Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think Xhaka gets in on how good Arsenal have been overall as well as his penchant for a pelter from long range. Dalot on the other hand hasn’t been very good going forward at all IMO.

This is my problem with such stats. I am pretty certain a speculative effort or shit cross go down as “involvements” or “chances created” in the end. Perhaps I am wrong but then who the feck knows as no one really knows how these things are being defined which is why they vary so much from one stat tracker to the next.
Our first goal against Villa was exactly the sort of thing that Dalot brings to us going forwards, which is presumably reflected in those stats, but won’t show up in goals/assists.

I haven’t watched Arsenal at all this season (because feck that) but football media has been absolutely raving about Xhaka.

Anyway, these things also pass the eye test. Both Dalot and Bruno have been very important players for United so far this season, if you watch them without any bias. Some people seem to be in denial about this but the stats don’t lie.

Aint gota Kalou

He will always impact a game no matter where you play him in the forward/midfield. He has intensity and always looks for the ball, ten hag must love him even if he rushes things at times. Always worth getting him in the 11 even if he is out of position.

EtH

Our first goal against Villa was exactly the sort of thing that Dalot brings to us going forwards, which is presumably reflected in those stats, but won’t show up in goals/assists.

I haven’t watched Arsenal at all this season (because feck that) but football media has been absolutely raving about Xhaka.

Anyway, these things also pass the eye test. Both Dalot and Bruno have been very important players for United so far this season, if you watch them without any bias. Some people seem to be in denial about this but the stats don’t lie.
The stats don’t speak to the quality of the chances or involvements or whatever it is they think they’re defining. Again I find it more than a bit suspect when you can look across stat sites and see completely different results from one to the next.

And again of course Bruno and Dalot have been important. But is that because they have actually been that good or because our other options are pure shite ? They have both had their share of crap performances this season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The stats don’t speak to the quality of the chances or involvements or whatever it is they think they’re defining. Again I find it more than a bit suspect when you can look across stat sites and see completely different results from one to the next.

And again of course Bruno and Dalot have been important. But is that because they have actually been that good or because our other options are pure shite ? They have both had their share of crap performances this season.
because they have been good.

Lyng

In some matches. Poor in others.
It's important to reflect on why Bruno was poor in certain matches and the common things I could spot where a) Ronaldo on the pitch and b) Bruno played on the right wing.
In those circumstances he simply doesn't work.
When played as a ten with no Ronnie he has been fantastic though.
I would even argue him and Eriksen are great for each other.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Once again, these stats are in comparison to other players, at other teams, so they’re performing well compared to all footballers not just the players who replace them.

And yes they’ve had some poor performances. Just like every other footballer, at every other club.

EtH

It's important to reflect on why Bruno was poor in certain matches and the common things I could spot where a) Ronaldo on the pitch and b) Bruno played on the right wing.
In those circumstances he simply doesn't work.
When played as a ten with no Ronnie he has been fantastic though.
I would even argue him and Eriksen are great for each other.
Nah, he’s been erratic and wasteful all season. He’s had one or two good matches and then a bunch of poor ones and so on and so forth.

And he was poor in quite a few matches earlier this season which Ronaldo played no part in so that‘s no excuse.

EtH

Once again, these stats are in comparison to other players, at other teams, so they’re performing well compared to all footballers not just the players who replace them.

And yes they’ve had some poor performances. Just like every other footballer, at every other club.
I’m quite aware of what the stats are supposed to be comparing. Whether they are indeed legitimately doing so is up for debate.

You said they were important players for United this season, which is what I was replying to. They have had more than their share of poor performances this season. Especially Bruno, who is supposed to be our talisman.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Every United manager has played him regularly so far. Some people just want a glorified version of 5 yard side and backward passes VdB instead of him.
I am sure ETH can improve him further and make him a little less careless without taking too much of what he actually brings in terms of our attacking play away from him.
He also has a good understanding on the pitch with Rashford and Martial.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That “stat” is just the sort of thing you and I would both scoff at if our opinion differed but as you don’t you’re championing it.

A bit weird.
I’m quite aware of what the stats are supposed to be comparing. Whether they are indeed legitimately doing so is up for debate.

You said they were important players for United this season, which is what I was replying to. They have had more than their share of poor performances this season. Especially Bruno, who is supposed to be our talisman.
Looks like we’ve established that one of us is definitely guilty of doing what you’re accusing me of in your first post.

EtH

Looks like we’ve established that one of us is definitely guilty of doing what you’re accusing me of in your first post.
This isn’t baseball. Individual stats are abstract at best in football. So yes, considering how much United I’ve watched this season I feel quite safe scoffing at those stats.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
This isn’t baseball. Individual stats are abstract at best in football.
Irrelevant in the case of Bruno as he works his ass off, presses well and is a leader. He also creates at least one or two good chances per game that doesn't end up in the back of the net or is the infamous "pass before the assist".

Bruno is both a stats monster and he also passes the eye test like @Pogue Mahone wrote.

EtH

Irrelevant in the case of Bruno as he works his ass off, presses well and is a leader. He also creates at least one or two good chances per game that doesn't end up in the back of the net or is the infamous "pass before the assist".

