Bruno Fernandes performances 2019/20

Giggsyking

United had ~70% possession against Wolves and Palace. But we only scored one goal on each games. Why do we need more control of the game?

It's obvious we need a player that can score, or make that possession count.
Exactly why we need someone who can pull the assist and benefit from the possession.

Bestietom

We need Pogba as the roaming number 10. He is the one that can score and open up defences.

TheReligion

Abusive
Funny, because that crystal palace team just looked like bottom half Portuguese team and no one got 6 assists.
This isn't the Scottish or the Dutch league. It is funny the disrespect our league gets but when you look at every top team in the world there is a player(s) that came from the Portuguese league.

It is not a high scoring league either which makes this post even more ignorant.
Ignore it. Simple ignorance of someone who only knows the mainstream leagues.
You need to chill the feck out guys :lol:

Was just having a laugh.

meamth

I thought we signed Bruno Fernandes..I thought this is our player's performance thread. :(

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You need to chill the feck out guys :lol:

Was just having a laugh.
Sorry but there are a few people here who have a habit of disrespecting anything they is not the EPL so I took it that way :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Mistake not signing him

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Palace would win the Portuguese league easily. They looked bad because they were playing against a very good United side, that would walk the portuguese league. Palace weren’t playing against Braga here. United may not be great in the PL at the moment but Porto and Benfica would be dominated by them.
:houllier:

Bonkers how you can confidently blurt out such an opinion when you know for a fact you're completely ignorant on the subject since you do not even watch the portuguese league.

And this comes from someone who's regularly said that the league has been on a decline as a whole.

BlueHaze

:houllier::houllier::houllier:

Bonkers how you can confidently blurt out such an opinion when you know for a fact you're completely ignorant on the subject since you do not even watch the portuguese league.
They would struggle big time against either of Porto Benfica or Sporting. Actually in a 2 game tie I can't see Palace winning against either.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
They would struggle big time against either of Porto Benfica or Sporting. Actually in a 2 game tie I can't see Palace winning against either.
You really think that one of the teams with the worst football on the premier league will walk over and dominate all teams except the big 3? wth are you guys thinking?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
They’re probably at a similar level to Sporting actually, wouldn’t walk the league at all but the likes of Zaha and Benteke would dominate here.

The level of the Portuguese league has fallen throughout the years when compared to the top 5 leagues as it’s happened to all minor leagues in Europe, it’s not as bad as the comments here would have you believe though.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What a car crash of a post. I genuinely thought this was satire :houllier:
Porto and Benfica would both comfortably finish above Palace IMO. And I suspect SCP would too even with all their troubles.
Porto, Benfica, and a good Sporting (not the one I am currently subjected to seeing every weekend) would beat most teams in the EPL bar the usual top clubs. Liverpool, City, Arsenal, United, Spurs, Chelsea, Besides those clubs the big 3 would beat the others and have done so in European competitions on a consistent basis.

Palace would win the Portuguese league is just idiotic, Braga could beat Palace in a 2 legged game or even at home.
They really wouldn’t. The Portuguese league is the 6th, 7th or 8th best league in Europe depending on people’s opinions. The top 3 aren’t that great. Years ago maybe but not in comparison to the PL with the influx of money.

Porto, Benfica and Sporting are blessed that they have much more financial power than the rest of their league and the competition against them isn’t great.

The PL is fiercely competitive amongst the mid table teams and they can snatch some good results against bigger teams. The big 3 in Portugal just steam roll their league every year.

Palace would be good competition for them and would smash any of them out of the water financially with the current money in the PL. Fair enough if the money is taken away but they do have that money.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
They really wouldn’t. The Portuguese league is the 6th, 7th or 8th best league in Europe depending on people’s opinions. The top 3 aren’t that great. Years ago maybe but not in comparison to the PL with the influx of money.

Porto, Benfica and Sporting are blessed that they have much more financial power than the rest of their league and the competition against them isn’t great.

