6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GueRed

I love this version of Bruno. For me, this was his best season at Old Trafford, now that he is starting to play with a little more control. There was a big improvement in that regard. He still has that incredible creativity, but isn’t all at sea when momentum shifts the other way. Hopefully he can contribute a few more open play goals next season again, as he’s definitely capable of that.

He’ll be the next club captain and it will be well deserved.

Pretty obvious.

Maguire and Bruno, after that there aint much choice tbf..

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yea this. He’s got insane numbers but his habit of misplacing easy passes is so frustrating. If he improves on that he can easily become one of the best around.
He is already one of the best around, if he improves he will be the best there is

johnnyteutonic

I deliberately did not compare with KDB because that would just be unfair on you. The difference with De Bruyne is that he is fully capable of not consistently losing the ball. But sure if you want to compare with him, he has 7 goals and 16 assists in the PL with an 80.5% PS. So do I think that Bruno does enough in our team to justify the praise you give him? No.
He has 16 assists this season because he's playing with Haaland. Do you know how many assists he had last season? 8, just like Bruno does this season.
Bruno has the highest cumulative xAG in the league - more than de Bruyne.
If he had Haaland in front of him, he may well have had 15+ assists, based on Haaland's overperformance w/r/t to xG, and Bruno's outstanding xAG.
In fact, Bruno's xAG per 90 this season is almost double what it was last season (in the premier league).
Bruno has the highest number of big chances in the league, and the highest number of chances created in the league.

As for his ball retention? It is a completely valid point that de Bruyne loses the ball as much as Bruno does, given the fact that their creative abilities are very similar w/r/t to their statistical output. In fact, fbref shows that they are the two most similar players in terms of their statistical profile in the premier league.
And sorry, but de Bruyne has 73.3% pass completion percentage, which is lower than Bruno's - not 80.5%, so where are you getting that from?

That doesn't mean that Bruno is as good a player as de Bruyne is, but he certainly is comparable in this discussion especially when you're trying to invoke statistics as a means to rubbish comparisons with Bruno.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Highest xA, now if only we have more players that can finish those outside of Rashford..

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Im sure Pep's tactics will involve canceling Bruno out and double-marking Casemiro on set pieces. I'm sure he's not that worried about the rest of the team.

Zlatans Knee

He has 16 assists this season because he's playing with Haaland. Do you know how many assists he had last season? 8, just like Bruno does this season.
Bruno has the highest cumulative xAG in the league - more than de Bruyne.
If he had Haaland in front of him, he may well have had 15+ assists, based on Haaland's overperformance w/r/t to xG, and Bruno's outstanding xAG.
In fact, Bruno's xAG per 90 this season is almost double what it was last season (in the premier league).
Bruno has the highest number of big chances in the league, and the highest number of chances created in the league.

As for his ball retention? It is a completely valid point that de Bruyne loses the ball as much as Bruno does, given the fact that their creative abilities are very similar w/r/t to their statistical output. In fact, fbref shows that they are the two most similar players in terms of their statistical profile in the premier league.
And sorry, but de Bruyne has 73.3% pass completion percentage, which is lower than Bruno's - not 80.5%, so where are you getting that from?

That doesn't mean that Bruno is as good a player as de Bruyne is, but he certainly is comparable in this discussion especially when you're trying to invoke statistics as a means to rubbish comparisons with Bruno.
My only takeaway from that essay is that Bruno is not as good as KDB. On that we agree.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
KdB is better player but I don't know why people comes up with "he doesn't lose possession" when it's so obvious he does.

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

de Bruyne has 73.3% pass completion percentage, which is lower than Bruno's - not 80.5%, so where are you getting that from?
I suspected he was making up De Bruyne's pass completion % as it's well known that he gives the ball away more than Bruno. Not that it matters really - you want your creative midfielder to take risks, otherwise you end up with assists numbers as low as Bruno Guimaraes.

johnnyteutonic

My only takeaway from that essay is that Bruno is not as good as KDB. On that we agree.
Oh well, at least I tried.

I suspected he was making up De Bruyne's pass completion % as it's well known that he gives the ball away more than Bruno. Not that it matters really - you want your creative midfielder to take risks, otherwise you end up with assists numbers as low as Bruno Guimaraes.
Indeed he did.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
KdB is better player but I don't know why people comes up with "he doesn't lose possession" when it's so obvious he does.
Maybe because I usually just so invested during our game, but without looking at the stats, it seemed like Bruno had more "bad passes" than when watching KdB.

It's kinda weird.

Zlatans Knee

Suspect all you like it was 80,8% in the PL for KDB. 77,7% for Bruno. Check out whoscored.com
Took 30 seconds on Google to find that out.

It is criminal that he has the highest number of chances and big chances in the league, yet we sit joint 7th in goals scored.

Or maybe opposing teams are happy to let him play all these passes because they know our forwards will do feck all with them :mad:

RuudTom83

Get the CF position sorted and Bruno's numbers will be hard to argue with.

