Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red00012

Sporting are desperate for funds, hence the need to cash in.

Why other clubs havent felt the need to take advantage is a fair concern.
Haaland has been banging in goals for fun yet we were lead to believe there were only 2 German clubs, an English club and an Italian club interested.

Truth is we haven’t a clue what’s going on behind the scenes.

Red_Orchestra

I hope this doesn't drag on until the end of the January window and onto the next summer window, just end it already.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I really don’t like that UtdReport account. Little twisted/exaggerated out of context snippets purely for RT’s. Account is genuinely ran by some kid.

MileStolar

Yeah Nou_Camp is way off.

Woody signs off on the money only, Judge negotiates. And Woody's not our DoF at all. Before Ole the manager's job at Manchester United was First Team Coach and DoF all rolled into one.

There was a change at some point in Summer 2018 though and we now have a transfer committee (hence Mou losing his shit). That's made up of:

[1] Head Coach, [2] Assistant Manager, [3] Technical Chief Scout (currently Mick Court), [4] Head of Global Scouting (currently Marcel Bout) and [5] Chief Scout (currently Jim Lawlor).

Each man has a vote, each man has a veto. The idea here is that the transfer strategy will not flip flap from manager to manager but at the same time, the managers veto ensures he'll never have a player forced on him.
So we have a CoF (committee of football). That sounds quite democratic (actually more like a plenum). Wonder how Woody and Judge affect our CoF in their decisions.

Regarding Bruno, our midfield is screaming for creativity and goals from deep so he's a no brainer at this point.
Only potential downside is that he might need some time to get used to our team and PL, a bit like Fred, and we kind of need his contribution now.

Last edited:

Bondi77

A quick highlights package and as I thought there is no intensity in these games and the quality I think leaves a lot to be desired.
Was this the team that Bebe played for for a while and hit double figures.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Woody signs off on the money only, Judge negotiates. And Woody's not our DoF at all. Before Ole the manager's job at Manchester United was First Team Coach and DoF all rolled into one.

There was a change at some point in Summer 2018 though and we now have a transfer committee (hence Mou losing his shit). That's made up of:

[1] Head Coach, [2] Assistant Manager, [3] Technical Chief Scout (currently Mick Court), [4] Head of Global Scouting (currently Marcel Bout) and [5] Chief Scout (currently Jim Lawlor).

Each man has a vote, each man has a veto. The idea here is that the transfer strategy will not flip flap from manager to manager but at the same time, the managers veto ensures he'll never have a player forced on him.
This info about people having the power of veto was briefed in 2019 if i'm not mistaken. We also briefed that a technical director would be in place before the start of the season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

A quick highlights package and as I thought there is no intensity in these games and the quality I think leaves a lot to be desired.
This is why you should watch his international game and the europa league game not Portuguese league.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Setubal players had the flu all week (only 1 or 2 from the starting 11 were healthy) even leading to loads of controversy since they asked the game to be postponed. We completely switched off after the 2-0 since we have the derby next week.

It's not usually like this but of course it doesn't come close to the intensity of a Premier League game. In any way, that can be a problem for other players making the jump but it won't be a problem for him, he usually plays better in more intense and chaotic games.

Bondi77

Setubal players had the flu all week (only 1 or 2 from the starting 11 were healthy) even leading to loads of controversy since they asked the game to be postponed. We completely switched off after the 2-0 since we have the derby next week.

It's not usually like this but of course it doesn't come close to the intensity of a Premier League game. In any way, that can be a problem for other players making the jump but it won't be a problem for him, he usually plays better in more intense and chaotic games.
Thank you for that as I was not aware.
I watched him in the Euros and he does look like a quality player and I find the little hop before the penalty a bit of a worry as it was a shocker but the GK was so bad he could not stop it.

SCJY

Interesting set-up if true. First I've heard of such a set up within or United or any other club for that matter, but it seems like there are far too many fingers in the pie too. I don't agree with every member of the committee having a veto though. That seems ridiculous to me and a serious dilution of the head coaches influence.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Interesting set-up if true. First I've heard of such a set up within or United or any other club for that matter, but it seems like there are far too many fingers in the pie too. I don't agree with every member of the committee having a veto though. That seems ridiculous to me and a serious dilution of the head coaches influence.
That's if you're dealing with a bunch of power hungry clowns all looking to demonstrate how good they are and one up the other. If we are all on the same page, these roles are do independent that they should all be making decisions in the interest of United.

