Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
They say we have replacements in mind but the truth is I don’t trust our current scouting department under varandas at all. With that being said I doubt the replacement will be anywhere near the quality needed. My hope is we start returning to our core foundation and play more of the academy kids. We recently promoted a GK named Max and he has shown good signs so far.

Things in general though are looking very very bleak unfortunately.
Sorry to hear it but the Sporting academy usually pulls through.

Just another question on Bruno, I've seen how many cards he picks up. Would you consider him as a dirty player?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Reports in Abola today saying that United and Sporting have had meetings. Sporting allegedly are stuck on 70M but there is belief that number can go lower. United were interested in including one of Rojo, Joel pereira, and Angel Gomes. According to the reports though none of those names were brought up in the initial meeting between Woodward and Varandas/Hugo Viana.

https://www.abola.pt/nnh/2020-01-11...es-com-o-man-united-por-bruno-fernande/823631

MyOnlySolskjaer

Reports in Abola today saying that United and Sporting have had meetings. Sporting allegedly are stuck on 70M but there is belief that number can go lower. United were interested in including one of Rojo, Joel pereira, and Angel Gomes. According to the reports though none of those names were brought up in the initial meeting between Woodward and Varandas/Hugo Viana.

https://www.abola.pt/nnh/2020-01-11...es-com-o-man-united-por-bruno-fernande/823631
70m Euros right? I think that's a reasonable price.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah feck guys who score and assist goals, work hard and have good technique, why would we want them?
Yeah feck learning how to read. Who'd want to do that?

A hard working midfielder who has solid technique and very good end product (in a weak league so far) would no doubt improve us. But I do think we need more playmaking ability/genuine technical excellence in midfield. Heck it's obvious from watching us. Not that we can't sign both but I hope the latter comes as well.

SportingCP96

Supports
Thank you boss

More similar to Madison or grealish? Madison is my guess, main talent seems to be striking the ball so well ?
For sure more Maddison but I personally believe Bruno has more quality. I am saying that with as much unbiased as I can but you lot can take that assessment as you will.

His best assets for sure is his fantastic ability to strike a ball. Hits then at fantastic pace and power from distance and scored a fair amount from that range too. Any shot from 20-25 yards out that goes on target is almost automatic. He also is a fantastic set piece maker. Both penalties and free kicks.

Though his goal scoring takes all the exploits he hits 16+ assists consistently.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ricardo Pereira

If you consider Leicester a top team that is, they are 2nd now with him as their first choice RB so I guess you have to.
Both good examples but I was thinking more from an attacking sense. I honestly can't think of anyone bar Nani, who had 2 great seasons.

Maybe I'm just worried because our own record isn't exactly great, Ronaldo aside.

Well I think one things that helps Bruno is United are a club who are in transition and growing and this would allow both the club and player to grow together, of course there would be pressure because it’s Manchester United but there is “less pressure” to win based on where the club is at currently.

He has the same Energy and non stop running of Bernardo Silva to go with his quality in the final third...his shots from distance are automatic and can help unlock those stubborn defenses who sit deep.

Time will tell but I would be both happy and proud to see him wearing the red of Manchester United.
Good points, and to be fair, if he turns out to be even half the player B. Silva is I'd be delighted, hopefully half the racist too.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sorry to hear it but the Sporting academy usually pulls through.

Just another question on Bruno, I've seen how many cards he picks up. Would you consider him as a dirty player?
Not at all. A decent amount of his cards Are from him arguing with the referee. He has no problem speaking his mind and that gets him a lot of warnings.

Portuguese refs are beyond soft and they fell a foul for breathing on someone.

As for the academy I hope we begin producing how we used too.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah feck learning how to read. Who'd want to do that?

A hard working midfielder who has solid technique and very good end product (in a weak league so far) would no doubt improve us. But I do think we need more playmaking ability/genuine technical excellence in midfield. Heck it's obvious from watching us. Not that we can't sign both but I hope the latter comes as well.
I understand your opinion, I just think you're wrong. And you're allowed and I'm allowed, I don't see the big deal.

