Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

They need more of the money now, not later. That's not really surprising or unusual. It says nothing about Bruno as a player either.
I am not saying it is,
I mean no disrespect to the player but in my opinion they want too much for a player whose stats are achieved in a lesser league and it is not down to us to help out Sporting if they are in financial trouble.

Son

I have a really bad feeling in my stomach about this transfer... I hope I’m wrong.

His style doesn’t exactly fill me with joy that he’s exactly what we need. United need to start dominating games and he looks more like a creative winger than an actual midfielder.

The price is sky high if the reports are true. What does that leave us for the summer? So many questions and yet again I’m not in the slightest convinced with our clubs direction after a promising last summer transfer window.

Again I hope I’m wrong but if I was a betting man I’d bet on him ending up as a luxury squad player who is guilty of letting games pass him by.

klayton88

Funny how he's suddenly shit because we've had a slow day for news on the potential transfer. I'm not saying he's good or bad or would fit our style etc but it's almost like clockwork in here how people are suddenly having doubts so they can feel better about it all falling though. Same people who'll be posting 'dicks out' when if it gets announced and declaring him the perfect signing.

Yakuza_devils

Why is it a problem he played vs Benfica? He's still a Sporting player.
Even Ashley Young refused to play when his negotiations with Inter was close to avoid any injuries that may jeopardise the move.

And here we are talking about 60mil worth player just played a game vs their fierce rival with high risk of injury.

This simply means we are not even close to the signing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Funny how he's suddenly shit because we've had a slow day for news on the potential transfer. I'm not saying he's good or bad or would fit our style etc but it's almost like clockwork in here how people are suddenly having doubts so they can feel better about it all falling though. Same people who'll be posting 'dicks out' when if it gets announced and declaring him the perfect signing.
Not really.. People who have expressed doubts have done so for some time. There are quite a few people here who aren't as excited about him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Even Ashley Young refused to play when his negotiations with Inter was close to avoid any injuries that may jeopardise the move.

And here we are talking about 60mil worth player just played a game vs their fierce rival with high risk of injury.

This simply means we are not even close to the signing.
It was a major derby for them and a delecate situation where they were losing their best player. Athletic also rubbished that claim that young refused to play. It was just Skysports bollocks, United sources said it was "far from the truth".

SteveW

Cafs full of whingers. It is what it is.

Yakuza_devils

Like others have said, it's weird that with his impressive stats of assists and goals from midfield no other major club are in for him especially 60-80mil in today's market is not considered high. Most clubs only willing to pay 40 mil upfront.

Anyway, hope he turns up well and at the very least he will be upgrade of Pereira, Mata and Lingard.

Yakuza_devils

It was a major derby for them and a delecate situation where they were losing their best player. Athletic also rubbished that claim that young refused to play. It was just Skysports bollocks, United sources said it was "far from the truth".
Either Young refused to play or we don't want to take the risks for his transfer. It's for the benefit of Young.

I understand the situation with SCP losing their best player but they are so far behind Benefica, why take the risk? They should be thinking about rebuild with the money.

Anyway I don't think the transfer is close when he still play because the player is potentially worth 80mil for the club. It's too high a risk to take.

tenpoless

He's so different than our signings in the past 6 years in a way that He's so expressive with his frustrations. That could be a double edged sword at United but We don't need a bunch of nice lads at United. Or those who pretend to be nice but has a fat agent shit talking the club.

Haddock

Anyone here who watches Sporting regularly? I watched him play Porto and Benfica in the last fortnight but I don't see 'it'. He was poor against Porto and good last night but he has a farmyard's worth of space. Also his goals seem to be from speculative long shots and penalties. So am I missing something or is he just an Iberian Gylfi Sigurdsson?

zenith

Anyone here who watches Sporting regularly? I watched him play Porto and Benfica in the last fortnight but I don't see 'it'. He was poor against Porto and good last night but he has a farmyard's worth of space. Also his goals seem to be from speculative long shots and penalties. So am I missing something or is he just an Iberian Gylfi Sigurdsson?
He's good without being great and we must always keep in mind the overall standard of the league.

If the deal does not go through, that's fine too as when we can realistically go for Grealish in the summer.

AR87

They need more of the money now, not later. That's not really surprising or unusual. It says nothing about Bruno as a player either.
If they need more money now it makes sense to lower the potential final fee with add ons.

Ultimately United board are in a potentially lose/lose situation. If they pay up they were desperate and got rinsed, if they refuse they're cheap and just want to pocket money.

I think it's just a business decision. The board respect Ole's opinion and want a creative player but Bruno isn't a Maddison or Sancho who they believe in technically to produce the magic at the PL level. Thus there's a certain price point they don't feel is prudent to exceed in terms of up front cost.

RedTiger

Half mast
Honestly, I'd be ok with an Iberian Sigurdsson right now because it would still be better than some other options in the squad.

Bondi77

The deal sounds fair to me if it is 45 up front and with add ons,
Sporting make good money if he proves to be as valuable as they make him out to be but if it does not work out we should be able to recoup at least half of the outlay so we are not completely rinsed.
The player as well gets to test himself in the toughest league and gets a serious pay rise and plays in front of 70+thousand on a regular basis so if Sporting think he has been a good servant then they should do the deal.

