Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Cause maybe he doesn't get the support from the board? Look at how the Fernades transfer is going at the moment. It's Ole dealing with Sporting right? It's Ole penny pinching for as low price as possible, Right?
Jeezus. When Ole gets sacked the same things will keep on happening no matter who the manager is.
Considering the previous managers all got 150 spent in each summer which is equal to what Ole had spent in the last summer, I will say he got pretty well supported in that regard. The guy said himself recently his priorities in the summer were on the defense and he got what he wanted : the most expensive defender in the world and a 50m right back, both were obviously first choices. Not sure what more was expected. If you think the previous manager was well supported and didn't deserve any more money due to failing after 350m, when he had bought 3 players in each summer for 150m (plus a free player in Zlatan), then you can't say Ole wasn't backed when he also bought 3 players for 150m.

So better to ask if these 150m spent actually improved the team. Had spending 80m on Maguire to replace Smalling made us better or not for example.

gr3yham3

Finishing 2nd was only a setup for failure. The Glazers probably thought if Jose can do that why do we need to spend. They don’t care if we finish 2nd or 3rd or 4th as long as the money keeps rolling in.
That's why we have dumb owners and board - teams all around us were strengthening and they chose to let things stand still and expect us to be the same. Not going to work in the EPL.

The squad became in far worse shape with less options and worse quality after a full summer of Ole and 150m spent. His 3 signings bar AWB have been average to awful as well. If you think the previous managers didn't deserve more money then Ole doesn't deserve either. He got a very good squad that finished 2nd the previous season and gave him the job via the great honeymoon period and totally fecked it up in one year. If you are blaming Woodward for the summer business then he should be blamed for the previous markets too. You can't even give credit to Ole for the incomings because, again bar AWB, they haven't improved the team by 1 inch. So according to your own logic, Ole shouldn't get a cent till he's sacked in summer to avoid more terrible transfers and fecking up with the team.
But when you take in net spend, we are nowhere spending enough to correct a rebuild of the size that is required. With our finances, we technically should be able to spend 200m net per summer, and we are nowhere near that. The owners seem to be living in the dream that we are still operating in the transfer market prices of 10 years ago. Even the Jose transfer windows required him to clear deadwood and wages before he could get more players in. It is a cumulative issue that has been building up since SAF retired, and the next manager will have an even bigger problem to deal with if the board continues to act the way they do in the transfer market.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why is Jose interested in the Bruno deal? He must have better things to do. It will be a bit more embarrassing than the Haland collapse for United though if Bruno goes to Spurs instead.
Nah our club knows how to feed our gullible support base with excuses and they had now hired a PR man (the only signing in January btw) to help them be more effective on it. Therefore it would be a choice between the mean club asking too much, the mean agent asking for clauses and high fees or the mean player being too greedy.

el3mel

That's why we have dumb owners and board - teams all around us were strengthening and they chose to let things stand still and expect us to be the same. Not going to work in the EPL.

But when you take in net spend, we are nowhere spending enough to correct a rebuild of the size that is required. With our finances, we technically should be able to spend 200m net per summer, and we are nowhere near that. The owners seem to be living in the dream that we are still operating in the transfer market prices of 10 years ago. Even the Jose transfer windows required him to clear deadwood and wages before he could get more players in. It is a cumulative issue that has been building up since SAF retired, and the next manager will have an even bigger problem to deal with if the board continues to act the way they do in the transfer market.
The net spend went down because we sold Lukaku in the last 2 days of the market though. We had spent our 150m before that, so we weren't waiting for the money to spend and honestly can't believe Ole didn't agree on such a transfer considering it was done in the last 2 days as I said after we had already failed in finding a replacement. This is different from Mourinho's last summer when we firmly decided we weren't not spending money on Maguire or any other defender. In the previous window Ole was backed, as much as LvG and Mourinho in their first 2 seasons each, and got all his top targets bar one (Longstaff).

Now I'm not saying Ed has been doing a great job or anything, but what I'm saying is he treated Ole as well as LvG and Mourinho, gave him the same money and the same freedom he gave both at first. Ole hasn't been treated any differently from both, and tbh, 150m could have had us at a far better place if we had organized the window much better. The problem is we went mass selling and fecked up the midfield and attack and just decided to prioritize the defense over them. Ole should have read it better. He should have thought with Herrera, Fellini and Lukaku leaving he should have prioritize a midfielder and an attacker over Maguire. I know many fans didn't think like that and I won't say I was any different but I expect my manager to read the team needs better than us.

