Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Of course it is dangerous, but we would have not qualified to the CL without him. Not only did he score and assist many times, but he also converted 100% of the penalties - and we (Man Utd fans) know better than very many others, what it is to miss penalties.

Under Ole’a system, we somehow manage to win many penalties, and the skill of converting them is valuable per se, very valuable.
It has worked out in the short-term; it can also be the ruin of a player. Further to that, we'll see what the genuine fallout is through the remainder of 2020 and into 2021. He may have a Lampard/Charlton/C.Ronaldo etc. Constitution far beyond what normal types can endure, he may not.

The reasons why we kept playing him are obvious, but it's something that should never happen again at a club with the resources we have.

Alemar

The reasons why we kept playing him are obvious, but it's something that should never happen again at a club with the resources we have.
Certainly OGS understands the needs. But he was fighting for his own job as well - what choice did he have? Now let’s just hope that Sancho and someone else is signed to strengthen our attacking contingent

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I don't think he has enough quality to pull of the majority of the passes that he attempts. He often messes up simple passes as well. If Pogba was attempting as many as him he'd have a much higher success rate in my opinion. There needs to be a balance. Hopefully its just exhaustion. We will see next year, but I agree with @Rozay that ideally he would be a squad player/potent bench option.
:lol:

Rajma

Rawkish but you have to just look at the table since his debut to see the sort impact he's had on us (he's actually yet to taste a PL loss).

1. Man Utd – 32 points
2. Man City – 30 points
3. Liverpool – 29 points
4. Arsenal – 26 points
5. Chelsea – 26 points
6. Tottenham – 25 points
7. Wolves – 25 points
8. Burnley – 24 points
9. Southampton – 21 points
10. Sheff Utd – 21 points
11. Everton – 19 points
12. West Ham – 16 points
13. Brighton – 16 points
14. Leicester – 14 points
15. Newcastle – 14 points
16. Crystal Palace – 13 points
17. Bournemouth – 11 points
18. Watford – 11 points
19. Aston Villa – 10 points
20. Norwich – 4 points

kidbob

:lol: Sometimes I forget how much of a freak Messi is when this is his contribution in a 'poor' season for him.

Anyway Bruno is class and I won't judge him on the last few games when he is clearly wrecked. We need to give the players time to rest now, play the second team in the second leg and have them ready for the quarter finals.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think he has enough quality to pull of the majority of the passes that he attempts. He often messes up simple passes as well. If Pogba was attempting as many as him he'd have a much higher success rate in my opinion. There needs to be a balance. Hopefully its just exhaustion. We will see next year, but I agree with @Rozay that ideally he would be a squad player/potent bench option.
I knew when I said what I said that it was not the time to have the conversation. I think too much ‘storyline’ is involved in football; and the storyline of Bruno’s transfer is a certain way at present. Perhaps after more recent disappointments, or maybe just after hearing every single storyline 10 times in all my time watching football and then seeing how things actually turn out - I’ve been trying to take all emotion and narrative out of watching football recently. For me, I don’t see him as a too bracket player. A good one for sure, but more Eriksen class than anything more. Watching him, it looks to me that when we inevitably stop getting penalties every week, people will focus more on the rest. Right now, the storyline has written that every failing is fine because he is fatigued and ‘takes risks’. There have been so many very easily completed passes that have gone astray, and it’s been incredibly frustrating. There’s no way that can be dressed up as a good thing. It will be for now, but I can almost guarantee that once the novelty of him being new has worn off, once we get a Sancho perhaps and the storyline now loves to how he is the mew saviour - Bruno’s current standard of passing will be far from acceptable all of a sudden.

Despite the talk of ‘risk’ - his quality of passing is simply too low for me. I’d back Pogba to complete a fair more final passes than he is completing out of the situations he finds himself in, and when he actually moves further forward, he actually seems to do so.

Depending on what we do in the longer term, I expect his place to come under threat, just because I don’t see that bracket of quality that guarantees you a starting spot at a club like ours. Even a player like Grealish who many would like as a ‘backup’. If he comes in, I think he’d fancy taking Bruno for that starting spot. Strip away all the ‘he’s give everyone a lift’ and similar narrative - the actual footballing quality isn’t a level that Grealish will feel he can’t match IMO. Aside from scoring about 8 penalties, I don’t see any superior ability between Bruno and Grealish since he’s been here.

