Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotherham_red

This.

It's not like we would go so far then be like 'oh we just checked his passing stats and don't want him now' :lol:
We consistently said we weren't in for him. The only people who said we were, were the Portuguese press and then latterly, Di Marzio.

Everyone and anyone who remembered the Gaitan and Garay era could see the blatant parallels.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
We consistently said we weren't in for him. The only people who said we were, were the Portuguese press and then latterly, Di Marzio.

Everyone and anyone who remembered the Gaitan and Garay era could see the blatant parallels.
Maybe so, but the point is this current development about his passing stats BS, the only point I'm making. Not about whether we were actually interested or not. It's really poor journalism just to get clicks.

dev1l

Imo we backed out of the deal because we considered the price too high. The whole media circus created by Sporting didn't help either.
Anyway till now no other club offered the fee what Sporting are asking for.
I think in the end they ll lower the price until he joins some second tier side (eg Valencia,Monaco etc) for 35 million or so

Raw

I mean the misplaced pass stat is pretty concerning, like the stat about Alexis losing the ball shitloads of times which continued when he came to united. But I guess Fernandes is young (ish?) enough to develop that side of his game more.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Surely this could just mean he's a player who takes a lot of risks? If you get 20 goals 13 assists from midfield you're likely to mess up more often than other midfielders who are more likely to take the safer option most of the time.

It's much easier to not misplace a pass when you're a sideways merchant.

Zlatattack

This was another Gaitan, Garay, Schneider. Lets hope it doesn't repeat year after year.

GloryHunter07

It figures why we lost interest in him. If true, I'm glad we didn't get suckered into the hype and make a panic buy. I have to watch more of him.

It makes me wonder what United's scout report on Ndombele was.
A midfield partnership between Ndombele and Pogba would've been absolutely beautiful to watch.

Anyways, off to the next.
possession-based style of football favoured by Solskjaer
What a load of hogwash from ESPN. Its like they havent been watching united under Ole.

Stadjer

Pogba lost the ball a few times against Chelsea and was accused of "downing tools" in the match thread.... Bruno has lost the ball often so he clearly also downed tools. Right?

GazTheLegend

I mean the misplaced pass stat is pretty concerning, like the stat about Alexis losing the ball shitloads of times which continued when he came to united. But I guess Fernandes is young (ish?) enough to develop that side of his game more.
Depay had shite passing stats too.

It’s a difficult aspect of the game to improve.

GazTheLegend

Surely this could just mean he's a player who takes a lot of risks? If you get 20 goals 13 assists from midfield you're likely to mess up more often than other midfielders who are more likely to take the safer option most of the time.

It's much easier to not misplace a pass when you're a sideways merchant.
It’s extremely concerning.

1 in 4 of his passes invites pressure straight back on to his team...

... in a slower league

... with less in the way of pressing football

... and less quality teams around.

74% (it was) is pretty poor to be quite honest, and I’m told by people that actually bothered to watch Sporting games that Fernandes does give the ball away a lot and noticeably. He’s 26 and it’s a bit late to improve on that.

NYAS

We’ve turned up our noses at him because of how much he loses possession?

Do we even watch our very own Paul Pogba?

Anyway, it’s further evidence of what I’ve been saying. Bruno should be a replacement/back-up for Pogba and not a midfield partner.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It’s extremely concerning.

1 in 4 of his passes invites pressure straight back on to his team...

... in a slower league

... with less in the way of pressing football

... and less quality teams around.

74% (it was) is pretty poor to be quite honest, and I’m told by people that actually bothered to watch Sporting games that Fernandes does give the ball away a lot and noticeably. He’s 26 and it’s a bit late to improve on that.

It would be poor if he wasn't racking up such ridiculous attacking stats. He's carrying a terrible team on his back so it's guaranteed he's going to need to take more risks and go for more solo/audacious efforts than he might need to in a stronger all round side. From what Sporting fans have said on here, he's basically a one man team so yeah, it's not exactly a surprise he's not boasting great possession retention. Pass sideways to teammates who are likely to feck it up, or go for a killer ball?

Also, he's 24 not 26.

Classical Mechanic

Just means he is making killer passes. De Bruyne is similar. Much preferred to safety men like Pereira
KDB has better pass completion and less turnovers through bad touches and dispossessions though.

If this is true the club will have gone much deeper into the nature of how he loses possession as well.

fps

People are comparing this guy with Pogba and DeBruyne.... just because he loses the ball a lot.... Christ, he'd have been on the move this summer if he was that good.

Sterling Archer

Being covered by a few sources as is typical when the club releases a statement. Why not just shut the f*ck up?

flappyjay

Is it wouldn't be surprising to be true. Ole knew he was keeping Pogba, so imagine a scenario where we have two midfielders who lose the ball a lot. Asking them not to go for risky passes or shots would stifle them.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It figures why we lost interest in him. If true, I'm glad we didn't get suckered into the hype and make a panic buy. I have to watch more of him.

It makes me wonder what United's scout report on Ndombele was.
A midfield partnership between Ndombele and Pogba would've been absolutely beautiful to watch.

Anyways, off to the next.
What a load of bollcks. We didn't sign him as he wouldn't fit our possession based game? We don't even play a possession based game.

Bestietom

We should have brought in a replacement for Herrera/Fellaini.
A combative midfielder with skill and drive, not Fernandes.

dev1l

I m glad we didn't fell for the hype created by his agent. Unfortunately lot of fans did loll

Stacks

KDB has better pass completion and less turnovers through bad touches and dispossessions though.

If this is true the club will have gone much deeper into the nature of how he loses possession as well.
Doubt it. Sounds like media nonsense. He loses possession 4 times per game as a number 10 (someone who spends time in advanced positions and makes risky attempts). Kane lost possession 4.5pg Sterling 4.8pg,
People are comparing this guy with Pogba and DeBruyne.... just because he loses the ball a lot.... Christ, he'd have been on the move this summer if he was that good.
Could be asking for too much. People are just saying that's it's strange to be focusing on lost ball for someone who players advanced and is super productive

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Imo we backed out of the deal because we considered the price too high. The whole media circus created by Sporting didn't help either.
Anyway till now no other club offered the fee what Sporting are asking for.
I think in the end they ll lower the price until he joins some second tier side (eg Valencia,Monaco etc) for 35 million or so
There was no deal to back out from, we weren't interested and never enquired.
He'll stay at sporting no doubt.

Adcuth

So now he's shit is he? What happened to all our resident experts who said he was world class?

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Lots of people here with opinions over a player they never saw playing. The misters know it all.

Bruno Fernandes is a great, GREAT player. United just missed a great player that everyone will hear more in near future.

dev1l

There was no deal to back out from, we weren't interested and never enquired.
He'll stay at sporting no doubt.
There was no Deal in place agreed. But I m under the impression that we had some level of interest in the player

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah that's why it's not his 20 goals 13 assists in the league alone last season.

The latter part may well be true, although we don't really have the full story of what Sporting wanted to sell, whether clubs were genuinely interested etc.

dev1l

He s not shit but he s not worth nowhere near 70 m. At the time being he s in the a30-40m bracket imo

Status
Not open for further replies.