Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearson

We really need a middle fielder with a defensive streak. BF might be a good addition to the squad in terms of improving attacking quality. That is not an area where we desperately need a player to promote quality.

poleglass red

We really need a middle fielder with a defensive streak. BF might be a good addition to the squad in terms of improving attacking quality. That is not an area where we desperately need a player to promote quality.
Need both in reality. We definitely need help creatively even if Pogba stays. As we saw last season, once Pogba gets marked out of the game or doesn't show up we had nothing. Our midfield didn't offer enough cover to our backline either even when we played 2 defensive based mids in Matic and Herrera.One good mobile defensive mid replaces Matic/Herrera allowing another creative type midfielder to come in.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Indeed wasn't like we struggled to create/score goals last season at all right...

Alemar

What is the problem with making a bid? It is just that - a bid, takes a couple of hours to prepare and press “send” button.

Further negotiations and structuring may take time, as well as obtaining corporate approvals for binding documentation, but not making a bid.

Eric's Seagull

I think we are, but a CB is quite clearly the priority and we look to have zero competition for him, so we may as well let them stew.
The problem with letting them stew too long is that we don't give them time to find an adequate replacement and it backfires on us and they tell us to feck off, mate.

0le

He is on a list of players we are looking at for midfield. That is pretty much all we know. We don't know whether he is first choice either. This potential deal will be different because we will only make an offer Sporting will be happy to accept, otherwise they would have to pay Bruno £5m and increase his wage. If we are in for him, then we are probably dealing with the agent to negotiate what offer would be acceptable.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The problem with letting them stew too long is that we don't give them time to find an adequate replacement and it backfires on us and they tell us to feck off, mate.
Supposedly signing Trajkovski, but remember they have longer than we do. Our window closes early, not the Europeans.

UnitedObsession99

A 34 year old Jonas (I've never heard of him) scored 34 goals in 17/18. He won't get half as much time to be shooting from anywhere in the PL.
How about at least watching his technique.

Yes YouTube videos aren't the best, but you can guage certain style points that hold regardless of where you are. E.g. I could see from Fred highlights that he was generally rash and late to challenges and a little sloppy on the ball and exactly what I spotted before i still see at United, no surprises for me. The surprise is more that the scouts didn't see this as being a problem to his £50m price tag.

With Fernandes his style is very snap shot, quick passing and crossing. Everything is done at pace. He would be perfect for the Premiership.

If had scored all his goals lining up like Darren Gibson with a 10 minute run up I'd take your point, but that isn't how he plays.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
How about at least watching his technique.

Yes YouTube videos aren't the best, but you can guage certain style points that hold regardless of where you are. E.g. I could see from Fred highlights that he was generally rash and late to challenges and a little sloppy on the ball and exactly what I spotted before i still see at United, no surprises for me. The surprise is more that the scouts didn't see this as being a problem to his £50m price tag.

With Fernandes his style is very snap shot, quick passing and crossing. Everything is done at pace. He would be perfect for the Premiership.

If had scored all his goals lining up like Darren Gibson with a 10 minute run up I'd take your point, but that isn't how he plays.
All of these assumptions are being done without anyone having watched the guy play. For one Jonas played for by far the best team in the league where it was much easier to score. Secondly Bruno as a midfielder scored 33 goals and assisted 18. That is mental. Lastly people are treating the Portuguese league like it's the MLS. Is it the EPL? Not even close obviously but it is not this Dutch or MLS level league.

Bruno has the qualities, abilities and mental capacity to succeed at a higher level. Just watch the guy actually play.

Stubble

I am still optimistic we are in for him just based on the fact that he hasn't gone anywhere else and noone else seems linked. Would be weird for there to be no interest in such a productive player going at a reasonable price..

vanderpants

Ole has already said Mctominay and Pereira will replace Ander, then you have Pogba, Matic and Fred. For me Bruno was always just the press running with it or maybe his agent pushing for a move out of sporting. We have more chance of seeing Maguire at Utd than Bruno

Reactions: golden_blunder

Eric's Seagull

All of these assumptions are being done without anyone having watched the guy play. For one Jonas played for by far the best team in the league where it was much easier to score. Secondly Bruno as a midfielder scored 33 goals and assisted 18. That is mental. Lastly people are treating the Portuguese league like it's the MLS. Is it the EPL? Not even close obviously but it is not this Dutch or MLS level league.

