6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

That was probably the worst game I've ever seen him play tbh. Woeful today. Excellent finish at the end mind you.
He needs to be benched for a rest. You can see he's getting a bit into the "shit Bruno" form that he tends to find when he plays a million games in a row without much rest. Hopefully he doesn't play this weekend and gets just a cameo next midweek

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
He only creates all our chances, scores a shit tonne of goals and covers every inch of the pitch for 90 minutes of every single game. We will never win anything with Bruno!

Lyng

Bruno had a few good passes and an excellent goal yesterday. Apart from that it was an absolutely atrocious game from him. In the first half when we where all over them he started his silly flicks and lost the ball several times in our own half leading to Forest getting chances and getting back in to the game.
The stats will simply tell you that he lost the ball a few times, which isnt out of the ordinary for a AM, what they wont tell you is that where he lost them is a serious problem.
At the same time he was constantly moaning at his team mates.
He was a downright liability in the first half and you could see Ten Hag was furious with him.

I hope he gets rested against reading and maybe even the return leg because we need him to get back into his groove, and he has been playing more than any other player this season bar De Gea.

AndySmith1990

Clearly a quality player and one of our most important, but he needs to get better at balancing when to try the killer ball and when to keep it simple. He's largely responsible for us losing control of matches at times when what we need is calmness and to slow things down a bit

mctrials23

Clearly a quality player and one of our most important, but he needs to get better at balancing when to try the killer ball and when to keep it simple. He's largely responsible for us losing control of matches at times when what we need is calmness and to slow things down a bit
This is largely how I see him. Needs to learn when a game needs reeling in. When we are under the kosh like against Arsenal, play those balls on the break but if thats a super low percentage ball perhaps try and hold onto it. Calm things down. Take the wind out of Arsenals sails. I'm always torn with Bruno because he is at the heart of everything in this team but also I wonder if he will increasingly hold us back from developing as a cohesive attacking side if he can't learn when to stick and when to twist.

Thats one of the things Arsenal are so good at this season. Everyone plays for the team and knows what they should be doing. When to pass and when to shoot. When to run with the ball and when to release it.

Sylar

Annoying that we don't get as many penalties as we used to since the whole klopp / lampard stuff.

I don't disagree about Bruno and stuff like controlling the game. He can sometimes lose his head because he just tries a killer ball all the time even when the situation requires us to keep the ball and kill the opponents momentum rather than giving it back which is more likely than putting somebody like rashford through (despite being surrounded by three players)

I don't expect that will change but hopefully it's curbed a little especially with him being captain.

Idxomer

Losing the ball yesterday time wasn't all because he was going for the killer ball. He lost it 24 times because he was very careless with some standard passing and went for some shit flicks in the middle of the pitch for no reason at all.

romufc

So a poor Bruno game but his stats:

Bruno Fernandes Vs. Nottingham Forest:

• 93 minutes
• 81 touches
• 1 GOAL
• 77% accurate passes
• 3 chances created
• 2 big chances created
• 5 long balls
• 1 dribble attempts
• 2 clearance
• 1 interception
• 1 tackle
• 7 recoveries

He is still creating the most chances for us in a game he is poor. He is also back helping the team defensively, yet some people think he is holding us back in the attacking sense. He cant play simple balls. Anyone remember our best play of the game? Antony's chance? who created the goal with a simple first time ball? Bruno did.

Also, what people do not take into consideration at all is his durability. He starts and plays 90 mins every 3 days for us, obviously he will get moments in games he looks tired and fatigued.

Lyng

So a poor Bruno game but his stats:

Bruno Fernandes Vs. Nottingham Forest:

• 93 minutes
• 81 touches
• 1 GOAL
• 77% accurate passes
• 3 chances created
• 2 big chances created
• 5 long balls
• 1 dribble attempts
• 2 clearance
• 1 interception
• 1 tackle
• 7 recoveries

He is still creating the most chances for us in a game he is poor. He is also back helping the team defensively, yet some people think he is holding us back in the attacking sense. He cant play simple balls. Anyone remember our best play of the game? Antony's chance? who created the goal with a simple first time ball? Bruno did.

Also, what people do not take into consideration at all is his durability. He starts and plays 90 mins every 3 days for us, obviously he will get moments in games he looks tired and fatigued.
Like I said stats dont tell you anything about his game and why it was bad. He lost the ball due to silly flix in our half and almost singlehandedly invited Forest back into the game due to his lack of composure. If that goal wasnt offside it would have been a very different game.
His stast look fine, but he was bad yesterday.

romufc

Like I said stats dont tell you anything about his game and why it was bad. He lost the ball due to silly flix in our half and almost singlehandedly invited Forest back into the game due to his lack of composure. If that goal wasnt offside it would have been a very different game.
His stast look fine, but he was bad yesterday.
So do you think Ten Hag plays players on merit?