The PL is fiercely competitive amongst the mid table teams and they can snatch some good results against bigger teams. The big 3 in Portugal just steam roll their league every year.

Palace would be good competition for them and would smash any of them out of the water financially with the current money in the PL. Fair enough if the money is taken away but they do have that money.
The same way Liverpool and City do?

In the previous post Palace would walk the league. Now in this one, 'they'd be good competition'... a couple more posts and they're worse than Braga.

Saying that Crystal Palace would walk the portuguese league is so wrong. So what if they have more money when they can't use that money to build better squads? The talent that comes out of the academies out of the big three is more than enough to make up for any budget discrepancies.

Porto and Benfica would most likely finish 7th in England. After all Wolves finished 7th with a bunch of players that flopped in the portuguese league. Jota, Boly and Neves weren't good enough for Porto and Jimenez wasn't good enough for Benfica.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Can also see why we didn't go for him. A player who passes FORWARDS? That's never going to work.

We need to be spending 60-70m on another Harry Winks.

Our possession stats will be :drool:.
I thing they never watched any of his games when they said he loses the ball too much, he most of the time makes passes to the forwards and that's the reason he has so many assists and obvious a lot of his passes are intercepted but United management likes players who pass back or to the side to improve their passing stats.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I thing they never watched any of his games when they said he loses the ball too much, he most of the time makes passes to the forwards and that's the reason he has so many assists and obvious a lot of his passes are intercepted but United management likes players who pass back or to the side to improve their passing stats.
End of the day who the feck wants an attacking/creative midfielder with good pass retention stats. All that can mean is that he's not taking enough risks or being creative, which is his job.

Sure, if it's a water carrier/more of a fernandinho type whose job is to keep the midfield ticking over, you want that. But for a player like Fernandes you should only be worried if the player isn't getting assists .. and he's getting a fecking bucketload.

SportingCP96

Supports

Sorry but..no. I have seen much better teams from England then fecking Crystal Palace (No disrespect to there fans) get properly outplayed for fun. Everton, Newcastle Spurs, among others. Sporting have beaten a City team that dominated United in their own perch. Porto have also gone toe to toe with United. Benfica outplayed Spurs in England on route to a final vs Chelsea which they lost 2-1 in the 92 minute. Sporting smashed a Newcastle side 4-1 in Portugal, Everton 3-0 in Portugal. Hell even fecking Braga knocked out Liverpool over 2 legs etc. Just to name a few.

Porto, Benfica, Sporting (Not the current debacle of a team) finish outside of the top 6 more often than not Hell even this shite Sporting finish in at least 10th right now. There are players playing for Wolves who were bench warmers in Portugal as well as their coach who got sacked by Porto and is now the best thing to ever happen to Wolves. Portuguese clubs are often in the knockout rounds of the CL or in the late rounds of the Europa League. Can Palace get to the quarters of the CL if you stick them in right now? Not a chance.

So I am sorry but you have not got a clue if you can sit here and say that nonsense. Palace would not even compete for a league title in Portugal.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
His assists came against a team many have probably never heard of called 'Portimonense'

The first assist could've been made by most on the Caf tbh.

The second assist came about after one of the SCP players threaded a beautiful ball through to Fernandes who made a good run and from close range passed it across for a tap in. Portimonense tried pushing up to play the SCP players offside but got it badly wrong IMO.

The third assist came about after Fernandes was afforded all the time in the world to receive a pass on the left edge of the area whilst he was static and he took his time to cross it into the box for assist #3. You'd think he'd be marked closely due to his record, but the opposition stood of and allowed him time to pick his targeted player which was a bad error by the Portimonense players IMO.

Here are the short highlights..

That team is from Portimao Algarve and small teams in Portugal play defense which is hard to score the first one.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Do people actually think Crystal fecking Palace would be competing for the Portuguese league.

This forum sometimes :lol:.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Do people actually think Crystal fecking Palace would be competing for the Portuguese league.