Bruno is both a stats monster and he also passes the eye test like @Pogue Mahone wrote.
His pressing has improved this season. Everything else has been extremely inconsistent.

OrcaFat

His pressing has improved this season. Everything else has been extremely inconsistent.
He is inconsistent from match to match and even within matches. Now if he could sustain successful outcomes from all his actions across 90 mins every week, we’d all be delighted but that’s fantasy land.

He is a creative, direct, aggressively attacking player. This can be high-risk in terms of retaining possession and control but this is outweighed by the positive effects of his being in the team. Just his force of personality and will to win (by relentlessly looking forward) drags the whole team with him.

It’s true that stats don’t give you the whole picture. I think he is a player best measured by his overall contribution to the team. I wouldn’t have a clue where to find this but our Wins, Goals, Chances with Bruno vs without Bruno would be overwhelmingly in his favour, I’ll bet.

You could then argue that our back-up options are all terrible but it’s hard to deny that Bruno is one of our most important players. For a wad of cash we can replace him with someone who is easier on the eye, keeps the ball etc but you have to weigh that against Bruno’s overall positive effect on the team.

edgecutter

Please stop with moving him to the right to accommodate our shocking back up midfielders

acnumber9

I don’t understand why we move a player out of his best position to play in an area of the pitch where he has zero attributes to play there effectively. He can’t cross, he doesn’t have a trick and he’s slow. Meanwhile we take him from an area of the pitch where he continually creates chances. It’s self harm every time.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We lost any midfield control once he was off there. Maybe because his replacement was a shite midfielder, though.

Kag

I don’t understand why we move a player out of his best position to play in an area of the pitch where he has zero attributes to play there effectively. He can’t cross, he doesn’t have a trick and he’s slow. Meanwhile we take him from an area of the pitch where he continually creates chances. It’s self harm every time.
I mean, he absolutely can. I’m inclined to agree with the general point, but Bruno can cross.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We lost any midfield control once he was off there. Maybe because his replacement was a shite midfielder, though.
Thought McTominey played well when he came on, some nice passes from him for once.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Stop playing him in right. I know it's a temporary thing but we have zero creativity

acnumber9

I mean, he absolutely can. I’m inclined to agree with the general point, but Bruno can cross.
He really can’t. When you consider the volume of crosses he puts in he is incredibly wasteful. He’s going to get the odd good one.

SambaBoy

Terrible 2nd half, but he's not a right mid/winger and shouldn't be playing there.

Still played some excellent passes throughout.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not sure what he was doing once again with a brainless decision leading to yet another goal he’s cost us. Another erratic display.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We did create chances though. I’d have preferred if we’d continued to do that rather than not have control or chances.
Yeah I agree anyway, should've just embraced the chaos in game rather than try to control more.

Once Sancho and Antony are back he won't be used wide right anymore so it's just a temporary band aid

Kag

Not sure what he was doing once again with a brainless decision leading to yet another goal he’s cost us. Another erratic display.
Trying to keep the ball in? Players do it all the time. That goal was on Malacia behaving like a halfwit.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Trying to keep the ball in? Players do it all the time. That goal was on Malacia behaving like a halfwit.
Use your brain and let it run. He kept it in with nobody to play it to and the only outcome ever was going to be a Fulham counter...did you see another outcome?

How was the goal on Malacia? Bruno had the chance to control the ball and pass to Malacia. Instead he gave the ball to Fulham leaving Malacia stranded.He could even have put it out of play but he didn't, he gave it away.
Malacia is not a right back but that goal is completely on Bruno, no-one else

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We didn't have midfield control before he was moved wide either.
We didn't? But at least we were creating chances for fun and. And didn't look like a pub team, hitting long ball.

Thought McTominey played well when he came on, some nice passes from him for once.
I don't know. The game went flat after he came on. The drop was very noticeable.

Kag

Use your brain and let it run. He kept it in with nobody to play it to and the only outcome ever was going to be a Fulham counter...did you see another outcome?
Goals have been scored by keeping the ball in play in similar circumstances. Bruno takes risks; that’s what he does. Rooney doesn’t let that go either.

Malacia has way more knowledge of what is happening there and could have taken easy steps to be in the right place.

Based Adnan

I don't see how you can consistently control games with a player who has zero respect for possession and gives the ball away in ridiculous areas. His flicks on the edge of our box are infuriating.

EtH

Gave the ball away so cheaply today and in some really asinine situations as well. It’s no wonder ten Hag is shunting him wide.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
While he has some part to play in the goal it's a bit daft that people are acting like he's solely to blame. In the position he lost it we should not be conceding so easily because the fullback at least should be positioned better.

Kag

How was the goal on Malacia? Bruno had the chance to control the ball and pass to Malacia. Instead he gave the ball to Fulham leaving Malacia stranded.He could even have put it out of play but he didn't, he gave it away.
Malacia is not a right back but that goal is completely on Bruno, no-one else
Because he is running beyond Bruno when it is obvious that taking that ball out of the sky is going to be challenging. It’s brainless.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Post match interview about the World Cup probably his best contribution today :lol:

Nah he played some really good passes today when he was in the middle, but put wide...there was some head scratching stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.