Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Judging by the comments on work rate and pressing, it would seem more suitable to play Fernandes deeper, rather than Pogba.

Patrick08

A portugese James Maddison. He won't provide any balance to the first team but could be a good sub to pogba, dont know weather he would like to play that role or not.

sam147

We should definitely sign him. Should've got him when he was available for free. Its obvious Pogba will leave, if not this summer then the next. We should already have someone ready to takeover his role. If we sign him he can play RCM against weaker teams and cover for Pogba when he gets rested. Fernandes+Rabiot for CM spots and Koulibaly for CB with Griezmann coming in and maybe Tierney for competition with Shaw. Thats how a serious club who makes as much revenue as we do should behave. Especially if anyone on the board cares its City and Lpool competing for the top. Fernandes can provide the creativity we lack.

Judas

Open to offers
We should definitely sign him. Should've got him when he was available for free. Its obvious Pogba will leave, if not this summer then the next. We should already have someone ready to takeover his role. If we sign him he can play RCM against weaker teams and cover for Pogba when he gets rested. Fernandes+Rabiot for CM spots and Koulibaly for CB with Griezmann coming in and maybe Tierney for competition with Shaw. Thats how a serious club who makes as much revenue as we do should behave. Especially if anyone on the board cares its City and Lpool competing for the top. Fernandes can provide the creativity we lack.
You think a "serious club" would look to long term replace Pogba with Bruno Fernandez? Am I reading that right?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Judging by the comments on work rate and pressing, it would seem more suitable to play Fernandes deeper, rather than Pogba.
I think so too. Those saying otherwise seems to think he is too good attacking wise to play deeper. I would love to see Pogba next to a player that can create chances for him AND force the other team to be less focused on Pogba.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They should play in a 4-3-3 besides eachother with a DM behind them rather than a 4-2-3-1. Bruno Fernandes is great at pressing from the front he's not really a defensive player.

sam147

You think a "serious club" would look to long term replace Pogba with Bruno Fernandez? Am I reading that right?
I said a serious club would already have Fernandes there to replace Pogba if he leaves. Currently, if Pogba leaves we have zero creativity. Herrera is overrated by fans because he runs up and down the pitch. Matic is a DM. Fred is more a play dictator. We need Fernandes for his creativity. If the day comes we can use him to cover for Pogba while we sign a replacement. There is a thing called strength in depth, not sure if you've heard about it.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
I have seen the guy's highlights he's good.

I think we can play him beside Pogba against weaker oppositions, we struggle to create against against weaker oppositions because the creative burden is on Pogba alone.

Martial.... ...... Rashford..........Sancho/Lingard
............ Pogba................Bruno...........
..........................Herrera..............
Shaw..... Smalling/New cb.... VNL.....Dalot/RB

Can't we play this formation?

ATXRedDevil

I have seen the guy's highlights he's good.

I think we can play him beside Pogba against weaker oppositions, we struggle to create against against weaker oppositions because the creative burden is on Pogba alone.

Martial.... ...... Rashford..........Sancho/Lingard
............ Pogba................Bruno...........
..........................Herrera..............
Shaw..... Smalling/New cb.... VNL.....Dalot/RB

Can't we play this formation?
That’s exactly how I would see him fitting in, or playing at the tip of a diamond.

Jib

Not the type of midfielder we need if we want to build around Pogba.

Maybe the rumour about Zidane badly wanting Pogba is true ?

Because it's make nonsense to go after an attacking midfielder when you need a controler behind Pogba...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
45M probably less that's how stupid the board is.
That will be second highest transfer fee received by Portuguese club isn't it?

Going by transfermarkt,
Militao - 50 million.
James - 45m
Ederson - 40m

Also record fee for Sporting, only player close is Joao Mario.

Devil may care

Bruno works his ass off for the team, he's a goal-oriented midfielder but his pressing game is outstanding.

A 4-3-3 with a DM behind Pogba and Bruno Fernandes would work. The problem is I don't think you have the right player at the club already. Matic at his best would be great but I'm not convinced he's the answer on current form.
Pressing is only half the game, Herrera doesn't just press he gets back and covers the fullback and the holding midfielder, making important interceptions and tackles, in the PL that is pretty important and takes defensive experience and nous, not just energy.

I'm not sure it would and for it to have any chance you'd need a Casemiro or Fernandinho level DM.

Wallez

@Devil may care I agree that Herrera puts in a solid shift defensively, covering for Matic and Young. However, Matic and Young should not need this kind of support, and they should be replaced if this is the case. If a dominant team like Manchester United are going to play 433, you need a DM that is defensively solid, while both CMs have to contribute greatly to the offensive side of the game. Our setup with Matic behind Pogba and Herrera has shown to be too defensive minded, and I think we need a player like Bruno Fernandes or Christian Eriksen to replace Herrera and solve this problem.

Devil may care

@Devil may care I agree that Herrera puts in a solid shift defensively, covering for Matic and Young. However, Matic and Young should not need this kind of support, and they should be replaced if this is the case. If a dominant team like Manchester United are going to play 433, you need a DM that is defensively solid, while both CMs have to contribute greatly to the offensive side of the game. Our setup with Matic behind Pogba and Herrera has shown to be too defensive minded, and I think we need a player like Bruno Fernandes or Christian Eriksen to replace Herrera and solve this problem.
I agree with your general point but only City play that way in the PL, nearly every other team has the extra CM that is more defensive leaning, and that's due to the nature of the league IMO. City get away with it because they have the best tactical attacking coach in the world, which allows them to defend by way of having the ball so much.

The Irish Connection

Never watched him before, but from the few YouTube vids I’ve looked at in the last hour he looks quality. Looks to have as good a shot as Ruben neves and similar passing range.
If he could even get half the stats he has this season in the pl he’d be a good signing. Can he play as a deeper midfielder does anyone know?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
That will be second highest transfer fee received by Portuguese club isn't it?

