Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Thought he showed glimpses of what he can do namely his set piece ability and his ability to shoot from range.

48 hours in you truly could not have asked for a better debut, I doubt he even knows everyone’s name at the club off the top of his head yet.

Also for the people who doubted me on what position he plays (don’t know why considering I watched him every weekend) he is CLEARLY a #10. It also did not help that Ole player him deeper. God knows why? Literally nonsensical thing to do.

Nonetheless MOTM Performance 48 hours after arriving is solid and he will be a good player for United no doubt about it. He has qualities that no one else has at the club that would be very beneficial for United.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Did okay but he probably found it strange that the entire match was played at testimonial pace with virtually no atmosphere to urge the players on. That was one of the deadest 90 minutes I've watched in years.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Thought he showed glimpses of what he can do namely his set piece ability and his ability to shoot from range.

48 hours in you truly could not have asked for a better debut, I doubt he even knows everyone’s name at the club off the top of his head yet.

Also for the people who doubted me on what position he plays (don’t know why considering I watched him every weekend) he is CLEARLY a #10. It also did not help that Ole player him deeper. God knows why? Literally nonsensical thing to do.

Nonetheless MOTM Performance 48 hours after arriving is solid and he will be a good player for United no doubt about it. He has qualities that no one else has at the club that would be very beneficial for United.
Ole doesn't know what he's doing. It's no longer an opinion. It's a fact.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Although he has small body frame, it's hard to get the ball from him. He's got skill, and always moving. Thus he didn't have to use his body to "shield" the ball for ball retention.

I think that's a sign of very good player.

AshRK

Players like Bruno cannot flourish if there are no strikers to pass to. If martial gave us the movements like Jiminez was giving then it would have been a different story. It was a decent debut but we were just expecting him to do all by himself.

mu4c_20le

I was really disappointed when he shot it straight at the keeper when he had that one chance. Those were the moments we bought him for, to turn these bore draws into wins.

peridigm

Looked ok. Shame he had to play so deep in the second half
I'm probably going to regret saying this but Matic will be back against Chelsea so Bruno should be able to play his natural position. Hopefully anyway.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I was really disappointed when he shot it straight at the keeper when he had that one chance. Those were the moments we bought him for, to turn these bore draws into wins.
He might need more than 2 minutes to get adapted.

Thought he generally looked more mobile, with better technique and purpose than the rest.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Physically underwhelming - might take some time to adapt tbh but also felt he’s too deep compared to his ideal position. Flashes of excellence nt though in a largely forgettable debut.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Thought he looked well. Confident on the ball, wanted to move forward, was always looking to do something, which is something we don't have enough of. Had a few sighters and clearly has a cracking shot on him, which we'll no doubt see more of.

People suggesting he was poor sums up their ability to gauge football in my opinion, which explains a lot of the barmy behaviour here.
A1.

Amir

He was OK. Nothing less, but nothing more. I find those stats funny. You don't spend 50m on a player who can make a lot of simple passes and shots that are never going to beat the keeper. The numbers that count here are key passes and actually threatning shots.

It's just the start, of course. I expect he'll be scoring here and there. I also think he'll struggle to make the sort of impact through his passing he used to have in Portugal, with our lack of movement to create space for him to pass to.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yet that is exactly what some posters were asking for, guys in a no win situation really.
He was getting enough of the ball in the first half when he was pushed slightly further upfield where he clearly looked a threat.
You dont move a player like Fernandes with the scoring abilities he has back.
The f*ck is Ole on?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Agree. Hugely apparent it was a dumb move on Ole's part.
Sure lets take this goal-scoring midfielder and let him play away from goal.
Laughable. Not going anywhere soon with this incompetence running through the club.

Andersonson

What is Ole's option?

Atleast Bruno can play CM. Andreas cant. He has proven that time after time.

Mata needed to start, because of form and lack of options. And you dont play him on the wing... If he had played Mata as LF, Andreas as CM and Bruno in the no. 10 we could've lost...