Just to close, I think he’s been a fantastic signing, so far. He’s come in at a fair price, and transformed the mood of the team and the club. Once a new season starts, that will matter little anymore I think. He won’t be the last one in anymore for a start. In terms of quality, he’s given us a huge boost, just by being positive even, with the likes of Lingard and Pereira so poor and offering no attacking threat at all. I think he is the level of player we need in our squad, and even in the team, I just don’t think he’s the quality for untouchable status.

I didn’t want to say it initially, as it obviously wasn’t going to be received well. Although I guess it’s better, because if things went that way later and I dared to say it, I’d be called reactionary and the rest. And to repeat, I think he’s a good player. No doubt people will confront me everytime he does something good now, but I expect him to. He’s a good player. Just not in the De Bruyne, Sterling, Salah, Kane, Van Dijk, Trent bracket of player as is being implied. Anyone below that tier can be upgraded at some point for a top side. We’ve seen that once De Gea has dropped from Godly to something less. We’ll see that Henderson, POTY and captain isn’t in the same untouchable bracket as some of his teammates.

paulscholes18

Very fortunate that Spurs backed out of the deal last summer.
Did have a good game yesterday but still produced the moment of quality with that pass to Martial

Devil may care

That penalty run up makes me as nervy as Pogba's but he's been huge for the team, hopefully this is just the start, i liked his interview after the match.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Had a few very poor games towards the end but never stopped trying - even though he was clearly struggling to get around the pitch. Even running on fumes he's got a great attitude.

Devil may care

I knew when I said what I said that it was not the time to have the conversation. I think too much ‘storyline’ is involved in football; and the storyline of Bruno’s transfer is a certain way at present. Perhaps after more recent disappointments, or maybe just after hearing every single storyline 10 times in all my time watching football and then seeing how things actually turn out - I’ve been trying to take all emotion and narrative out of watching football recently. For me, I don’t see him as a too bracket player. A good one for sure, but more Eriksen class than anything more. Watching him, it looks to me that when we inevitably stop getting penalties every week, people will focus more on the rest. Right now, the storyline has written that every failing is fine because he is fatigued and ‘takes risks’. There have been so many very easily completed passes that have gone astray, and it’s been incredibly frustrating. There’s no way that can be dressed up as a good thing. It will be for now, but I can almost guarantee that once the novelty of him being new has worn off, once we get a Sancho perhaps and the storyline now loves to how he is the mew saviour - Bruno’s current standard of passing will be far from acceptable all of a sudden.

Despite the talk of ‘risk’ - his quality of passing is simply too low for me. I’d back Pogba to complete a fair more final passes than he is completing out of the situations he finds himself in, and when he actually moves further forward, he actually seems to do so.

Depending on what we do in the longer term, I expect his place to come under threat, just because I don’t see that bracket of quality that guarantees you a starting spot at a club like ours. Even a player like Grealish who many would like as a ‘backup’. If he comes in, I think he’d fancy taking Bruno for that starting spot. Strip away all the ‘he’s give everyone a lift’ and similar narrative - the actual footballing quality isn’t a level that Grealish will feel he can’t match IMO. Aside from scoring about 8 penalties, I don’t see any superior ability between Bruno and Grealish since he’s been here.

Just to close, I think he’s been a fantastic signing, so far. He’s come in at a fair price, and transformed the mood of the team and the club. Once a new season starts, that will matter little anymore I think. He won’t be the last one in anymore for a start. In terms of quality, he’s given us a huge boost, just by being positive even, with the likes of Lingard and Pereira so poor and offering no attacking threat at all. I think he is the level of player we need in our squad, and even in the team, I just don’t think he’s the quality for untouchable status.

I didn’t want to say it initially, as it obviously wasn’t going to be received well. Although I guess it’s better, because if things went that way later and I dared to say it, I’d be called reactionary and the rest. And to repeat, I think he’s a good player. No doubt people will confront me everytime he does something good now, but I expect him to. He’s a good player. Just not in the De Bruyne, Sterling, Salah, Kane, Van Dijk, Trent bracket of player as is being implied. Anyone below that tier can be upgraded at some point for a top side. We’ve seen that once De Gea has dropped from Godly to something less. We’ll see that Henderson, POTY and captain isn’t in the same untouchable bracket as some of his teammates.
I think these are all fair points that you'll be crucified for, he's transferred his Portuguese league form directly to the PL in a way i never thought he would, and he has a great attitude. Second season is often the biggest long term indicator for better or worse for most imports.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

You are a good poster and you are entitled to your opinion but I don’t think you are right here. I’m not gonna give you a long winded post to explain why but all I’ll say is I think we definitely have a player here on the level of those guys you mentioned, and that will be further proven in time.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You are a good poster and you are entitled to your opinion but I don’t think you are right here. I’m not gonna give you a long winded post to explain why but all I’ll say is I think we definitely have a player here on the level of those guys you mentioned, and that will be further proven in time.
Think this is a fair reply, I actually understand where they’re coming from, and agree that the second season is where we will see just how good he is!