This forum sometimes :lol:.
To be fair it's only one guy. Agree its a whacky view.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Exactly why we need someone who can pull the assist and benefit from the possession.
United had ~70% possession against Wolves and Palace. But we only scored one goal on each games. Why do we need more control of the game?

It's obvious we need a player that can score, or make that possession count.
A distinction has to be made between playmaking/vastly improving the general quality of the buildup VS creative passing in the final third/being an assist getter.

Let's say David Silva Vs Juan Mata. Of course some players can do both but this for arguments sake.

Now while we have high possession in many games, is it clear to everybody that we need the latter kind of player more than the former? For me much of our possession is sterile and more than somebody who can play the final ball (we have Pogba who is excellent at it) we need someone who brings the football together - a playmaker. A David Silva or De Bruyne type footballer.

We've seen the end product number 10s constantly fail at United - Kagawa, Mkhitaruan, even ADM.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Our league is a bit shit, bit I'd bet in the last 10 seasons, if we exclude the top 3 from Portugal and the top 6 from England, portuguese teams have better head to head results in Europe.

Alexit

Meanwhile, City buys and benches Rodri (after one game) and can bench Fernandinho who'd probably start for us ATM. Not to mention the injury-prone İlkay Gündoğan is ticking over nicely for them in the middle.

Well maybe one day Scott, Fred, and Andreas will come good. The absolute state of this blasted club.

Chairman Steve

While time will tell whether he’d actually have been good for us with the Gaitan levels of links to him this past summer... Can you see our esteemed ‘JLingz’ getting those numbers in the Portuguese league?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
While time will tell whether he’d actually have been good for us with the Gaitan levels of links to him this past summer... Can you see our esteemed ‘JLingz’ getting those numbers in the Portuguese league?
In the current Sporting squad? Absolutely not.

RooneyLegend

Sorry but..no. I have seen much better teams from England then fecking Crystal Palace (No disrespect to there fans) get properly outplayed for fun. Everton, Newcastle Spurs, among others. Sporting have beaten a City team that dominated United in their own perch. Porto have also gone toe to toe with United. Benfica outplayed Spurs in England on route to a final vs Chelsea which they lost 2-1 in the 92 minute. Sporting smashed a Newcastle side 4-1 in Portugal, Everton 3-0 in Portugal. Hell even fecking Braga knocked out Liverpool over 2 legs etc. Just to name a few.

Porto, Benfica, Sporting (Not the current debacle of a team) finish outside of the top 6 more often than not Hell even this shite Sporting finish in at least 10th right now. There are players playing for Wolves who were bench warmers in Portugal as well as their coach who got sacked by Porto and is now the best thing to ever happen to Wolves. Portuguese clubs are often in the knockout rounds of the CL or in the late rounds of the Europa League. Can Palace get to the quarters of the CL if you stick them in right now? Not a chance.

So I am sorry but you have not got a clue if you can sit here and say that nonsense. Palace would not even compete for a league title in Portugal.
Come on now, stop contaminating this thread with all that knowledge. The Portuguese league is trash, and all the teams there would be relegated in the prem!!!

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Crystal Palace is definately a better side than Sporting. It's just a fact. Vietto looks like a great player for Sporting, he was comfortably one of the 5 worst performers in EPL last year. They have players like Coates who was a starter for many years for them. He wouldn't even start in some championship sides. Palace have a much bigger budget. Sporting has to fish players from small sides like L.Phellype and pray they become a key contributer. Also, people are underestimating what competing every week in EPL does to raise the level of all the players. Palace have to test themselves every week against sides ten folds better than what Sporting face

People once overrated the EPL, but now they are underestimating it.

And the gap is getting bigger every year. I honestly feel like Everton and Wolves would be second place in Italy, competing with Napoli. I am very confident about this too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A distinction has to be made between playmaking/vastly improving the general quality of the buildup VS creative passing in the final third/being an assist getter.