Bruno has the qualities, abilities and mental capacity to succeed at a higher level. Just watch the guy actually play.
Nice to hear comments coming from someone knows a bit about him mate :)

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Who is Malcolm? Can't see him in Barca's squad.
He's a Brazilian international that signed last season for Barca and is one of the players being offered as a swap for Neymar. Very good player just can't get as much game time because of Dembele.

Andersons Dietician

Be interesting to see what happens here with the news we’ve enquired about Dybala’s availability because I would imagine these two would occupy the same position in a 4231.

I’m not sold on Fernandes and would honestly rather wait a season and get Havertz or at least try.

DSG

Nice to hear comments coming from someone knows a bit about him mate :)
I second this. Everyone on this thread has watched the YouTube clip of Bruno. Point is, if you watch a highlights clip of Pogba, he looks amazing (he is, at times), but you don’t see the times he loses possession in dangerous areas, the slow jog back to defend, the matches he is literally trying to hide on the pitch.

@SportingCP96 — What’s his work rate like? Does he defend with tenacity (like Herrera)? Is he a leader on the pitch? What are his weaknesses? Given that speed of play in the PL is so fast, is this an area of concern?

Eric's Seagull

Be interesting to see what happens here with the news we’ve enquired about Dybala’s availability because I would imagine these two would occupy the same position in a 4231.

I’m not sold on Fernandes and would honestly rather wait a season and get Havertz or at least try.
Bayern are seriously interested in Havertz and many other clubs are supposedly interested in him but he is keeping his options open mate. "I really don't know yet whether Bayern will be the next or right step for me," he said. "I don't know whether going abroad would come into question. I'm not thinking too much about it right now."

SportingCP96

Supports
I second this. Everyone on this thread has watched the YouTube clip of Bruno. Point is, if you watch a highlights clip of Pogba, he looks amazing (he is, at times), but you don’t see the times he loses possession in dangerous areas, the slow jog back to defend, the matches he is literally trying to hide on the pitch.

@SportingCP96 — What’s his work rate like? Does he defend with tenacity (like Herrera)? Is he a leader on the pitch? What are his weaknesses? Given that speed of play in the PL is so fast, is this an area of concern?
He has fantastic work rate he has an engine on him and is up and down the pitch with a lot of frequency helping apply that first line of pressure to the opposition. One of his best attributes in my opinion is that he is a natural leader. He will be the first to set the example to his teammates and lead the way, He is always in the refs face barking at him and contesting calls and he trys to lift his teammates when you can see the tempo of the team is dropping. As for the speed of the EPL I think he will be fine in that aspect he is a quick thinker and a snap shot sort of guy. He has great vision and is a great passer and his best attribute is for sure his long shooting ability which is lethal. Especially for teams who drop back to defend.

This brings me to his weakness. As the quote goes "You live by the sword you die by the sword" as good as his long shooting ability is it sometimes could be his downfall. This tends to happen when he is having a bad game or he feels the team is not being able to create anything up front he will take it on himself and try to shoot himself/team out of a slump. This obviously could lead to wasted possessions.

He hits them with high frequency and his shots create goal scoring chances when they are parried but like I said he can tend to try to shoot his way out of a slump. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

I said a while ago in this thread what I thought his Ceiling was potential wise but I’ll say it again just in case you or other people didn't see it. I think he has the potential to be a Christian Erickson level player in the EPL or a discount KDB. But I think the Erickson ceiling makes more sense. Hope this helped :)

DSG

He has fantastic work rate he has an engine on him and is up and down the pitch with a lot of frequency helping apply that first line of pressure to the opposition. One of his best attributes in my opinion is that he is a natural leader. He will be the first to set the example to his teammates and lead the way, He is always in the refs face barking at him and contesting calls and he trys to lift his teammates when you can see the tempo of the team is dropping. As for the speed of the EPL I think he will be fine in that aspect he is a quick thinker and a snap shot sort of guy. He has great vision and is a great passer and his best attribute is for sure his long shooting ability which is lethal. Especially for teams who drop back to defend.

