Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant 70 per season so yeah that is around 140m Euros.
Ah right, gotcha. Fair enough.

I'm kinda just about alright with it because of two reasons:

1. The Lukaku money skews it somewhat, but whoever is in charge this Summer, there is no excuse for us not to be spending 150m+.

and 2. Ole appears to be the Moyes type who focuses on "the right player" rather than understanding that the short term is pretty fecking important also, as is having a squad that can cope with a PL and EL season.

padzilla

Hipster
The main concern is this has taken so long but the reality is we need at least another midfielder and a striker in this window to offer a credible hope of a decent end to the season but there is no suggestion anywhere we are going to sign anyone else.

Le Red

To be fair, they are trying to do this now, just with academy products and youth signings.

But as the squad and position is of today, we dont have the possibility of buying potential good players for our squad. Leicester has no problem beeing a mid-table club for a season or two while developing talents.

If that were us we would sack the manager and start anew.
Which is precisely what Leicester did, mind. And they are doing just fine.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

1. The Lukaku money skews it somewhat, but whoever is in charge this Summer, there is no excuse for us not to be spending 150m+.

and 2. Ole appears to be the Moyes type who focuses on "the right player" rather than understanding that the short term is pretty fecking important also, as is having a squad that can cope with a PL and EL season.
All this is code for "we've got sod all money right now so we need to pretend we're looking for the golden unicorn, only that will improve us"

There's literally hundreds of players who could improve us but we're either being extremely stubborn or massively over rate our squad.

JoaquinJoaquin

My honest opinion, I think Maguire was bought with the Lukaku money, hence us delaying the deal until around the time we knew we had the sale for Lukaku.

Will happen again this Summer, We sell Pogba and use that money for Grealish probably.

Dante

Average bang
Yeah this is when I struggle to understand the thought process of the club. There's no logic that I can see to our decision making. There's no real pattern, apart from a pattern that just looks a mess from the outside.

To me it always looks like we're trying to be too clever with deals, we approach signings too coldly, in a very business like manner, which ends up pissing a lot of clubs and people involved off. But then at the same time we seem totally unprofessional.
We've got the money. We can match the price. But we're not pulling the trigger.

It's almost like we're not interested at all. But that's impossible because Twitter says we are. That's where the logic appears to be breaking down.

romufc

The stupid thing is if not Bruno, then who else? Maddison? 100m+ Grealish? potentially 60/70m even if Villa get relegated. There isn't going to be a better and cheaper option.

That is a very lazy response tbf, there isn't going to be a cheaper alternative.

That is what scouts are there for.

Leicester picked Maddison up for relatively cheap, Liverpool picked up Salah, Mane, Bobby quite cheap as well.

Obviously if you are going to go after the most obvious target, they wont come cheap.

DRM

Christ on a bike, this is still going on? Bored now.

Adam-Utd

That is a very lazy response tbf, there isn't going to be a cheaper alternative.

That is what scouts are there for.

Leicester picked Maddison up for relatively cheap, Liverpool picked up Salah, Mane, Bobby quite cheap as well.

Obviously if you are going to go after the most obvious target, they wont come cheap.
Maddison wasn't the captain of is team and scoring 30+G/A a season.

Salah wasn't anywhere near rated as much as he is now.

Firmino had a growing reputation, but yet again has improved immesurably.

Mane the same.

Yes we can aim for those types of players, but Bruno is the finished article which is why we are having to pay more of a premium now. We can go for the Dan James' again if we like, but there's no guarantee with any of that, especially with our coaching staff.

jackal&hyde

Mane the same.

Yes we can aim for those types of players, but Bruno is the finished article which is why we are having to pay more of a premium now. We can go for the Dan James' again if we like, but there's no guarantee with any of that, especially with our coaching staff.
What's wrong with our coaching staff?

Adam-Utd

What's wrong with our coaching staff?
I don't see them improving our players personally, I don't see us being tactically setup well either.

The only ones who's made any forward steps recently is Fred, but that's mainly because he was playing under par in the first place.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ok. So if you shred the wage bill which we have done excessively (to the point even our squad players are leaving), you are then left with the squad decay that we currently have. It sounded to me like you were an apologist for the Glazers lack of spending the last two years. Simple fact is, we shouldn't be haggling over a few million here and there anyways. Do Barcelona or Real Madrid (the 2 other clubs in the Deloittes richest clubs) do that? No they don't. They target the player they want and buy them. Those are proactive clubs, our club just makes excuses.
The money that we put on the wage bill disappeared, even if we reduced this season it doesn't make money appear instantly. I'm also not sure about how much we shredded the wage bill, Lukaku and Fellaini left but Sanchez is still our player and we still pay a part of his wage, same with Smalling, at the same time we increased Martial, Rashford and De Gea's wages while adding Maguire and Wan Bissaka. And there hasn't been a lack of spending in the last two years, our actual net spendings are around 150m per season in 2018 and 2019 due to installments and other clauses.

