5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

With ronnie up top now, who naturally drifts left, I think Bruno needs to try and make a bit more of a conscious decision to try and drift right so teams can't just overload our left. It should make us a much more potent attacking force.

But maybe it shouldn't be up to him as he clearly excels in the free role.

OverratedOpinion

Dude, I wish Bruno was as good as Grealish. Unfortunately, he's not.
Jesus if Grealish had put the performances in that Bruno has for the last 18 months then the hype he gets would actually be justified.

One player has to score a hat-trick and create two more to get real attention. The other can spend 3 in 4 games playing neat passes and dribbling away from goal until he gets fouled and get called the best player in the league.

ManUArfa

Obviously, but you only mentioned chances created.

And, as we saw yesterday, creating chances against a parked bus is no easy feat, and, with City having 60-70% possession as you say, the ease in which Grealish is doing so is impressive. Especially when you remember they don't have a top CF like us with Cavani and now Ronaldo.
But we've been the ones who played against more parked bus teams so far this season, not City, so you're contradicting your own argument.

OverratedOpinion

But we've been the ones who played against more parked bus teams so far this season, not City, so you're contradicting your own argument.
He doesn't have an argument, he has a hipster fetish for Grealish because he wears small shin pads and played in the Championship during his early 20s.

There is literally no argument to make that Grealish is better than Fernandes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not really when City are apparently having 60-70% possession.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That's a KO. :lol:
Not really. You yourself said City are averaging 60-70% possession which means they're obviously playing against parked busses. Unless you were telling a porky pie, brother?

Drifter

American
Was a bit restrained in this game , but then he pops up with the goal of the match.

Rojofiam

I rate Grealish, a lot. I think he just has something that not many players do, so I was sad to see him sell his soul in the summer. I also thought he could've been the player of the tournament, had Southgate played him from the start...however, some posts here are absolutely embarrassing. He has a long way to go to reach Fernandes' level

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not really. You yourself said City are averaging 60-70% possession which means they're obviously playing against parked busses. Unless you were telling a porky pie, brother?
And you change the difficulty of creating chances as per others posts.

Yeah I said City average 60-70% possession. So from "Grealish played against stronger teams" you changed to "it's harder to create chances vs parked buses".

Whatever to make Grealish look better than he is.

Tony247

What has Bruno done? Take out penalties and there hasn't been much between them despite Bruno playing in a much better team. Neither have won anything yet either.

Bruno is a good player, but he's being very overrated because people equate our turn in fortune down to him joining.
What bruno has done! :lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant
And you change the difficulty of creating chances as per others posts.

Yeah I said City average 60-70% possession. So from "Grealish played against stronger teams" you changed to "it's harder to create chances vs parked buses".

Whatever to make Grealish look better than he is.
Well, because it's true. Grealish played against stronger teams who parked the bus. Wolves and Leeds didn't even park it against us. They went toe-to-toe. So, yes, not only have they faced stronger teams, they've faced more busses, too.
What bruno has done! :lol:
I know. It's about as ridiculous as asking "what has Grealish done?" .

NZT-One

They aren't close considering Bruno scored 4 goals too.

Also City are much better team and they spend 60-70% game in opposition half.
Ah, the better team.

That is just not true. Leeds isn't a team known for parking the bus, they didn't do it against us, they were trying to play their usual style but were not able to have anything close to their usual intensity. Southhampton pressed like hell, just like last year. Wolves stayed compact to attack us with fast transitions - if that is parking the bus, then our "great performance" against City, where we won 2:0 (I think...) was a park the bus performance as well. Yesterday was the first time, we played against a bus. It is really weird to suggest otherwise.

The number of possession isn't closely connected with the defensive playstyle. Just because City had more of the ball, doesn't mean, that their oppoinents defended deep with 10 men behind the ball. Remember LVG days, we had incredible amounts of possession by passing it between the CB and the Fullbacks as we had no penetration what so ever.

So, basically, Bruno positioning is no problem. Losing 'control of midfield ' is not his problem but he should fix it anyway?
Bruno isn't the sole reason, we often have issues controlling the midfield but he is a contributing factor. When he is missing as a passing option during built-up play and the manager isn't making somebode else to relieve pressure (often on either Fred or Pogba to find somebody to pass to without wanting to go long) then I think, it is an absolutely reasonable thing to point out.

roonster09

Scout
Well, because it's true. Grealish played against stronger teams who parked the bus. Wolves and Leeds didn't even park it against us. They went toe-to-toe. So, yes, not only have they faced stronger teams, they've faced more busses, too.

I know. It's about as ridiculous as asking "what has Grealish done?" .
So why wasn't "it's harder to create chances against parked bus" used last season?

