6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Royal

I keep hoping that he will wise up and mix in some simple passes along side the hollywood stuff but doesn't look like he has the ability (or football intelligence) to do so.

Mainoldo

His creative ability is Jordan Henderson but yet he’s our number 10.

It needs to get fixed asap.

FatTails

His creative ability is Jordan Henderson but yet he’s our number 10.

It needs to get fixed asap.
Your post made me question my life choices. Why am I wasting time on a forum like this reading insane idioitic takes about a fecking game?

Mainoldo

Your post made me question my life choices. Why am I wasting time on a forum like this reading insane idioitic takes about a fecking game?
I don’t see a creative world class bone in his body. We could give Henderson the same role and he’d look the same. Henderson also has/had a great engine.

He’s pathetic in regards to vision and application.

But the joy of football we all have an opinion.

Lassitude42

Bruno would probably work best as a luxury player given essentially a free role in an otherwise defensively oriented team. Put two workhorse DMs behind him and let him do his thing. Trouble is, that's not us and we need much more consistency and composure from him.

Jcrossley94

Bruno would probably work best as a luxury player given essentially a free role in an otherwise defensively oriented team. Put two workhorse DMs behind him and let him do his thing. Trouble is, that's not us and we need much more consistency and composure from him.
not sure I agree that he’s a luxury player, he doesn’t need to be carried in the way that an Ozil would… he puts more than his fair share of effort in beyond his offensive duties.

the only thing he needs is to add more composure to his passing range… better decision making. Im hoping EtH can work on this with him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This touch map! How can any manager possibly build around him? I’m not sure I have seen anything like it before.

Trequarista10

This touch map! How can any manager possibly build around him? I’m not sure I have seen anything like it before.

You build around him by giving him a completely free role, with a solid base behind him, wingers either side and a striker in front. You know, a 44Bruno1 formation.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Seems to me like this is exaxtly what we're doing. 2 conservative midfielders, and only Dalot joining the attack - this was the setup against Southampton. Also, Bruno is allowed to go wherever he wants.
Ten Hag experimented a bit in pre season and first two games but it all went to scrap and now we're playing same old 4231, adjusted for Bruno, but with some tweaks (I do think we're moving the ball better between wings and through midfield).

ETH is trying to steady the ship by going with setup which is familiar to the team, but this seems to be built for Bruno.

If you ask me, I'd definitely go for more structured approach but what happens to Bruno in that scenario - I don't know.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Should he just hang around the mid-line even though our team was on the backfoot almost half the game, so his touch map wouldn't be all over the place down to the defending area?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Should he just hang around the mid-line even though our team was on the backfoot almost half the game, so his touch map wouldn't be all over the place down to the defending area?
I think you are reading the touch map upside down.

Loon

:lol:
This is where ten Hag comes into play. He needs to give Fernandes his most effective role, tell him to knock off the bullshit, and get back to being focused.

And stop fecking whining.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's going to get a real chance to up his productivity - balance and supply from both flanks with a lot more space to operate in.

Even if his use of the ball as a passer is all over the place, he really should be bagging goals within the chaos that should soon be enveloping him and enshrouding his movements into goalscoring areas.

I think he should be the biggest single benefactor of Antony's arrival unless a driving centre-forward is signed.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You build around him by giving him a completely free role, with a solid base behind him, wingers either side and a striker in front. You know, a 44Bruno1 formation.
Is he worth that? Is he wroth getting the whole team to be playing to his strengths? Even in our current eleven, I'd rather we built around Sancho.

Trequarista10

Is he worth that? Is he wroth getting the whole team to be playing to his strengths? Even in our current eleven, I'd rather we built around Sancho.
That's a whole different question. Firstly I'd say building to Bruno's strengths and building to Sancho's needn't be mutually exclusive. In terms of whether he's good enough to be given a free role, it really depends on what other options there are. Given our current squad I think it's worth giving Bruno a free role.

shamans

That's a whole different question. Firstly I'd say building to Bruno's strengths and building to Sancho's needn't be mutually exclusive. In terms of whether he's good enough to be given a free role, it really depends on what other options there are. Given our current squad I think it's worth giving Bruno a free role.
I couldn't disagree more, but we'll leave it at that. For me someone like Erikson is more deserving of that free role than Bruno. I have never seen a player who can't dribble and without pace be given that free role. It's always been someone with the ability to do either. Yes he is creative and is incredible at ball placement (crossing, shooting, passing. You name it, he's great at it) he is simply not the calibre of player to deserve a free role like that for a club like ours.

I'd much rather we have a balanced team. If he can fit in that, great. If not, he goes to the bench. When you talk about a free role I think Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo, Hazard. Not Fernandes.