Hopefully he can continue to be productive and maybe improve his all round game to grow from being a more ‘moments’ player.

He’s been class though and if we can get Sancho we’re in a great position going forward.

CM10

He looked awful for large parts of yesterday's game (understandably given the number of games he's had to play) but what a signing he has been.

A lot of fuss was made by opposition fans when he was floated for team of the season but he undeniably gets in. When you think back to how bleak things looked after that Burnley loss in January, finishing 3rd with this team is incredible. 6 points off Chelsea and 14 off Leicester at that time.

7 assists in the league since his arrival (more than de Bruyne in the same period) and 15 goal contributions in 14 games. 11 excluding penalties for the cynics out there. Crazy impact.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
10 goals and 9 assists in half a season is remarkable tbh. Guy is so ridiculously productive. Great engine on him too, but naturally when you're shattered physically, the overall quality of game dips as it has the last few weeks. Still proven himself to be a player that can deliver even when he's having a poor game though. We desperately need depth for him, but hes the best signing we've made post Sir Alex by a distance and he'll be a key piece for years to come. Love him.

Donut

I agree with you completely.

I guess we'll soon know what his actual quality is, once he's fully rested and the exhaustion excuse is no longer viable. With that being said, it may very well have a bigger influence than I am attributing it. Hopefully he'll prove us wrong. And yes, we wouldn't get the CL without him, he had a very positive influence on the squad.

Mr PG

Fernandes biggest asset is not his passing but his football intelligence. His corner/freekick are exceptional and ssomething we've lacked for a loong time. He's had huge impact on other players like Martial who know the pass will always come. He also keep popping up in dangerous spots near opponents goal. Football intelligence unlikely to be affected by second season syndrome which usually affects youngsters due to pressure and other teams learning to play against them.

IAmAWinner

What an incredible signing he has been. Best signing post SAF for sure. Yeah he scored many penalties, but so what? If it was so easy, Chelsea would have another UCL for example.
For the negatives, at his worst, he reminds me Mkhitaryan a lot, as in can't even do the basics right, missing many easy through balls etc. But now he will get a well deserved rest. We need him fresh for the Europa League run in.

rotherham_red

I mean, it's not really a 'dress up'. He quite literally takes those risks as we can see it with our own two eyes. It's par for the course when playing in positions like his. His overall passing accuracy suffers but it's worth it as his passes are the ones which hurt teams.

Pogba is the better talent, absolutely, but we've generally seen in the tough times that Pogba is not always the one who shows up to be counted. I don't blame him for that anymore, he's just that sort of player and we have to accept that he has those shortcomings. If Pogba was deployed further ahead, our pressing game would suffer. It isn't his strength and we've seen that he himself didn't have the most enjoyable of experiences when deployed as the 10 for Juve. He made a much better fist of that role when he played in that position during Ole's initial purple patch, but it came at the cost of the team's overall balance.

Also, just as Pogba has his shortcomings, Bruno has his, but that's the beauty about a team sport: everyone's strengths and weaknesses mesh together to ensure that the team is more than the sum of its parts.

Also, it's interesting you mentioned KDB: by comparison, KDB's passing success rate is only 6% more than Bruno's in the PL, and that too in a Pep, possession-orientated team. It's what these sorts of players do. There isn't a player alive who can retain a passing rate of 85-90%+ AND who has a cutting edge to his game like Bruno has. If there was a player who had that sort of passing accuracy, they'd be deployed further back, like Pogba has for us because that sort of ability is better utilised there.

