Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

Guy has an incredible strike on him that's for sure.

Sanche7

14 goals and 11 assists so far this season
From WhoScored

Bruno Fernandes Characteristics
+ Strengths
Crossing - Very Strong
Key passes - Very Strong
Long shots - Very Strong
Taking set-pieces - Very Strong
Direct free-kicks - Strong
Dribbling - Strong
Finishing - Strong
Passing - Strong
Through balls _Strong
Defensive contribution - Strong

- Weaknesses
Tackling - Weak

Bruno Fernandes's Style of Play
  • Plays the ball off the ground often
  • Likes to do layoffs
  • Likes to cut inside
  • Likes to play long balls
  • Gets fouled often
That looks more like the list of things our midfield lacks!!
If he's anything close to that, get him, get him now

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wouldn't want him personally. I've seen quite a bit of him, and he is good, but he's not the type of CM we need in my opinion. We need a DM (if Herrera goes and assuming Matic is done) and a playmaker who can create and keep the ball under pressure which isn't one of Bruno's strong points, imo. The keeping the ball under pressure bit. He's a tad lightweight from what I've seen.

The only time I'd want him is if Pogba goes as he'd suit that type of role but, even then, it's a big step down so he wouldn't be my first choice for that role either.

deadrevelz

If he was cheap he would be a great option to have. McTominay might be miffed though, he looked like he was loving his advanced role against Wolves.

deadrevelz

He'll probably cost more than Fred did though.
From what I've read and heard from the Portuguese posters on here, unless there is a bidding war they will have to sell him quite cheaply due to their financial situation. Could be a bargain at £40m.

ArjenIsM3

From what I've read and heard from the Portuguese posters on here, unless there is a bidding war they will have to sell him quite cheaply due to their financial situation. Could be a bargain at £40m.
Read that too but from what I've read they'd rather sell anybody but him.

Judas

Open to offers
If he was cheap he would be a great option to have. McTominay might be miffed though, he looked like he was loving his advanced role against Wolves.
He made some good runs and did well for the goal obviously, but I was absolutely baffled to see him playing so advanced and Pogba deeper, seemed utterly odd.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He made some good runs and did well for the goal obviously, but I was absolutely baffled to see him playing so advanced and Pogba deeper, seemed utterly odd.
As bad as this is, I think that's because Pogba is the only trusted midfielder to be able to move the ball out of defensive areas against an organised team.

Says a lot about our midfield and defenders (on the ball).

Judas

Open to offers
As bad as this is, I think that's because Pogba is the only trusted midfielder to be able to move the ball out of defensive areas against an organised team.

True, that's probably it. Fred makes me nervous every single time he does it as he needs so many touches to get the ball under control.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Sporting are going to most likely make a lot of sales this summer and I think they will do everything possible to make sure Bruno is not one of them.

Bas Dost,Coates, Acuna can all bring in some decent funds along with other players who are surplus. Along with that I feel Sporting want to try to keep him until Euro 2020 ( 1 more season) in hoped to get an even higher transfer fee with his performances.

Portuguese Media also reporting that along with United Atletico and Chelsea also are keen on him though United are the most interested at the moment.

Sportings alleged plan next season is to make a squad of the players loaned out along with youth which could mean they save a lot of money to potentially hold on to Fernandes one more season. (highly unlikely though)

Devil may care

Yep, that's why I don't get the Caf's love of limited players like Rice and Ndidi, we need more top technical players who are comfortable on the ball and pass it well consistently.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Yep, that's why I don't get the Caf's love of limited players like Rice and Ndidi, we need more top technical players who are comfortable on the ball and pass it well consistently.
Yeah that's true. I do think that if we had CBs that could pass a ball well then you can get away with not having a top technical player (ie Carrick or Scholes level) in the holding role. Ideally you'd get somebody that can do both, but players like Kante have a good enough passing range to be able to thread a ball between players to more advanced midfielders. It's quite shocking how much we struggle with this.

-Supreme-

We need technical and hard working players that is able to press, just like Man City midfielders.

Unfortunately none of our midfielders has this ability

JohnnyLaw

I don’t know about Ndidi and I haven’t watched that much of Rice either but I caught the game against Everton and I thought he looked classy in it. He’s not a great passer from what I’ve seen but he showed really good awareness, a good touch and the strenght and change of pace to get by when pressured. Imagined that’s how a younger version of Matic would have looked like or perhaps even sharing some similarities with Kanté.