Trequarista10

I couldn't disagree more, but we'll leave it at that. For me someone like Erikson is more deserving of that free role than Bruno. I have never seen a player who can't dribble and without pace be given that free role. It's always been someone with the ability to do either. Yes he is creative and is incredible at ball placement (crossing, shooting, passing. You name it, he's great at it) he is simply not the calibre of player to deserve a free role like that for a club like ours.

I'd much rather we have a balanced team. If he can fit in that, great. If not, he goes to the bench. When you talk about a free role I think Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo, Hazard. Not Fernandes.
Most of those players didn't have a free role, they played in very specific positions. Ronaldo circa 2007-2009 at United had a free role, but not at Madrid. Messi didn't have a free role at Barcelona. Neymar didn't at Barca (don't watch La Farmers League so can't say), Hazard didn't at Chelsea.

It's nothing to with being a dribbler. I think you're conflating status, or being given license to dribble/shoot/not defend with having a free role. It's not that at all, it's simply positional. Bruno is good at drifting into dangerous areas and making things happen, that's why he does well given a free role. With the added advantage that he runs all day, which is a bonus compared to 10s like Ozil, James Rodriguez, Alli, Riquelme, Hoddle, etc, who are becoming a dying breed these days. What he can't do is play as an 8 who calmly and steadily progresses the ball up the pitch, or play as a winger, because he can't dribble. It's not difficult to have the team setup to accommodate him, it's simply a 4231. If there are games that ETH wants to play a 433 then he should be benched, but in a 4231 he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

shamans

Most of those players didn't have a free role, they played in very specific positions. Ronaldo circa 2007-2009 at United had a free role, but not at Madrid. Messi didn't have a free role at Barcelona. Neymar didn't at Barca (don't watch La Farmers League so can't say), Hazard didn't at Chelsea.

It's nothing to with being a dribbler. I think you're conflating status, or being given license to dribble/shoot/not defend with having a free role. It's not that at all, it's simply positional. Bruno is good at drifting into dangerous areas and making things happen, that's why he does well given a free role. With the added advantage that he runs all day, which is a bonus compared to 10s like Ozil, James Rodriguez, Alli, Riquelme, Hoddle, etc, who are becoming a dying breed these days. What he can't do is play as an 8 who calmly and steadily progresses the ball up the pitch, or play as a winger, because he can't dribble. It's not difficult to have the team setup to accommodate him, it's simply a 4231. If there are games that ETH wants to play a 433 then he should be benched, but in a 4231 he's one of the first names on the team sheet.
Was this not Bruno's role under Ole? How did that work out?

I am not sure how you think Messi didn't have a free role at Barcelona. Pretty sure he wasn't pinned to a position and it made sense. You mention Alli, Rodriguez etc and to be honest Bruno is not too far off from their level. Certainly don't think he's as good as peak Ozil.

Trequarista10

Was this not Bruno's role under Ole? How did that work out?
He was a massive fan favourite, had a ton of goal contributions and was touted as our best player by far, United's POTY twice, PL team of the year once, and a handful of POTM awards?

Not quite sure of your point here unless you're suggesting Ole's failure was down to Bruno, rather than players like McTominay, Fred, AWB, James, Lingard, Pereira, Rashford, Matic, Mata, Shaw, Lindelof all underperforming? And pretty awful management from Ole.

I am not sure how you think Messi didn't have a free role at Barcelona. Pretty sure he wasn't pinned to a position and it made sense.
Sure he had a degree of freedom but he wasn't floating to both wings or dropping to collect the ball in front of the CBs. Off the ball he was actually quite static in the build up play, holding a position 10 yards or so in front of the opposition CBs, remaining the focal point of attack, either looking to make a dangerous run, or to recieve the ball so he could turn and dribble in which ever direction he chose . But that's freedom on the ball as opposed to a free role positionally.

You mention Alli, Rodriguez etc and to be honest Bruno is not too far off from their level.
Jesus.

Certainly don't think he's as good as peak Ozil.
Well peak Ozil was one of the best 10s of the last couple decades so that's no insult. However, my point wasn't a comparison between the two as I'm sure you understand. It was that Ozil's type of 10 is becoming extinct despite the far superior composure and possession play. Virtually all top sides play with more intensity these days and can't accommodate a 10 who glides around and doesn't run.

shamans

He was a massive fan favourite, had a ton of goal contributions and was touted as our best player by far, United's POTY twice, PL team of the year once, and a handful of POTM awards?

Not quite sure of your point here unless you're suggesting Ole's failure was down to Bruno, rather than players like McTominay, Fred, AWB, James, Lingard, Pereira, Rashford, Matic, Mata, Shaw, Lindelof all underperforming? And pretty awful management from Ole.

