Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCJY

I'm sure we'd make it work.

If we do sign them both this window (which is unlikely if we're being honest) then we can safely remove Periera from the equation as he will most likely be frozen out and/or sold. The same applies to Matic and Lingard I'd imagine.
Pereira played at least two fantastic balls across the 6-year box against Norwich, one of which the open goal was missed by Williams. Point being, I believe Pereira still has something to offer. Due to our problems in the middle of the park, our attackers have to pull back constantly, and the box is mostly empty when a cross comes in. Pereira really isn't our main problem, he doesn't quite suit our current system, but sign Bruno and get rid of Lingard, or even just get rid of Lingard altogether, and we're looking a lot better. So I hope we hang onto Pereira for another season at least.

Pereira is like Shaw, constantly scapegoated. Yeah, they're not the best, but no way should they be moved on right now. Maybe they shouldn't be starters, but as squad players, they are decent.

Cantonagotmehere

Pereira played at least two fantastic balls across the 6-year box against Norwich, one of which the open goal was missed by Williams. Point being, I believe Pereira still has something to offer. Due to our problems in the middle of the park, our attackers have to pull back constantly, and the box is mostly empty when a cross comes in. Pereira really isn't our main problem, he doesn't quite suit our current system, but sign Bruno and get rid of Lingard, or even just get rid of Lingard altogether, and we're looking a lot better. So I hope we hang onto Pereira for another season at least.

Pereira is like Shaw, constantly scapegoated. Yeah, they're not the best, but no way should they be moved on right now. Maybe they shouldn't be starters, but as squad players, they are decent.
Agree on Pereira, he is a very useful squad player, and I like his passion. Shaw on the other hand is flat out lazy and shows no sense of urgency, it's sad, I as once a huge fan.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pereira played at least two fantastic balls across the 6-year box against Norwich, one of which the open goal was missed by Williams. Point being, I believe Pereira still has something to offer. Due to our problems in the middle of the park, our attackers have to pull back constantly, and the box is mostly empty when a cross comes in. Pereira isn't our main problem, he doesn't quite suit our current system, but sign Bruno and get rid of Lingard, or even just get rid of Lingard altogether, and we're looking a lot better. So I hope we hang onto Pereira for another season at least.

Periera is a hard worker and he is capable of providing a decent cross on occasion, but those occasions are few and far between. How many assists does he have this season, 2-3? That's a poor return for any self-respecting number 10. I think Lingard has even worse stats.

They both need to go eventually.

SCJY

Agree on Pereira, he is a very useful squad player, and I like his passion. Shaw on the other hand is flat out lazy and shows no sense of urgency, it's sad, I as once a huge fan.
You're right, it is sad about Shaw. I was a huge fan too, but he hasn't been the same since he came back from the broken leg. Williams' instant impact just highlights how poor Shaw has been.

RedNed77

Is anybody concerned that nobody else is seemingly interested in a player with his stats and apparent attitude who is openly available?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ah to be young again. Now we have old farts complaining about these happy go lucky guys when half of them indulged in some hardcore muppetry 5-10 years back if you go through their history of posts...

I wish I still had that time, excitement, naivety and wonder.
Berry, berry shrew.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Periera is a hard worker and he is capable of providing a decent cross on occasion, but those occasions are few and far between. How many assists does he have this season, 2-3? That's a poor return for any self-respecting number 10. I think Lingard has even worse stats.

Lingard was once a decent finisher with good movement, decent passing, decent dribbling and good work rate. Even if he was on form now his skills aren't needed as I think we're covered with Rashford and Martial. He was too similar anyway and just so happen to be 27 and suck, but Pereira is born in 1996 and offers something completely different to our attackers. Has the ability to cross and is versatile too. 3 assist isn't bad right now for someone who we'll keep around as a squad option and see if he develop further. He'll take Mata's spot. Certainly makes a lot more sense than keeping Lingard.

theklr

Is anybody concerned that nobody else is seemingly interested in a player with his stats and apparent attitude who is openly available?
Quite many if you would have read this thread. It is a gamble to be sure.

Rafaeldagold

Yet some wouldn’t do it and hold out for Grealish or Maddison. Incredible.
I think it’s worth buying Bruno , as let’s face it he has to be better then what we have & I hope he can be great for us. He’s clearly talented so I hope that form translates in England.

But it’s not outlandish to prefer Maddison instead for example, as we know he suits the Prem & looks a classy player whenever I’ve seen him play.

Infestissumam

Leicester made us pay a ransom for Maguire and they'll probably be in the CL next season. I highly doubt there's a deal for Maddison to be made.

Bruno now and Grealish in the summer would be great though. Still need a quality DM then, but it'd be a massive step in the right direction.

SAFMUTD

Yes, I think we're missing something. He seems to good to be true, even comming from a lesser league I mean Joao Felix with below stats went for 125M, I know he's a youngster but Bruno is 25 and has mantained great numbers in the last 3 seasons winning player of the year award in the last two.

How the feck is nobody else interested in him? what are they seeing that we dont? :confused:

croadyman

Very quiet day on this saga,maybe now that the Gedson Fernandes transfer to Spurs is sorted we can get Mendes on the case brokering this deal and get things moving again.

