Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

That was as bad as he's ever played.

71% pass success and only 27 accurate passes, only Rashford and Greenwood had less.

The definition of a luxuary player. Missing to many easy passes. Scoring penalties is clouding peoples judgement. We would do better with a hard working midfield rather than him and Pogba.
I got slated on here for saying this but suddenly after yesterdays game a lot of people are on the same wave length as me. It’s kinda funny to be honest.

POF

Why? Carrick was arguably our best and most consistent midfielder throughout the club's most successful ever 6-7 year period of football. Not sure how he can be classed as anything other than a brilliant signing.
I don't get the logic. Are you implying Carrick was not a brilliant transfer? We can do a lot worse than a transfer at that relative level.
Carrick was a good signing. A good solid player who did a good job for the club over a long period. But during his tenure, midfield was the weakest area of the team by a long way.

He's nowhere near top 3 anyway. Vidic and Evra were far better signings.

As for Bruno vs Arsenal, he didn't play well but it was a terrible substitution by Ole. If there are 2 players you need on the pitch when chasing a goal it's Bruno and Greenwood. It's just inconceivable he took them both off and had McTominay trying to create chances late in the game.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
I find Bruno to be infuriating. Is that elite mentality looks like these days? Another in a long line of post Ferguson bluffers.
What the feck are you talking about? Our best signing post sir alex. What are you smoking? What is he supposed to do when his teammates like Pogba are trash?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think this is the crux of the argument and why there will always be two "sides" to this debate. On both sides it's an intuition and belief rather than anything based on empirical evidence.

I think if you took your argument to its logical conclusion you would see the issues with it, but I don't care enough about the debate to do that or to look for the empirical evidence.

All I'll say is that no player in history has ever been judged by goals and assists alone. Particularly playmakers. Football is a very low scoring sport so goals are more decisive, but because they're so rare the other involvements take on more importance. Basketball for example is very different.

Losing the ball constantly has a big impact in football, even more so in this era of football. If someone keeps the ball all the time and creates two goals he has almost always been better than someone who creates two goals and always loses the ball. That one metric doesn't define a performance.

The other problem here is the premise that someone like Bruno can create a goal every game, so his all round games matters little. We know that hasn't happened and won't happen, so in games like yesterday when he can't create, his other deficiencies become much more prominent. Dr Bruyne has those games too but has much better technique to fall back on so his overall impact is generally higher, in good games and poor ones.
It's logical to me that an unique style and the perception of that style plays a big part in how people rate players, especially as they sometimes force players into categories. I suspect people figured he has average technique since not many knew about Bruno before he started delivering goals and assists into his early mid 20's. I think that's an oversimplification.

I wasn't particularly impressed with his physical aspects and I thought he would struggle in the PL with that style, but to me he has proved me wrong. Yeah his style is sometimes erratic, but it's really effective too and more importantly it works for him. To me he has proved that his technical ability is world class. Scoring goals and giving assists is not the only defining metric but it''s the most important one. You can have a player like Lukaku who is good for nothing until he scores, but I don't think you can use examples like that to diminish other players just because they have certain similarities. I think Bruno could play a more reserved style of play and his stats would reflect that his technical ability is as good as anyone. I don't think he would continue to be sloppy on the ball if he was less adventurous and more focused on keeping the ball. That is not what I want from him though, I want him to deliver goals and assist at the rate he has done and if he does that by keeping his intense style then it means his contribution to the team speaks for itself.

Stacks

Bruno imho is a better player than Paul Scholes was...his stats alone back that up...but not as good a passer. Misplaced passes have little effect on us when he attempts and completes so many. KDB is more tidy but will end up with similar or less numbers to Bruno. Bruno does everything at 100mph.
He isn't better than Scholes at anything bar through balls.

jem

Low IQ player. Always said as soon as the penalties dry up and he isnt stats padding people will open their eyes and start realizing what exactly he is offering in open play ie absolute feck all. hasnt put a good 90 min in ages but was covering it up with penalties (mostly won by others) and getting free passes on 2/10 performances because of it.

No better than Sanchez . Only Sanchez didnt take set pieces and penalties to boost his stats
I am going to go on record as saying this is the worst post I have ever read on the Caf.

jem

Bruno imho is a better player than Paul Scholes was...his stats alone back that up...but not as good a passer. Misplaced passes have little effect on us when he attempts and completes so many. KDB is more tidy but will end up with similar or less numbers to Bruno. Bruno does everything at 100mph.
What?! I love Bruno but this is ridiculous.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I am going to go on record as saying this is the worst post I have ever read on the Caf.
It is pretty bad but have you read the one below?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People really need to watch De Bruyne more if they think top attacking players don't lose the ball a lot.
Precisely. This whole "risk taker" stuff is really overplayed. Players who create a lot may not have a 96% pass accuracy but they can be the most reliable possession players in your team as well. At least that's the case with the best creative midfielders. And that's not to say that Bruno hasn't been terrific for us but it's important to keep improving and striving to do so.

