Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That probably is not true at all.

EVERYONE complained he played as 2nd striker. Anyone ever actually looked at his heat maps for this game? You will be surprised.

It shows again people just have selected memory depending on what agenda they want to put out. It is like it is his own fault to run up and down for people to see it that way.

One more good post. There is no point posting heat map, players and team's pass map. People have already made up their minds, no matter what happens on the pitch they will come up with one image or one bit of play to confirm what they want to.

ClosetDevil

People being exceptionally harsh on him to be honest.

My main concern is actually how the arrival of CR7 is going to affect him. Bruno was "the man" before CR7's arrival. Let's hope his form doesn't slump just because of CR7's arrival, but instead it spurs him onto new heights.

Eddy_JukeZ

I feel like it's noticeable that he's been a bit deeper this season, but every time I talk with someone they'll go, "Bruno is like a second striker now."

The heat maps support it too.

Eddy_JukeZ

People being exceptionally harsh on him to be honest.

My main concern is actually how the arrival of CR7 is going to affect him. Bruno was "the man" before CR7's arrival. Let's hope his form doesn't slump just because of CR7's arrival, but instead it spurs him onto new heights.
It will not affect him at all. He and CR7 get along great and they're both players who want to win.

shahzy

I feel like it's noticeable that he's been a bit deeper this season, but every time I talk with someone they'll go, "Bruno is like a second striker now."

The heat maps support it too.
Before Ronaldo came, he was quite literally playing as a striker and making the runs behind. So much so that Fred and Pogba were exposed in midfield when Fred was having a shocker. He will play deeper NOW because Ronaldo is here, the goal burden has dropped off him massively and now he should be expected to be more balanced in assists and goals rather than just goals.

Yagami

Good post resistant
People only see what they want. Once the mind is made up you only pick out what fits the narrative. Was it his best performance? No. Was it "terrible"? No. I think it is very annoying that so many people try to make it look like Bruno is terrible beside his scorers. That is not true. He has some terrible moments and even very bad games sometimes. But for example today was far from "absolutely terrible", also without the goal.

Let's go through a few of his action a bit more detailed:

3:57: Brilliant chip to Ronaldo, incredibly hard to play that ball and the defender gets a slight touch with his head so Ronaldo can't controll, otherwise he would be through. Ball was very good.
6:55: Bruno makes a perfect run behind the line, Pogba finds him but a bit too high so he can only try to flick it on with his head, but Bruno was the only one who made a run so there was nobody. The ball from Pogba was quite good and the run was perfectly timed, fine margins and he is through on goal (and i think we all know that he can finish them)
29:18: Bruno shoots, doesn't hit the ball too good but Sancho was very close to get a touch on it and then it would still be an assist. Of course, not intended by Bruno, but his "bad" shot still nearly created a big chance/goal.
31:05: Bruno squares it to Sancho who gets a good shot away. Unfortunately shot gets blocked by the hand, to me it looked like it would have gone in otherwise. Definitely a penalty, i don't know how VAR could overlook this. TBH the ball was not perfect, could have been a bit more into the running direction of Sancho, but still created a good chance.
33:59: Bruno finds Ronaldo, room was very tight, Ronaldo unfortunately tries to go for goal instead of flicking it back with his heel into the open space beside him. Bruno has recognized this space and actually made a clever run. Of course no "good action" as Ronaldo didn't have the same idea and so you don't really realize that Bruno actually made a very good run.
38:20: Bruno with a perfect cross. Greenwood didn't get to it but the ball was played absolutely perfect so that the GK couldn't catch it, on another day Greenwood can get in front of the defender and scored an easy goal. Today he didn't manage but it doesn't change the perfect cross from Bruno that attacked exactly the right space (same for Wan-Bissaka who played a beautiful low ball at 46:40, similar to McTominay against Southampton at the end)

There were also bad moments. Some shots were really shit but it happens. And him and Shaw were absolutely stupid at 27:15 with the throw in, could have conceded. 50/50 at Shaw and Bruno, Shaw should never have thrown it there first and Bruno should deal with the throw in way better.

All these moments just for the first half. I can't really remember too much (good/spectacular/risky) actions of him in the second half but obviously, as you said, he scored an absolute worldie. But also aside of the goal he had a lot of good moments in this game as i just have shown for the first half. Not every good moment results in a goal/assist/big chance, sometimes a pass/cross might not even find anybody and was still good. And Bruno didn't even waste posession too often, he had a pass success of 83% (48/58) which is perfectly fine for the position he plays in. I would agree that it was not a very good game without the goal as some of his shots were terrible, he had this one dangerous moment that could have cost us a goal and in the end all his good moments were only "nearly" moments. But it was far away from terrible.
I think this is a case of being lenient on Bruno because he's so popular. If people are going to act like he's Grealish/De Bryune level - or Cantona/Scholes like many have done - then he's going to be judged by those standards and he falls way short of them more often than not, which, again, he did yesterday, but he scored so it gets brushed under the carpet.

