Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
htps://i.imgur.com/CKm1Zsn.png

Stats spoke for itself, he needs people ahead of him to make the moves and runs.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So you made up your mind already and aren't even gonna afford him the time to adapt to the PL?
Sorry, it comes across that way, I know, but no, I haven't made my mind up on him.

I did see a fair bit of him at Sporting and didn't want him as a result, but he's here now so I hope I end up being wrong. Clean slate and all that.

el3mel

Completely agree, out of all our current players Matić is the best one for this role.
It will be hard for Matic at his age to do all the dirty work by himself like what Fernandinho was doing for KDB and Silva. Scott is still young and can afford that imo but we can always buy a defensive midfielder if we want.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It will be hard for Matic at his age to do all the dirty work by himself like what Fernandinho was doing for KDB and Silva. Scott is still young and can afford that imo but we can always buy a defensive midfielder if we want.
True but in the games where we will dominate I reckon it will be alright, proper pin teams in the way City do.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Are people forgetting that wolves are a very tough side to beat? Both city and Liverpool only just scrapped past them.

this isn’t the game to judge him.

the fact this was deemed a poor game when he hardly put a foot wrong excites me.

you can see he was surprised with how poor the teams movement is, he was waving his arms telling them to push forward plenty in the match.

Bestietom

You could see Fernandes has it, but he needs more intelegent movement from the players around him.

Lentwood

I think what you’re getting with Fernandes is a player who takes risks. I wouldn’t worry too much about pass completion stats, we need a player willing to try and force the issue

Look at Juan Mata, the most cowardly attacking football on the planet. I bet his pass completion stats are great because he plays zero risk football.

Ive seen enough to think we’ve got a good player. Whether we have a top, top player I’m not sure, will reserve judgement for a while yet though

I also liked the fact he clearly has confidence and a bit of bite

Bestietom

Are people forgetting that wolves are a very tough side to beat? Both city and Liverpool only just scrapped past them.

this isn’t the game to judge him.

the fact this was deemed a poor game when he hardly put a foot wrong excites me.

you can see he was surprised with how poor the teams movement is, he was waving his arms telling them to push forward plenty in the match.
Wolves beat City, didn't they.

ottosec

He looked about a second faster than our other players in the start of the game, but he quickly adapted to our graveyard pace.

fps

The knee jerk reactions on here, place is full of idiots. Judge him after 6 months of playing regularly.

AFC NimbleThumb

I was very impressed, he showed a composure & willingness on the ball tgat only Pogba possess & even if the latter does leave hopefully we get a few months of these 2 in tandem with Fred to show us what a proper midfield 3 can look like.

With the front 4 yesterday his passes were hard to materialise, the thought of him supplying Rashford & a better set of attacking midfielders has me intrigued.

It’s a shame we buy a player like this & he’s the playing alongside dross ahead of him - good start imo.

Devil may care

He played the #10 role like Lingard, just safely prodding the ball back where it came from, not taking it on the half turn and getting us attacking. I actually thought he did better when he moved deeper, there were plenty of loose passes but that's how he is, at least he seems to be able to cope with the pace of the PL straight away, he didn't look overwhelmed like many do at first.

Bestietom

He played the #10 role like Lingard, just safely prodding the ball back where it came from, not taking it on the half turn and getting us attacking. I actually thought he did better when he moved deeper, there were plenty of loose passes but that's how he is, at least he seems to be able to cope with the pace of the PL straight away, he didn't look overwhelmed like many do at first.
He is certainly not one for a deeper role. He is a number 8 and likes to arrive late in the box and shoot.

fps

I was very impressed, he showed a composure & willingness on the ball tgat only Pogba possess & even if the latter does leave hopefully we get a few months of these 2 in tandem with Fred to show us what a proper midfield 3 can look like.

With the front 4 yesterday his passes were hard to materialise, the thought of him supplying Rashford & a better set of attacking midfielders has me intrigued.

It’s a shame we buy a player like this & he’s the playing alongside dross ahead of him - good start imo.
His ability to control tempo and pick a penetrating pass forward was to only matched by Martial’s failure then to quicken the tempo or control the ball.

fezzerUTD

Occasionally threads show exactly why there are so many ABUs out there. The arrogance and entitlement that we are often accused of are clearly on display.