You think 1 player single handedly invited Forest back into the game? They got 0 goals.

So Casemiro giving the ball away outside the area is more forgiving than Bruno giving it away higher up the pitch.

Agendas against Bruno run high and far.

Lyng

You think 1 player single handedly invited Forest back into the game? They got 0 goals.

So Casemiro giving the ball away outside the area is more forgiving than Bruno giving it away higher up the pitch.

Casemiro had a bad game as well. But it all began with passes from Bruno in that game. Ten Hag was visibly pissed at Bruno at the end of first half.
The goal was good and Bruno is important for us, but when he has a stinker its fair to point it out.
De Gea gets pages upon pages whenever he does one bad pass. Every time someone points out a problem with Bruno there is talk about agendas.
Stop being so damn precious about Bruno.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He only creates all our chances, scores a shit tonne of goals and covers every inch of the pitch for 90 minutes of every single game. We will never win anything with Bruno!
But until we actually win something with him this point remains true, no?

Glorio

Wouldn't say it is an agenda - he can be really careless in moments. Even when they come off (like those wonderful cross field pass volleys from throws in our own half), they can cause a fair bit of concern! :lol:
There was a 10 or so minute period towards the end of the first half where he just seemed all over the place, losing balls, trying things that weren't on, and too busy talking to everyone to concentrate properly on his own game.

That said, the boy has magic in his boots and he makes us tick. Creates chances with his passing from nowhere as well as anyone, always makes himself an option, looks to impose himself on the game (rarely ever a passenger) and has a lot of defensive tenacity to boot.

So pleased he's starting to rack up the goal involvement numbers again, reduces the dependence on Rashford

UpWithRivers

Not really. You just need to remove penalties (as you generally should when judging a player's output) to normalise them. Because of course getting 10 league penalties as he did in 20/21 versus 2 league penalties in the last season and a half combined has an impact on his gross tally.

His league output minus penalties over recent years.

17/18 - 9 goals, 8 assists.
18/19 - 14 goals, 13 assists.
19/20 - 8 goals, 14 assists.
20/21 - 9 goals, 12 assists.
21/22 - 10 goals, 6 assists.
22/23 (so far) - 4 goals, 4 assists.

Considering he switched leagues in the middle of that, played in teams going through wildly different seasons of form and had his role tweaked during different phases, I'd say his output has been relatively consistent. More so than someone like a KDB, for example.
Where are all these stats from? Transfer Market says 6 goals/6 assists in all competitions. None of them penalties. Can I not read or are these stats all different

romufc

Wouldn't say it is an agenda - he can be really careless in moments. Even when they come off (like those wonderful cross field pass volleys from throws in our own half), they can cause a fair bit of concern! :lol:
There was a 10 or so minute period towards the end of the first half where he just seemed all over the place, losing balls, trying things that weren't on, and too busy talking to everyone to concentrate properly on his own game.

That said, the boy has magic in his boots and he makes us tick. Creates chances with his passing from nowhere as well as anyone, always makes himself an option, looks to impose himself on the game (rarely ever a passenger) and has a lot of defensive tenacity to boot.

So pleased he's starting to rack up the goal involvement numbers again, reduces the dependence on Rashford
The agenda was for the poster, who over the past has had a Bruno agenda, not you. I agree, he can take care of the ball a bit more.

There are alot of areas he can improve on but to say he is sole reason teams come back into games is agenda driven.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Where are all these stats from? Transfer Market says 6 goals/6 assists in all competitions. None of them penalties. Can I not read or are these stats all different
I got my stats from fbref and was just looking at league returns, mostly because I couldn't be bothered to count up his returns from different competitions in different years.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

More stats to annoy people :lol:

romufc

But But But eye test.. He was so bad and single handedly let Forest into the game, Bruno was lucky the Forest goal was offside because apparently according to some it was his fault.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Uh, no. Otherwise the point would've always been false?
I guess people should just start saying "we more than likely won't ever win anything with Fernandes" to avoid people getting picky over semantics.

RopersReturn

His work rate is phenomenal and he seems to constantly be in the thick of play, giving instructions and advising/mentoring some of the younger members of the team.

He’s certainly a dam sight better captain than Maguire ever was.

mctrials23

I don't think most people are saying he is bad, I think many of us are trying to suggest that he could be better. He could make better decisions at times. That its frustrating. Still one of my favourite players easily over the past few years but it doesn't mean he can't improve.

romufc

I do find it weird how many people on started with he wont fit into Ten Hag's plans, he will be dropped for Donny. The narrative then shifted to, in 2 years he will be replaced because he cannot play in a possession based team. He cannot work for a team that wants to win trophies.