I also disagree on Bruno being merely good: a merely good player wouldn't elevate the team to the level that he did since he joined. That's a talismanic quality that only great players have, and quite frankly, the likely £60m that we'll pay for him is an absolute robbery of Sporting.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

SoCross

His last few games have been really poor to be fair to @Rozay & @Donut. Constantly misplacing passes, even the simplest ones. This can lead to line of thought that he isn't in the KDB bracket (the best attacking midfielder in the league) as the Belgian is much more assured. We will find out next season if it was one heck of a purple patch or if its fatigue playing a role. However despite him not having stellar games over the last stretch, he still has that uncanny ability to find space between the lines and his movement is very good. For me, this is a very promising quality and I think the impact he's had...can't deny this. Plus his work-rate is incredible.

He's the Lingard that was promised!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I appreciate the respectfulness in tour response. I’m not trying to score any points here or anything, I’m just not the type to be ‘swept along’ with regards to football opinion, and I just don’t see it the same way most others do, personally.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He looked awful for large parts of yesterday's game (understandably given the number of games he's had to play) but what a signing he has been.

A lot of fuss was made by opposition fans when he was floated for team of the season but he undeniably gets in. When you think back to how bleak things looked after that Burnley loss in January, finishing 3rd with this team is incredible. 6 points off Chelsea and 14 off Leicester at that time.

7 assists in the league since his arrival (more than de Bruyne in the same period) and 15 goal contributions in 14 games. 11 excluding penalties for the cynics out there. Crazy impact.
I would agree with all that if football was something I watched via Teletext and not with my eyes. Numbers are numbers, if that’s how you consume football.

tenpoless

That penalty run up makes me as nervy as Pogba's but he's been huge for the team, hopefully this is just the start, i liked his interview after the match.
The difference is you can see that his run up tricks the keeper. Before he hit the ball, Kasper went to buy an ice cream, defeated even before Bruno touched the ball.

CM10

I would agree with all that if football was something I watched via Teletext and not with my eyes. Numbers are numbers, if that’s how you consume football.
Good job he's passed the eye test too then

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Also, it's interesting you mentioned KDB: by comparison, KDB's passing success rate is only 6% more than Bruno's in the PL, and that too in a Pep, possession-orientated team. It's what these sorts of players do. There isn't a player alive who can retain a passing rate of 85-90%+ AND who has a cutting edge to his game like Bruno has. If there was a player who had that sort of passing accuracy, they'd be deployed further back, like Pogba has for us because that sort of ability is better utilised there.

I also disagree on Bruno being merely good: a merely good player wouldn't elevate the team to the level that he did since he joined. That's a talismanic quality that only great players have, and quite frankly, the likely £60m that we'll pay for him is an absolute robbery of Sporting.
Again, it’s about me using my eyes. I’m not against KDB or Bruno taking risks. What separates them as players for me is not their pass completions, it is simply ability. De Bruyne pulls things off that I don’t see others capable of doing. Bruno doesn’t, for me. Which is why I think De Bruyne is better. Nothing to do with passing stats, it’s just calibre, for me. I’m yet to actually see Bruno pull off the level of genius that De Bruyne cam, even if he has misplaced 20 passes prior. His 21st still isn’t of the capability of De Bruyne. I think only Pogba and Ozil can pull off some of that level of pass. Nothing to do with general completion, just focusing on level of genius.

And I agree with you that Bruno has been talismanic. But that isn’t a footballing talent. He has been the talisman we needed, undoubtedly. But I can see that the actual quality isn’t at the same standard as his leadership. There are some parallels to the praise McTominay was getting earlier for me. It was all for intangible ‘drive, leadership, character’ etc, and I’d say similar about Henderson at Liverpool this season. All are good players, but I don’t think they are the top bracket of talent. Their value is made up of other things, of course, but ultimately, I get the feeling that if a better player came along, they could be replaced.

Yesterday I was mentioning James Rodriguez with someone as an alternative 10 option to Grealish, which was generally pissed on. Name one football ability Bruno is better at than James. Because I don’t think there is any, personally. Pressing, perhaps.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good job he's passed the eye test too then
Well he obviously hasn’t, because most games have been ‘he was poor today, BUT’. If you took the emotion out of it, it is unlikely to be good enough. Especially if the but was he scored a penalty.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
10 goals and 9 assists in half a season is remarkable tbh. Guy is so ridiculously productive. Great engine on him too, but naturally when you're shattered physically, the overall quality of game dips as it has the last few weeks. Still proven himself to be a player that can deliver even when he's having a poor game though. We desperately need depth for him, but hes the best signing we've made post Sir Alex by a distance and he'll be a key piece for years to come. Love him.
His numbers are ridiculous. 47 goal contributions in 48 games for ManUtd and Sporting this season.