MyOnlySolskjaer

When is the last time a player came directly from the Portuguese league to a top team and was successful, by the way?
Ruben Neves and Raul Jiménez have to be the stand out for that specific criteria. Jota and Pereira have been good. But there are plenty of other former league players who joined via another team doing well in the Premier league i.e. Bernardo Silva, Moutinho and Ederson are top players.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In almost all the Bruno Fernandes threads I have wrote extensive stuff about his playstyle and I would do it again but I am in the midst of writing something up for work as well but I will give you a quick run down.

SHOOTING: he has unbelievable shooting with both his left and right foot he uses both power and precision (mostly power) and hits them from distance often and with good amounts of success

PASSING/VISION: He is the creator for Sporting and everything runs through him. His long passing and through balls are of high quality and his ability to make a pass before receiving the ball is very good as well. His teammates at times struggle to keep up with what he tries to do which says a lot about how shit Sporting are.

DRIBBLING: He can beat a man if he needs to or in tight spaces but this is NOT one of the traits you should be focused on when getting a player like Bruno. It is not something you really highlight about him as player.

STAMINA/LEADERSHIP: You get a natural born leader with Bruno and he very often the first to track back and go up and down the pitch. If he loses it you can bet your bottom dollar he will take it right back. If a teammate loses it he is the first to pull back. He has very high on field IQ which may explain why he says he hopes to be a coach one day.

ABILITY TO GET OUT OF TIGHT SPACES: Has no problem doing this and if the Portuguese league is a turn off for you he has done it in the CL vs Barcelona.

SETPIECES: Dam near automatic. World class penalty taker and his free kicks are brilliant as well scores a lot of them.

His vision passing and overall ability in the final third is of the best quality I have personally ever seen in Sporting.

Sounds like Beckham?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We are lacking options in that position, yes, but the creative part of the midfield is even more pressing.
We have Jesse Lingard on the first 11 for Christ's sake.
Because Pogba isn’t fit. That’s not a permanent state.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What makes you think dm is more of a priority over 10? We need creative attackers and goals-scorers the most imo.

If we can fix that, our defence will naturally improve overnight as less pressure will be on them. You don't agree? It's one of the main reasons why i would have preferred midfielders/attackers in the summer instead of Maguire.
A ‘DM’ isn’t the priority for me, a ‘CM’ is. But not an ‘AM’. We are feeling this because Pogba has been injured, but he will return. When he does, we will have a great creative midfielder, with McTominay and Matic competing behind him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Seems most likely which would be a pretty damning moment for Ole's youth movement when he allows one of our most talented youngsters to leave the club.
Hes talented but poor In decision making And really never imposed himself on a game.

It can’t be an indictment of Ole’s policy if he’s promoted Williams and Greenwood, and they’ve taken their chances but Gomes/ Chong haven’t! Gomes has been in and out for a while now and has also flitted in and out of England’s youth. He just may have stalled.

Some players from the youth will look the part and others won’t. TBF we’ve had better leave and do ok lower down

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Because Pogba isn’t fit. That’s not a permanent state.
We cant have Pogba as our only creative midfield player. Also Pogba is not a 10

Nickelodeon

A ‘DM’ isn’t the priority for me, a ‘CM’ is. But not an ‘AM’. We are feeling this because Pogba has been injured, but he will return. When he does, we will have a great creative midfielder, with McTominay and Matic competing behind him.
Let's be honest. Getting a quality player in Lingard's position is the biggest need of the hour. Additionally, we need as many numbers in midfield as possible. Ideally we should find a DM/Box-to-Box midfielder to be an upgrade / rotate with McT. Pogba has proven this year that we can't really count on him (injury or commitment issues) but if he is available, he will be a bonus.

A McT-Pogba-Bruno midfield looks really good on paper and hopefully gets us in the top 4 and/or wins us the EL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We cant have Pogba as our only creative midfield player. Also Pogba is not a 10
No we can’t/shouldn’t, but in our first XI, he can be our only exclusively creative player. Therefore, what we’d benefit most from is a midfielder who can help with the creativity in addition to helping with the defending and controlling. A Marco Verratti would make far more sense next to Pogba than a Javier Pastore.