This brings me to his weakness. As the quote goes "You live by the sword you die by the sword" as good as his long shooting ability is it sometimes could be his downfall. This tends to happen when he is having a bad game or he feels the team is not being able to create anything up front he will take it on himself and try to shoot himself/team out of a slump. This obviously could lead to wasted possessions.

He hits them with high frequency and his shots create goal scoring chances when they are parried but like I said he can tend to try to shoot his way out of a slump. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

I said a while ago in this thread what I thought his Ceiling was potential wise but I’ll say it again just in case you or other people didn't see it. I think he has the potential to be a Christian Erickson level player in the EPL or a discount KDB. But I think the Erickson ceiling makes more sense. Hope this helped :)
That’s a great overview. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

We need a midfielder with guts and high work rate. We need one that can hit bombs from distance. We need a leader. If he can lead the team, give great effort, and bag 10 goals and 10 assists per season, he’s worth 50-60m in my mind.

SteveW

How many goals would Pogba, Longstaff and Fernandes get between them I wonder? Pogba and Fernandes score heaps and Longstaff looks like he strikes the ball even better than either of them. It would be nice to get a good haul of goals from midfield for a change.

SportingCP96

Supports
How many goals would Pogba, Longstaff and Fernandes get between them I wonder? Pogba and Fernandes score heaps and Longstaff looks like he strikes the ball even better than either of them. It would be nice to get a good haul of goals from midfield for a change.
Im not sure longstaff can hit a ball as sweetly as Bruno can with the dip and swerve he gets on the ball.

Granted I could be biased because I have only seen longstaff through YouTube but judging off of the way they strike a ball I think Bruno hits them better.

SteveW

Im not sure longstaff can hit a ball as sweetly as Bruno can with the dip and swerve he gets on the ball.

Granted I could be biased because I have only seen longstaff through YouTube but judging off of the way they strike a ball I think Bruno hits them better.
Longstaff just wallops them in with power Scholes style. Fernandes hits dippy swervy ones. To me the former is a cleaner kind of strike but that might just be personal preference. It's not something I have any interest in getting dragged into a pointless debate about to be honest.

I'd love if we signed both.

buckooo1978

when a guy with his talent is available for 50/60 you have to be on it

I understand the need for a DM but theres absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be buying 2 midfielders plus a CB

we've seen Fellaini and Herrera leave. Looking ahead you'd question if we will see any of Pogba, Matic, Pereira or Fred in the 2020-2021 season for reasons of wanting to leave and needing moved on

Better to invest in midfield now that he is available

Bernardo Silva looked similar level perhaps and he's coped extremely well.... he was actually my player of the year last year behind Van Dijk

Get it done

SportingCP96

Supports
Longstaff just wallops them in with power Scholes style. Fernandes hits dippy swervy ones. To me the former is a cleaner kind of strike but that might just be personal preference. It's not something I have any interest in getting dragged into a pointless debate about to be honest.

I'd love if we signed both.
I wasn’t going to debate it either haha like I said I only ever saw him through YouTube so I could be biased which is why I would not debate something I don’t know about for sure.

SteveW

I wasn’t going to debate it either haha like I said I only ever saw him through YouTube so I could be biased which is why I would not debate something I don’t know about for sure.
What's the feeling from Sporting supporters? where do you think he ends up?

SportingCP96

Supports
What's the feeling from Sporting supporters? where do you think he ends up?
I think most are convinced he will end up at United but the closer it gets to August 8th the more chances we have of keeping him.

I think United might be trying to low ball too much and that’s why it has not gone through. If United just say 60M with add ons I think Sporting will take it.

Adcuth

Scored a pen tonight but when it went to pens he didn't take one???? What's that about

George The Best

Really can’t see this happening unless it’s a deadline day deal. My opinion, and that’s all it is, we are after Maguire and Longstaff as priorities.

