Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

Also Pogba, Fernandes in a 3 man midfield would be asking for trouble. Neither are defensive players. That would leave the DM too much to do.
I wouldn’t have any two of Fernandes, Maddison, Rooney, Mkhitaryan, Mata, etc in a three man midfield - exclusively no.10/ advanced midfielder types. Pogba doesn’t quite fit in that category though - even if, yes, the ideal involves him as the left-sided no.8 with the most freedom to empty the midfield, drive forward and join the attack, with his two accompanying midfielders having the qualities to facilitate that. It doesn’t mean that’s the only acceptable way to utilise him, as he can also function in, and bring a lot of the same qualities to, the link/ box to box/ no.8 role that the likes of Scholes, Xavi, Sahin, Gundogan, Verratti, Rabiot or Dembele do/ did. In a similar way to how Modric is a natural deeper midfield player, but can operate in a no.10 position to a high level. Or the difference between Vieira being partnered with Gilberto Silva compared to Edu for Arsenal - the former freed him up more to go box to box and show his full array of abilities, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with what you got from him or the pairing when played with the later.

BrianLy

Yeah I also felt that Liverpool would have a quiet window after splashing the cash last year.
Me too, but my reasoning is that they unfortunately have a well running machine at this point in time. Major spending is more likely to derail a team at their stage. Hopefully there is some pressure from their US owners to invest and that introduces some instability.

minh_loc_xoay

Me too, but my reasoning is that they unfortunately have a well running machine at this point in time. Major spending is more likely to derail a team at their stage. Hopefully there is some pressure from their US owners to invest and that introduces some instability.
May be they'd be interested in bringing Sanchez in for squad-depth? Robbing the biggest star with biggest salary from Manchester United, their greatest rival would be satisfying, yeah? :drool:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I would be very surprised if Liverpool signed him.

We currently have 7 first team players for 3 midfield places and Klopp has said that there are no plans for major signings this summer.

Sporting Lisbon are currently in talks with Liverpool over a deal for one of our youth team players (Rafa Camacho) so I think some people have maybe seen certain parties together and jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Think we're still looking for an attacking player, and ideally one that can play as a 10cum8 as well as up front.

scoi

United truly suck at transfers right now, but I'll never understand how people seriously think the above is the case. It make no fecking sense.
I agree it makes no sense.

I can't see how a transfer takes so long for one player to be signed, negotiations don't have to take weeks on end.

And I can't see how multiple players can't be worked on simultaneously.

But the evidence (press rumours) is strongly hinting that this is what's occurring.

RWDrennan

United truly suck at transfers right now, but I'll never understand how people seriously think the above is the case. It make no fecking sense.
Im still baffled how Ed would even take a holiday in this period of the year... Surely the role which he unfortunately holds at the moment with dealing with transfers is most important from june-aug surely? Why he would take time off in this period is beyond me. I understand he has commercial responsibilities during the season however having a week or two holiday during the season is likely to be less detrimental than in the summer period....?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I would be very surprised if Liverpool signed him.

We currently have 7 first team players for 3 midfield places and Klopp has said that there are no plans for major signings this summer.

Sporting Lisbon are currently in talks with Liverpool over a deal for one of our youth team players (Rafa Camacho) so I think some people have maybe seen certain parties together and jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Even the portuguese press who likes to make up tons of stories barely mentions Liverpool as one the clubs interested.

I'm quite surprised to see Sporting interested in Rafael Camacho. Sure, a raw talent but he doesn't seem top player material to me. Probably a deal that Camacho goes to Sporting almost for free and Liverpool will include a buyback clause + X% on next sale. Pretty much like Real Madrid does when selling their young players.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp rates Camacho and wanted him to compete with Alexander-Arnold but Camacho doesn't want to play right back!

Raw

FFS :lol:

In fairness he could have totally made that up or embellished the details. Can't really blame him for going to Liverpool over us though.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
Fernandes wants to leave. He as stated that even joining Inter would be nice because "they have one of the best coaches in the world". That man might be telling the truth but it doesn't mean that Fernandes prioritizes Liverpool. I think that he might prioritize the Premier League but that's about it.

Bwuk

Does he fit in how Liverpool want to play? They have a bunch of athletic midfield players who press really hard.

Plus they have a lot of midfielders as is. Would be strange imo.

Raw

Does he fit in how Liverpool want to play? They have a bunch of athletic midfield players who press really hard.

Plus they have a lot of midfielders as is. Would be strange imo.
They don't really have a midfielder that can contribute to a lot of goals/assists though. They seem to have tried to fix that issue for a while considering they were desperate for Fekir last summer.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
feck him, get Van de Beek instead. And Tielemans

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He could just be being polite and Liverpool right now would be a nice place to go from Sporting? I don't think that really confirms much

Snafu17

Remember when the two American lads got Pogba to say he isn't leaving Juventus? Yeah, stuff like this means feck all 99 % of the time.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I refuse to believe he is our first choice target in midfield, €70m release clause is straight forward. I can't help but feel he's on the lower rung of targets we've set for this summer.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's about 90% certain. Club and player already agreed terms, now it's just needed agree with the club.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I heard Sporting were negotiating 70M + Rafael Camacho from Liverpool. Dont know if any truth behind it.