RUCK4444

Precisely. This whole "risk taker" stuff is really overplayed. Players who create a lot may not have a 96% pass accuracy but they can be the most reliable possession players in your team as well. At least that's the case with the best creative midfielders. And that's not to say that Bruno hasn't been terrific for us but it's important to keep improving and striving to do so.
If you compare every player to De Bruyne then your onto a hiding to nothing.

Bruno losing the ball is the least of our worries imo. But yeah I agree continuous improvement should be the requirement for every player/position.

Mickson

Seriously, it makes you question the sanity of some posters.
You could argue that Bruno is better than Scholes as an attacking midfielder. Scholes obviously the more secure passer and an overall better player for now.

Walters_19_MuFc

After the Leipzig game, I said you could see the difference between Bruno and VdB as a 10. Bruno is a player who goes looking for the ball and always wants to be involved, whereas VdB is a player who, more often than not, sticks to his position (that's what I saw against Leipzig anyway). Not only that, but he does the simple (but effective) thing. One, two touches, keeps it moving, etc.

I feel when Bruno is in the team, and I've alluded to this before because he often tries the ambitious pass, it means that we fail to get a flow in the game. Pogba can be the same at times too, which means we have no one to keep the ball ticking over.

Now don't get me wrong, we've needed creativity and someone who can play that final pass for years, and I enjoy Bruno as a 10 much more than Lingard, Pereira, etc, but he just needs to learn when to slow the game down, especially if a team is dominating the ball, such as Arsenal yesterday.

Going forward, I hope Ole doesn't scrap the diamond system because of yesterday's performance. I feel if he were to make a few alterations, we could start putting a run of good performances together using it.

georgipep

Carrick was a good signing. A good solid player who did a good job for the club over a long period. But during his tenure, midfield was the weakest area of the team by a long way.

He's nowhere near top 3 anyway. Vidic and Evra were far better signings.

As for Bruno vs Arsenal, he didn't play well but it was a terrible substitution by Ole. If there are 2 players you need on the pitch when chasing a goal it's Bruno and Greenwood. It's just inconceivable he took them both off and had McTominay trying to create chances late in the game.
No McTominay would mean we would be destroyed on the counter, I thought that was obvious.

GlasgowCeltic

There’s definitely times you’d wish he would recognise the team is struggling and just put his foot on the ball for a bit, orchestrate a spell of possession. But then you can also understand his thinking that goals change everything so let’s try and score

SATA

Whether he is happy or not, he can have no complaints about being taken off while Pogba is off on the pitch. All of his passing yesterday were absolutely diabolical. The team is losing possession so just keep the ball ffs. He doesn’t have to risk every pass into a through ball when it is not on

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Whether he is happy or not, he can have no complaints about being taken off while Pogba is off on the pitch. All of his passing yesterday were absolutely diabolical. The team is losing possession so just keep the ball ffs. He doesn’t have to risk every pass into a through ball when it is not on
Agreed. It’s weird to criticise Bruno because he has been very good. But not every pass needs to
be a through ball. Sometimes the pass isn’t on at all and he will still try it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have seen both extremely stupid opinions now.. Bruno being better than Scholes and Bruno being a stat padder. The madness of the Caf in a nutshell

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
After the Leipzig game, I said you could see the difference between Bruno and VdB as a 10. Bruno is a player who goes looking for the ball and always wants to be involved, whereas VdB is a player who, more often than not, sticks to his position (that's what I saw against Leipzig anyway). Not only that, but he does the simple (but effective) thing. One, two touches, keeps it moving, etc.

I feel when Bruno is in the team, and I've alluded to this before because he often tries the ambitious pass, it means that we fail to get a flow in the game. Pogba can be the same at times too, which means we have no one to keep the ball ticking over.

Now don't get me wrong, we've needed creativity and someone who can play that final pass for years, and I enjoy Bruno as a 10 much more than Lingard, Pereira, etc, but he just needs to learn when to slow the game down, especially if a team is dominating the ball, such as Arsenal yesterday.

Going forward, I hope Ole doesn't scrap the diamond system because of yesterday's performance. I feel if he were to make a few alterations, we could start putting a run of good performances together using it.
I agree with this and it's something I've seen for some time.

In a diamond we need a tip at the top and bottom of the diamond. Our game vs Arsenal, our only midfielder was Pogba because Fred & Mctomminay were doing a single mans work of playing at the bottom of a diamond providing defensive cover and interlinking the defence to the midfielders. With both of them so deep we had no midfielders except pogba.

At the top of the Diamond we need a player that holds the tip and makes runs as needed to allow our shape to alter when interlinking the midfielders to the forwards. Bruno to me is a very energetic player that drops down alot in the pitch to tackle and get the ball back before making a run or aiming to be creative.

I'm not sure you will agree but apart from his creative ability I dont see what he brings to us at the tip of a diamond that he cant bring a bit further down. He doesnt have to hold his position, he doesnt have to focus on dropping so deep because he will find himself in the heart of the action alongside pogba and can play defensively as he already does. Instead of making runs back all the time - he has the ability to focus on making runs forwards more often like we saw Pogba try to make going from CM to CAM positions vs Arsenal.