The worst thing is unfortunately his signings haven't improved the team that much bar AWB. Maguire has been average and not a much of a big upgrade over Smalling to say he was worth 80m and James is becoming worse the more the season goes on.

We have big issues in the club and Ed is terrible negotiator and CEO but Ole is also to be blamed for the last market, as much as Woodward imo.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Cause maybe he doesn't get the support from the board? Look at how the Fernades transfer is going at the moment. It's Ole dealing with Sporting right? It's Ole penny pinching for as low price as possible, Right?
Jeezus. When Ole gets sacked the same things will keep on happening no matter who the manager is.
This.

Last edited:

zenith

How long before the match going fans actually direct their anger towards Woodward and the board rather the team.

Surely this drag of an approach has lasted long enough

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Anybody but Lingard, you don't bring Jesse to the game if you wanna score, I mean I don't even know why you'd play him at all. Some goalkeepers have more assists than him this season.
These were our subs:
  • 3 Bailly
  • 14 Lingard (s 69')
  • 20 Dalot
  • 22 Romero
  • 23 Shaw (s 69')
  • 26 Greenwood (s 46')
  • 28 Gomes
Who else? Angel? I bet we were promised a striker as a Lukaku replacement but Woodward failed to deliver and so we are where we are at.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
These were our subs:
  • 3 Bailly
  • 14 Lingard (s 69')
  • 20 Dalot
  • 22 Romero
  • 23 Shaw (s 69')
  • 26 Greenwood (s 46')
  • 28 Gomes
Who else? Angel? I bet we were promised a striker as a Lukaku replacement but Woodward failed to deliver and so we are where we are at.
Anybody but Lingard, I'd play Dalot on the RW and move Greenwood up top. I'd play Gomes ahead of him even. ffs Jesse Lingard is a blackhole of football, there is feck all to gain and everything to lose by playing him. How many times has it got to happen for some of you to realize it ?

Jinn

Considering the previous managers all got 150 spent in each summer which is equal to what Ole had spent in the last summer, I will say he got pretty well supported in that regard. The guy said himself recently his priorities in the summer were on the defense and he got what he wanted : the most expensive defender in the world and a 50m right back, both were obviously first choices. Not sure what more was expected. If you think the previous manager was well supported and didn't deserve any more money due to failing after 350m, when he had bought 3 players in each summer for 150m (plus a free player in Zlatan), then you can't say Ole wasn't backed when he also bought 3 players for 150m.

So better to ask if these 150m spent actually improved the team. Had spending 80m on Maguire to replace Smalling made us better or not for example.
Difference here is the amount of key outgoing players. We did not replace them, we reduced the squad to skin and bones and we are suffering for it now. You may ague that Ole allowed those players to leave, but it has been well documented that the likes of Lukaku wanted to leave. Sanchez has been a no show from the time he entered the doors.
Ole had a choice, which is ludicrous given the stature of the club, fix something, defense, midfield or attack. Why should any manager have a choice at this club? He should be able to fix the squad! Ole chose defense...gamble yes.
No manager will refuse to replace players in their squad, nobody can convince me that the manager didn't want replacements.
The problem here is the people in charge of transfers/purse strings, not the manager (whoever that may be in the future).

You can argue about the managers ability, but player transfers is not something that's all in his control. He's not SAF, he doesn't have full control...nobody will ever again.

gr3yham3

Difference here is the amount of key outgoing players. We did not replace them, we reduced the squad to skin and bones and we are suffering for it now. You may ague that Ole allowed those players to leave, but it has been well documented that the likes of Lukaku wanted to leave. Sanchez has been a no show from the time he entered the doors.
Ole had a choice, which is ludicrous given the stature of the club, fix something, defense, midfield or attack. Why should any manager have a choice at this club? He should be able to fix the squad! Ole chose defense...gamble yes.
No manager will refuse to replace players in their squad, nobody can convince me that the manager didn't want replacements.
The problem here is the people in charge of transfers/purse strings, not the manager (whoever that may be in the future).