As for Madrid, they actually haven't spent much in the last decade with several seasons having negative net spends, while Barcelona have struggled to pay their bills.

jackal&hyde

I don't see them improving our players personally, I don't see us being tactically setup well either.

The only ones who's made any forward steps recently is Fred, but that's mainly because he was playing under par in the first place.
Really? I can't think of a single player that hasn't improved actually. Some of them improved a lot like Rashford, Fred, i expect Martial to have his best season as well; not to mention the youth like Greenwood and Williams. I don't know about the tactics but on a individual level i think we are miles better then under that last manager.

theklr

Oh come on. You cant say that Greenwood, Martial, Rashford or Williams havent been making any steps forward recently.

JPRouve

Scout
Of course not, however let us not act like Maguire is an isolated indecent, secondly Bruno is obviously a quality player and the price isn't extortionate for a January transfer. Especially if it pertains to the structure of bonus payments.

Like I said I have no issue with the club haggling, but this doesn't seem like the player or even price point to be haggling about if the rumoured prices are to be believed. Now if Sporting are asking for 80m euros up front (then yes I would side with the club) however it seems to me that this number has only ever come out once and from a United side brief.

If its 70m euros total including all the bonuses, do the bloody deal
It comes down to this which is an opinion not a fact, other people may have a different opinion including the club.

romufc

Mane the same.

Oh yes lovely, comparing a league where the quality of football is quite poor. Have you watched some of the goals hes scored? straight down the middle ?

So you want to look at Bruno's numbers but happy to ignore Salah produced the same prior to Liverpool?

Maybe you need to take off your rose tinted glasses.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ok. So if you shred the wage bill which we have done excessively (to the point even our squad players are leaving), you are then left with the squad decay that we currently have. It sounded to me like you were an apologist for the Glazers lack of spending the last two years. Simple fact is, we shouldn't be haggling over a few million here and there anyways. Do Barcelona or Real Madrid (the 2 other clubs in the Deloittes richest clubs) do that? No they don't. They target the player they want and buy them. Those are proactive clubs, our club just makes excuses.
I don't think we can really call £70mil a season 'a lack of spending,' particularly when our wage bill has been as large as it has. A lack of spending has not been an issue since Fergie's departure, despite many people's best efforts to portray it so. Our issue has been we've recruited incredibly poorly, and overpaid while doing so.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's probably Bruno or we stick to Pereira and Lingard. For a January window standards it's really not that bad opportunity.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think we can really call £70mil a season 'a lack of spending,' particularly when our wage bill has been as large as it has. A lack of spending has not been an issue since Fergie's departure, despite many people's best efforts to portray it so. Our issue has been we've recruited incredibly poorly, and overpaid while doing so.
Exactly. Last season our wage bill was at 332m, our payments on intangible assets basically players registrations aka transfers fees was at 178m, the previous season it was at 155m. Lack of spending is as wrong as it gets but our inability to invest efficiently is criminal and at the of the day the owners are responsible for everyone and everything.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The deal is being held up as Jorge mendes who is involved in sportings transfers wants his agent fees, that’s the reason sporting have asked us for more money to cover what they would have to pay him.

JoaquinJoaquin

Considering the amount the club makes, spending 70m on transfers is in fact shocking. We are meant to be 'rebuilding' (joke that is) and were outspent by Aston Villa and Wolves for feck sake.

OrganisedChaos

Supports
Liverpool
Okay at those fans who know the Portuguese league. Is he better, worse or as good as Bernardo Silva?
Silva never played in the Portuguese League I believe, so going to be difficult to compare. But, he usually outshines Bruno a fair bit for the national team. Different positions though.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Considering the amount the club makes, spending 70m on transfers is in fact shocking. We are meant to be 'rebuilding' (joke that is) and were outspent by Aston Villa and Wolves for feck sake.
Aston Villa outspent everyone. Wolves had a lower net spend I believe. Neither have a wage bill remotely close to ours, or have spent remotely close to us over the past 5 seasons.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
That slaphead on SSN saying that the 2 clubs are moving closer to an agreement and could be done this week. Take it with a pinch of salt of course but that's what he said.

JPRouve

Scout
Villa and Wolves spent 140m net in two seasons?
Villa are around 175m this season but it's due to having access to PL money this year. Interestingly their spendings per player is inferior to ours since they bought 13 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.