For the sake of the team and the best option today was to give Bruno his debut as a CM.

There werent really any options with all the injuries and Matic suspension.

Geekie

That nearly perfect combination between Pereira and Shaw in the second half was the match highlight for me

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What is Ole's option?

Mata needed to start, because of form and lack of options. And you dont play him on the wing... If he had played Mata as LF, Andreas as CM and Bruno in the no. 10 we could've lost...

For the sake of the team and the best option today was to give Bruno his debut as a CM.

So you would take a guy who's been in a rich scoring form for 2 seasons now and move him away from goal ,when we clearly needed a goal or abit of creativity ?
Did you watch his 2nd half performance ? He clearly did not look comfortable being that further back.

Again, Fernandes role in the side was good in the 1st half so why change it ?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
That nearly perfect combination between Pereira and Shaw in the second half was the match highlight for me
When pereira rolled the ball to absolutely nobody and the only panick pass he was capable of making was a pass to a fully marked Shaw?

My favourite pereira moment was in the second half when he expected Fred or Bruno would let him take the freekick on the edge of the box. Maguire had to talk him out of it.

Andersonson

So you would take a guy who's been in a rich scoring form for 2 seasons now and move him away from goal ,when we clearly needed a goal or abit of creativity ?
Did you watch his 2nd half performance ? He clearly did not look comfortable being that further back.

Simply because of lack of other options. I dont think Ole wants to play him there.. But he simply had to

Art Vandelay

Because we had literally no one else to play deeper. Pereira was a complete non-entity. Like a lot of other things in our team due to injuries and a poor squad we are having to use players versatility to get us through matches. Bruno could do a job deeper, Pereira couldn't. Although Pereira couldn't really do a job anywhere, it was better getting him on to the wing where Wolves couldn't go straight through him. Also Bruno was being wasted as a 10 in the first half as no one could seemingly see him standing in space to pass the ball to him. I think he got more of it in the second half by playing deeper.

It will most likely change when we get some more midfielders back and can drop Pereira too.

meninred

we should see him as an addition to midfield not our messiah.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Simply because of lack of other options. I dont think Ole wants to play him there.. But he simply had to
Ole didn't have to. Again why move him back when he was looking confident in effecting our play in a positive manner in the 1st half ?

Also you say this wont be a regular thing,I beg to differ. If Pogba goes I fully expect Ole to use Fernandes in the same manner in a deeper role.
Ole wouldn't have done that move today if he wasn't looking further down the line.

Geekie

When pereira rolled the ball to absolutely nobody and the only panick pass he was capable of making was a pass to a fully marked Shaw?

My favourite pereira moment was in the second half when he expected Fred or Bruno would let him take the freekick on the edge of the box. Maguire had to talk him out of it.
Yeah that too, the guy needs to be on the bench until we figure out a position he can play without being hopeless at it

NoPace

Decent debut. Good threat from long range and as a long passer and crosser. Hero type with his vision, looking to hit a hollywood ball instead of keep it, which is good and bad. Average mobility. Looks like he'll make the most sense as one of the 2 #8s in a 4-3-3, this season alongside Pogba and in front of Fred and next season who knows?

Basically what he's looked like for Portugal when I've seen him. Sorta like Wesley Sneijder when he was very good but not great at Madrid or Galatasaray and not the 2-3 year period he was incredible for Inter and the Dutch.

croadyman

Decent debut. Good threat from long range and as a long passer and crosser. Hero type with his vision, looking to hit a hollywood ball instead of keep it, which is good and bad. Average mobility. Looks like he'll make the most sense as one of the 2 #8s in a 4-3-3, this season alongside Pogba and in front of Fred and next season who knows?

Basically what he's looked like for Portugal when I've seen him. Sorta like Wesley Sneijder when he was very good but not great at Madrid or Galatasaray and not the 2-3 year period he was incredible for Inter and the Dutch.
[/QUOTE
I don't expect to see the best of him until we have McTominay and Pogba back from injury and match sharp again, I am certainly not going to write off a player when he is quite clearly playing out of position for the good of the team at the moment.