I remember the Ronaldo vs Bruno stats where Gary was criticising Bruno, but the on screen graphic was showing he is still producing the numbers. The media conveniently ignores everything that doesn't feed the narrative.

Lyng

This is why I'm fine with him losing possession more than De Bryune and Ødegaard.

Genuinely a world class creator.
This is exactly where I am at. I used to be a critic of Bruno but even in his worst games he will create.

Normally I really cannot stand players who lose possession a lot and are more energy than composure, which is why I have never really warmed to Fred and why Antony is not someone I am a huge fan of.
I used to really dislike Bruno's style but he simply creates so much and is such an overall positive for our team that I have come to absolutely love him.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Normally I really cannot stand players who lose possession a lot
It's also worth noting that Bruno does not misplace more passes than the average PL professional. His overall pass accuracy is average despite taking all those risks.

Kirisatha96

Let's clear a few things up.

Bruno would be held in closer regard to KDB by this point of time if we possessed clinical finishers. We sadly don't. Why aren't we cutting Bruno that slack that we cut KDB because he has Haaland in front of him?

Haaland exceeded his XG goals scored. KDB exceeded his xG assists because of Haaland.

In cricket, catches win matches. You need to score goals to win. It's a bit harsh on Bruno not to give him credit where it's due because he hasn't produced G+A numbers like he has before.

Bruno has also changed his play style significantly while also pulling it off.

romufc

With his creation levels, I am not too sure why so much of the fan base hates him and wants him replaced asap.

I think with a functioning midfield and a clinical 9, he will post up KDB numbers.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Why aren't we cutting Bruno that slack that we cut KDB because he has Haaland in front of him?
I think you'll find that the majority are doing just this. Most of the criticism you see in here come from a small group of posters who made up their mind about Bruno a long time ago.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

zaafi

Let's clear a few things up.

Bruno would be held in closer regard to KDB by this point of time if we possessed clinical finishers. We sadly don't. Why aren't we cutting Bruno that slack that we cut KDB because he has Haaland in front of him?

Haaland exceeded his XG goals scored. KDB exceeded his xG assists because of Haaland.

In cricket, catches win matches. You need to score goals to win. It's a bit harsh on Bruno not to give him credit where it's due because he hasn't produced G+A numbers like he has before.

Bruno has also changed his play style significantly while also pulling it off.
I think KdB and Bruno are pretty even when it comes to chance creation. I also believe the reason people cut KdB some slack is because he is better than Bruno at everything else and has been one of the best midfielders in the world for years.
You can't just ignore Bruno's weak spots because he creates as many chances as KdB. There is a lot more that comes into play.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I also believe the reason people cut KdB some slack is because he is better than Bruno at everything else
Injury record? Work rate? Pressing? Movement off the ball? I don't think that De Bryune has Bruno beat there.

He is however a much bigger goal threat and has better technique. That is ultimately why Bruno wont ever surpass De Bryune, but there is no shame in that. De Bryune has been the best attacking midfielder in the world for many years now and he's already a PL legend.

If only world class players were good enough then we'd be in big trouble.

Alemar

I also believe the reason people cut KdB some slack is because he is better than Bruno at everything else
This is not true. KdB is better than Bruno at shooting and finishing, has better dribbling.

Bruno is better presser, has more stamina, is never injured and excels as a penalty taker (90% penalty conversion compared to 82% for KdB).

zaafi

This is not true. KdB is better than Bruno at shooting and finishing, has better dribbling.

Bruno is better presser, has more stamina, is never injured and excels as a penalty taker (90% penalty conversion compared to 82% for KdB).
You forgot to mention KdB has much better technique, crosser, better at set-pieces, ball carrying, dribbling and passing - both long and short. He is also more press resistant than Bruno. KdB really isn't far behind Bruno when it comes to stamina, it's just that he's 3 years older and have been playing in Pep's high tempo machinery for years.

How Bruno is never injured has nothing to do with your footballing qualities, but of course it's very appreciated.
Regarding penalties, Bruno is better at them but 90% and 82% really isn't that big of a difference.

El Jefe

You forgot to mention KdB has much better technique, crosser, better at set-pieces, ball carrying, dribbling and passing - both long and short. He is also more press resistant than Bruno. KdB really isn't far behind Bruno when it comes to stamina, it's just that he's 3 years older and have been playing in Pep's high tempo machinery for years.

How Bruno is never injured has nothing to do with your footballing qualities, but of course it's very appreciated.
Regarding penalties, Bruno is better at them but 90% and 82% really isn't that big of a difference.
It's really only deluded United fans that keep trying to make the Bruno and KDB comparison. It will get you laughed at anywhere neutral.

Arguing about possession and Xg is all well and good but just watching a 90min performance of both and you can see the gap in quality. Its such a forced comparison to try and prop Bruno up.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It's really only deluded United fans that keep trying to make the Bruno and KDB comparison.
Literally no one has said that Bruno is as good as KDB.