Last edited:

Strelok

People only see what they want. Once the mind is made up you only pick out what fits the narrative. Was it his best performance? No. Was it "terrible"? No. I think it is very annoying that so many people try to make it look like Bruno is terrible beside his scorers. That is not true. He has some terrible moments and even very bad games sometimes. But for example today was far from "absolutely terrible", also without the goal.

Let's go through a few of his action a bit more detailed:

3:57: Brilliant chip to Ronaldo, incredibly hard to play that ball and the defender gets a slight touch with his head so Ronaldo can't controll, otherwise he would be through. Ball was very good.
6:55: Bruno makes a perfect run behind the line, Pogba finds him but a bit too high so he can only try to flick it on with his head, but Bruno was the only one who made a run so there was nobody. The ball from Pogba was quite good and the run was perfectly timed, fine margins and he is through on goal (and i think we all know that he can finish them)
29:18: Bruno shoots, doesn't hit the ball too good but Sancho was very close to get a touch on it and then it would still be an assist. Of course, not intended by Bruno, but his "bad" shot still nearly created a big chance/goal.
31:05: Bruno squares it to Sancho who gets a good shot away. Unfortunately shot gets blocked by the hand, to me it looked like it would have gone in otherwise. Definitely a penalty, i don't know how VAR could overlook this. TBH the ball was not perfect, could have been a bit more into the running direction of Sancho, but still created a good chance.
33:59: Bruno finds Ronaldo, room was very tight, Ronaldo unfortunately tries to go for goal instead of flicking it back with his heel into the open space beside him. Bruno has recognized this space and actually made a clever run. Of course no "good action" as Ronaldo didn't have the same idea and so you don't really realize that Bruno actually made a very good run.
38:20: Bruno with a perfect cross. Greenwood didn't get to it but the ball was played absolutely perfect so that the GK couldn't catch it, on another day Greenwood can get in front of the defender and scored an easy goal. Today he didn't manage but it doesn't change the perfect cross from Bruno that attacked exactly the right space (same for Wan-Bissaka who played a beautiful low ball at 46:40, similar to McTominay against Southampton at the end)

There were also bad moments. Some shots were really shit but it happens. And him and Shaw were absolutely stupid at 27:15 with the throw in, could have conceded. 50/50 at Shaw and Bruno, Shaw should never have thrown it there first and Bruno should deal with the throw in way better.

All these moments just for the first half. I can't really remember too much (good/spectacular/risky) actions of him in the second half but obviously, as you said, he scored an absolute worldie. But also aside of the goal he had a lot of good moments in this game as i just have shown for the first half. Not every good moment results in a goal/assist/big chance, sometimes a pass/cross might not even find anybody and was still good. And Bruno didn't even waste posession too often, he had a pass success of 83% (48/58) which is perfectly fine for the position he plays in. I would agree that it was not a very good game without the goal as some of his shots were terrible, he had this one dangerous moment that could have cost us a goal and in the end all his good moments were only "nearly" moments. But it was far away from terrible.

EVERYONE complained he played as 2nd striker. Anyone ever actually looked at his heat maps for this game? You will be surprised.

It shows again people just have selected memory depending on what agenda they want to put out. It is like it is his own fault to run up and down for people to see it that way.

Very good post.

Absolutely love him. I only feel such love with Cantona, Scholes and now him. Super glad that our match going fans seems really appreciate the man and keep singing his name. He absolutely deserves it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think this is a case of being lenient on Bruno because he's so popular. If people are going to act like he's Grealish/De Bryune level - or Cantona/Scholes like many have done - then he's going to be judged by those standards and he falls way short of them more often than not, which, again, he did yesterday, but he scored so it gets brushed under the carpet.
Nonsense. Carry on.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
:lol:

roonster09

Scout
Grealish :lol:

Alemar

I think it's telling that he has 4 goals in 4 games, whereas Pogba has 7 assists in 4 games. Bruno's role this season isn't to provide assists or chances in this system, it's to score goals.
If Bruno averages one non-penalty goal a game this year, it’s fine for him not to make assists - he will be a ballon d’Or contender in such a case

