5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

Now we have 2 constant moaners in the team.

Imagine the pressure. I disliked whining players in my team, but in this level playing for United, we need them.

Interesting to see, the day couldn't come soon enough.

Will Bruno be less whiny now that the real primadonna is back?

Mr Smith

So I've just re-watched the Wolves game, and Bruno really was awful. One of his worst games ever for us, nothing came off for him and he was constantly choosing the wrong option. The good news is that we know he has games like this from time to time and he'll play his way through it, but I do wonder whether sometimes it's just better to hook him in those situations. Bruno's status in the team is currently untouchable, and I'm not sure that's healthy. At the very least, I feel the coaching staff need to sit down with him and review some of his decision-making and positioning in the final third.

And before I get jumped on, I just want to make it clear that I love Bruno and think he's one of our best players, I'm just asking the question of whether it's right to persist with him in games where he's clearly not at it.

Nickelodeon

So I've just re-watched the Wolves game, and Bruno really was awful. One of his worst games ever for us, nothing came off for him and he was constantly choosing the wrong option. The good news is that we know he has games like this from time to time and he'll play his way through it, but I do wonder whether sometimes it's just better to hook him in those situations. Bruno's status in the team is currently untouchable, and I'm not sure that's healthy. At the very least, I feel the coaching staff need to sit down with him and review some of his decision-making and positioning in the final third.

And before I get jumped on, I just want to make it clear that I love Bruno and think he's one of our best players, I'm just asking the question of whether it's right to persist with him in games where he's clearly not at it.
While I agree with what you’ve said here, let me offer an alternate point of view.

Even in certain games where Bruno scores or assists, he has these moments where he looks like its not his day and things are not turning out for him. But he always has that one moment of quality which can lead to a goal, which is why he is so productive.

The point is that good game or bad game, Bruno has been our most potent threat for a goal. So despite everything, it is hard to imagine substituting Bruno when we need a goal. Not averse to trying it though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I agree about subbing out players who had poor games but I think Ole relies on them to come up with moment of magic.

Now with so many attackers hopefully he will start subbing out players when they play poorly. We will have very good bench too.

Mr Smith

While I agree with what you’ve said here, let me offer an alternate point of view.

Even in certain games where Bruno scores or assists, he has these moments where he looks like its not his day and things are not turning out for him. But he always has that one moment of quality which can lead to a goal, which is why he is so productive.

The point is that good game or bad game, Bruno has been our most potent threat for a goal. So despite everything, it is hard to imagine substituting Bruno when we need a goal. Not averse to trying it though.
That's a fair counterpoint, and even against Wolves he did have one such moment: the flick-on to Greenwood at the end of the first half that could have resulted in the opener.

I think I'd feel better about it if he would occasionally just try to keep it simple for 10 minutes when things aren't coming off, and recognise when we just need to play simple passes around our opponents to regain control of the game. But then you perhaps risk losing the magic he can produce. Which is why I'm leaning towards just hooking him when he's playing poorly. If you use Wolves as an example, the thing I personally would have done is taken him off and push Pogba (who was playing better) further forward. Doesn't have to happen often, but it's just a demonstration of the fact that we do have the creativity to cover his absence if we need to.

Overall though, it's a minor point. Certainly wasn't the biggest or the only problem against Wolves.

Strelok

Agreed with what you said regarding the Wolves match.

But realistically I don't know who we should sub him for. VDB is poor and he also has the same habit of making a lot of runs into the box, only with worse timing and at the end of those passes, if somehow he manages to get to he usually couldn't do a damn thing. Or Lingard? God know what we should do with him. At least with Bruno there we may scare our opponents a bit even if he is doing next to nothing.

I read somewhere that it actually was Ole who asked Bruno to play like he does currently. Because simply he's really good with that. I still remember a few instances when he drop deep, get the ball and look up there's no option to pass to because all our forwards were heavily marked, or too far from him or couldn't find any space to run to. Or an instance where he got a ball in the right, wait a bit and prepare to make a cross into the box but none of our forwards manage to make a run so he had to turn and pass the the ball back. He looked really pissed back then I think.

I agree he was poor, but it's not entirely on him imo. Other players were also responsible especially Sancho, James and our midfield.

Pronewbie

Peep
Agreed with what you said regarding the Wolves match.

But realistically I don't know who we should sub him for. VDB is poor and he also has the same habit of making a lot of runs into the box, only with worse timing and at the end of those passes, if somehow he manages to get to he usually couldn't do a damn thing. Or Lingard? God know what we should do with him. At least with Bruno there we may scare our opponents a bit even if he is doing next to nothing.

I read somewhere that it actually was Ole who asked Bruno to play like he does currently. Because simply he's really good with that. I still remember a few instances when he drop deep, get the ball and look up there's no option to pass to because all our forwards were heavily marked, or too far from him or couldn't find any space to run to. Or an instance where he got a ball in the right, wait a bit and prepare to make a cross into the box but none of our forwards manage to make a run so he had to turn and pass the the ball back. He looked really pissed back then I think.

I agree he was poor, but it's not entirely on him imo. Other players were also responsible especially Sancho, James and our midfield.
Cavani/Pogba can play his raumdeuter role.

Alemar

Excellent penalty vs Qatar. His first ever penalty taken and scored for Portugal

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Only Qatar …keeper nearly saved it

Am I doing this right ?

Dve

Wonderful assist from Bruno for Bernando Silva´s 1-0 goal against Azerbaijan.

Dve

Third last on their second goal just a few minutes later with another great ball into the box.

Dve

Should have had another assist, but some horrible finishing from Andre Silva. Bruno looks on tonight.

Tony247

I think this is enough now. Santos should sub Bruno at half.

Highfather_24

Bruno playing as a #10 today, rather than as a #8 as he usually plays for Portugal, he's playing much higher on the pitch. And he's obviously as we already know, is playing much better in that role.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Excellent performance. The first assist was sublime, should have had more assists and I’m giving him an assist for the second goal as well.

el3mel

That's Bruno for you, not really a good performance at all then he scores an absolute screamer. :D

Abraxas

Fairly subdued today but what a goal that was! Newcastle were letting us shoot from distance all game and eventually it came back to bite them.

Scottynaldinho

He'll not let us forget him easily. Expecting him to raise it up a notch to match, beat Ronnie.

What I really liked was that he seemed unfazed by Ronaldo and took chances at goals instead of passing him.

He's my man, Bruno!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think we'll see a few more like that this season. He'll feel more relaxed not being the main man

Strelok

What a cracking goal, you give him that much time and space you gotta be punished :devil:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He loses concentration quite often. Needs to take care of the ball better.

lost7

I like that he presses so much, makes up for CR7. Phenomenal strike btw

Augustus Gloop

Absolutely slapped that ball in. Comforting to see him so influential today despite Ronaldo, Pogba, Sancho etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.