18 G+A in 19 starts for us.

bosnian_red

His last few games have been really poor to be fair to @Rozay & @Donut. Constantly misplacing passes, even the simplest ones. This can lead to line of thought that he isn't in the KDB bracket (the best attacking midfielder in the league) as the Belgian is much more assured. We will find out next season if it was one heck of a purple patch or if its fatigue playing a role. However despite him not having stellar games over the last stretch, he still has that uncanny ability to find space between the lines and his movement is very good. For me, this is a very promising quality and I think the impact he's had...can't deny this. Plus his work-rate is incredible.

He's not in De Bruynes tier, which is fine. The guy is on a level of his own in terms of midfielders. But in the tier below, Bruno is right up there along with anyone IMO. And of course its fatigue that kicked in, he's played a crazy amount of football over 1 month. Wouldn't say its a purple patch either, as he essentially carried on the same form he showed for the previous 1.5 seasons at Sporting, and the question was could he carry on the same level of effectiveness (which he has).

His workrate, attitude, mentality, drive, and leadership are all amazing and its been a massive benefit to us, as everyone has stepped it up a few levels since he came in and is the reason we went from a team who looked like we'd struggle to stay top 6 to a team who finished 3rd. Top of the league over 14 games since he joined the club. That impact can't be overstated. And you can't even say its due to fixtures, as since he joined the club, we played away to Chelsea, away to Leicester, away to Spurs and home to City during that run. Almost half a season. He's just turned us around and been the reason so many of those tight games have turned into wins where before we would drop points.

CM10

Well he obviously hasn’t, because most games have been ‘he was poor today, BUT’. If you took the emotion out of it, it is unlikely to be good enough. Especially if the but was he scored a penalty.
It's not most games, it's the last 4 or 5, where we've been playing every 3 days.

Whether he maintains the level next season is another question but his quality was obvious from his first few games - he's our best creator, his pressing is infectious and he has the mentality to succeed at this club. You can be pedantic and hone in on his faults but you can't have asked for any more of a January signing coming into this team.

bosnian_red

Ridiculous to say most games, and blatantly not true. Probably just the last 4-5 games where his level gradually dropped and the last 3 games where he has been poor I'd say. He won back to back PotM's, won loads of man of the match awards for us, etc. Once the fixtures started piling up and he kept playing almost the full game every game, yeah, the quality dipped. Expected. He played more than any other midfielder or attacker, and is someone who runs more than anyone.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Wonderful player. Looked tired last few games but his impact on this team has been nothing short of remarkable. Best signing we've made in a long long time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's not most games, it's the last 4 or 5, where we've been playing every 3 days.

Whether he maintains the level next season is another question but his quality was obvious from his first few games - he's our best creator, his pressing is infectious and he has the mentality to succeed at this club. You can be pedantic and hone in on his faults but you can't have asked for any more of a January signing coming into this team.
Well we’ve only played 14. It’s not as if he’s been brilliant for two seasons prior.

And I agree, I couldn’t have asked for a better signing in January. He’s our best #10, agreed too. The competition is Lingard and Pereira. I don’t think he’d necessarily be our best 10 if we signed Jack Grealish, however, who has a lot more quality than Lingard and Pereira.

Anyway, I’ve said what I’ve said. Time will tell the rest. Knowing the caf I’m probably about two posts shy of being put in some sort of ‘Bruno hater’ camp.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ridiculous to say most games, and blatantly not true. Probably just the last 4-5 games where his level gradually dropped and the last 3 games where he has been poor I'd say. He won back to back PotM's, won loads of man of the match awards for us, etc. Once the fixtures started piling up and he kept playing almost the full game every game, yeah, the quality dipped. Expected. He played more than any other midfielder or attacker, and is someone who runs more than anyone.
Yeah, also don't think next season schedule would be this bad. We played 4 games in 9-10 days and he played almost every min of that.

2 player of the month awards, in July - 7 goals + assists in 6 PL games.

rotherham_red

Have you seen KDB when he's had poor games? Southampton away this season for a start, or the more recent game against Arsenal in the FA Cup Semi? Every bit as bad (probably a little worse if I'm being honest) than any of Bruno's.

Good or even great players can have bad games from time to time. It happens. Even Messi and Ronaldo have had them.

Status
Not open for further replies.