Cliche Guevara

Sounds like Sporting are selling because they desperately need the money. On that basis I’m not sure it benefits them to take any players in exchange.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I understand your opinion, I just think you're wrong. And you're allowed and I'm allowed, I don't see the big deal.
No big deal. I was just copying your phrasing tbh. I'm not sure I feel very strongly either way. I've not really seen enough of Fernandes to form a proper opinion. I've for awhile believed that we need playmakers and technically gifted players in midfield. But like I said, we need a few so maybe this fellow will also add a lot.

Fosu-Mens

Any shot from 20-25 yards out that goes on target is almost automatic. He also is a fantastic set piece maker. Both penalties and free kicks.
While he has around 4 shots per game on average, I would rather have him hitting them from distance compared to Fred or Rashford.
Plays high-risk passing football, which is ok for his position when operating high up the pitch, but can cause some counter-attack against. Can hit long passes which is something we lack among our players and got a functional weaker foot.
His set-piece ability is the main reason as for why we should buy him and is something that should not depend on the league you play in. Not sure if he will get to as many shooting opportunities as he does in Liga Nos or EL, and he will not reach the same amount of goals or assist for us, but is a clear upgrade compared to Pereira, Mata and Lingard.
Would not compare him to Maddison in regards to their ability to handle the ball. Maddison got a softer touch and is much better when moving with the ball.

Don't think him, Rashford and PP would fit into the same team though given the number of shots they take and the number of times our team is actually able to get the ball into good shooting positions without pressure.

Would improve our team, especially on set pieces, but Pelligrini with a £25m release clause (Which Roma are desperate and currently working on removing) would be a better transfer and a better player for our overall play if you exclude set-piece situations. Should be noted that Pellegrini is a good set-piece (Corner and free kicks) as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Let's be honest. Getting a quality player in Lingard's position is the biggest need of the hour. Additionally, we need as many numbers in midfield as possible. Ideally we should find a DM/Box-to-Box midfielder to be an upgrade / rotate with McT. Pogba has proven this year that we can't really count on him (injury or commitment issues) but if he is available, he will be a bonus.

A McT-Pogba-Bruno midfield looks really good on paper and hopefully gets us in the top 4 and/or wins us the EL.
Well the ‘commitment issues’ have been internet talk so I wouldn’t say ‘proven’ at all, but yes, he has been injured. He’s not particularly injury prone in general though, and his current injury has a clear return date. There’s no reason why we cannot rely on him until the summer at the earliest. I see Pogba as a Lingard replacement in the XI, simply because them playing together in the same midfield 3 is a terrible idea. Him playing with Bruno is only a marginally better idea because he’s a better footballer than Lingard. There will still be issues of imbalance. Yes we need depth, but we shouldn’t be buying cover for quality we already have while we still have areas of insufficient quality in the first XI I think.

And Fred is already a better midfielder than McTominay anyway in my opinion so that solves one problem, although even he still has question marks.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
While he has around 4 shots per game on average, I would rather have him hitting them from distance compared to Fred or Rashford.
Plays high-risk passing football, which is ok for his position when operating high up the pitch, but can cause some counter-attack against. Can hit long passes which is something we lack among our players and got a functional weaker foot.
His set-piece ability is the main reason as for why we should buy him and is something that should not depend on the league you play in. Not sure if he will get to as many shooting opportunities as he does in Liga Nos or EL, and he will not reach the same amount of goals or assist for us, but is a clear upgrade compared to Pereira, Mata and Lingard.
Would not compare him to Maddison in regards to their ability to handle the ball. Maddison got a softer touch and is much better when moving with the ball.

Don't think him, Rashford and PP would fit into the same team though given the number of shots they take and the number of times our team is actually able to get the ball into good shooting positions without pressure.

Would improve our team, especially on set pieces, but Pelligrini with a £25m release clause (Which Roma are desperate and currently working on removing) would be a better transfer and a better player for our overall play if you exclude set-piece situations. Should be noted that Pellegrini is a good set-piece (Corner and free kicks) as well.
I echo this, Pellegrini would be a much better signing for the team.

Fosu-Mens

Unbalanced as F. Two high risk players that lose the ball often with a player that is not that good at distributing. There would be a serious number of counter-attacks against us. If our fullbacks were actually good at passing the ball, this would not really be the biggest issue, but they are not.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hey mister, wake up. Nothing about our transfers are realistic.