Certainly feels like Sporting are winning the battle to keep him for the Benfica game on Friday. I can definitely seeing this dragging on to next week and just hope they don't say we need him for the Braga cup game too.

Shame really because if we had proper football people negotiating the deal not ditherers like Judge it would have been done quick like Fabinho to Liverpool.

Last edited:

tenpoless

Ah to be young again. Now we have old farts complaining about these happy go lucky guys when half of them indulged in some hardcore muppetry 5-10 years back if you go through their history of posts...

I wish I still had that time, excitement, naivety and wonder.
You are underestimating the power of muppetry. People can choose not to be involved (or pretend to 'forget' or 'losing erection excitement') but muppetry is all around us. Muppetry is what keep us glued to the ground, muppetry teaches us how to avoid dying in outer space, muppetry holds the secret of the universe. Muppetry bends time and space. E = mc² where m = the number of muppets. The more muppets that exist, the stronger the energy to help Ed Woodward.

Robaldo

The reports have been pretty solidly-sourced lately but I'm still sceptical about this one; I read somewhere that Sporting or his agent had contacted us first, which when added to the fact that most of the reports have emanated in Portugal seems like it's his agent or the club trying to move him on for big money.

People point out that he's a big upgrade on our attacking midfielders which I agree is probably true - although I've only seen highlight reels - but it's not like United are a club that have traditionally played with a #10 - or even recently really.

I wouldn't call it a panic buy if it does happen, but I'm not really sure where he fits in any supposed plan for the team in the next two or three years. That's not me saying that we don't need creativity - we really fecking do - and I'm not saying that we wouldn't have a use for the guy, but it just seems odd for United to apparently be chasing after a guy who the club have obviously allayed concern about after the Summer window (gives possession away bla bla).

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Wouldn't be surprised if we've lined this one up, and are looking around to see if any better options are available before pulling the trigger.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we did something similar in the summer.

That's how poorly run I think we are.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Looking at the recent history, I'm not surprised that Ed would go on haggle for few weeks. With window transfer window ticking down, eventually failed to land Bruno. Then inexplicable sign Maddison in the summer for ridiculous figure like £90m and £250kpw.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Woodward is playing fans like a fiddle. Feigning interest only to pull out because Sporting "negotiated in bad faith" or "agent was a scumbag" or some other imaginary excuse, and we won't sign him in the end.
There's reason to believe it has already begun.

Ducker released an article yesterday saying that the reason we never bid last summer was because we were "put off by Sportings high valuation of £75m+/€88m+", which is in direct conflict to their President's comments a few months ago, who said that Spurs were the only team to make a serious offer of £58m/€65m, which he had to reject in the end because of crazy add-ons (€20m in CL+PL wins).

This makes zero sense. So their President wanted ~£20m more from us than Spurs apparently...

Ducker also said Sporting now initially wanted £68.5m/€80m too, which we're trying to bring down to £50m/€58m.

So we're now trying to get them to accept less in the January window than they rejected Spurs in the summer...

If this deal isn't concluded in the next few days, I think it's more likely he's not coming.

Last edited:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
christ, the Daily Mail have got even worse, they are getting awful for copy pasting reports. All their stuff is "according to..." lately.

redshaw

There's reason to believe it has already begun.

Ducker released an article yesterday saying that the reason we never bid last summer was because we were "put off by Sportings high valuation of £75m+/€88m+", which is in direct conflict to their President's comments a few months ago, who said that Spurs were the only team to make a serious offer of £58m/€65m, which he had to reject in the end because of crazy add-ons (€20m in CL+PL wins).

This makes zero sense. So their President wanted ~£20m more from us than Spurs apparently...

Ducker also said Sporting now initially wanted £68.5m/€80m too, which we're trying to bring down to £50m/€58m.

So we're now trying to get them to accept less in the January window than they rejected Spurs in the summer...

If this deal isn't concluded in the next few days, I think it's more likely he's not coming.
If you want to believe this stuff then we were quoted ~90 million for Morata and Chelsea got him for 60. Maybe we could've got him for 75-80 but it's a different price for Money Bags United sometimes.

Also Bruno signed a new deal with Sporting CP after the summer to increases his wages so they may think they have slightly more bargaining power even though they want to sell, Bruno is on a bit more money but ultimately they will ask for as much as they can get from United.

Theo88

Does he play same position as Van Beek or can we get them both
Van de beek is somewhat more diverse I believe. Bruno is more of your number 10. De beek could potentially play next to pogba; he's a more offensive minder guy than Herrera but can be deployed at the same space.

Still could be wrong on this but I think they can play together. If pogba is also in the first eleven you probably need a destroyer DM because things can get ugly.

zenith

Yeah, it did bother me a little that none of the big teams have shown any interest in him, despite his stellar performance in Portugal.

Number32

1 goal 3 assists in the league, still a better stats than Jordan Henderson 1 goal 2 assists, playing less games and less starts.

Even his goal/assist stats are still better than Fred. Not a bad breakthrough season for him. Don't forget he is also a back up CM not always starting as no.10.

I think Fernandes would be better, but losing Pereira and keeping Lingard would be a nightmare when we are in injury crisis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.