He played in a team where opponents left acres of space

Like I said, just twist everything to make Grealish look better than he is.

Anyways I'm done with this "hope Bruno reach Grealish level" nonsense, this is like arguing with that poch fan boy who makes everything into Poch argument.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was being facetious in asking what Bruno has done as that's as ridiculous as asking what Grealish has done. Though, yes, I don't think there's much between them as players. I stand by that.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So why wasn't "it's harder to create chances against parked bus" used last season?

He played in a team where opponents left acres of space

Like I said, just twist everything to make Grealish look better than he is.

Anyways I'm done with this "hope Bruno reach Grealish level" nonsense, this is like arguing with that poch fan boy who makes everything into Poch argument.
I don't even think I've used that as a criticism of Bruno's. Maybe I have but I don't recall doing so, so I'm happy to be proven wrong. My only criticism of Bruno has been when he goes into Gerrard Hollywood mode because I think that hinders us as a team in general when he tries things that aren't on. He's twice the player when he keeps things more simple.

roonster09

Scout
I don't even think I've used that as a criticism of Bruno's. Maybe I have but I don't recall doing so, so I'm happy to be proven wrong. My only criticism of Bruno has been when he goes into Gerrard Hollywood mode because I think that hinders us as a team in general when he tries things that aren't on. He's twice the player when he keeps things more simple.
No he isn't twice the player when he keeps things simple, he would be a nothing player if he keeps it simple. It's a cliche and a phrase that doesn't make any sense.

Bruno is always at his best when he tries things that most players don't even try.

tenpoless

I was being facetious in asking what Bruno has done as that's as ridiculous as asking what Grealish has done. Though, yes, I don't think there's much between them as players. I stand by that.
Well Grealish in 62 games had 14 goals and 16 assists. Bruno played in a better team but theres no guarantee that playing in a better team will increase a players numbers unless if theyre playing as forwards. If anything, the way that Bruno walked into a team lacking a leader, kept producing goal after goal that won United matches shows the type of player he is. A reliable player. If i want my team to win more points I know who I'd rather have in my team, Ole sees it as well thats why he plays Bruno more as a SS than AM. You can buy good players but to have someone that thrives under pressure is a rarity. I would not trade Bruno with Grealish in million years. Not after the expensive signings that we had over the years that didnt work or failed to lift the team up due to their attitude/mentality. Bruno ticks all the boxes for me. He is the better player number wise and the better United player overall.

Yagami

Good post resistant
No he isn't twice the player when he keeps things simple, he would be a nothing player if he keeps it simple. It's a cliche and a phrase that doesn't make any sense.

Bruno is always at his best when he tries things that most players don't even try.
No, he's definitely better, and we are as a team when he is. Keeping it simple doesn't mean NEVER trying something. It means keeping it until there's actually something on instead of just trying and trying, resulting in giving the opposition the ball back. Especially when we're under pressure and need a breather at times.

Member 90887

What has Bruno done? Take out penalties and there hasn't been much between them despite Bruno playing in a much better team. Neither have won anything yet either.

Bruno is a good player, but he's being very overrated because people equate our turn in fortune down to him joining.
Because that's the case ?

The "what has Bruno done ?" question is just ridiculous.

NZT-One

You disagree with that?
I think, it is a pretty cheap exit in a discussion. Especially as an argument against City having a tougher start than we did by playing Arsenal, Leicester and Spurs.

City have a great team and great players, but they have their gaps just like we do. They may make better use of playing as a unit than we do but surely not because the quality of their players is so much bigger than ours. But we don't have to discuss that here, I know, the stance that City is way better than we is a big pillar in many peoples reception as a reason, why we couldn't do better last year. Thats fine, I don't agree with it, but there is no point to discuss it anymore.

To end on a positive note, I agree with you, wishing Bruno would be as good as Bruno is a weird statement. But I guess, I could support the claim as soon as we switch the word "good" with the word "composed". Grealish is a great dribbler and it is almost impossible to take the ball away from him, this can be used to maneuver the team and to make better use of runs and movement. A player like that would help United very much.

captaincantona

Why are the Grealish fan club even comparing him to Bruno. He isn’t a number 10 he is a wide (predominantly left sided) forward type player. compare Grealish to Sancho, Martial, Rashford...not Bruno. Or compare him to Mahrez or Bernardo or Sterling. They at least all occupy that same space. Grealish is a crafty, hard working, ball retainer. Perfect for peps football. Most comparable to Sancho in our line up. It’s like comparing him to a striker for goals or a centre half for tackles made...it ain’t comprable...and on the areas of comparison chosen...goals and assists...no sane person takes Grealish ahead of Fernandes.

