Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Pawelek

If we can't make a deal happen because of 5m Euros that is pathetic. We've gone this far now, what's the point of haggling any futher? just get the deal done.

That extra 5m we've tried to save will easily be lost if we don't make the top 4 anyway.
Cancel this. United are being ratioed again with a massive United tax. Instead: get Josip Ilicic from Atalanta (Serie A) on a Bosman in the summer (2 year deal).

At this moment in time it's more important to sign a striker (at least one) and a central defensive midfielder.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nah it's OK. January is a difficult month and all that. Right players weren't available etc.
Ole will surely back Woodward about this. Then he'll smile his way out of the club when he's saddled with all the blame and then sacked in few months time. He's such a sport our little Ole.

United Pro

If we can't make a deal happen because of 5m Euros that is pathetic. We've gone this far now, what's the point of haggling any futher? just get the deal done.

That extra 5m we've tried to save will easily be lost if we don't make the top 4 anyway.
I'm not sure it's just a 5m difference. I reckon it's probably 5m up front fee + 10-15m in add ons (which Sporting want to be realistically achievable).

Oh my we're offering 10m if we win the champions league or league.

Obviously no club would accept this as we arent in the CL and the chances of us winning the league are zero if we look back over the last 5 years or so including this one.

Might as well include a volcano clause as well..
Well in June 2015 everyone would've laughed their heads off at Liverpool including a CL and PL clause, so....

5 years is a long time in football.

Godfather

Ole will surely back Woodward about this. Then he'll smile his way out of the club when he's saddled with all the blame and then sacked in few months time. He's such a sport our little Ole.
I mean that's the thing and one of the few times I agreed with G. Nev. Ole badly needed to spend this month for his own sake. It's all good backing the board but as you've said. They are the ones that will give him the boot if he fails to deliver. With that squad right now it's almost impossible though.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I mean that's the thing and one of the few times I agreed with G. Nev. Ole badly needed to spend this month for his own sake. It's all good backing the board but as you've said. They are the ones that will give him the boot if he fails to deliver. With that squad right now it's almost impossible though.
Agree - and this one player will not make that much difference even if he comes.

Jules_T

O Jogo headline today...

(Forgive the Google translate)
Captain is due to say goodbye to fans in Alvalade today after Sporting and Manchester United clean up the last edges.

Bruno Fernandes should wear the Sporting Lisbon jersey for the last time, in this case in the match that will lead to José Alvalade o Marítimo, in a game of the 18th round of the championship

https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-lig...porting-11752723.html?target=conteudo_fechado

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Cancel this. United are being ratioed again with a massive United tax. Instead: get Josip Ilicic from Atalanta (Serie A) on a Bosman in the summer (2 year deal).

At this moment in time it's more important to sign a striker (at least one) and a central defensive midfielder.
We need Fernandes AND a player like Ilicic. Just 1 of them isn't going to be enough.
I'm not sure it's just a 5m difference. I reckon it's probably 5m up front fee + 10-15m in add ons (which Sporting want to be realistically achievable).
We've been messing around with these add ons for ages it seems - putting in clauses like Balon' Dor and winning the CL when we aren't even in the competition? No wonder Sporting are getting the hump.

We should give them a few more extra quid guaranteed and just get the deal done otherwise we're going to be massively short come february.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
O Jogo headline today...

(Forgive the Google translate)
Captain is due to say goodbye to fans in Alvalade today after Sporting and Manchester United clean up the last edges.

Bruno Fernandes should wear the Sporting Lisbon jersey for the last time, in this case in the match that will lead to José Alvalade o Marítimo, in a game of the 18th round of the championship

https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-lig...porting-11752723.html?target=conteudo_fechado
Good, looks like finally this is getting sorted.

Meanwhile, RTP, a reliable public service broadcaster, reported on Sunday that the offer had been increased to €55m plus €15m in bonuses, agreeing with other Portuguese claims.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We've been messing around with these add ons for ages it seems - putting in clauses like Balon' Dor and winning the CL when we aren't even in the competition? No wonder Sporting are getting the hump.
This is what makes me feel that we* are not seriously interested in Fernandes, its all just smoke to appease the supporters/manager in someway...
Woodward & Judge did the same thing when Mourinho wanted to sign Perisic, they just fart arsed about quibbling about relatively small differences until the window slammed closed..
I think they are doing the same thing here.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

From our initial bid, we were 25m Euros away. So it wasn't because 5m Euros.

devilish

I really don't get it. If the club's is not financially supporting Ole then he should say so. If everyone knows the truth then it's good for the club (as fans will turn against the owners) but also for the manager himself. Clubs are more likely to give a failed manager a second chance if they knew that he wasn't given the tools to work rather then if he's simply incompetent. Take Mourinho and Gattuso as examples of that.So what is Ole afraid of? They'll sack him in Summer irrespective what he says now as they need a scapegoat. I'd say everything is already set for the Pochs just as everything was already set for Mou when LVG was still the boss. So why sticking to such owners?