The evidence I have seen from Ten Hag as manager is, if he doesn't rate a player, he will not play that many minutes.

Having said that, lets take a look at that. A player not fitting Ten Hag's system.

Bruno - 2535 mins played this season - most by United player
Maguire - 711 mins played this season - a player that does not suit the system

How can a player that cannot fit the managers system:
a. play the most mins, his understudy (VDB) that everyone thought will replace him has played 294 mins.
b. Promoted to captain

Davie Moyes

That's a really good summary of Bruno. He's such a key player for us and does make us tick so I can never understand posters who say he is holding us back and we will never win anything with him in the team. We will start to win things when we get a few more players of his quality in some of the other key positions. Imagine a midfield of him, Case, and one other top mid e.g. De Jong, Bellingham, Enzo etc.

Eplel

So this dude has 100 goal contributions in 155 games for us and some people here want me to believe he's terrible? How does that work?

Lyng

The agenda was for the poster, who over the past has had a Bruno agenda, not you. I agree, he can take care of the ball a bit more.

There are alot of areas he can improve on but to say he is sole reason teams come back into games is agenda driven.
I dont have an agenda. Get your tinfoil hat of. I have said several times he is important to us and that I like his personality and as a captain.
And I said almost, because there where others, like Casemiro, who dropped the ball in very dangerous areas.
Nothing good comes out of yelling agenda at people for simply pointing out things we think some of our players need to do better at.

Do I want Bruno replaced? Absolutely not.
Do I think he needs to tighten up his composure and learn when to slow down the game? Yes.

If thats an agenda then I guess we should all just stop discussing anything.

Telsim

McTominay was the third highest-rated player on WhoScored, along with AWB, on our aside against Arsenal. When you watched the game, did you think that was the case?

As much as I like Scott he has more games like this than he doesn't. This is his ceiling and it's not good enough for us to be competing.
Apparently not.

Lights Out

I love him, don’t get me wrong, but I thought he was terrible last night until the goal.

Just a lot of his passing and decision making was really off.

77% pass accuracy is pretty poor - almost a quarter of passes going astray?

Last edited:

Bwuk

Good to see him score yesterday. Hopefully start to get a few more.

rooney2009

He has the odd bad game but I think he is our most important player as he continuously drives the team forward
When he is not playing we miss him(like the 1-3 loss to Aston Villa)

zaafi

But.. we haven't won anything with him :lol: And not that I have any idea whether this is true or not, but in the Europa League final against Villarreal, it was Bruno that decided that we should shoot second in the penalty shootout, essentially giving Villarreal an advantage to win according to an "expert on penalty planning".
In most cases, the team that starts the penalty shootout has the highest probability of winning it.

Faetheshire86

I think there is a bit of an unconscious bias when it comes to Bruno. He has earned a reputation for being wasteful, so as soon as he has a couple of sloppy moments like the miss control in his own half (which he recovered) followed by the poor speculative shot, the entire match is written off, despite whatever else he does. I think Rashford was equally, if not more, wasteful as Bruno for the time he was on the pitch last night, but he is being (rightfully) praised, while Bruno's performance is being called atrocious, despite him creating more and doing much more defensively.

romufc

But.. we haven't won anything with him :lol: And not that I have any idea whether this is true or not, but in the Europa League final against Villarreal, it was Bruno that decided that we should shoot second in the penalty shootout, essentially giving Villarreal an advantage to win according to an "expert on penalty planning".
In most cases, the team that starts the penalty shootout has the highest probability of winning it.
Oh wow, this is the first time I am hearing someone blame the player for choosing when to shoot as a reason to why we lost the penalty shoot out that went to keepers.

In most cases so what %? what does most cases mean?

Research also found that, in the World Cup, teams who have gone second in shootouts have a 69 per cent success rate rate, whereas sides going first have a 73 per cent record.

4% diff is most cases?

https://sqaf.club/penalty-shootout-first-or-second/

jeff_goldblum

I'm not usually someone who gets annoyed by him as his ability to create chances is up there with the best in the world, but even I was shaking my head at the end of the first half.

But at full time you're looking at a player who has scored, created at least 3 clear goalscoring opportunities for others that I can remember, and who has put in a great defensive shift. So whilst it'd be great if he hadn't tried a daft shot at the end of the first half, or sliced that left-footed volley in the second, I don't think you can honestly say that he played badly overall. He was probably, again, our most important player in that game.

Kag

Take the rough with the smooth. There’s way more smooth.

No surprise he’s back in the goals now he’s no longer playing second fiddle to the geriatric one.

Status
Not open for further replies.