Sure he had a degree of freedom but he wasn't floating to both wings or dropping to collect the ball in front of the CBs. Off the ball he was actually quite static in the build up play, holding a position 10 yards or so in front of the opposition CBs, remaining the focal point of attack, either looking to make a dangerous run, or to recieve the ball so he could turn and dribble in which ever direction he chose . But that's freedom on the ball as opposed to a free role positionally.

Jesus.

Well peak Ozil was one of the best 10s of the last couple decades so that's no insult. However, my point wasn't a comparison between the two as I'm sure you understand. It was that Ozil's type of 10 is becoming extinct despite the far superior composure and possession play. Virtually all top sides play with more intensity these days and can't accommodate a 10 who glides around and doesn't run.
No one doubts it's for Bruno's best benefit to play in a free role but at what cost? You can't progress as a team with everyone catering to one player if that player is Bruno.

Anyway, you are overrating Bruno's ability. He's had what, one or two good seasons (at the expensive of the team) and not that amazing of a career before it.

Trequarista10

No one doubts it's for Bruno's best benefit to play in a free role but at what cost? You can't progress as a team with everyone catering to one player if that player is Bruno.

Anyway, you are overrating Bruno's ability. He's had what, one or two good seasons (at the expensive of the team) and not that amazing of a career before it.
I think it comes down to a disagreement about what is meant by free role. I mean - freedom positionally to move around the pitch, which is where the discussion began with Bruno's heat map. You seem to take it to mean the rest of the team caters to one player, which isn't what it means at all. Bruno being given a free role doesn't require any one to cater to him or cover for him, because in a 4231 the rest of the team would just be doing their usual stuff. He's more comparable to Gerrard as a 10 rather than Le Tissier (in terms of style and role, before you point out the obvious that he's not as good as Gerrard). If anything a player like Bruno makes the rest of the teams' jobs easier, as he does more than his fair share of running and pressing, constantly makes himself a passing option, and creates 2 v 1s all over the pitch. The downside is that he often loses the ball but its not really impacted by him having a free role positionally.

I don't think I have made one comment about his overall ability except dismissing the idea that he's on the same level as Dele Alli, so I'm not sure why you think I'm overeating him. Again, I suspect you are misconstruing having a positional free role, with being so good that they can do what they want and the rest of the team has to cater to them. Unless we sign at least one more quality CM/8 (like SMS, Ruiz etc) to make a 433 a viable option, I don't see any reason to not play 4231 with Bruno as a number 10. He can't play as an 8, and assuming Casemiro and Eriksen are first choice, the alternatives for Bruno include Fred, McTominay, Garner and VDB. I'd be happy for Bruno to be left out occasionally for tactical reasons, like playing a Fred - Casemiro - Eriksen trio on occasion to have more control in midfield, but its not ideal. Throw someone like SMS into the mix and it'd be more appealing, and Bruno may find himself benched. However, sign De Jong, and a double pivot of De Jong and Casemiro with Bruno floating around at 10 would be an excellent balance of players who all naturally compliment each other.

Phil

Well said. feck this thread is a mess.

shamans

I think it comes down to a disagreement about what is meant by free role. I mean - freedom positionally to move around the pitch, which is where the discussion began with Bruno's heat map. You seem to take it to mean the rest of the team caters to one player, which isn't what it means at all. Bruno being given a free role doesn't require any one to cater to him or cover for him, because in a 4231 the rest of the team would just be doing their usual stuff. He's more comparable to Gerrard as a 10 rather than Le Tissier (in terms of style and role, before you point out the obvious that he's not as good as Gerrard). If anything a player like Bruno makes the rest of the teams' jobs easier, as he does more than his fair share of running and pressing, constantly makes himself a passing option, and creates 2 v 1s all over the pitch. The downside is that he often loses the ball but its not really impacted by him having a free role positionally.

I don't think I have made one comment about his overall ability except dismissing the idea that he's on the same level as Dele Alli, so I'm not sure why you think I'm overeating him. Again, I suspect you are misconstruing having a positional free role, with being so good that they can do what they want and the rest of the team has to cater to them. Unless we sign at least one more quality CM/8 (like SMS, Ruiz etc) to make a 433 a viable option, I don't see any reason to not play 4231 with Bruno as a number 10. He can't play as an 8, and assuming Casemiro and Eriksen are first choice, the alternatives for Bruno include Fred, McTominay, Garner and VDB. I'd be happy for Bruno to be left out occasionally for tactical reasons, like playing a Fred - Casemiro - Eriksen trio on occasion to have more control in midfield, but its not ideal. Throw someone like SMS into the mix and it'd be more appealing, and Bruno may find himself benched. However, sign De Jong, and a double pivot of De Jong and Casemiro with Bruno floating around at 10 would be an excellent balance of players who all naturally compliment each other.
Is there any example of an alright or decent player being given a free role "positionally" at a top club?