oreon

The spurs links were completely made up, they don't need Fernandes and they can't afford him either.
Looks like it. But this Fernandes saga is looking a bit like the De Ligt transfer. There was a flurry of transfer news that he was close to UTD, then it kinda died down.
It's the same now, all the reports from Friday have stopped and if a transfer was really close why did Bruno play this weekend. I don't think a transfer is close as being suggested. And we know that Woodward specializes in transfers breaking down. We should know more Monday, if there's a lack of momentum in the reports coming out then i'd err in the side that this deal isn't likely to happen.
Normally when a transfer is actually going through, the news trickles out when it's near the completion.

croadyman

I get the impression that this is like the Maguire situation last summer. He will remain committed to Sporting until anything is agreed. I was really hopeful when Stone confirmed interest last night but hoped for more news today.

Maybe @Peyroteo or @SportingCP96 could confirm for us whether TVI24 are reliable or not. My gut feeling is that they have jumped the gun on this a bit.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I get the impression that this is like the Maguire situation last summer. He will remain committed to Sporting until anything is agreed. I was really hopeful when Stone confirmed interest last night but hoped for more news today.

Maybe @Peyroteo or @SportingCP96 could confirm for us whether TVI24 are reliable or not. My gut feeling is that they have jumped the gun on this a bit.
I remember that SportingCP96 guy mentioned that Bruno actually wanted to leave last summer, he even though that he's gone in the summer, if that's the case then nothing will change his desire to leave this January if we can come into agreement with the fees.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
50 to 60 million and I'd be alright with him going as he clearly deserves to be playing at a higher level instead of regularly having to save this shitshow of a team.

Still don't think he'll solve all the midfield problems you have at all and that even though he'll be a big upgrade on the likes of Lingard or Pereira you guys need a different profile of midfielder that has a different style. He'll be another offensive player that loves playing in transition and in my opinion you guys have enough of those already.

He'll do well and the fans will love how hard he works for the team but I think how well this works depends on what other players United sign to complement him in midfield.

As for us, we don't have much to play for as we're not winning the Europa League even if he stays so might aswell get used to playing without him for 6 months before the next season starts rather than having it affect the start of next season.

No chance he gets sold before the Benfica match next week. The president would need to get security 24/7 if he does that
That's my concern with him too. I don't think he's gonna improve our current inability to control games from central areas. He will for sure be a significant improvent over Lingard, Pereira and Mata though. Pogba will still be the creative hub of the team from a deeper role in open play. At least one elite level CM or potentially elite level needs to be bought in the summer for things to click. Saul Niguez would be great next to Pogba if we can pull it off.

Tarrou

we can't afford to piss around for the sake of a few mil here

we're frankly lucky that such a decent option in a position we need is available in January with his club willing to sell

gr3yham3

No chance he gets sold before the Benfica match next week. The president would need to get security 24/7 if he does that
Here might be the crux of the problem then : Ed will need that security if we dont push through the deal before our game at Anfield!

WPMUFC

If......IF this is true, what a classic woodward move. You have a team begging to sell because they need cash, the price has allegedly come down 5-10 mill from the beginning of the year and because we can do a better installments deal, and what's woodward's response? "Yeah that's great and all but we have these players we like you to take instead of a full cash deal."

No midfielders available beyond Fred and we are allegedly trying to offload players in a deal that can be done because sporting want cash. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't thrilled with having to potentially negotiate a player contract when they just want cash.

A DoF deciding transfers is a much greater dilution.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If......IF this is true, what a classic woodward move. You have a team begging to sell because they need cash, the price has allegedly come down 5-10 mill from the beginning of the year and because we can do a better installments deal, and what's woodward's response? "Yeah that's great and all but we have these players we like you to take instead of a full cash deal."

No midfielders available beyond Fred and we are allegedly trying to offload players in a deal that can be done because sporting want cash. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't thrilled with having to potentially negotiate a player contract when they just want cash.
No one will come out and stump 75m EUR on a 25 year old whose only ever been proven in Portugal. I find its their side that's more dumb to be honest. Woodward is doing fine to refrain getting fleeced too much for players.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I watched him in the Euros and he does look like a quality player and I find the little hop before the penalty a bit of a worry as it was a shocker but the GK was so bad he could not stop it.
He always does that hop and he always scores, think he stole that move from Jorginho. Don't remember the last time he missed a penalty. He's great at all sorts of set pieces really.