Pickle85

Grealish has done absolutely nothing in his career to date to suggest he's a better player than Bruno. Again, people equate easier on the eye to better.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yep, and the chaos is partly how he collects those assists. The very first chance he created a couple of minutes in when he instinctively first-touch chipped a moving ball over the back line towards the forward (might have been Ronaldo, might have been Greenwood, can't remember) was textbook Bruno. A low-percentage pass that will cost you a few stray ones to get right but which most players simply can't execute and so are worth trying because no-one can defend them.
This. Players who produce moments of magic are also going to have a couple of ridiculous looking attempts each game, but if people remember the creative void that we had before he arrived i find it absurd they are now complaining about a low pass %

Yagami

Good post resistant
Grealish has done absolutely nothing in his career to date to suggest he's a better player than Bruno. Again, people equate easier on the eye to better.
What has Bruno done? Take out penalties and there hasn't been much between them despite Bruno playing in a much better team. Neither have won anything yet either.

Bruno is a good player, but he's being very overrated because people equate our turn in fortune down to him joining.

Pickle85

What has Bruno done? Take out penalties and there hasn't been much between them despite Bruno playing in a much better team. Neither have won anything yet either.

Bruno is a good player, but he's being very overrated because people equate our turn in fortune down to him joining.
Bruno has 30 goals and 19 assists in 55 games For us. Grealish has 16 and 17 in 100 for villa. I'm not one to boil everything down to stats but that, combined with the fact that Bruno has been the single biggest reason for our upturn in form, puts him ahead of Grealish atm. To turn the question on its head, despite the infamously subjective 'eye test' what has Grealish done to suggest he's a better player than Bruno?

Highfather_24

Before Ronaldo came, he was quite literally playing as a striker and making the runs behind. So much so that Fred and Pogba were exposed in midfield when Fred was having a shocker. He will play deeper NOW because Ronaldo is here, the goal burden has dropped off him massively and now he should be expected to be more balanced in assists and goals rather than just goals.
Ehh not really. Bruno made runs behind yesterday also. Bruno basically plays as a false 9 for us. He sometimes drops deeps, sometimes makes runs behind. Difficult to box him into something. Kinda like young Rooney. But he is not a striker or a #8.

Mainoldo

Not a very good game, didn’t help us with the tempo of the game. But was very aggressive and scored a good goal. Which is what counted but he can’t play like that when we play a good team, we’ll be a man down.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Bruno has 30 goals and 19 assists in 55 games For us. Grealish has 16 and 17 in 100 for villa. I'm not one to boil everything down to stats but that, combined with the fact that Bruno has been the single biggest reason for our upturn in form, puts him ahead of Grealish atm. To turn the question on its head, despite the infamously subjective 'eye test' what has Grealish done to suggest he's a better player than Bruno?
Last season was the only season both played a full year in the same league, right? So, off of that season:
Bruno: 18 goals (9 penalties), 12 assists, 95 chances created, in 3110 minutes
Grealish: 6 goals (no penalties from what I can see), 10 assists, 81 chances created, in 2184 minutes

So, when you factor out pens, and take into consideration that Bruno played 926 minutes more, I fail to see a huge difference. People rating Bruno higher is understandable, but I don't get why it's laughable to think Grealish is worthy of being in on this discussion. If he hadn't of missed all the games he did, judging by those stats, he probably would've overtaken Bruno in them all except penalty goals.

Also, yes, Bruno's influence in helping establish us as a top 4 team cannot be denied, but you can't underrate how Grealish not only saved Villa from relegation, but had them fighting for a European spot before his injury.

AFC NimbleThumb

Dude, I wish Bruno was as good as Grealish. Unfortunately, he's not.
What’s this based on?

We all saw this love in the Caf had with Grealish this summer & the subsequent meltdown by some but Grealish better than Bruno? Have a word with yourself.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Last season was the only season both played a full year in the same league, right? So, off of that season:
Grealish: 6 goals (no penalties from what I can see), 10 assists, 81 chances created, in 2184 minutes

So, when you factor out pens, and take into consideration that Bruno played 926 minutes more, I fail to see a huge difference. People rating Bruno higher is understandable, but I don't get why it's laughable to think Grealish is worthy of being in on this discussion. If he hadn't of missed all the games he did, judging by those stats, he probably would've overtaken Bruno in them all except penalty goals.

Also, yes, Bruno's influence in helping establish us as a top 4 team cannot be denied, but you can't underrate how Grealish not only saved Villa from relegation, but had them fighting for a European spot before his injury.
Whats the stats so far this season?

Yagami

Good post resistant
What’s this based on?

We all saw this love in the Caf had with Grealish this summer & the subsequent meltdown by some but Grealish better than Bruno? Have a word with yourself.
I think so, yes. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a word with myself as per your instructions, boss!