The only reason I can't think of that wouldn't include insulting comments towards the manager that would get me banned in here is that maybe Ole had signed an NDA. If that's the case then Ole shouldn't have signed that contract in the first place. Also an NDA doesn't force Ole to kiss Woodward's arse every single time. Whenever asked for transfers he simply have to direct those questions to Woodward. That is all.

Number4.

I look forward to the "We are Man United, we wont be bullied or held to ransom" press conference at the weekend.

Liverpool went through very similar problems for years from about 2003 - 2008 where they simply had no one capable of signing players and actually getting the deals over the line - the same challanges appear to be festering at United now - there is no-one with the confidence to commit to a deal and while the exec committee all rally around conference calls to not make a decision the sellers & agents squeeze the terms.....

EireRed_GS

We desperately need a creative attacking MF mate before anything else.. whether its Bruno, or someone else.. Against anyone half decent we literally have zero link between MF and FW. The people tasked with doing so look utterly clueless and lost. Sort that, then move on to the striker department.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Deadline day signing at the price asked 3 weeks ago. Who’d be shocked?

The Red Thinker

I look at it this way. If United are in for any player, the price goes up. This is a given. Always has been and always will be. BUT, if teams are being unreasonable with the price, and we acquiesce every time, we will never make good deals. There needs to be a stand taken and a message sent out that we will go to a certain price point and that’s it.

Woodward was a fool for exposing himself that he was willing to dish out money. He seems to have learned his ways.Then again,leaving transfers for late in the day puts us in untenable scenario. If we want good deals, we go in early and that requires good planning.

This is where a DoF will help. I don’t disagree with Woodward not wanting to dish out an extra 20 million just because Sporting moved the goal post. But, I admonish him for the situation we are in again.

Doracle

I really don't get it. If the club's is not financially supporting Ole then he should say so. If everyone knows the truth then it's good for the club (as fans will turn against the owners) but also for the manager himself. Clubs are more likely to give a failed manager a second chance if they knew that he wasn't given the tools to work rather then if he's simply incompetent. Take Mourinho and Gattuso as examples of that.So what is Ole afraid of? They'll sack him in Summer irrespective what he says now as they need a scapegoat. I'd say everything is already set for the Pochs just as everything was already set for Mou when LVG was still the boss. So why sticking to such owners?

The only reason I can't think of that wouldn't include insulting comments towards the manager that would get me banned in here is that maybe Ole had signed an NDA. If that's the case then Ole shouldn't have signed that contract in the first place. Also an NDA doesn't force Ole to kiss Woodward's arse every single time. Whenever asked for transfers he simply have to direct those questions to Woodward. That is all.
Or maybe he is a professional who has those discussions behind closed doors rather than airing any dirty laundry in public.

United Pro

We should give them a few more extra quid guaranteed and just get the deal done otherwise we're going to be massively short come february.
I agree, if we think Fernandes is a player to improve us, then we should up our bid. But I suspect it's a mixture of us bidding too low and Sporting trying to maximise what they receive and it's a matter of both clubs meeting in the middle.

devilish

Or maybe he is a professional who has those discussions behind closed doors rather than airing any dirty laundry in public.
So lying to the same fans who worships him makes him look professional?

Bestietom

I agree, if we think Fernandes is a player to improve us, then we should up our bid. But I suspect it's a mixture of us bidding too low and Sporting trying to maximise what they receive and it's a matter of both clubs meeting in the middle.
There is very little in the difference now, 4/5 million euro. Depends on who bows first.

jackal&hyde

Do you really need a manager to speak out against the owners to know they are bad? He's doing what SAF did because anything else in public actually damages the club and makes things even worse, see Mourinho.

devilish

Do you really need a manager to speak out against the owners to know they are bad? He's doing what SAF did because anything else in public actually damages the club and makes things even worse, see Mourinho.
Sir Alex was never in that silly situation, not even during Edwards time. The squad had never been so thin and devoid of any talent. It's borders to the ridiculous.

Bestietom

Sir Alex was never in that silly situation, not even during Edwards time. The squad had never been so thin and devoid of any talent. It's borders to the ridiculous.
Kids making up the bench numbers tells the story. No match winners like we always had for change. We need a lot of players in before we even think of challenging.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
SAF also famously resigned when he’d hadn’t get the contract he asked for

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Is he seriously playing tonight? :lol:

If this doesn’t go through all Portuguese sources should be banned forever.

Redcy

Maybe we can make a bid on the last day, using the infamous fax machine?

"I mean we sent the bid via fax machine, unfortunately it never arrived, we will spend the money in the summer. Now get those season tickets early when they come up, oh and our new shirts with the new sponsors on".

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
From our initial bid, we were 25m Euros away. So it wasn't because 5m Euros.
We're at that stage now. Sporting just want more up front guaranteed rather than all these bonuses which I can't really blame them.

If we really want him then why mess around? We are just trying to compete on a penny pinching budget with bang average players. Good luck catching City and Pool with this attitude.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Last game for sure and then 3 days later He will be spotted in Roma out of all places. Doing thumbsup with Mike Smalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.