Going by transfermarkt,
Militao - 50 million.
James - 45m
Ederson - 40m

Also record fee for Sporting, only player close is Joao Mario.
In todays inflated market he is worth minimum 60M. There are average players being sold for 30M.

SportingCP96

Supports
Aaargh, so you rate him quite high then? Sorry, haven't been following much of the thread. Seen his stats and some of his goals though :eek: :drool:.
Best Player to wear the green and white in the last decade. Sadly think he is gone though.

SportingCP96

Supports
Never watched him before, but from the few YouTube vids I’ve looked at in the last hour he looks quality. Looks to have as good a shot as Ruben neves and similar passing range.
If he could even get half the stats he has this season in the pl he’d be a good signing. Can he play as a deeper midfielder does anyone know?
No never played there and also taking him away from goal takes away his obvious goal scoring ability and one of his main tools which is his ability to shoot a rocket anywhere from 30 yards and onwards .

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
45M probably less that's how stupid the board is.
Sadly yea, selling him will always be bad but this current board is a pushover and i doubt they would be able of reaching decent numbers.

Who would you liken him to?
In terms of PL i would say he reminds me of Lampard. Similar spirit and desire to win, wanting to push the game forward to the oponent goal, great pass range, great stamina and one hell of a shot.

Last edited:

RedNed77

Looks decent, but going off YouTube vids, I'd probably rather have Joao Felix. Will have both though if that's an option :keano:.

ValenciaRocks

Feck! I know YT player vids can be decieveing but damn this guy as amazing awareness and passing ability. Not to mention those rocket shots!

He looks like he'd be perfect alongside Pogba in a 433. The fluid counters would be disgustingly good.

I really do think we should play Herrera as the defensive midfielder too. He can read the game very well and is hard working. Matic can be used alongside Herrera vs the better teams.

--------------- DDG --------------
Dalot --- New CB --- Lindelof --- Shaw
------------- Herrera -------------
------ Bruno ------- Pogba ------
Rashford ----------------- Martial
------------- Lukaku -------------

If we get Sancho then him and Lingard for rotation.

SportingCP96

Supports
Who would you liken him to?
Lampard comes to mind because of the goal scoring ability but this kid is a real talent it is not a joke when I say without him we would be in 7th place. Shot, passing range, tactical awareness, LEADERSHIP, and over all Quality is how o=I would describe him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He reminds me of a Tennis player with a booming serve with little else. Could be wrong of course..

flappyjay

I feel like he is the kind of gamble you take when you already have a great midfield. If he flops it sucks but at least your season wasn't based on him doing well. If he does well then you have another great option. Like how Hagreaves was expected to have instant impact whilst Anderson was seen as a long term option who would not play a lot in 7/08 but ended up being an important option which was pleasant

redasian

Wow. Looks to have a hell of a shot on him. Rashford and Pogba can belt one but I can't remember having anyone in our squad consistently good with potshots from distance post-Scholesy - Rooney could hit them, but not consistently. I mean the kind where when the player lines up the shot you know it'll sting the keeper's palms a little at the least.

Get this guy just for the screamers, would be fun to watch.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Just read that this guy has scored 23 goals from midfield this season, and it's not even the end of March. He's also broken the scoring record for a Sporting player in a single season (seems a very low record). Either way, that's an astonishing haul for a central midfielder.

Aloysius's Back 3

Just read that this guy has scored 23 goals from midfield this season, and it's not even the end of March. He's also broken the scoring record for a Sporting player in a single season (seems a very low record). Either way, that's an astonishing haul for a central midfielder.
I think he plays as an AM but has the ability to play as a CM.

Stacks

He is, got injured at the start of the international break. Would have been a starter otherwise.

Bruno Fernandes has been carrying Sporting in a way I don’t remember watching any player doing. I’m not sure if it’s because he’s that great or that everyone else is just shit though. I’m increasingly careful when rating players playing in Portugal since I believe the gap between our league and the top leagues is getting bigger.

He plays as the third most advanced midfielder.

He presses a lot and never stops running (Klopp would love him), has an incredible shot on him, he’s a good creative passer and a very dynamic player without the ball. As for weaknesses, I’d say he’s quite weak physically although he makes up for it with a lot of heart and he’s more goal oriented than a midfielder that will control matches.

He obviously deserves to take a step up but I’m not sure going to Manchester would be good for either him or United. With Pogba there he definitely wouldn’t be starting, I think he should go to a team like Napoli or Liverpool who could do with an improvement in midfield and are more suited to his style of play.

This rumour has been going on for a while but I don’t believe he’s the right player for United or that United is the right team for him.
Surely he is in for Matic or Herrera?

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
Broke the record for a midfielder playing for Sporting.

deadrevelz

Never seen him play. From the posts on here it sounds like he isn't good enough which I can't comment on. However the descriptions of him as long range goal scoring midfielder with energy to press sound intriguing. Maybe similar to Lampard's role?

Would he replace Mata, Pereira, Fred? A sub to bring on for Matic when we are chasing a goal? Or just a back up for Pogba?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Why wasn't he in the Portugal national squad for the recent games?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bruno works his ass off for the team, he's a goal-oriented midfielder but his pressing game is outstanding.

A 4-3-3 with a DM behind Pogba and Bruno Fernandes would work. The problem is I don't think you have the right player at the club already. Matic at his best would be great but I'm not convinced he's the answer on current form.
This coupled with Ole saying he wants to build the "hardest working, most fit" Man Utd side suggests the link may be true.

If we kept Herrera, can he work in a 3 with Ander and Pogba? Lots of energy right there :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.