Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
But at full time you're looking at a player who has scored, created at least 3 clear goalscoring opportunities for others that I can remember, and who has put in a great defensive shift. So whilst it'd be great if he hadn't tried a daft shot at the end of the first half, or sliced that left-footed volley in the second, I don't think you can honestly say that he played badly overall. He was probably, again, our most important player in that game.
I think Martinez and Rashford were more important, but I agree with the rest.

I think we'll just have to accept that certain football fans are allergic to players like Bruno. They puke and shit themselves every time someone misplaces a pass or tries a long shot that doesn't end up in the back of the net. Things like goals, assists and key passes are secondary to them.

Smores

So this dude has 100 goal contributions in 155 games for us and some people here want me to believe he's terrible? How does that work?
They want him to do all the risky balls that work but not do all the risky stuff that doesn't come off. Apparently they don't see the issue with such a demand :lol:

romufc

They want him to do all the risky balls that work but not do all the risky stuff that doesn't come off. Apparently they don't see the issue with such a demand :lol:
Yep, its funny because I have never seen a player get bashed for misplacing a few passes a game. The concept of high risk high reward is not understood by many.

They also have a go at him for talking too much to the ref and arguing but they said Maguire doesnt do it when he is on the pitch and have a go at him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Would you also say that, we wont win anything with ETH, Casemiro and Varane then?
I was playing Devil's advocate moreso than offering my own opinion on the situation. Maybe you could say that about Varane, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to as he's only been here 1.5 seasons, the first being in a highly dysfunctional team. You certainly couldn't with Casemiro and ten Hag as they haven't even had the chance to win a trophy with us yet. Fernandes has had the chance to win a trophy with us and we ended up losing. You'd like to think essentially being in the final of the League Cup would give Fernandes a chance to silence any potential doubters.

zaafi

Oh wow, this is the first time I am hearing someone blame the player for choosing when to shoot as a reason to why we lost the penalty shoot out that went to keepers.

In most cases so what %? what does most cases mean?

Research also found that, in the World Cup, teams who have gone second in shootouts have a 69 per cent success rate rate, whereas sides going first have a 73 per cent record.

4% diff is most cases?

https://sqaf.club/penalty-shootout-first-or-second/
I wasn't really, hence why I put quotation marks between expert in penalty planning. You seem really worked up about what I said:D

As for your argument of 69% and 73%, 4% is still the higher probability, so why choose the lesser option? In the study I read it was 60/40 anyway, but I wasn't really blaming him, just found it odd when it is known that being first tends to have an advantage.

romufc

I wasn't really, hence why I put quotation marks between expert in penalty planning. You seem really worked up about what I said:D

As for your argument of 69% and 73%, 4% is still the higher probability, so why choose the lesser option? In the study I read it was 60/40 anyway, but I wasn't really blaming him, just found it odd when it is known that being first tends to have an advantage.
I am not worked up, just pulling you up.

So is there a link to the study you read, or is it made up?

4% is higher but it doesn't mean most cases does it? Unless in your opinion most cases = 4%

Strelok

Yep, its funny because I have never seen a player get bashed for misplacing a few passes a game. The concept of high risk high reward is not understood by many.

They also have a go at him for talking too much to the ref and arguing but they said Maguire doesnt do it when he is on the pitch and have a go at him.
The same rule also applies for Rashford and Antony btw. In the Rashford thread there's people bashing him for trying to beat multiple defenders. While in the Antony thread people bashing him for not doing that. Sometime it's just impossible to please everyone.

Anyway ETH should rest him next game if possible imo. This guy has played an insane amount of football in the last years. Last match he fecked up a simple touch which I've never seen him did before. You can say his passing is erratic sometime but his touch has always been top.

Someone

Something
I don't get focusing just on the positive or negative side of his game. We need him to score and assist, but also to stop being careless in possession sometimes as it can be extremely costly against decent sides. His lack of focus while passing sometimes is borderline negligent. He can be great and equally poor sometimes, and if we're to win trophies we'll need him to cut the shitty part of his game. World class players don't go from great to atrocious like that. All in all I'm not happy with him and I think he's capable of much more.

romufc

The same rule also applies for Rashford and Antony btw. In the Rashford thread there's people bashing him for trying to beat multiple defenders. While in the Antony thread people bashing him for not doing that. Sometime it's just impossible to please everyone.