You can argue about the managers ability, but player transfers is not something that's all in his control. He's not SAF, he doesn't have full control...nobody will ever again.
This. As you said, Lukaku and co were already known to be leaving, and I am sure Ole wanted to get replacements in. This also means that it does not matter who the manager is if we do not change anything to the structure above him.

vanderpants

There is no way this is happening now, can you really see that smug bastard Woodward running to Sporting with the cash they want ?

theklr

Still feeling confident?
No , not at all, as I said.

I stand corrected by those who said we should just pay whatever Sporting want and get him last week.
If we still after yesterday are trying to be "smart" and not overpay for him, it will just add to the argument that our board and Ed doesnt understand basic football principles.

Yesterdays performance shows that even if Bruno didnt even have time to train with us, we would have won win him on the pitch.
He looks like a player with an attitude that would whip these underperforming "kids" into action, even if that was his only contribution (apart from doing basic things better than Pereira/Lingard, but thats just a given).
For me he is more of a captain material than Maguire ever was. Just look at Maguire in the tunnel before the game, kidding and laughing with the opposition as he was in a schoolyard. No focus at all.

If Maddison, Sancho, Graelish sees that we arent improving the squad when having such a horrible display, they will see that there is zero backing from the owners and they are better off where they are.
Maddison and Graelish doesnt care too much about CL since they are not used to playing there, but they will see that going into a team like this will just make their career even worse.
Just look at Maguire.

I appreciate Solskjærs weak attempt to put some pressure on them to get the signings done, but he has to be much more vocal about it. All the big clubs overpay when they need to.
If the owners is just carrying on after just one window where they backed him, the "project" they all have been talking about is just an illusion. And it makes Solskjær look like just the mouthpiece for them just like they say he is.
For the sake of the club he needs to use his power with the fans and ex-players and demand that they buy at least 2 players now, or threaten to walk away. Woodward and the board would look seriously ashamed if after all that talk they didnt deliver.
Solskjær knows that he isnt as good manager as Pochettino and Allegri, and if he cant use whatever clout he has and this form continues, his rebuild project and the status of the club which he loves, is in serious jeopardy.

Last edited:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Rest assured, that after yesterday's debacle, Sporting will now up the ante and it's pay up or p*ss off from them.
I also can't understand how Bruno would still want to come here after yesterday's disgraceful showing.

ROFLUTION

Jesus.. We're just postponing doing stuff here. Sign Poch and Bruno now and overpay a little. Overpaying a little is a small price for fixing this shit-show, and they would do good with half a season to settle in.

theklr

Rest assured, that after yesterday's debacle, Sporting will now up the ante and it's pay up or p*ss off from them.
I also can't understand how Bruno would still want to come here after yesterday's disgraceful showing.
He knows what players we have injured, he knows what kind of managers we can still attract, he knows that he will go straight into the starting line-up.

He knows how much more money he will earn, he knows how big this club this still is, he knows he want to try it in a top league.

There is still plenty of reasons.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm hoping we buy a few players before next Friday.
I'm expecting us to buy no one and Ole to be sacked shortly afterwards.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm hoping we buy a few players before next Friday.
I'm expecting us to buy no one and Ole to be sacked shortly afterwards.
I am starting to worry they're going to do this, which is completely abject from Woodward and co.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He knows what players we have injured, he knows what kind of managers we can still attract, he knows that he will go straight into the starting line-up.

He knows how much more money he will earn, he knows how big this club this still is, he knows he want to try it in a top league.

There is still plenty of reasons.
He knows we are a mid-table club, he knows that the Glazers don't want to buy players, he knows the club is not that big as we think.
But i agree with you that he knows how much more money he will earn.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole finally admitted the squad was stretched and struggling in the press conference last night.

If he really wants to stay at the club he needs to put himself first and demand he gets a new player this window. Whether it's Fernandes or somebody similar, we desperately need a new face to lift the mood.

Just like a new manager bounce, a new signing could do that. Fernandes is the ideal person to come into the team IMO, but whether Woodward will pull his finger out we shall see.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Well he’d get a shed load more money for one.
It’s up to us to convince him that that Utd is somewhere that will suit him.

We’re not in a healthy state of old where we can integrate youth into an already high functioning squad. We have poor players right through the spine and mediocre back up plus injured players.

SteveW

Ole finally admitted the squad was stretched and struggling in the press conference last night.