I don’t think Herrera has the quality to be a consistant starter for us wether he signs a new contract with us or not so in a near future there’s going to be a need for a new number eight in the side anyways. Getting Rice as a shield for two attacking playmakers in Pogba +1 (Bruno Fernandes for example) wouldn’t not make sense to me.

I know you’ve championed Rodri who I haven’t watched at all but I compared his whoscored stats to Rices and they’re almost identical in most departments. Will have to look at some clips to see what you mean.

Last edited:

ash_86

Found this stat on reddit:

Bruno Fernandes is one goal away from reaching Frank Lampard's record of most goals scored by a midfielder in a season (27 goals).

That's incredible.

Devil may care

Yeah that's true. I do think that if we had CBs that could pass a ball well then you can get away with not having a top technical player (ie Carrick or Scholes level) in the holding role. Ideally you'd get somebody that can do both, but players like Kante have a good enough passing range to be able to thread a ball between players to more advanced midfielders. It's quite shocking how much we struggle with this.
Ideally you want your CB's and CM's to be comfortable on the ball in the modern game, especially with the ambitions we supposedly have and the prices and wages we pay, but obviously this isn't always the case, however I think it's easier to find the holder with the technical attributes than the CB, especially for the PL where the CB still requires a physical element to his game first and foremost.

We need technical and hard working players that is able to press, just like Man City midfielders.

Unfortunately none of our midfielders has this ability
All players should be hard working in truth, the fact some skate by with being is irritating, but I agree with your overall point.

I don’t know about Ndidi and I haven’t watched that much of Rice either but I caught the game against Everton and I thought he looked classy in it. He’s not a great passer from what I’ve seen but he showed really good awareness, a good touch and the strenght and change of pace to get by when pressured. Imagined that’s how a younger version of Matic would have looked like or perhaps even sharing some similarities with Kanté.

I don’t think Herrera has the quality to be a consistant starter for us wether he signs a new contract with us or not so in a near future there’s going to be a need for a new number eight in the side anyways. Getting Rice as a shield for two attacking playmakers in Pogba +1 (Bruno Fernandes for example) wouldn’t not make sense to me.

I know you’ve championed Rodri who I haven’t watched at all but I compared his whoscored stats to Rices and they’re almost identical in most departments. Will have to look at some clips to see what you mean.
Rice has good positional awareness I agree, I've been impressed with that each time I've seen him, but I don't think he's good enough on the ball and for me that is crucial in midfield, even Wolves were mugging us off the other night, passing circles around us and Ole'ing us. I want all 3 midfielders in our team to be good in possession and able to resist the press.

As far as the Herrera part goes, I think he's off and I agree with your general point, but I think when Pogba is one of those #8's the other has to have more about them physically than Bruno Fernandes, and I think you need a DM with more experience to play in that difficult lone holding role when you're using two more attack minded CM's ahead of him.

I don't know what the stats say and Rodri does play for arguably the most conservative and negative top 10 side in Europe, but having watched both the eye test I think shows Rodri is quite clearly better technically and a better passer, I also think he's more agile.

SATA

So he's everything in what we wish for from Pogba? Except not quite as good as the latter but more capably consistent?

SportingCP96

Supports

Bruno Fernandes is one goal away from reaching Frank Lampard's record of most goals scored by a midfielder in a season (27 goals).

That's incredible.
I reckon he will get to 30 goals at least which for a midfielder is absolutely outrageous.

Mcking

I am not usually convinced by non-center forwards whose reputation are relatively built on goals, especially when most of them come in a single season. In case he struggles to replicate such goalscoring prowess with us, what are we left with? @SportingCP96

SportingCP96

Supports
I am not usually convinced by non-center forwards whose reputation are relatively built on goals, especially when most of them come in a single season. In case he struggles to replicate such goalscoring prowess with us, what are we left with? @SportingCP96
Goals are guaranteed from him because of the manner In which he gets them and his awareness. This season he will hit 30 but even if you remove this season and we go by what he did last season he hit 16 goals along with nagging 17 assists. This season he is at 26 goals with 13 assists so besides his goals you have a player who can create goal scoring opportunities for his teammates as shown by his assist numbers.