Anyway ETH should rest him next game if possible imo. This guy has played an insane amount of football in the last years. Last match he fecked up a simple touch which I've never seen him did before. You can say his passing is erratic sometime but his touch has always been top.
Yep, If we stopped Rashford from taking on people, we do not score goals against Arsenal and Forest.

As long as the manager is happy, I trust him because I have seen this season, if the manager is not happy, he will simply not play the player.

He needs a rest but the guy is a machine, he is playing every minute of every competition, he will go into games but still give 110%.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Bruno is one if the best players we have. He can frustrate sometimes, nobody is perfect, even Messi had bad games in his career, but Bruno is a top player and most importantly he has been a fantastic captain for us!!!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think in a game like vs nottingham forest it's difficult to assess if Bruno had a bad/good game. He looked alright to me.
Moving the ball quickly and forwards/wingers making good runs definitely helps to create chances for whoever plays that position. This is obviously an assumption because only Bruno plays that position for us. Put Eriksen in Bruno place yesterday and he probably still creates the same chances. He doesn't carry the ball that good and can't press, but his passing and shooting is level above Bruno.

The United

I am not able to find the footage again to confirm what I saw during the live match again.

I thought he pointed out about someone in the crowd that collapsed who may had been in a bad situation or needed helped during his goal celebration. Things like that makes me warm my heart about this guy.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
McTominay was the third highest-rated player on WhoScored, along with AWB, on our aside against Arsenal. When you watched the game, did you think that was the case?

Apparently not.
Tell you what. He's done me there! :lol:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
What's wrong with his shooting? I thought he was good at it but now he rarely gets them on target.
Yeah his long range shooting has been awful. It's just part of his technique being weird and not consistent. Think he had a big purple patch at the start and now he's reverted back to the mean.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I am not able to find the footage again to confirm what I saw during the live match again.

I thought he pointed out about someone in the crowd that collapsed who may had been in a bad situation or needed helped during his goal celebration. Things like that makes me warm my heart about this guy.
Yeah, after his goal at the end of the Forest game. The ad barrier in front of the fans that were celebrating collapsed and a steward and a couple of fans fell. Bruno at some point noted something among that and pointed at it. It looked to me like he thought someone needed help. That was nice, yeah.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think Martinez and Rashford were more important, but I agree with the rest.

I think we'll just have to accept that certain football fans are allergic to players like Bruno. They puke and shit themselves every time someone misplaces a pass or tries a long shot that doesn't end up in the back of the net. Things like goals, assists and key passes are secondary to them.
I think what you need to accept, and it’s quite simple really, is that some people watch the game and form an opinion on how players play. The entire 90 minutes isn’t viewed in a 45 second snapshot of where three good passes were made. It’s viewed over the 90 minutes week on week and a larger opinion is formed over weeks/months of performances rather than stats.

Also this isn’t an agenda. It’s opinion. Some people feel like this. Some people feel Bruno always plays well and is better than Casemiro, Martinez, Rashford, Varane etc.

I think that’s fine but it becomes an agenda to try to finish any counter view when you can’t accept that anyone would feel differently.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I think what you need to accept, and it’s quite simple really, is that some people watch the game and form an opinion on how players play.
It's quite arrogant to assume that people who rate Bruno(which would be the vast majority) don't do this. You can clearly see that he does a good job. You can tell that he works his ass off. You can see that usually when a chance or a goal is created then he will have played a big part in it.

My question is then: what else is there for a number 10 to do? The only thing you can fault Bruno for is how he squanders possession or shoots a little too often. But when you consider the work rate, fitness, smart movement, key passes, assists and goals, then it's easily worth it for most of us fans.

You're talking as if Bruno is a useless players who happens to have nice numbers only because of luck and penalties. And that is why people in this thread are calling you out. It's so far away from reality it's staggering.

Some people feel Bruno always plays well and is better than Casemiro, Martinez, Rashford, Varane etc.
I don't think that Bruno has been better than these 4 this season, but I do think that he belongs in the same bracket. Our 5 best and most important players are the 4 you mentioned plus Bruno.

romufc

It's quite arrogant to assume that people who rate Bruno(which would be the vast majority) don't do this. You can clearly see that he does a good job. You can tell that he works his ass off. You can see that usually when a chance or a goal is created then he will have played a big part in it.

My question is then: what else is there for a number 10 to do? The only thing you can fault Bruno for is how he squanders possession or shoots a little too often. But when you consider the work rate, fitness, smart movement, key passes, assists and goals, then it's easily worth it for most of us fans.