ManchesterYoda

Disappointing debut. The only positive was 2 good shots on target. He gave the ball away way too much. No way should he play as a CM. He's a no.10 and should only play as a no.10. Best position might in fact be a false 9 in a front 3. NOT A CM. NO NO NO.

dogwithabone

The whole match was pretty average and I thought Fernandes fell into that category too. I have a good feeling about him for the future though. He looks like a player who wants to be on the ball and try and make something happen.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What is Ole's option?

Maybe play one of the CB as DM?
I know it’s a wild theory that require thinking waayy.. outside the box .

Aouer-United

I think I'll give Wolve more credit for their defensively, hard to find space, they don't look like they were out of positioning.

Bruno could cross more from half-space if he wants but he probably knew they won't gunning down at the far post to score a goal from his crossing.

I love his breaking line, he is not overcomplicating everything, just let the game flowing around him and didn't look out of place.

Far as I have seen, he's promising, there's a lot of good signs in him but he hasn't set fire on the world, it'll take time and adapting to the league.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Although he has small body frame, it's hard to get the ball from him. He's got skill, and always moving. Thus he didn't have to use his body to "shield" the ball for ball retention.

I think that's a sign of very good player.
He did for the most part cope with the pressure from Wolves very well. Was worried about that and while he had some moments where he didn't cover himself in glory, his technique was refreshing to watch. We have to be hopeful he can adapt and become a consistent functioning part of this team, that's just what's needed right now.

TypeR

I thought his technique was excellent, and unfortunately had to be moved further back to get involved because when he was playing in his natural 10 position, we basically had no one who could pass the pass to him. It was obvious. Pereira was faffing about as usual struggling with the pace of the game, and Fred, while winning the ball back tenaciously all game, isn’t going to consistently ping balls in between the lines to the 10. Bruno was pretty isolated at the start.

It was a no brainer to shift Mata - who can play as a 10 - in, shift Bruno back where he can get more of the ball, and Andreas Pereira out wide. I just don’t know why Ole persevered with Pereira for as long as he did. Would’ve yanked him at half time and thrown on Greenwood or Dalot.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He did ok, got a few good shots outside the box, and was near and tidy. But he is no Pogba, he can’t pull the magic alone. We need Pogba back ASAP and we will have some good creative duel from midfield.

HowYouDoin

Man I sure hope this isnt another Pogba situation where we just cant get his position right and week in week out we debate whether he is a number 8 or a number 10, should he play deeper, closer to the goal etc.

The way I see it, in 4-3-3 play Pogba on the left, Bruno on the right. Fred or McTominay in the middle. Voila.
But if we play 4-2-3-1 then yeah he is probably a number 10.

He'sRaldo

Man I sure hope this isnt another Pogba situation where we just cant get his position right and week in week out we debate whether he is a number 8 or a number 10, should he play deeper, closer to the goal etc.

The way I see it, in 4-3-3 play Pogba on the left, Bruno on the right. Fred or McTominay in the middle. Voila.
But if we play 4-2-3-1 then yeah he is probably a number 10.
When Pogba comes back this shouldn't matter that much, as they both will be able to find each other from deep. Hopefully playing both together will make it harder to mark either out of the game, as they can both operate deeper or higher up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Average peformance to kick start his Manchester United career in what was an average (to be kind) team peformance.

I've been skeptical of us signing an attacking midfielder who isn't a dribbler, doesn't have physicality or speed on his side, isn't great in tight spaces and isn't a true playmaker. And his peformance was in line with that. He doesn't have the natural gifts on the ball to stand apart. But it's very very early days and this was just a glimpse. Someone compared to Lampard. And he would have also struggled in that team today. Whereas let's say someone like Modric or Iniesta obviously would stand out more. If he can be our Lampard everyone will be delighted. But it has to be said that Lampard did much more than score.

Anyhoo early days but not a very good start which was in line with my initial impression of the player. Hope he goes from strength to strength and shows how qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.