I had a great view of his late winner against Gil Vicente a couple of weeks ago :D

Here might be the crux of the problem then : Ed will need that security if we dont push through the deal before our game at Anfield!
:D

Vietto got injured today and Coates suspended so we already have enough missing players. He could very well leave in January but there's no chance at all it happens before next week's derby. The fans are already pissed enough at the president.

Hopefully he gets a goal, 3 points and the send off he deserves. Would be a fitting way to end his time here.

gr3yham3

He always does that hop and he always scores, think he stole that move from Jorginho. Don't remember the last time he missed a penalty. He's great at all sorts of set pieces really.

I had a great view of his late winner against Gil Vicente a couple of weeks ago :D

:D

Vietto got injured today and Coates suspended so we already have enough missing players. He could very well leave in January but there's no chance at all it happens before next week's derby. The fans are already pissed enough at the president.

Hopefully he gets a goal, 3 points and the send off he deserves. Would be a fitting way to end his time here.
But but but... won't it be better to have the welcome he deserves with a winner at Anfield? :drool::drool:

I think the hop technique is to see which way the keeper moves so he can put it in the opposite side of the goal.. also, if the keeper stays still, he will just place it low and hard into 1 corner which gives most keepers no chance of saving.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

The problem with that package is that none of those players with the exception of maybe Joel Pereira would want to play for Sporting. Also Bruno Fernandes has never done anything to warrant a 75 million euro pricetag, jesus.

I can totally see Woodward offering players on Loan (MUFC pays the wages as part of the transfer package fee). Maybe it would be the best move for Gomes. Curious how this one is going to pan out.

oreon

No one will come out and stump 75m EUR on a 25 year old whose only ever been proven in Portugal. I find its their side that's more dumb to be honest. Woodward is doing fine to refrain getting fleeced too much for players.
I am anti Woodward as they come but I agree you on this. He has put great stats but in an inferior league there's no way to know how it will translate to the EPL. The valuation is way off. 60 million Euros (fees + addons) seems fair. I wouldn't do anything past that.
We have multiple players we need to sign. If we continue to overpay, teams will continue to demand excessive fees.
There are other options apart from Fernandes. It's still early on in the January window. If Sporting are being excessive test Aston Villa with that 60 million for Graelish, talk to Ajax and try to convince Donny Van de beek or look at Lille boubakary. We shouldn't massively over pay just like that without proper due diligence.
Then again, we wouldn't be in this position if proper planning was done. We should have started negotions for January transfers months ago. We are being reactionary and are looking to buy now because of the injuries.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think this one will be done but I would've preferred Zaniolo from Roma instead.

exactly. The jury is very much out on him
- and we do have an excess of goalkeepers and crap centre halves, so if we can throw one of them in the mix, then that’s good work.

whilst we need reinforcements, this would still be a very big transfer, there’s nothing wrong with taking some time to get it right.

he looks to be a good player, but there’s little or no competition for him, so we should negotiate a deal that’s good for us, if not walk away. There are other options.

WPMUFC

- and we do have an excess of goalkeepers and crap centre halves, so if we can throw one of them in the mix, then that’s good work.

whilst we need reinforcements, this would still be a very big transfer, there’s nothing wrong with taking some time to get it right.

he looks to be a good player, but there’s little or no competition for him, so we should negotiate a deal that’s good for us, if not walk away. There are other options.
The point i was making has nothing to do with the actual figures and players in the potential deal, it's the needless complexity of the deal. Everyone and their dog is talking about Sporting needing cash. If we think their "cash" evaluation is too high then either try to lower the cash amount and see if we can sweeten the payment structure or move on to another target.

Has there been one article about Sporting wanting to do deals with player contracts involved? Has there been any news that they want anything more than a cash injection? If we are going to piss around with Sporting negotiating with Gomes (one example) and that all falls through then what's the bloody point?

M Bison

Supports
York City

Makes absolute sense and I thought Ole’s comments earlier this week about not signing players just to protect his job is refreshing and clearly has the best long-term interest of the club at heart. Whilst I hate the phrase “gets the club” in this context it is important.

If it was Mourinho he’d have anyone in, any age and at any cost just to help him appease the fans and get top 4 which is too narrow minded.

Hopefully we do sign Bruno, he’s the right fit and we get top 4 but I’d rather pull out and wait until the summer, even if it means finishing 6th rather than ending up with an expensive flop.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Yes, i did not like that penalty at all.
A better gk would have saved it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Didn't Felix cost 120+m, coming from the same League, without proving any consistency yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.