E-mal

I have to say I am not a fan of how he plays the game and hence the reason why he struggles in big games to assert himself.
I find his contribution below par when he is not bringing in the statistics.
He doesnt really do much of playmaking and generally plays as a forward. May be am wrong but I feel we would do better as a tram if we had an extra Pogba in midfield or KDB instead of Bruno. It had helped us control the game better.
He is a fantastic player in his own right but I am not the biggest fan of the way he plays the number 10 role.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well Grealish in 62 games had 14 goals and 16 assists. Bruno played in a better team but theres no guarantee that playing in a better team will increase a players numbers unless if theyre playing as forwards. If anything, the way that Bruno walked into a team lacking a leader, kept producing goal after goal that won United matches shows the type of player he is. A reliable player. If i want my team to win more points I know who I'd rather have in my team, Ole sees it as well thats why he plays Bruno more as a SS than AM. You can buy good players but to have someone that thrives under pressure is a rarity. I would not trade Bruno with Grealish in million years. Not after the expensive signings that we had over the years that didnt work or failed to lift the team up due to their attitude/mentality. Bruno ticks all the boxes for me. He is the better player number wise and the better United player overall.
That's all fair enough, brother.
Because that's the case ?

The "what has Bruno done ?" question is just ridiculous.
Again, I was being facetious with that. I do think people overestimate his importance in that, though. We were already looking alright before Rashford's injury and just needed an upgrade on Pereira and Lingard. We got that, and yes, he took the league by storm and helped the loss of Pogba and Rashford not be as damaging, but after we returned from lockdown, he wasn't that influential in us getting into the top 4 as, bar the first game back against Sheffield, we weren't that good, but we had GD and Leicester's meltdown on our side. It certainly wasn't some Cantona like effect like it's portrayed. If anything, Martial was our most influential player in the 2nd half of the season with Rashford in the 1st.

Canagel

Great goal. Everything else was absolutely terrible.
Nothing new. By now I've accepted that his general play will always be terrible so there is no point coming here every weeks and having a rational discussion about the football (and because our fans get extremely emotional and defensive as soon as his footballing credentials are questioned)

he had a real stinker and could easily have been the first player to be taken off but then scored a worldie so all the rubbish that came before it will be forgotten. It is how the modern football fans in general consume football so I made my peace with it

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Keeping things simple vs low block teams in a team that isn't being coached a particular style or tactic :drool:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nothing new. By now I've accepted that his general play will always be terrible so there is no point coming here every weeks and having a rational discussion about the football (and because our fans get extremely emotional and defensive as soon as his footballing credentials are questioned)

he had a real stinker and could easily have been the first player to be taken off but then scored a worldie so all the rubbish that came before it will be forgotten. It is how the modern football fans in general consume football so I made my peace with it
I'll take your advice and leave it be.

KennyBurner

You disagree with that?
Man for man I don’t think city have the better team anymore. They are the better collective though due to the manager so I guess you might still be right. Only team with a better 11 than us in the league is Liverpool.

lloyd2wayne

I’m telling you right now. You don’t know anything about football and that’s a FACT. Seriously there’s no way you know anything about football. I’m just stunned

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Last season was the only season both played a full year in the same league, right? So, off of that season:
Bruno: 18 goals (9 penalties), 12 assists, 95 chances created, in 3110 minutes
Grealish: 6 goals (no penalties from what I can see), 10 assists, 81 chances created, in 2184 minutes

So, when you factor out pens, and take into consideration that Bruno played 926 minutes more, I fail to see a huge difference. People rating Bruno higher is understandable, but I don't get why it's laughable to think Grealish is worthy of being in on this discussion. If he hadn't of missed all the games he did, judging by those stats, he probably would've overtaken Bruno in them all except penalty goals.

Also, yes, Bruno's influence in helping establish us as a top 4 team cannot be denied, but you can't underrate how Grealish not only saved Villa from relegation, but had them fighting for a European spot before his injury.
You didn't say that though. You said:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This place has been fantastic value lately.

Someone created a whole thread about how Ronaldo would be a miss! Now it's genuinely being presented that Grealish is better than Bruno..?

This kind of comedy should be subscription based. It's too funny to be free.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This place has been fantastic value lately.

Someone created a whole thread about how Ronaldo would be a miss! Now it's genuinely being presented that Grealish is better than Bruno..?

This kind of comedy should be subscription based. It's too funny to be free.
He is, dare I say? A wind-up merchant

MattofManchester

His heat map must be unreal.
He tries to be absolutely everywhere.

I wonder what his legs feel like after a 90.

Member 90887

How do you explain that most football fans, most pundits, most managers recognize his talent while you and Yagami think that he is nothing more than a penalty merchant ?

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion of course but this is quite an unpopular one and for a good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.