RyRy11

I have a really bad feeling in my stomach about this transfer... I hope I’m wrong.

His style doesn’t exactly fill me with joy that he’s exactly what we need. United need to start dominating games and he looks more like a creative winger than an actual midfielder.

The price is sky high if the reports are true. What does that leave us for the summer? So many questions and yet again I’m not in the slightest convinced with our clubs direction after a promising last summer transfer window.

Again I hope I’m wrong but if I was a betting man I’d bet on him ending up as a luxury squad player who is guilty of letting games pass him by.
The exact reason why we’d want him is because he’s creative. If you are hoping he’s going to be a dominant Kante type player you are going to be let down. I agree we need a DM but we also need someone who to play in that Mata/Lingard role that’s a step up, hopefully he can be that.

PieCrust

He's probably going to be an average player, better than what we have right now in Lingard/Pereira, but still avgerage. He has good vision and technique, but not even close to Eriksen, Pogba, or KDB level.

Most of his goals are from FK/Penalties and some long shots that frankly any respectable keeper in the PL would save. He isn't super athletic and his tackling skills would make Scholes look like Kante.

There is a reason no clubs bought him last year as Sporting are massively overvaluing him. Based on the risk, i'd pay no more than £35m for what he'll bring as a rotation option with a small chance of being a regular starter for a top 6 side.

Any smart DOF would skip this transfer. It's not a home run and has too many risks for only bringing in an average quality player. But since we have the worst board in top flight football I'm guessing we'll pay £60m for him and in 2yrs we'll be wanting him replaced with someone proper.
You forgot to add that after he is exposed as average, he'll be in wages too high to move and then United will probably extend his contract to 250k per week to sit the bench.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I feel like something is missing in this picture too. He does seem like a Sigurdsson type of player. I'm not sure we need that right now, and I don't understand why many United fans have made him out to be the perfect player for us. Is it mostly just the rumours, long-range efforts and goalscoring stats? I guess most haven't even seen him.

It all reminds me of Gaitan. A lot of people wanted him too largely due to the rumours that kept popping up. He became better and better until he got his big move and flopped. Obviously Bruno has done better numbers, but if he came here I think he will flop in everybody's mind just because the image that is being built up isn't in line with peoples actual expectations. If he came here and played like Sigurdsson he wouldn't be appreciated, unless he scores or assist every other game like he did for two seasons in the Portuguese league, which we all know is very unlikely.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Fair play to Gary Cotterill from Sky Sports News who has been at the game tonight and is going big with his article on Bruno seemingly saying goodbye to the Sporting fans at the end of the match but will let you all draw your own conclusions on it.

Personally I am going to hope that he is well connected with this transfer but still worried until other reliable sources pick up on it as well.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11911241/bruno-fernandes-emotional-farewell
gary cotteril is alright to be fair. James Cooper i dont like, he is a proper transfer muppet. I remember when Moyes managed you and told Sky to pack their cameras up and go home because there is certainly nothing happening at OT. Cooper still, even with like an hour left, he still kept on saying something could still happen. Prat.

Champagne Football

This signing worries me greatly. Feels like a Juan Mata/Alexis January panic buy, with no guarantees he has the pace and power to cut it in the PL

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I really can’t say a lot about Bruno. Still find it a bit odd that we are not trying to get Eriksen instead for small money.

Anyway we need creativity in the midfield so I will be absolutely happy with this signing if it takes place.

MyDevil

I really can’t say a lot about Bruno. Still find it a bit odd that we are not trying to get Eriksen instead for small money.

Anyway we need creativity in the midfield so I will be absolutely happy with this signing if it takes place.
Probably because Levy don't want to sell to us?

E-mal

In m= opinion we need to chill till summer, perhaps get Lemar from athletico on loan for the rest of the season to increase the option and then decide in the summer.
Is important we begin making the right decision about transfers.

Ekeke

I wont be surprised one bit if we dont sign him and once again its later revealed we never had interest in him

Bestie07

I wasn't entirely sold on him in the summer, and I am not entirely sold on him now. While he maybe better than what we have in our team currently, I would much rather go for Grealish (or even Maddison) for the attacking midfield position, who I think is much better. If we have to wait till the summer to get him, then so be it.

BlahRules

I hope he is very good ball retention. Whoever watched him play, does he dictate the tempo of the game?

Red_Orchestra

I hope Benfica aren't a bunch of pricks and purposely injure him. What's Bruno's relations with Benfica? Any fights or bad challenges, any bad blood?
Overall I think its a bad idea to play Bruno on Friday.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I am not saying it is,
I mean no disrespect to the player but in my opinion they want too much for a player whose stats are achieved in a lesser league and it is not down to us to help out Sporting if they are in financial trouble.
So we knew what they wanted. Why then entertain buying him if not prepare to pay?

kotha

I hope Benfica aren't a bunch of pricks and purposely injure him. What's Bruno's relations with Benfica? Any fights or bad challenges, any bad blood?
Overall I think its a bad idea to play Bruno on Friday.
The Benfica match is done,so you can rest easy!

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet

Rumour is we asked but he's not interested. Players have to want to come.

Rake

I can't shake the feeling that we are pushing hard to sign a player that we shouldn't.

If we do sign him, I hope that it is for a reasonable fee and wages, so he doesn't become an overpaid mediocrity that we can't shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.