If he really wants to stay at the club he needs to put himself first and demand he gets a new player this window. Whether it's Fernandes or somebody similar, we desperately need a new face to lift the mood.

Just like a new manager bounce, a new signing could do that. Fernandes is the ideal person to come into the team IMO, but whether Woodward will pull his finger out we shall see.
Everyone already knows we need players. The board are well aware also. They've tried Haaland, Fernandes and Bellingham.

Announcing to the world that we are in desperate need of players will not help the negotiating position so he doesn't do it.

El Zoido

It’s too late. Bruno or nothing. This club cannot close a deal in a week.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Everyone already knows we need players. The board are well aware also. They've tried Haaland, Fernandes and Bellingham.

Announcing to the world that we are in desperate need of players will not help the negotiating position so he doesn't do it.
Well we've already been negotiating so I doubt it really makes much difference. They've set their price and we refused to meet it.

We either try to call their bluff and wait until the last minute to save a few quid, or just get it done and get him into the squad and try to help turn this shitehole around. We've thrown money around like there's no tomorrow and now we decide to penny pinch :rolleyes:

Snafu17

That's more of a dig at Sky if anything. Which is fair enough, they basically sent a bloke to Lisbon so that he could read a bunch of newspapers.

Last edited:

theklr

He knows we are a mid-table club, he knows that the Glazers don't want to buy players, he knows the club is not that big as we think.
But i agree with you that he knows how much more money he will earn.
It is still a hundred times better than Sporting in all regards. You can say that he could wait until the summer and try to get some other club, but the way Sporting is going his numbers will inevitably be worse.

I guess his only hope in this regard is maybe Spurs, but with the way Levy operates and that they are already bought a midfielder it is very unsure.

In the summer his only option aside from that will be a mid-table english club which cant pay him or Sporting even close to what we can.

Alemar

Why doesn’t Bruno himself start pressing Sporting into selling him? He could Push for the transfer to help us

Sylar

The funny thing is we are in more of a desperate state, and as a buyer, we are in no position to be haggling over price.

This should have been a case of identifying him before the window opened, then agreeing the price to get him in on the first day (and paying what was required) unless we had other targets available where we could step away and just go for the alternative.

We dont, Lisbon know that and everybody else knows that. Top4 is on the line, and despite having only won 9 games all season, we are only 6 away from that spot ((had we got him in for Jan, who knows we could possibly have won yesterday, or drawn vs Liverpool, or not lost to Arsenal).

DamoK

They are not going to sign anyone in this window and hang Ole out to dry by sacking him after the window and taking the pressure off themselves. After hearing Oles interview last night it didn't fill me with optimism that we'd be signing anyone. He looks defeated, He should make the decision to resign and out the owners and board for the scumbags they are and become and even bigger hero or he can keep backing them and they'll hang him out to dry when the time comes. They are not supporting him so I don't know why he keeps defending them.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maybe he thinks better offers will arrive in the summer.
Or he is a decent man who refuse to be a cnut just to help a rich club to make more money. What sporting us asking is quite reasonable

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The funny thing is we are in more of a desperate state, and as a buyer, we are in no position to be haggling over price.

This should have been a case of identifying him before the window opened, then agreeing the price to get him in on the first day (and paying what was required) unless we had other targets available where we could step away and just go for the alternative.

We dont, Lisbon know that and everybody else knows that. Top4 is on the line, and despite having only won 9 games all season, we are only 6 away from that spot ((had we got him in for Jan, who knows we could possibly have won yesterday, or drawn vs Liverpool, or not lost to Arsenal).
Everything you have said is right. The gaps in our squad have been present before the season started. It should have been the case that we negotiated deals to fill those gaps before the window opened. Come 1 January the only thing that should have been necessary is the transferring of the players' registration, everything else should be done. Why that didn't happen God only knows.

I can see us finishing January without signing anyone. I just think we are serious about getting deals done. The way Liverpool did Minamino is how you go about it if you really want to strengthen.

Dan600

I don’t see this happening, think we are stuck not spending for now until something happens with the ownership.

I have no idea if he’s good enough, but the more I think, the more I reckon we need him. His drive, passion, demanding better, it’s what is lacking in our squad. It’s just a matter of whether he has the quality, and whether he settles quickly here.

Status
Not open for further replies.