Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

He fits as that final piece of a puzzle for Klopp whose been looking to fill that attacking midfield position for a long time. Tried it with Lallana and Ox, even briefly with Shaqiri but Bruno is probably on a next level if you go by just stats. Scousers might be finally getting their Countinho replacement. Even though I believe he's a great fit for Liverpool, I somehow cannot convince myself that he's a great fit for us.

BrianLy

I agree it makes no sense.
It makes "no sense" if you look at it from a naive position. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it from the perspective of the other stakeholders:

Player sought after: I should hold out for the best deal since I have other options.

Player's agent: You should hold out since we have these other offers and we'll be ready for any club on deadline day if it comes down to this. Don't worry about starting anything until July - just enjoy your holidays.

MUFC backoffice: What's your actual cut-off Ole? "I want them training with us on 1st July." Well we'll try for that, but we don't have much control since the close of the transfer window isn't until later and the agents know that. Managers always pick the most competitive targets, why can't we just promote from the academy and save me the run around every summer. Yeah, we'll be on holidays and have to finish some things for the tour. [not a full accounting of everything going on lol]

I can't see how a transfer takes so long for one player to be signed, negotiations don't have to take weeks on end.
They do when you don't have any leverage. These players have other options since we are not league winners and have an air of incompetence about us in recent years. People in large companies deal with these "influencing without authority" situations all the time - you just never control the timeline.

And I can't see how multiple players can't be worked on simultaneously.
There is zero evidence that multiple players are not being worked on at any point in the year, not just the closed season. These deals don't just appear out of thin air. We are rightfully not entitled to the inside of those negotiations.

There are negotiations going on all around each of us every day that we are not privy to. Many of these amount to nothing. I've had multiple informal talks with other managers at work over my career about switching to their team and we've decided not do anything. No one lets on the conversation is happening and it's forgotten about afterwards. This is happening over and over again at Manchester United's management and agents talk with established players and even the parents of young prospects.

The closest I've come to knowing anyone making even a step towards joining the club was when an acquaintance's child was scouted. Obviously the club want you to be able to share your pride and announce Wee Johnny got a trial, but the discussions leading up to this were kept hush-hush. If Wee Johnny's dad happened to be a scouse fan who was happy to sabotage his kids future (a Liverpool supporting Dad seems like pretty good life sabotage!) and decline the trial, then the club don't have embarrassment or some stupid news story because there is no record of the conversation (plausible deniability.)

But the evidence (press rumours) is strongly hinting that this is what's occurring.
The press are there to make a good story and their rumours are not real evidence. They hear bits and pieces, but rarely do they get the full story, so they have to construct a narrative. People are so used to the narrative that they buy into it, and it's entertaining. I find summer transfer season kind of fun because I learn about new players since we get connected with everyone, there are humourous debates here etc. but I never consider it reality. Transfers are complex just like life is not a good read for many football fans who only want some headlines to banter about.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We will never no but i do not disagree that we focus on one deal at a time.
It’s incredible how thick our fans seem to think Woodward and co is. You might not like him but he’s not some kind of buffoon.

BrianLy

Pogba is a liability workrate and positioning wise
Do we have actual evidence for the first assertion on work rate? My understanding his numbers are very competitive.

I won't argue against positioning because I've had so many facepalm moments since he rejoined because someone else should have been picking up the ball instead of him, or he was picking up the ball facing in the direction of our goal.

MrBest

It’s incredible how thick our fans seem to think Woodward and co is. You might not like him but he’s not some kind of buffoon.
We can have a bunch of stuff in the pipeline - easy. The work style may be that we want to get one deal closed off at a time. It has nothing to do with being thick, no need to talk in another tense. You can direct it to me instead of trying to showcase it.

Fer

He fits as that final piece of a puzzle for Klopp whose been looking to fill that attacking midfield position for a long time. Tried it with Lallana and Ox, even briefly with Shaqiri but Bruno is probably on a next level if you go by just stats. Scousers might be finally getting their Countinho replacement. Even though I believe he's a great fit for Liverpool, I somehow cannot convince myself that he's a great fit for us.
This.

Klopp has been looking for a player like him. They would be even more dangerous with Firminho as false 9 with Mane, Salah and (hopefully not) Fernandes as their goalscoring mid.

IMO Ole would try to sign Maddison, but I can't see how we can fit him in a midfield of 3 with Pogba.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
If it makes you lot feel better I once met Andre Carrilo on the plane in 2015 (he was arguably Sporting best player at the time) him and Sporting were having contract disputes and I asked him to stay in Sporting and not go to one of our rivals. He said "Si si no te preocupes" (Yes yes dont worry) then he signed my Sporting shirt.

1 week later he signed for Benfica.

TWAT.
:lol:

lysglimt

Scout
If it makes you lot feel better I once met Andre Carrilo on the plane in 2015 (he was arguably Sporting best player at the time) him and Sporting were having contract disputes and I asked him to stay in Sporting and not go to one of our rivals. He said "Si si no te preocupes" (Yes yes dont worry) then he signed my Sporting shirt.

1 week later he signed for Benfica.