Let's say David Silva Vs Juan Mata. Of course some players can do both but this for arguments sake.

Now while we have high possession in many games, is it clear to everybody that we need the latter kind of player more than the former? For me much of our possession is sterile and more than somebody who can play the final ball (we have Pogba who is excellent at it) we need someone who brings the football together - a playmaker. A David Silva or De Bruyne type footballer.

We've seen the end product number 10s constantly fail at United - Kagawa, Mkhitaruan, even ADM.
ADM is not a no. 10. He's on the David Silva mold, imho.

Also KDB is not really a pure playmaker but more of assist King, I think.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Crystal Palace is definately a better side than Sporting. It's just a fact. Vietto looks like a great player for Sporting, he was comfortably one of the 5 worst performers in EPL last year. They have players like Coates who was a starter for many years for them. He wouldn't even start in some championship sides. Palace have a much bigger budget. Sporting has to fish players from small sides like L.Phellype and pray they become a key contributer. Also, people are underestimating what competing every week in EPL does to raise the level of all the players. Palace have to test themselves every week against sides ten folds better than what Sporting face

And the gap is getting bigger every year. I honestly feel like Everton and Wolves would be second place in Italy, competing with Napoli. I am very confident about this too.
you are mad.....everton is at best atalanta level. Wolves is such an overrated team as well. They are setup to do great against big teams....but cant dictate games against smaller teams. So how they gonna break smaller teams

SportingCP96

Supports

Ok and Boly was a bench warmer in Porto and now he is a star for Wolves. That Vietto point is irrelevant as some players just are very systematic, some need to feel loved and trusted etc to succeed. Vietto is a talented player that was never his issue, self motivation and confidence was and is his problem. At 21 he was a star at Villarreal both in the league and Europa League. Could Sporting be the club to kick start his career? maybe. Only time will tell but that has zero relevance in comparing the two sides.

In a 1 off game anyone can beat anyone but I have no doubt over 2 legs even this sorry Sporting side would beat Palace over 2 legs, The last goof Sporting side (15/16) would beat Palace a minimum of 3-0 both games. As for the competing against better sides every weekend point that had zero relevance in Porto and Benfica going far in Europe. The same could be said for Sporting besides the last 2 years. Ajax is another example of this where they were facing Groningen one weekend and knocking out Juve and Real the next. Palace would struggle to get a point in a CL group stage.

Lastly as for the Wolves and Everton getting second place I wont even get into that comment, I will just agree to disagree.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

Vietto looks a great player for us??? He had one not crap game so far, he's played 4 games.

Wolves are a team made out of players from Portugal, most of them failing here. They finished 7th in England. Why does your logic only work one way? Zeegelaar was one of the worst players I've ever seen play for Sporting and he left only to start for Watford, there are loads of examples of players being bad in one league and then looking great in the other. Zeegelaar, Boly, Diogo Jota, Atsu...

Why does it matter that they have a bigger budget than us when we bring out a bunch of starters from the academy and they bring none? Was Patricio crap at Sporting because he cost nothing but good at Wolves because there was a transfer fee?

We're around the same level as Palace, they are not comfortably better at all nor would they walk the league :houllier:

SportingCP96

Supports
Vietto looks a great player for us??? He had one not crap game so far, he's played 4 games. Why are people that do not even watch the league so confidently talking about the league? Coates is a starter for us by the way.

Wolves are a team made out of players from Portugal, most of them failing here. They finished 7th in England. Why does your logic only work one way? Zeegelaar was one of the worst players I've ever seen play for Sporting and he left only to start for Watford, there are loads of examples of players being bad in one league and then looking great in the other. Zeegelaar, Boly, Diogo Jota, Atsu...

Why does it matter that they have a bigger budget than us when we bring out a bunch of starters from the academy and they bring none? Was Patricio crap at Sporting because he cost nothing but good at Wolves because there was a transfer fee?