VDB on the other hand is less creative but he knows when to hold his shape and when he needs to drop deep or make a run to open up spaces for the attacking line. I personally dont see why Bruno's creativity would be better as a CAM rather than a CM that has the ability to get forward with the ball to CAM and be creative when he finds the space.

I'd rather see Pogba and Bruno in CM with the attacking abilities to get forward due to a single CDM covering behind them and VDB'S ability to decide when to drop to help the centre midfield himself or maintain that tip of the diamond.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
:lol:

jem

Agreed. It’s weird to criticise Bruno because he has been very good. But not every pass needs to
be a through ball. Sometimes the pass isn’t on at all and he will still try it.
This is why I thought he was actually quite good at Chelsea - played within himself and kept it tidy, yet some people thought he was bad in that game.

Strelok

I have seen both extremely stupid opinions now.. Bruno being better than Scholes and Bruno being a stat padder. The madness of the Caf in a nutshell
Agreed, in a nutshell :lol:

Technically and physically imo he's a good player. Not more than that. He'd never achieve the level of Scholes/Keano etc. But his brain and mentality is superb. He always gives his all. A player like that usually punches above his weight. When he doesn't he'll get criticized because people are already used to that. But who can punch over his weight every matches?

We should really appreciate what Bruno brings to this team. Been a while we have such player and such mentality. But please don't hope he'd turn to some sort of Scholes or Kean. That over expectation won't do him any good. I'm just really happy that we signed him.

Devil77

Low IQ player. Always said as soon as the penalties dry up and he isnt stats padding people will open their eyes and start realizing what exactly he is offering in open play ie absolute feck all. hasnt put a good 90 min in ages but was covering it up with penalties (mostly won by others) and getting free passes on 2/10 performances because of it.

No better than Sanchez . Only Sanchez didnt take set pieces and penalties to boost his stats
Wow! Are you for real? Or is this just a wind-up?

RooneyLegend

Agreed, in a nutshell :lol:

Technically and physically imo he's a good player. Not more than that. He'd never achieve the level of Scholes/Keano etc. But his brain and mentality is superb. He always gives his all. A player like that usually punches above his weight. When he doesn't he'll get criticized because people are already used to that. But who can punch over his weight every matches?

We should really appreciate what Bruno brings to this team. Been a while we have such player and such mentality. But please don't hope he'd turn to some sort of Scholes or Kean. That over expectation won't do him any good. I'm just really happy that we signed him.
Bruno is technically much better than Keane and not far off Scholes if at all. Bruno's problems are in his brain not his footballing ability.

Maureen-yo

Bruno is technically much better than Keane and not far off Scholes if at all. Bruno's problems are in his brain not his footballing ability.
Agree regarding Keane although wouldn't say there's too much in it but he's not near Scholes technique wise. Scholes was able to consistently pick out passes of all types and distances under pressure while making it look easy. One of the best passers, technique wise, the game has ever seen IMO.

RUCK4444

Nobody outside of Xavi was on Scholes level, I love Bruno but ffs.

I’d trade two Bruno’s and a Fred for a prime Scholes.

They are different players though, that said Scholes could do everything Bruno can and more.

Scholes could control games, very few in the league at all can do that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
A few good games and we all heralded him the second coming.

A few bad games and now he's Jimmy Bullard.

Reminds me of the arsenal fan base.

Strelok

Nobody outside of Xavi was on Scholes level, I love Bruno but ffs.

I’d trade two Bruno’s and a Fred for a prime Scholes.

They are different players though, that said Scholes could do everything Bruno can and more.

Scholes could control games, very few in the league at all can do that.
Exactly, tbh I didn't realise this until the match he came back from retirement. We played one of the most boring and dull football I've witnessed under SAF that day. We looked so clueless, pretty on level with our recent cluelessness of the last years, on the worst day. Then he came in and we suddenly turned back to our usual self. I was so amazed that day.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That was as bad as he's ever played.

71% pass success and only 27 accurate passes, only Rashford and Greenwood had less.
If the players behind him cant beat a press, he is completely marginalized. He does his magic in the opponents half and had feck all to do. Sure he was off in his own game too but the crux of the issue was the way we dealt with Arsenal's intensity rather than Bruno on the ball.

Canagel

He had a bad match for sure but seriously what the feck is this. You should open your eyes first before telling other to do so. Such a stupid post.
Not stupid but the truth. Take out penalties and stick to general play its poor. Goes through a game doing nothing but low percentage hollywood passes, chasing shadows most of the time and has stat padded his way into conversations with Scholes. But go on lets keep making excuses for low IQ football while Arsenal keeper has more completes passes in the game.

dal

Wouldn’t have any other player in the league over him. Just Brilliant.

Strelok

Not stupid but the truth. Take out penalties and stick to general play its poor. Goes through a game doing nothing but low percentage hollywood passes, chasing shadows most of the time and has stat padded his way into conversations with Scholes. But go on lets keep making excuses for low IQ football while Arsenal keeper has more completes passes in the game.
Tbh I've lost words with you :lol:

Probably one of the most clueless and football wise inept posters I've come across here. Don't know why you seem to hate Bruno that much though. I won't waste my time with you, it'll be pointless anyway. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.