the finish line.

Bruno is that talismanic type that can produce a moment of magic out of nothing, but I think we still need that top midfielder to give us a platform in the big games against quality opponents. McTominay and Fred don't really do that. We lost to City because we didn't control the football, you can't really point the finger at Bruno for that, it's not really his role.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Yes, otherwise I would have written something else.
Not sure why you're being a dick about it, it was a genuine question. How did he nearly cost us? I presume you're referring to a particular moment but I can't recall it.

Gazautd18

Poor game today but that may be down to fatigue.
Not too concerned as he's due an off period as he's bailed us out countless times.
Just hope he gets rested and returns to form for the next match.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He definitely wasn't great but, and I see this excuse being used a lot in the past, the quality of movement in front of him was useless today. That moment where he had the ball to the left of the box, looking for a pass and eventually is forced to go for a shot. Everyone was completely and utterly static and gave him no help in picking out a pass.

Still, he was poor to be fair. Let him have these bad games in these type of games.

The Substitute

Had a series of stinkers now and been over shadowed by Pogba lately. That was inevitable but I feel he has lost some concentration, sloppy passing and less movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.