Gandalf

Really can’t see this happening unless it’s a deadline day deal. My opinion, and that’s all it is, we are after Maguire and Longstaff as priorities.
Agree with Maguire but I think Longstaff is dead as a doornail. I think we were trying to do the right thing for once and buy a young talent before he was established but Ashley decided to quote a price that was more than double our valuation. I just can't see Ed sanctioning more than 25m for a young talent and it would require a massive climbdown now for Newcastle to take that.

With Bruno I get the feeling he is the player most likely to come in if Lukaku goes. Ole wants a 4-2-3-1 and clearly sees Rashford and Martial and maybe even Sanchez as the forward in that system so I think any money we reinvest will go to the midfield rather than another striker.

It makes sense from a monetary view too. If we get the 75m we want for Lukaku and add it to the 60m we allegedly already offered for Maguire we can then turn around and offer 55m for Bruno and up the Maguire offer to the 80m lump sum that will supposedly get the deal done. Pretty sure both Leicester and Sporting will jump on those offers.

SportingCP96

Supports
He got a goal and an assist tonight and nearly scored a freekick too. We are fecked when he leaves.

SportingCP96

Supports
You seem pretty excited for him to tho- guessing you’re a united fan as well?
I’m a Sporting fan through and through BUT I grew up watching United every morning at 7am and then I would watch Sporting in the afternoon and remember telling my friends my heart was half red and half green. I watched United because Of Ronaldo and Nani but then even after he left I could not stop watching United. As I grew older though my heart always grew closer to Sporting especially with the connection I have to them and living nearby by the stadium etc.

I am a Sporting fan but I have a very big soft sport for United, they are part of my childhood and I can’t forget that. I hope they win every single game besides when they play Sporting aha.

NoPace

Who is Malcolm? Can't see him in Barca's squad.
He's a left-footed RW, lacks top end pace (not slow but not fast enough to be a proper star) but otherwise very good overall attacking winger. I think he'd walk into our team at RW and it would be James and Martial fighting for the left-sided spot with Rashford of course up top.

I continue to remain completely confused and upset that the club hasn't brought in him, Neres, Ziyech or even some less proven young winger they like that I haven't seen enough to feel strongly about like Brais Mendez or Skov even a previously elite prospect/young player who has remade his career and should be hitting their prime right about now like Deulofeu or Berardi (who was expected to be great but stagnated and has since rebuilt his career and is 24, seems like the kind of guy who would be excited to come here and not an insane fee, though I don't watch enough to have a strong opinion).

It just seems bizarre to me that the club hasn't found a RW available for 20 or 30M in the entire world that they think can sign for us and improve. Especially since the Prem's inflated fees mean we could basically bankroll it with a sale of Lingard and Rojo, who I don't think anyone expects to be manifestly better than their competition from the younger ranks like Pereira/Gomez for Lingard or Tuanzebe for Rojo.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I would not be signing another player who excells at similar things as Pogba. It was already a problem with Fred.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You don't need to watch a lot of someone who has..
32 goals, 18 assists in 52 games in 18/19
16 goals, 20 assists in 56 games in 17/18

He only turns 25 in September so these are relatively break through years. Call the Portugese league weak, but those stats are incredible.

I've watched all his goals and assists this year as well and what you see with him is a dynamic energetic confidence. Can shoot from distance, accurate with free kicks, supreme penalty confidence. Incredible vision, can cross or pass.

He also has the energy to track back.

His weakness is maybe that he can be a bit loose on the ball. He gets dispossed and has bad touches a couple of times a game. This could be worse in the Prem. In this sense he doesn't have the game control of someone like Savic, but his eye for goal creating opportunities will easily make up for that.

As always it would be nice if we had someone more energetic than Matic behind or alongside him.

Don't be of any doubt this is one of the most exciting signings on the market.
The stats is impressive but the league is not. There's no guarantee he can even repeat anywhere near half of this in Premier league. The thing is, whenever I watch his footage, other than goals against low quality opponents, I don't see anything else to suggest his will be a good midfielder here. But I hope I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.