Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

Well well well, aren't you the history buff. fine
I googled it just yesterday when this topic came up in an entirely different context elsewhere. So I'm basically that typical annoying student who had a couple of Russian lessons and now considers himself the definitive expert on all things east of the Elbe.

Last edited:

NoLogo

Well good that we didn't let them take us to the cleaners with this deal. I remain skeptical of this purchase though, not necessarily because I don't rate the player but because I think he excels in a role which doesn't seem to have much success in the PL in recent years. There was also a good video on him, and they highlighted that he was good at making the game wide, playing passes to wide runners and that is something we really don't have too many of, James actually being the only one that come to mind and Shaw on a good day. What we needed was someone who can build from the back with some fast and precise passing other than Maguire and hopefully even better than Maguire and he ain't that.

But I don't want to be too negative about this transfer and hope he will at least make sure we don't have to play the likes of Lingard and Andres anymore.

EireRed_GS

I said it would be done and it is. Now for a striker before Friday's deadline.

Im glad its done, but dont feel all that buzzing about it. It was dragged out so long and became so frustrating, all the fun and excitement was sucked right out of it. And on top of that knowing its probably wont be enough.

I hope your right about a striker, maybe with a loan deal... but i think thats them done now until they sell pogba

Footballmad2006

We still badly need to get a striker in this window if we are to get 4th. An injury to Martial and we are in trouble.

Raw

Just saw some news about him getting £70k per week wages, plus bonuses. That's so low! Hopefully this is a sign of us rectifying our inflated wage structure.

DanClancy

If those numbers are true, then Woodward deserves credit for holding his nerve despite the brinksmanship from Lisbon and insane pressure from the fanbase.
He's paid nearly every player we've signed too much since he took over, he's a long way to go before he gets any credit. He's been in the job 7 years and its been a complete disaster.

Bestietom

Im glad its done, but dont feel all that buzzing about it. It was dragged out so long and became so frustrating, all the fun and excitement was sucked right out of it. And on top of that knowing its probably wont be enough.

I hope your right about a striker, maybe with a loan deal... but i think thats them done now until they sell pogba
I still have hope for us bringing in a striker on loan. Someone with aerial power as well as strength to hold the ball up.

roseguy64

Despite differing opinions on the quality of our starting 11, in my opinion, the number 10 spot was the last huge, huge hole to fill. Pereira and Lingard are both nowhere near good enough to be starting there and Mata's not got the legs to be playing week in week out anymore. I don't make predictions like this usually but I think he'll take us up a level, that's how important it was to sign a number 10, he provides so much of what we've been lacking in that role all season. He may take some time to adapt like Fred so I hope we show some patience allowing him to bed in.

Sancho, a quality DM and a back up ST are now the priorities on my summer wish list, fingers crossed.
Agreed, with the positions but not necessarily the type of players. A CM with defensive qualities would be better. Also someone who can play across the front line to challenge Martial as well as be a rotation option for the wings.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He's paid nearly every player we've signed too much since he took over, he's a long way to go before he gets any credit. He's been in the job 7 years and its been a complete disaster.
Just because he's got many many previous decision wrong, doesn't mean it can't be recognised when he gets it right.

Relfy

Thank feck this is now done! Only took us 6 months in the end :lol:

Anyway let's hope he comes in and does a good job and continues his scoring and assisting for us. Pogba and Bruno feeding balls for Rashford, Martial and Greenwood will see us scoring far more and actually beating the low block with some real creative players there, plus a danger from long range and set-pieces too :drool:

To those of you monitoring the flights to Manchester I applaud your muppetry

Mainoldo

Not really. Definitely has the work rate, but not sure about actual defensive ability. We'll need to upgrade the holding DM position.
Fred’s very good at disposing opponents I agree he’s not an amazing defensive midfielder but that’s not what I said.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think to expect him to replicate the figures he was posting in Portugal would be mad, but very excited to see him play for us nonetheless.

He'll take some time to adapt, and he'll need broad shoulders at times, but he seems to be confident, loyal and at the perfect time in his career to kick on at a club our size.

Very good price, all things considered.

Raw

Our midfield will be tasty when everyone is back.
Bruno, Pogba, McTominay, Fred, Matic and Pereira rotating for 2/3 positions should do nicely for the rest of the season.

Then in the summer we can look towards finding a midfielder to replace Matic/Pereira. Hopefully if Pogba stays we'll have less work to do and we can focus on that elusive RW spot.

EireRed_GS

Will be some craic if we're all badly mistaken & he lands today in London and signs up with Jose :nervous: :wenger: please god let this joke be way off

Redbandito

There are so many games, and with injuries and suspensions, it really doesn't matter.

But when all are fit, and game requires strongest XI, I think McT deserves the slot above Fred, notwithstanding his dramatic recent improvements.
Totally disagree. Fred has played at a higher level consistently over the last couple months than McTom has at any point in his short United career. Fred is a better passer and is more natural on the ball. He also gives us more quickness defensively. I like McTominay a lot for the squad and would have no qualms playing him in a game, but he’s behind Fred right now, fit or not.

Raven

Haven't seen him play any full games unfortunately. Coming from a weaker league, there will always be question marks. I'm personally delighted wijth this signing though, offers a few things that we don't currently have such as set piece delivery and threat from distance. Nani also did an interview recently where he said that he advised Bruno to go to Utd (possibly just the PL?) because he felt he would suit it perfectly, I really like Nani, I hope he's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.