I don't know how you can separate the two. Not having positional structure always is at the trade off of your overall team shape. It is always a tradeoff (unless we're talking about swapping positions).

The kind of role you are talking about, there was another player who had this at Man United and that was Rooney, in particular when Ronaldo left. He was given positional autonomy because he was that good. He could help in defense, create goals, score goals you name it. That's the calibre of player you need if you award them a free role.

Bruno is not reliable with his play. It makes the tradeoff simply not worth it.

Trequarista10

Is there any example of an alright or decent player being given a free role "positionally" at a top club?

I don't know how you can separate the two. Not having positional structure always is at the trade off of your overall team shape. It is always a tradeoff (unless we're talking about swapping positions).

The kind of role you are talking about, there was another player who had this at Man United and that was Rooney, in particular when Ronaldo left. He was given positional autonomy because he was that good. He could help in defense, create goals, score goals you name it. That's the calibre of player you need if you award them a free role.

Bruno is not reliable with his play. It makes the tradeoff simply not worth it.
Free role literally means free role positionally. You're conflating it with luxury player (who doesn't defend) or star player (which is just completely different).

Rooney is a good example, although more so 2002-2007. After that he was instructed to remain higher up the pitch usually (except when playing with Chicharito). At various points in their careers, and to various extents, Gerrard, Muller, Zidane, Sneijder, Ozil, Deco, Gotze, Riquelme, Fabregas, Yaya Toure, Totti, Bergkamp, Cantona, Van der Vaart, Scholes, Coutinho, Odegaard, Griezmann, Kaka, Dybala, Mount, Nasri, Del Piero, David Silva, Isco, Litmanen, Oscar, Mata, Seedorf, McManaman, Van de Beek, Ballack. And no, before you say anything, I'm not comparing or equating any of these players in terms of their overall quality nor specific attributes. As you can see, theres a broad range.

There's a structure, he's floating around in the gap between two CMs, two wide men and a CF, dragging opposition all over the place, creating 2 v 1s, finding pockets of space, creating angles. Its literally just a 4231, with the 10 having more than usual license or tendency to roam. The 10 always roams anyway, its basically the point of the position, to find space in between the lines. He's not randomly standing upfront, or moving to the wing and trying to beat the full back on the outside, or anything that remotely negatively impacts team structure or his team mates. On the diverse spectrum of 10s, he's one who drifts more. Others dribble more, others drive forwards with the ball more, others push further up, others drop deeper, others are more static and play more safe passes.

It's not a reward for being the best player on the team, it's just a role that suits players who are good at finding space and taking advantage when they recieve the ball in space. You keep bringing it back to "he's not as good as X or Y" former players, and I keep telling you it's not relevant. The question is, do you play 2 DMs/CMs who can as a duo defend and build possession, with a 10 floating in front, or do you have one DM holding and two CMs sharing responsibility to defend, build possession and attack. And the answer depends on what else you have at your disposal, which in our case is currently Casemiro, McTominay, Fred, Eriksen and VDB.

You also have to consider what wide players you have. If you have the likes of Henry, Ronaldo, Salah, Neymar, Bale, Rashford, Walcott (you can tell by the large range in talent that I'm not grouping them by ability) who prefer to be higher up, and get in behind defences/between FB and CB, you're more likely to want a 433 than a 4231 to provide protection and balance. Although it's not unworkable to play a 4231 with one such player, Madrid had Ronaldo LW and Ozil as a 10, with Di Maria doing a lot more leg work at RW for example. With Sancho and Antony we have two actual wingers, rather than just inside forwards, and an actual top class DM in Casemiro, so I'm confident we'll have better control and be less vulnerable defensively without needing the likes of Elanga, Dan James or Lingard putting in a shift on one wing, or McFred scrambling around in midfield. It's actually now a team that can play a 4231.

ForeverRed1

I love Bruno.

he’s a player that you can just tell loves man United. He loves playing for the club.

feels like with the new signings we finally have more of that.

Leicester 0:1 Man Utd

eire-red

Brilliant in all aspects tonight. You want to see this consistently, and not the helter-skelter mixed in with the good and bad moments.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Best game in a long time, against a very poor team though in fairness

Hammondo

A mix of good and bad, he can pull off great stuff but hes so wasteful at times.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
My MoTM after Varane and possibly Dalot.

He is just wonderful off the ball, the pressing and intensity is top notch. Sancho and Rashford are far behind in this regard and it is so frustrating. Antony is more of the same luckily.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
He's a one-man pressing machine isn't he. Literally does the pressing that the rest of our attackers seemingly can't be bothered to do.

BerryBerryShrew

Excellent performance on and off the ball. EtH must be having a real influence on him because he is becoming a lot less careless with the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.