The guy has just got off the plane, into a new country, moving his family etc. and after one training session, ONE!, is thrown into a game against a team we have played a lot this season and consistently struggled to break down, and was immediately on the pace to the extent he is clearly a step above our current midfielders, and he is already being written off as not good enough?!

Good grief people, some of you lot deserve a period supporting a team in the doldrums, it might give you some perspective.

We won't know his true quality until next season, and when he has better players around him.

"He likes a shot from range". Did any of you see the game yesterday? What else was he supposed to do? There was little to no movement in front of him, and it was usually Martial v 5 defenders.

"He lost possession a lot". Yes, because he was trying to be creative, and having to take high-risk passes to do so due to the lack of movement. Otherwise you'd all be criticising him for being Ray Wilkins reincarnated.

"Why was he playing next to Fred?". Did you see Pereira in the first half? We would have lost had that continued.

This place, Jesus wept. It's like listening to Liverpool fans in the 1990s.
Spot on 100%.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If the longterm idea/plan is for Fernandes to be Pogba's eventual replacement in a deeper role then we're essentially taking away one of his most noticeable,effective attributes in scoring and assisting higher upfield by trying to forcefully make him adapt into a role that is clearly not his.

He's been playing further upfield for the last 3,4 seasons and now we may change his game into something completely different when he's practically reaching his peak.

Basically,It would be classic United to make him into something he isn't.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Occasionally threads show exactly why there are so many ABUs out there. The arrogance and entitlement that we are often accused of are clearly on display.

The guy has just got off the plane, into a new country, moving his family etc. and after one training session, ONE!, is thrown into a game against a team we have played a lot this season and consistently struggled to break down, and was immediately on the pace to the extent he is clearly a step above our current midfielders, and he is already being written off as not good enough?!

Good grief people, some of you lot deserve a period supporting a team in the doldrums, it might give you some perspective.

We won't know his true quality until next season, and when he has better players around him.

"He likes a shot from range". Did any of you see the game yesterday? What else was he supposed to do? There was little to no movement in front of him, and it was usually Martial v 5 defenders.

"He lost possession a lot". Yes, because he was trying to be creative, and having to take high-risk passes to do so due to the lack of movement. Otherwise you'd all be criticising him for being Ray Wilkins reincarnated.

"Why was he playing next to Fred?". Did you see Pereira in the first half? We would have lost had that continued.

And as a BIG note: me and other pt folks here warned he's not an 80%+ passing player because he rather take risks and make an opening pass to the target striker to force the defense to close in the middle and leave space for wide players then playing it safe. He's a different profile, he's a player that gambles with small chances and a lot of times they seem to happen

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
And as a BIG note: me and other pt folks here warned he's not an 80%+ passing player because he rather take risks and make an opening pass to the target striker to force the defense to close in the middle and leave space for wide players then playing it safe. He's a different profile, he's a player that gambles with small chances and a lot of times they seem to happen
Which is precisely why potentially converting him into a deep-lying midfielder is,frankly,dumb.

Last edited:

thepolice123

People underestimate how easy his debut could have ended in a complete disaster under the ridiculous circumstances. It could be like that Evra debut many years back where he got torn to shreds and hauled off at HT. Everyone slagged him off the next day, it was horrible. This guy played in a much tougher position, not mentioning the fact it wasn't even a position he is good at, and had lesser time to acclimatise. It was a decent debut and he definitely showed his class.

Bobade

Personally I was impressed with his debut. His passing already looks a cut above most of our players and I like his positioning. Shot looks like it could be good too, which is ideal since our threat from outside the box is currently minimal.

I was fairly surprised about how good he was, given the fact that he was thrown into the deep end in a more difficult league with barely any time to work with the team. Definitely looking forward to seeing the impact he can have over the next few months and next season. I do think it will take some time for him to reach his full level though. Hopefully it's not misplaced optimism.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
I don't understand why people expecting him to play like a 10 when he is the archetypal 8. He's not Messi weaving about through defenders to deliver killer pass/shoot. He will be most effective when there's a bit of space in front of him. Arriving late to the box, latching onto loose balls and cutbacks. He takes riskier passes and obviously he needs movements to aim at.