We're around the same level as Palace, they are not comfortably better at all and nor would they walk the league ffs.
Bingo. That last point was a good one as well. A player doing bad in a team and league does not mean much especially when the club was a horrible Fulham team that got relegated. It happens all the time even with world class players.

As for Vietto exactly he had one good game and people are now writing on here as if he is a star at Sporting. Vietto has talent its quite obvious, that was never his issue his issue is his confidence and willingness to work. He has a long way to go before he becomes a "star" here.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Vietto looks a great player for us??? He had one not crap game so far, he's played 4 games.

We're around the same level as Palace, they are not comfortably better at all nor would they walk the league :houllier:
Well, if a player doing bad isn't a good indicator, how about the fact that Krasnodar eliminated Portugal's 2nd best team?

I think Portuguese football is good (players+managers) but the league isn't strong at all and Crystal Palace would finish above Sporting.

SportingCP96

Supports
Well, if a player doing bad isn't a good indicator, how about the fact that Krasnodar eliminated Portugal's 2nd best team?

I think Portuguese football is good (players+managers) but the league isn't strong at all and Crystal Palace would finish above Sporting.
How come Ajax beat Juve and Real? Is that an indicator of anything? no not at all. Its called football. In 10 ties Porto would win 9 Krasnador got the better of them it happens. That same team got destroyed 4-0 by Olympiakos, so is the greek league now better then the Portuguese and Russian?

Sporting eliminated City over 2 legs in 11/12 does that mean Sporting were the actual EPL champions that year?

Crystal Palace would finish behind Sporting in any league Portuguese, English, Rec league, Church league, you name it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Crystal Palace throw an over the hill Gary Cahill who has probably played like 3 games of football in the last year straight in to their starting XI but oh shit no Sporting start Coates so they must be worse.

They also have Jordan Ayew and Christian Benteke which probably breaks records for being the least prolific strike force in history.

From the entirety of their squad Zaha is a good player and Milivojevic and Guaita are ok. The rest very from trash to players who absolutely would not stand out in the championship. Aside from Sakho, but he's a perma-crock nowadays.

Having a bigger budget doesn't mean shit when you spend 45m on Andros Townsend and Benteke, and give a massive contract to a non-entity like Meyer.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
How come Ajax beat Juve and Real? Is that an indicator of anything? no not at all. Its called football. In 10 ties Porto would win 9 Krasnador got the better of them it happens. That same team got destroyed 4-0 by Olympiakos, so is the greek league now better then the Portuguese and Russian?

Sporting eliminated City over 2 legs in 11/12 does that mean Sporting were the actual EPL champions that year?

Crystal Palace would finish behind Sporting in any league Portuguese, English, Rec league, Church league, you name it.
Liverpool beat Porto (Portugal's best team in Europe) 7-1 on agg.

I'd bet my 2 lungs that Klopp would much rather face Porto than Palace in a two legged tie. Just my two cents.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

I'd bet my 2 lungs that Klopp would much rather face Porto than Palace in a two legged tie. Just my two cents.
Because Palace would park the bus and that's harder for a team like Liverpool to face than one like Porto who try and play football/go to toe with them. It's not because Palace are a better football team than Porto.

Look at what happens whenever Arsenal rock up to Anfield, a slaughter. Last season it was 5-0. They'd probably prefer to play Arsenal at Anfield than Palace as well, because stylistically it's a better match up for them.

Porto, Sporting, Benfica etc would all play on the front foot vs Palace, they have better footballers. Palace might win a few in the same way they win against the better sides in the Prem, but the Portuguese league clubs would win a majority of the time.

SportingCP96

Supports

So that is your logic in Palace being better?

Porto got smacked in a 2 legged tie vs the Champions of Europe in the QUARTER finals of the CL. Palace would be lucky to get 1 point in the group phase.

I don't know if you are taking the piss or not because this along with "Wolves and Everton would get second place in Serie A" might be some if not the most idiotic thing I have read on the CAF.