If you ignore the goals just his ability to shoot from range makes chances and goal scoring opportunities for his teammates. This season and last Sporting scored many goals off of rebound from his shots from distance as keepers can’t hold on to the ball so they either Perry it in front of them or it goes out for a corner in which case you have another goal scoring opportunity. This comes in handy especially against those teams you can’t break down and park a bus.

Next up is his set piece ability he has turned into a great free kick taker this season and also is good at corners.

In terms of what you would be getting in midfield you get a guy with an engine who runs up and down the field for 90 minutes and fights for every ball and pushes his team forward. On the offensive side his stats say it all he is a goal threat whether it be by scoring or assisting he has a great passing range and quality to open up defenses with his passing and through balls. He is a goal scoring midfielder but also a created which makes him very dangerous.

2017/18
Goals: 16(3 penalties)
Assists : 17

2018/19
Goals:26(3 penalties)
Assists: 13

Mcking

Goals are guaranteed from him because of the manner In which he gets them and his awareness. This season he will hit 30 but even if you remove this season and we go by what he did last season he hit 16 goals along with nagging 17 assists. This season he is at 26 goals with 13 assists so besides his goals you have a player who can create goal scoring opportunities for his teammates as shown by his assist numbers.

If you ignore the goals just his ability to shoot from range makes chances and goal scoring opportunities for his teammates. This season and last Sporting scored many goals off of rebound from his shots from distance as keepers can’t hold on to the ball so they either Perry it in front of them or it goes out for a corner in which case you have another goal scoring opportunity. This comes in handy especially against those teams you can’t break down and park a bus.

Next up is his set piece ability he has turned into a great free kick taker this season and also is good at corners.

In terms of what you would be getting in midfield you get a guy with an engine who runs up and down the field for 90 minutes and fights for every ball and pushes his team forward. On the offensive side his stats say it all he is a goal threat whether it be by scoring or assisting he has a great passing range and quality to open up defenses with his passing and through balls. He is a goal scoring midfielder but also a created which makes him very dangerous.

2017/18

2018/19
I'm just skeptic that despite his obvious shooting prowess, he didn't score much for Sampdoria. Probably had to do with the positions and roles he played there.
Sounds like a proper attacking midfielder though and you seem to be a big fan of his.

RedDevilRoshi

The more I read about this guy and watch clips of him, the more I am warming to him as a very good sensible signing we could make. Having said, no doubt he will end up at a Juventus or a Bayern Munich :rolleyes:

SportingCP96

Supports
I'm just skeptic that despite his obvious shooting prowess, he didn't score much for Sampdoria. Probably had to do with the positions and roles he played there.
Sounds like a proper attacking midfielder though and you seem to be a big fan of his.
Sampdoria he wasn’t really playing as much but in Udinese he was a starter at many points at 18 and 19 and got heaps of praise from the likes of Antonio Di Natale.

He had over 100 appearances in serie A by the age of 21 I think that says a lot as well.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

2017/18

2018/19
Who was the last attacking player to go out of Portugese league and become a hit ? Not trying to be a WUM but trying to do a comparison with the numbers .

SportingCP96

Supports
Who was the last attacking player to go out of Portugese league and become a hit ? Not trying to be a WUM but trying to do a comparison with the numbers .
Ummm off the top of my head without much thinking I would say Falcão? Hulk did pretty well albeit in Russia, rodrigo did pretty well. Jackson Martines flopped hard and besides that’s there has not been much attacking players leaving the league it’s been mostly midfielders and defenders once again off the top of my head because I am currently at work.

But in terms of Portuguese players leaving the league and doing well you have plenty. Nelson semedo is a starter at Barca . Cancelo at Valencia and then inter and Juve , William in Betis , Gelson in Monaco, Adrien in Monaco , Ruben Neves with wolves, Diogo jota, Rui Patrício, Bruma for a bit ( he makes the worst career choices possible because he could have been at a top top club by now)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ummm off the top of my head without much thinking I would say Falcão? Hulk did pretty well albeit in Russia, rodrigo did pretty well. Jackson Martines flopped hard and besides that’s there has not been much attacking players leaving the league it’s been mostly midfielders and defenders once again off the top of my head because I am currently at work.