Venkman24

Lineup Prediction League Runner-up 2014/15
From what I saw he swapped with Pereira after about 30 minutes, probably because Pereira was so bad at CM. Looking forward to seeing him play a full game at AM.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Hopefully next game Matic or someone will get the nod behind him instead of Pereira and we'll look altogether less shite. Wouldn't mind an actual winger getting some minutes on the left either e.g. Chong of we still struggle to create.

DCP

I think I was watching a different game, I thought he looked good. Looked to make things happen and confident on the ball. Cannot wait for Pogba, Rashford and McT to be fit.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
He was always looking for the ball which is an improvement over some of our players who can't wait to get rid of it as soon as it touches their feet.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think the majority of fans here are more critical of Ole's use of him than the performance of the player,which was solid.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Thought Bruno did well in his debut, he wanted to get on the ball all the time and make things happen, unfortunately our front players wasn’t making any runs for him.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Can someone post the videos/gifs of him commanding people to correct positional movements? The one with AWB, the one with James and the multiple ones with Lingard. It was pathetic. You'd think he walked into a team of amateurs that are only used to playing in playgrounds with no football tactical knowledge.

The one with Lingard was beyond painful to watch. Bruno picks up the ball in RCM area - he has AWB to his right and Bruno looks center to get an attack going. The logical sequence of attacking play here is: Lingard picks up a dangerous spot in #10, gets the ball (traps it for once), draws players to him, AWB/Greenwood is making an off ball run down the right channel, Lingard feeds him in and we have a chance for our ST, RW, LW, LCM etc. Instead: Lingard moves from center and joins the right channel AWB is in. Completely negating any responsibility from picking up the ball in the #10 hole and making AWB AND Greenwood completely redundant in one swift move - literally making us 9v11. These cowardly movements are pathological to the team's inability to create any form of efficient attack.

EDIT: Numerous videos of him teaching these idiots how to play football. Here's the lingard one:

By the end of the game Bruno must have been confused if he had joined a sunday league team or a premier league team

Last edited:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Obviously he was playing a lot deeper than he should, but I still liked what I saw from him. When we get some of our midfielders back then he can be more effective.

the break is good for him to Gel with the team and be more comfortable with the players around him, and their limitations.

Devil may care

He is certainly not one for a deeper role. He is a number 8 and likes to arrive late in the box and shoot.
I actually thought he had more impact on the game when he switched roles, it's not ideal but I'm not sure under Ole what works best as our team lacks a clear playing ethos when we are in possession.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Was hardly expected to set the world on fire 2 days after signing for a new club and a new league but I seen enough to make me think he'll be an intricate part of our team for years to come. Already pointing to team mates telling them where to play the ball and telling players where to move to in his first game which is more than Ole has done after being in charge for more than a year.

Dinghy

By the end of the game Bruno must have been confused if he had joined a sunday league team or a premier league team
At least it didn't take him much time to adapt to the low level.

Don't think I've seen a worse United-debut, taking into consideration he'll cost us 65 million. With that said, he will come good, but there's no reason to pretend like he had a good game.

Amarsdd

I have the same sorta expectations of the caf as I have of the republicans and Trump. So I'm never surprised by what I read here. At least, they don't have any influence on the club as the republicans do on this country.

dev1l

I have the same sorta expectations of the caf as I have of the republicans and Trump. So I'm never surprised by what I read here. At least, they don't have any influence on the club as the republicans do on this country.
Same here. The place is full of self proclaimed experts claiming everyone except themselves is shit.
They invent shit themselves like the Brexit FC fantasy.
Sad lot really

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

Don't think I've seen a worse United-debut, taking into consideration he'll cost us 65 million. With that said, he will come good, but there's no reason to pretend like he had a good game.
I cant believe someones made a propaganda vid of everything he didnt do great just to say he was mad. Its like people want to force the false narrative that every single thing united do is bad.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I cant believe someones made a propaganda vid of everything he didnt do great just to say he was mad. Its like people want to force the false narrative that every single thing united do is bad.
Unfortunately, he was bad, though. When he plays well, which will hopefully be against Chelsea, I'm sure they'll be a video showing his best bits.

Against Wolves, he only did two decent things. The first being that he resisted an opposition players press, turned, and managed to help us keep on the pressure when we had them pinned back. The second was his free kick, which was at least on target.

Aside from those two things, his performance consisted of safe passing and giving the ball away. A lot.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Could easily do video of the good stuff he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.