The only reason the comparisons come up is to show how good Bruno has been creatively. KDB is the best attacking midfielder in the world and he's known for his brilliant passes (and other qualities). When the stats show that there is a player who outperforms him in one of the most difficult aspects of the game then of course it's going to be brought up! If Haaland manages to outscore Messi's best season then the stat will be brought up too.. But no one will seriously put Haaland ahead of Messi.

Lyng

Literally no one has said that Bruno is as good as KDB.

The only reason the comparisons come up is to show how good Bruno has been creatively. KDB is the best attacking midfielder in the world and he's known for his brilliant passes (and other qualities). When the stats show that there is a player who outperforms him in one of the most difficult aspects of the game then of course it's going to be brought up! If Haaland manages to outscore Messi's best season then the stat will be brought up too.. But no one will seriously put Haaland ahead of Messi.
Its such a weird thing. "Well he isnt as good as KDB!".. and? He is still world class.

El Jefe

Its such a weird thing. "Well he isnt as good as KDB!".. and? He is still world class.
The bar for world class must be as low as it's ever been then.

He's about to be 29 and has done nothing of note outside the PL. His CL resume is nonexistent in the knockout rounds. Doesn't have any high profile top performances. No personal honours, no big trophies. How can he be world class?

We've been in many positions over the last 3 years where he could have earned that status but every time he's come up short.

He's a top creative player but that's about it at this point.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It's really only deluded United fans that keep trying to make the Bruno and KDB comparison. It will get you laughed at anywhere neutral.

Arguing about possession and Xg is all well and good but just watching a 90min performance of both and you can see the gap in quality. Its such a forced comparison to try and prop Bruno up.
Quite often the comparisons emerge because the main criticism of Bruno seems to be that he gives the ball away too much. De Bruyne gives the ball away more often than Bruno and no one has a problem with that.

As another poster has mentioned, not one person is saying that Bruno is as good as De Bruyne. They are being compared because they are both extremely productive creative mids who's style of play involves taking risks on the ball.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Quite often the comparisons emerge because the main criticism of Bruno seems to be that he gives the ball away too much. De Bruyne gives the ball away more often than Bruno and no one has a problem with that.

As another poster has mentioned, not one person is saying that Bruno is as good as De Bruyne. They are being compared because they are both extremely productive creative mids who's style of play involves taking risks on the ball.
Also because there’s such a MASSIVE gulf between how Bruno is portrayed by the usual suspects in this thread (a player so poor we can never be successful while carrying him in our team) and the status of KDB (arguably one of the top 10 best players in the world, maybe even top 5?) So it makes a mockery of their arguments to see how, statistically, Bruno runs KDB close on a lot of important metrics, even if he isn’t as good a player overall.

johnnyteutonic

Suspect all you like it was 80,8% in the PL for KDB. 77,7% for Bruno. Check out whoscored.com
Took 30 seconds on Google to find that out.
I already did that work for you in my previous message where I clearly stated that de Bruyne loses the ball more than Bruno.
73.3% for de Bruyne in EPL:
https://fbref.com/en/players/e46012d4/scout/11566/Kevin-De-Bruyne-Scouting-Report
73.8% for Bruno in EPL:
https://fbref.com/en/players/507c7bdf/scout/11566/Bruno-Fernandes-Scouting-Report

Ohers are also capable of using google, which I already had done in my previous post.
Both whoscored and fbref rely on Opta to collect their raw data.
Their models are proprietary but I can speculate, given my work in data science and computer vision, that they might be using different computer vision models to make inferences with their data, which could explain the disparity in pass completion percentage for each player.
Ironically, whoscored has Bruno in their TOTS this year.

Last edited:

johnnyteutonic

Did you actually read or understand what I wrote?
It seems like a real problem amongst certain people in this thread.
I clearly stated at the end that it doesn't mean he's as good as a player as he is, but I was responding to someone else who tried to invoke de Bruyne's goal contributions this season as a means to dismiss comparisons between these players, when in fact, if you're going to use raw goal contributions to do that, then context should be given, as the conversation is much more nuanced than that, given who de Bruyne had in front of him this season, and given Bruno's creative output this season.

Real_Knut

One of Bruno's best qualities is that he often seems to make his mind up what to do way before he gets the ball. That makes him able to hit the ball in behind (often for Rashford) very quickly. I feel one thing he (and the coaches) should look to improve is the ability to change his mind quickly if the situation has changed at the point he does receive the ball.

He does not possess one of the very best passing feet but his vision is excellent. He has had a really good season, but I really think he could perform quite a lot better. He seems to love running in behind the opposition defense if our striker comes towards midfield and drags the defenders with him. Rashford doesn't do that a lot when he plays centrally, while our other strikers have been too erratic for him to have the time to make those runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.