Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Di Marzio has been treated like a transfer oracle over here in the past couple of years, but seriously, how many times has he been wrong?
He got pretty much everything he said for us wrong apart from Maguire which is something even Indykalia could get right. Even the links to Lukaku with Inter which broke day before, came from some other Milan based journalist and not Di Marzio. He's been awful for a lot of stuff and yet he'll keep being treated as God on here.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
An attacking midfielder with lots of goals and assists who didn't repeat it for United. Now where have I heard that one before?

Transfer
-- Fee ----- Season ---- Player -------- goals -- assists -- League
-- £20m -- 2011-12 -- Shinji Kagawa --- 14 ---- 8 -- Bundesliga
-- £34m -- 2012-13 -- Juan Mata ------- 16 --- 20 -- English PL
-- £25m -- 2014-15 -- Memphis --------- 25 ---- 5 -- Eredivisie
-- £27m -- 2015-16 -- Mkhitaryan ------ 13 --- 20 -- Bundesliga
-- £65m -- 2018-19 -- Fernandes ------- 23 --- 14 -- Primeira Liga
Shall we stop signing attacking midfielders?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
At one stage he was 25/1 to stay at Sporting, but I presumed that was when their window closed and not the English one.
Might have jumped the gun buddy

Cliche Guevara

At one stage he was 25/1 to stay at Sporting, but I presumed that was when their window closed and not the English one.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Most places seem to be up until 3rd September when the other windows close.

I can see him returning to Italy, maybe Roma or Milan, for around €45m.

w1thout

If the late bid is true we will most likely go back in for him in January.
Where does he fits in for you? if Eriksen stays you'll have him,Lo Celso and Dele as attacking midfielders. That's alot even without Bruno.

redshaw

Thank you Sport Witness. I was having Bruno withdrawal symptoms and feel a lot better now.

Sounds like Sporting CP want too much money. ~50 mill is about right, i don't see anyone coming in at 80 but who knows, European clubs have made some big buys while PL clubs haven't.

OneUnited24

I doubt we did. This sounds more like the agent trying to drum up interest in his client. Probably hoped by saying we were interested would spark a biding war.

beingshe7don

United weren't in for him for whatever reason, I believe that is clear. He enjoyed his loan at Leicester, was guaranteed playing time and felt comfortable with Rodgers. Fine. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch.
You do realize that United wanted Tielemans to wait till Pogba's situation was sorted and he didn't want to wait. Also, we were whoring ourselves to get Longstaff which made no sense at all. We wanted to save 10m by getting Longstaff for 25m and instead paid the price of not getting any midfielder at all.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You do realize that United wanted Tielemans to wait till Pogba's situation was sorted and he didn't want to wait. Also, we were whoring ourselves to get Longstaff which made no sense at all. We wanted to save 10m by getting Longstaff for 25m and instead paid the price of not getting any midfielder at all.
You literally have no way of knowing if any of that is remotely true.

Classical Mechanic

I doubt it was true, it wasn’t like Levy was keeping secrets yesterday, we were getting blow by blow accounts from journos of your business. His agent and/or club are desperate to shift him so I’m sure that was for the benefit of other foreign clubs for the next two weeks. No one reliable has picked it up.

Dante

Average bang
Only about 5% of the stories linking us to players in Portugal have any basis in reality.

The next step will be to say that Real Madrid have entered the race. Just watch.
I called it back in March.

The only thing that was different from previous seasons is that the Portuguese media linked him to Tottenham at the last minute, rather than Real Madrid.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I doubt it was true, it wasn’t like Levy was keeping secrets yesterday, we were getting blow by blow accounts from journos of your business. His agent and/or club are desperate to shift him so I’m sure that was for the benefit of other foreign clubs for the next two weeks. No one reliable has picked it up.
Why is it so implausible? Just cause it’s little Tottenham?

Dante

Average bang
Why is it so implausible? Just cause it’s little Tottenham?
No, because Bruno is an overrated player being whored around by his agent.

The point being made is that there were never any original links to United that came from United affiliated journalist - only from Sporting mouthpieces.

The links to Tottenham also originated from the same dodgy sources. Which makes little sense since Spurs affiliated journalists were relatively talkative about everyone other than Bruno.

buckooo1978

I dont think we bid at all

he was one of the easiest players in Europe to sign and I think 40/45m might have done it such was the noise from Portugal for him leaving

strange - I hadn't heard of the player 12 months ago but he does look very talented the few times I've seen him play.

P4rthen0n

Supports
Benfica
No, because Bruno is an overrated player being whored around by his agent.

The point being made is that there were never any original links to United that came from United affiliated journalist - only from Sporting mouthpieces.

The links to Tottenham also originated from the same dodgy sources. Which makes little sense since Spurs affiliated journalists were relatively talkative about everyone other than Bruno.
Is Bruno overrated? I guess it depends how you look at it.
For a 70 million euros asking price, he's obviously overrated. He's not worth that much.
For 40 million euros in 2019's market, he's righty rated.

He's a pretty good player, for sure a top5 player in Portugal in the past 2 seasons.

There were links to Utd, but they backed out because of the asking price. No official bid.
Tottenham definately made an official bid of 45 million euros to Sporting, which already triggered the 5 million clause in BF's contract (if Sporting refused an official bid of at least 35 million euros, they'd have to pay 5 million to Bruno Fernandes).

There's a huge rivalry between Benfica and Sporting. Since João Félix was sold for 126 million euros, Sporting fans have an hard time accepting BF's sale for 40 million (even though that'd be a fair price). Sporting's president knows this, which is why he didn't take Tottenham's 45million bid.
Now Jorge Mendes is involved so don't be surprised to see a deal completed that sends him to Monaco, Valencia or Atletico.

Santos J

It can be revealed that United pulled the plug on their pursuit of Bruno Fernandes, the Sporting Lisbon midfielder, because of his poor passing statistics. Fernandes, 24, had a pass completion rate of 75 per cent last season.
Paul Hirst in The Times

Apokalips

You literally have no way of knowing if any of that is remotely true.
Yeah, but it paints us as clueless so has to be true...or something.

I always felt this had a clear Gaitan/Garay vibe. The daily fluctuations in news just don't correlate with realistic negotiations.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Poor man's Kdb, looses possession of the ball often. That's why the club didn't go in for him, high risk and not too good at ball retention

Red_Orchestra

Sources: United doubted Fernandes' quality

Manchester United ended their interest in Bruno Fernandes because of concerns the midfielder loses possession too much, sources have told ESPN FC.

United looked at Fernandes as a potential option to boost their midfield after an impressive season that saw the Portugal international score 31 goals for Sporting Lisbon.

However, the club's recruitment team voiced concerns about the 24-year-old's passing statistics -- highlighting that he gives the ball away too much -- before deciding he did not fit in with the possession-based style of football favoured by Solskjaer.

Sources have told ESPN FC that United also became frustrated at the amount of speculation in Portugal about a possible move for Fernandes.

Privately, Old Trafford chiefs believed Sporting tried to drive up the price by over-stating interest from the Premier League. Tottenham and Liverpool were also linked with moves.(/quote)

Source:
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3921498/sources-united-doubted-fernandes-quality
It figures why we lost interest in him. If true, I'm glad we didn't get suckered into the hype and make a panic buy. I have to watch more of him.

It makes me wonder what United's scout report on Ndombele was.
A midfield partnership between Ndombele and Pogba would've been absolutely beautiful to watch.

Anyways, off to the next.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I don't believe this :lol: Passing stats is something they could have checked first before even being on any pursuit.
This.

It's not like we would go so far then be like 'oh we just checked his passing stats and don't want him now' :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.