You're talking as if Bruno is a useless players who happens to have nice numbers only because of luck and penalties. And that is why people in this thread are calling you out. It's so far away from reality it's staggering.

I don't think that Bruno has been better than these 4 this season, but I do think that he belongs in the same bracket. Our 5 best and most important players are the 4 you mentioned plus Bruno.

I dont think you will win with certain posters, they have a Bruno agenda.

They ignore what he gives the team and focus on the negatives. You can see clearly the manager, who works with him everyday, who plays him every game, who trusts him as captain. Thats the one that matters.

He is clearly with 3/4 others in the team, the first name on the team sheet and there is a reason for that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Not read past this part because I’ve never said they don’t.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s just that some fans assume that possession football means that we have to play like a Guardiola team and just pass it around like left and right so we never lose it.

Possesion football can be played with a bit of risk attached to it and it can usually come up with some good results as someone like Bruno Fernándes does do for us.

I’ve seen Guardiola teams just knocking themselves out of CL year after year because he has spent too much time passing the ball in his own bloody half than ever really attacking the opposition goal posts.

We are not a pep team and we can and should take risks even if we are a possession based team.

romufc

It’s just that some fans assume that possession football means that we have to play like a Guardiola team and just pass it around like left and right so we never lose it.

Possesion football can be played with a bit of risk attached to it and it can usually come up with some good results as someone like Bruno Fernándes does do for us.

I’ve seen Guardiola teams just knocking themselves out of CL year after year because he has spent too much time passing the ball in his own bloody half than ever really attacking the opposition goal posts.

We are not a pep team and we can and should take risks even if we are a possession based team.
The thing is even in a Guardiola system, their creative player in KDB has a pass % similar to Bruno.

I actually like seing Bruno get the ball and play the passes in behind, play the hard ball because 1/2 of them will come of in a game and we will score.

The way Ten hag is operating, even when we lose the ball, he wants the players to recover it quick, in that phase, there is no better player than Bruno, pick it up and find the killer pass.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not sure why it’s so hard for people to accept that some people who watch Bruno every week don’t think he played well, don’t think he played well, think he played ok, think he played well, think he was atrocious etc etc….look through the thread game on game there tends to be a general consensus game to game.

If some of you want to turn that into your own agendas that’s fine….but it’s not the reality

Conor

Not sure why it’s so hard for people to accept that some people who watch Bruno every week don’t think he played well, don’t think he played well, think he played ok, think he played well, think he was atrocious etc etc….look through the thread game on game there tends to be a general consensus game to game.

If some of you want to turn that into your own agendas that’s fine….but it’s not the reality
Does it not make you realise that you're a bit shit at judging performance, if you form that opinion when watching him, when the manager loves him and plays him every game?

Real Name

Cant wait till we win something, then I'll pay a visit to - we wont win anything with Bruno - thread.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Does it not make you realise that you're a bit shit at judging performance, if you form that opinion when watching him, when the manager loves him and plays him every game?
If I am then I’m not alone. The general consensus week to week tends to be the same, in that when he plays well it’s the general consensus and when he doesn’t it’s the general consensus.

Anything beyond is narrativeand positive regard.

Anyway I’m happy if you feel he’s had a good two years. Hopefully you can accept that I don’t.

Trex

If I am then I’m not alone. The general consensus week to week tends to be the same, in that when he plays well it’s the general consensus and when he doesn’t it’s the general consensus.

Anything beyond is narrativeand positive regard.

Anyway I’m happy if you feel he’s had a good two years. Hopefully you can accept that I don’t.
We all have our preferences, Bruno does a lot of things that frustrate me but he's a net positive to me and to me what he brings significantly outway the negative.
An ex footballer like Paul Scholes thinks Bruno is a better player than he was, that's some praise, but I guess you're allowed to see the game from your point of view and also voice your opinion.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
:lol: You might want to look through the thread and see how many posts there are that can’t let go of the fact that some people don’t think Bruno has been great the last two years. Then look at how many follow that up claiming it’s ‘agenda’ .....then refuse to accept that perhaps people have a different opinion even when their own opinion is accepted.

Your post doesn’t suprise me, ‘try and shut it down’

:lol: I’m the one who needs to let it go ? despite the fact people quote me, tag me, reply, refuse to accept a different opinion, etc etc while I’m happy to let them get on and almost every other post has me saying I’m happy for you to feel that way, or let’s just leave it their etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.