TWAT.
Still think Delph was worse - that must rank high on biggest betrayals in footballs

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We can have a bunch of stuff in the pipeline - easy. The work style may be that we want to get one deal closed off at a time. It has nothing to do with being thick, no need to talk in another tense. You can direct it to me instead of trying to showcase it.
And whats that based on exactly? Why would any club only work on one transfer at a time? That would be incredibly unproductive and would leave the door open for other clubs to pick up our targets.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I was quite confident we would get him, but I’m not so sure any more unless the price comes down quite a bit. May mean someone else swoops in and just pays what we won’t.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What happened with Delph?
Did this speech about loyalty in football by turning down City to stay at Villa, about a week later he decided to join City anyway :lol:

EDIT: actually was longer than a week, the interview in question:

menfismonk

wan bissaka is done. I don't think about money so we should be quick with this transfer, we need fresh quality and young player for this position as soon as possible. I can't see that pogba is going to leave so bruno and pogba could be great for our center.

DFreshKing

A CEO will be there to challenge, e.g. questioning the long term value or the shory term ROI for an older player. The fact this is about players as opposed to pieces of equipment, or a salesmens book of clients is irrelevant. Woodward is a CEO because he understands commercial value.

Judge and the scouting team are responsible for putting forward the potential investments. A CEO should rarely interfere at this level, but as you say he will need to weigh up the funds available. Additional funding might require an extension of financing terms and this can cost millions in itself. Changing banking covenants requires financial due diligence with internal and external scrutiny and massive up front costs.

Extending contracts is a dual benefit of protecting the value in the assets and reducing investment required. Jones for example is just 27 and undoubtedly would have some commercial value. Extending him is also very likely more economically sensible than buying a new 4/5th choice CB.

Fellaini is a perfect example of that where we made £10m by extending him, less once salary paid for 6m is taken into account but either way that now looks a sensible renewal.

Young similarly would be seen as a versatile, probably relatively cheap renewal. I would imagine his commitment and positive influence were factors taken into account. Ole/ Judge would have led on this, but Woodward will of course overrule decisions that he feels are economically depreciative.

This is relatively mutually exclusive to the subsequent decision of who can be sold and for what return. And a positive action of the renewal could subsequently be a negative action if struggling to sell the player and a future replacement becoming available in this position.

For example, if we can't shift one of our CB's getting an upgrade may not be viable and the overall value could be worse off than having let the player go for free.
How can he understand the commercial value of a footballer if he does not understand the footballer? He may get basics like age, position, wages but to understand the value of a player to a football club he would need to understand a lot more than CEO value and balance sheet figures.

He should not be running the football side of things period. Even if you thought he should have had a go 6 years ago surely the actual experience (and failure) in the role would tell you the bleeding obvious.

thomas porter

Thomas Partey or Lo Celso please.
I would love to see a midfield 3 of Partey holding and Pogba and Bruno in front of them. For 50m euros Thomas is a steal imo and he reminds me of Essien who was another player I absolutely loved.

Johan07

I think with Mata and Pereira (as it seems) staying at the club, Fernandes will not be the type of midfielder we are or should be looking at. Rather an Ndombele-type for me. If Pereira does leave (which I hope): Fernandes and Ndombele in would make more sense

lysglimt

Scout
Did this speech about loyalty in football by turning down City to stay at Villa, about a week later he decided to join City anyway :lol:

The fun-part was that there were so many pundits using Delph as proof that loyalty still existed in football :)

Bestietom

I think with Mata and Pereira (as it seems) staying at the club, Fernandes will not be the type of midfielder we are or should be looking at. Rather an Ndombele-type for me. If Pereira does leave (which I hope): Fernandes and Ndombele in would make more sense
Ndombele in at Spurs. Mate, 65 million.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Haven't seen much of him but his goal return was great last season so I do think he would be good. I wouldn't be all that dissapointed if we didn't sign him though, for whatever reason.

Johan07

SSN. saying it all day.They broke transfer record. Turn it on and see.
I trust Sky as much as the Sun or the Mail tbh. Not saying its not going to happen but so far the only one I have seen confirmed for Spurs is some 18-year old Leeds-kid. We will see I guess.

Robin Your Persie

I trust Sky as much as the Sun or the Mail tbh. Not saying its not going to happen but so far the only one I have seen confirmed for Spurs is some 18-year old Leeds-kid. We will see I guess.
He has been shown around the training ground by Poch apparently, unless something drastic like Madrid coming in at the last minute it looks likely he’ll be a Spurs player next season.

dev1l

Sky and the Sun has the same owner, no?

Gandalf

SSN. saying it all day.They broke transfer record. Turn it on and see.
L'Equipe are reporting that he wants to join but has not agreed personal terms and the clubs are not in agreement over the fee. Aulus wants 80 million and Levy is offering 65 plus some add ons and haggling continues. They are estimating the deal getting done within the next 10 days but it does open the door for someone else to jump in if they want to meet the asking price.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

:lol::lol: Yep that one wins. What a Cnut:nono:

Kostov

I guess this lad is a very good player, even though slightly overrated a bit. Personally I think we are missing a trick not going for Donny van de Beek, who would also be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.