What we expect or predict in transfers here will eventually ended up with muppets crying.

We can say buy player A or B, but out club will go and get player Z.
In my opinion, what went wrong last transfer window was a combination of a relatively small budget, Woodward's incompetence and Ole's obsession in only buying players he knew about. That translated in 3 players 2 of whom were ridiculously overpriced mainly caused they came from EPL clubs who don't need to sell.

This January we'll have Lukaku's money to spend. During the Summer we'll probably have the usual 60m-80m to spend + Smalling's, Pogba's, Lingard's and Rojo's fees which should push the budget to around 235m-240m. Not to forget that more deadwood will leave the club will leave which hopefully will give us more e-way in terms of player's coming in.

Now I don't know whose available, whose not and who already have a deal with someone else. However I don't think it's ridiculous to mention the likes of Meunier (a United fan whose on free next summer), Elvedi (also heading towards the end of the contract), Zakaria, Milik (heading towards the end of his contract in a Napoli that is in a mess) and Zaniolo (Roma are also in turmoil). The latter is the most difficult of signings but he's doable.

sugar_kane

Seems that the buzz around this transfer really stepped up after the news about us not going for Eriksen came out.

This makes me think firstly that Eriksen rejected us (which I'd kind of assumed anyway) but also that these links to Bruno might be legit.

That's all assuming that the Sky Sports News article about Eriksen had any grounding in reality, which of course is a fairly big leap in itself.

Chairman Steve

The longer this goes on, the more sceptical I become. I almost half expecting it to not go through and there being press releases saying we’re not interested, he wanted too much money or we’re going to give Lingard his 3rd final chance... or one of Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea buy him instead. That is how much faith I have in the people who run the club at this point.

Even if this transfer went through, we would look stupid considering we could have got him in the summer. Either the board can’t get stuff done, OGS fecked up thinking Lingard, Pereira and Mata could do something or both.

clarkydaz

Seems that the buzz around this transfer really stepped up after the news about us not going for Eriksen came out.

This makes me think firstly that Eriksen rejected us (which I'd kind of assumed anyway) but also that these links to Bruno might be legit.

That's all assuming that the Sky Sports News article about Eriksen had any grounding in reality, which of course is a fairly big leap in itself.
Eriksen would have been cheaper, maybe its that simple they had to bite the bullet and pay for a full price player.

Paul778

Very much doubt we bothered. He made it clear in the summer that he wasn't interested in coming here.

To be honest I'm glad. Tired of getting stung by players running down contracts. Any good player is already on more money than sense.

To want to run it down indicates a player more interested in their daily rate than what they can achieve on the field. If they were playing well and still highly motivated they would have been offered and accepted better terms numerous times during their existing five year deal.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Even if this transfer went through, we would look stupid considering we could have got him in the summer. Either the board can’t get stuff done, OGS fecked up thinking Lingard, Pereira and Mata could do something or both.
Or we didn't anticipate our #10 being out for 5 months and Sporting rejected a higher amount when Spurs bid for him in the summer.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Ronaldo, Nani, Ederson, Ricardo Perreria, Matic, Deco, Carvalho, Victor lindelof, Anderson, Raul Jiminez, David Luis, Bosingwa....

There's absolutely loads I think there's probably others ive forgot
I wouldn't include Nani, Anderson, Lindelof or even Ronaldo on that list - in terms of what we need Bruno to do, it's at a much higher immediate level than all those.

Deco also came via Barca, and Matic had to leave the league before his stint at Benfica.

That said, for Bruno to be performing at the level he is - at a club that's so strapped for cash and talent - is very impressive. I have zero concerns about us going for him, but understand the concerns of evaluating any player based solely on their performances in the Portuguese league. Similar with players that come over from the Netherlands.

RedIan

Just watched his 50 goals and assists video on YouTube (scoutnationHD) looks bloody awesome, cracking goals, shooting with both feet. Some on a par with City’s first in the week. very creative player too with some great through balls resulting in goals for his team. He looks just what we need, whether he can do it in the premier league is another matter but looks a good candidate..
go get him

Schweinsteiger

Anyone else get a bit sad when there hasn’t been a reply to this thread in more than 2 mins?

Status
Not open for further replies.