AFC NimbleThumb

I think so, yes. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a word with myself as per your instructions, boss!
This is a forum so opinions will differ but you’ve made a rather questionable statement & not quantified it.

What are you basing the assertion on? It’s rather hard to not rate Jack but to say he’s clear of Bruno, bring the receipts lad.

roonster09

Scout

It's not laughable to say Grealish and Bruno are around same level but when people come up with weird "I hope Bruno reaches Grealish level" that's a laughwothy post.

Castia

Absolute world class, what he’s done since coming to United is just incredible.

The amount of United fans in here over the summer claiming Grealish is a better player is probably the most ridiculous thing ive ever read on the Caf those people should be embarrassed.

AFC NimbleThumb

It's not laughable to say Grealish and Bruno are around same level but when people come up with weird "I hope Bruno reaches Grealish level" that's a laughwothy post.
This.

The myth of Grealish is beginning to overtake the man. Top player but feck me.

roonster09

Scout
This.

The myth of Grealish is beginning to overtake the man. Top player but feck me.
He is obviously very good player but IMO few want to play some sort of character on this platform, like that poch fan plays.

People are desperate to look like his biggest fan boy for some weird reason.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

That heat map doesn't tell whether he's a 2nd striker or not.

I just checked whoscored. Bruno and Ronaldo's heatmaps are overlapped. Hmm..

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...-2021-2022-Manchester-United-Newcastle-United

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is a forum so opinions will differ but you’ve made a rather questionable statement & not quantified it.

What are you basing the assertion on? It’s rather hard to not rate Jack but to say he’s clear of Bruno, bring the receipts lad.
I went into a bit above but, for me, it comes down to preference. What you want from your teams main man. As I've said, I get why people think Bruno is better, but, for me, it comes down to something stats can't show (even though Grealish 's stats are good regardless).

I think the way Grealish has shown to influence games is just on another level. When your team is in trouble and under the cosh, the way he can get on the ball and calm things down - helping his teammates to settle - is just brilliant. Whereas, with Bruno, if we're under pressure he goes into extreme Hollywood mode in trying to do everything which, imo, hinders us because there are times when you need to keep the ball and grow back into the game and you can't do that when he's giving it away so much. Not to mention how easily he loses it under pressure which cost us against Southampton and nearly again yesterday from that throw in.

That's mainly it for me. They're pretty equal in creating chances, Bruno is the bigger goal threat, but, for me, that calmness and control Grealish can bring to a midfield is invaluable.
The quality of chances created is almost same. Xa of 1.48 vs 1.32.
Nice, but City have had a tougher start than us (Arsenal, Tottenham and Leicester already), so I'm surprised they're as close as they are.

Dante

Average bang
He is a second striker. That's what a #10 is.

Yes, he also drops deep at times. But so do most CFs and #10s. I don't think that's a criticism of him either way. It's mostly just a reflection of his natural instincts and his position during defensive phases.

Compare him to Lampard and he's not a midfielder. Compare him to Cantona and he is a #10.

roonster09

Scout
Nice, but City have had a tougher start than us (Arsenal, Tottenham and Leicester already), so I'm surprised they're as close as they are
They aren't close considering Bruno scored 4 goals too.

Also City are much better team and they spend 60-70% game in opposition half.

Yagami

Good post resistant
They aren't close considering Bruno scored 4 goals too.

Also City are much better team and they spend 60-70% game in opposition half.
Obviously, but you only mentioned chances created.

And, as we saw yesterday, creating chances against a parked bus is no easy feat, and, with City having 60-70% possession as you say, the ease in which Grealish is doing so is impressive. Especially when you remember they don't have a top CF like us with Cavani and now Ronaldo.

roonster09

Scout
Obviously, but you only mentioned chances created.

And, as we saw yesterday, creating chances against a parked bus is no easy feat, and, with City having 60-70% possession as you say, the ease in which Grealish is doing so is impressive. Especially when you remember they don't have a top CF like us with Cavani and now Ronaldo.
They move all over the place and score shit loads of goals. They don't need CF when they play so many attacking players with superb movement.

Yeah creating against parked bus is no easy feat, shame same argument wasn't used last season.

suheilsworld

He has been our saviour since he since for us. Cut him some slack. He is quality and it will come good. There are new players around him with Sancho and Ronaldo and will get time to accustom to a system. It will come good trust me. He already has a great understanding with Pogba (which we have seen in the games so far) and Rashford. Come October, I am sure all of our atackers will be in sync. It will be like watching prime Tevez - Ronaldo - Rooney together with Carrick - Park behind them

Status
Not open for further replies.