I still think he will end up in United despite Sporting being very interested in Camacho the former Sporting youth product.

With that being said Sporting pre season begins with the player medicals in our training facilities July 4th so will be interesting to see of a deal is done before that.

SportingCP96

Supports
If it makes you lot feel better I once met Andre Carrilo on the plane in 2015 (he was arguably Sporting best player at the time) him and Sporting were having contract disputes and I asked him to stay in Sporting and not go to one of our rivals. He said "Si si no te preocupes" (Yes yes dont worry) then he signed my Sporting shirt.

1 week later he signed for Benfica.

TWAT.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If it makes you lot feel better I once met Andre Carrilo on the plane in 2015 (he was arguably Sporting best player at the time) him and Sporting were having contract disputes and I asked him to stay in Sporting and not go to one of our rivals. He said "Si si no te preocupes" (Yes yes dont worry) then he signed my Sporting shirt.

1 week later he signed for Benfica.

TWAT.
:lol:. That's cold.

SportingCP96

Supports
:lol:. That's cold.
I got the last laugh though (Not really because he is making millions while I am typing this from my bed) he spent last season playing in Saudi Arabia so HA.

MadMike

Doesn't his position and style of play make him a bit of a Pogba replacement? Especially in a 3-man midfield.

And If we're gonna play the diamond, why have we been buying (James) and looking at (Sancho) wingers?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Doesn't his position and style of play make him a bit of a Pogba replacement? Especially in a 3-man midfield.

And If we're gonna play the diamond, why have we been buying (James) and looking at (Sancho) wingers?
Not necessarily. Pogba can play deeper as shown at the world cup.

Bwuk

They don't really have a midfielder that can contribute to a lot of goals/assists though. They seem to have tried to fix that issue for a while considering they were desperate for Fekir last summer.
They spent like 50m on Keita for that, plus Oxlade will be back next season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If we're keeping Pogba he has to play attacking midfield so surely we should be looking at alternatives to Bruno? He's be a gamble of a replacement too.

MadMike

Not necessarily. Pogba can play deeper as shown at the world cup.
Pogba didn't really play that deep in the World Cup, it's greatly exaggerated on here. Deschamps deployed Matuidi as defensive LW. He was very often more deep than Pogba, allowing him to bomb forward. It was really a Kante, Pogba, Matuidi midfield. I don't think swapping Matuidi or Kante for another attack-minded midfielder would work.

And also a 7-game, short-duration cup competition is different to a 50-game season. Not to mention that he was in the most talented team. I have severe doubts whether Pogba can sustain the discipline, attention and focus that the deeper role requires for a long season. At Juve he played in midfield 3 with two more disciplined midfielders.

tidraKS

I'm sorry, if City played mostly of the games with Fernandinho/Gundogan - David Silva - De Bruyne/Bernando Silva in midfield, why can't we play with a DM, Pogba and Bruno ?

Raw

They spent like 50m on Keita for that, plus Oxlade will be back next season.
Perhaps they're not convinced by Keita, and they're worried Oxlade won't be as good as he was before he got injured. They are desperate to win the title, and with City as good as they are they'll want to have a squad full of quality players that would start at any other club.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Pogba didn't really play that deep in the World Cup, it's greatly exaggerated on here. Deschamps deployed Matuidi as defensive LW. He was very often more deep than Pogba, allowing him to bomb forward. It was really a Kante, Pogba, Matuidi midfield. I don't think swapping Matuidi or Kante for another attack-minded midfielder would work.

And also a 7-game, short-duration cup competition is different to a 50-game season. Not to mention that he was in the most talented team. I have severe doubts whether Pogba can sustain the discipline, attention and focus that the deeper role requires for a long season. At Juve he played in midfield 3 with two more disciplined midfielders.
He played a lot deeper than he is currently for United. Having a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder and Pogba to working between the two would be perfectly fine, particularly when Fernandes works as hard as he does.

izec

I'm sorry, if City played mostly of the games with Fernandinho/Gundogan - David Silva - De Bruyne/Bernando Silva in midfield, why can't we play with a DM, Pogba and Bruno ?
Because Pogba is a liability workrate and positioning wise and we dont have a world class DM. We also dont keep the ball like City. We defend far more without the ball, having Pogba in there for a few games is fine, but for a season, he would be unhappy to have to do so much defending. We would need Kante to run around for 90 minutes covering every inch of the pitch not not get exposed defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.