But in terms of Portuguese players leaving the league and doing well you have plenty. Nelson semedo is a starter at Barca . Cancelo at Valencia and then inter and Juve , William in Betis , Gelson in Monaco, Adrien in Monaco , Ruben Neves with wolves, Diogo jota, Rui Patrício, Bruma for a bit ( he makes the worst career choices possible because he could have been at a top top club by now)
B.Silva is also from Portuguese league isn't it. This is ignoring players like Nani we signed 10 years ago.

B.Silva, James, Raul Jimenez, Di Maria, Rodrigo. Then you have so many defenders and Midfielders who did well.

SportingCP96

Supports
B.Silva is also from Portuguese league isn't it. This is ignoring players like Nani we signed 10 years ago.

B.Silva, James, Raul Jimenez, Di Maria, Rodrigo. Then you have so many defenders and Midfielders who did well.
Yes Silva too and all those guys the Portuguese league players usually does well when they make the jump. Its a better league then most give it credit for well let me correct that the big 3 are a lot better then people give them credit for, they always do well in Europe (for the most part) and facing them away is never easy.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He’s getting overrated here by @SportingCP96, playing in Portugal for a mediocre Sporting team and in a United team wanting to surpass these Liverpool and City teams is extremely different. Adrien and João Mário were also great and look what happened.

He’s not good enough to be at the very top. He’ll cost 60 million minimum because he’s worth that much to us and we’d be midtable without him... that’s a lot of money for a player that will be a very good option to have but not quite good enough to become an automatic starter and one of the best midfielders in the league. He’d be a signing on the same line as Fekir, great option to have but for the price he’ll cost you’d hope for a player that’s as good as any midfielder in the league imo.

Bruno is a worse version of Kevin De Bruyne, I said earlier Lampard was the closest comparison in terms of style of play but I had forgotten about De Bruyne. That’s definitely the best comparison in terms of style, lots of attacking attributes combined with a great willingness to press the opposition and break on the counter.

Goalscoring is setting him apart but there’s no chance that continues in a proper team. Should go to a team like Arsenal or Napoli rather than to a team with so much pressure to be at the very top.

I really do not believe he’ll be a success in a United shirt if this happens. Some players are just not meant to play at certain clubs and I think that’s one of those cases.

sherrinford

That's incredible.
Has he actually played the whole season very much as a midfielder? It’s a great tally regardless.

Anyone know how many Ballack scored in his last season at Leverkusen? He must have been close to that total from Lampard.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yes Silva too and all those guys the Portuguese league players usually does well when they make the jump. Its a better league then most give it credit for well let me correct that the big 3 are a lot better then people give them credit for, they always do well in Europe (for the most part) and facing them away is never easy.
He’s getting overrated here by @SportingCP96, playing in Portugal for a mediocre Sporting team and in a United team wanting to surpass these Liverpool and City teams is extremely different. Adrien and João Mário were also great and look what happened.

He’s not good enough to be at the very top. He’ll cost 60 million minimum because he’s worth that much to us and we’d be midtable without him... that’s a lot of money for a player that will be a very good option to have but not quite good enough to become an automatic starter and one of the best midfielders in the league. He’d be a signing on the same line as Fekir, great option to have but for the price he’ll cost you’d hope for a player that’s as good as any midfielder in the league imo.

Bruno is a worse version of Kevin De Bruyne, I said earlier Lampard was the closest comparison in terms of style of play but I had forgotten about De Bruyne. That’s definitely the best comparison in terms of style, lots of attacking attributes combined with a great willingness to press the opposition and break on the counter.

Goalscoring is setting him apart but there’s no chance that continues in a proper team. Should go to a team like Arsenal or Napoli rather than to a team with so much pressure to be at the very top.

I really do not believe he’ll be a success in a United shirt if this happens. Some players are just not meant to play at certain clubs and I think that’s one of those cases.
Well what's the truth then? Even SP fans can't make their minds up:lol:

sherrinford

Why is there no chance that his goalscoring feats continue on to another club? Surely the notion that you would be a mid table club without him indicates his quality? And there’s really no shame in being a lesser De Bruyne, as he can be a bit special.

Status
Not open for further replies.