Bruno, Fred, McT

UnitedFan93

We're not winning the league any time soon with ole in charge. We can't play like Pool and they are not the model to follow, you know why? We're not being coached by klopp. No one is consistent at the club. Not a single player. One day Bruno can pass, the next day he's playing for the opposition. Only the Lord knows what you're gonna get from Fred and Scotty McT quite simply isn't good enough.

The transfer window maybe closed but you don't need it to be open to find a new coach, that should be the first order of business. City win the ball back quickly and they don't need cloggers in there. There are no solutions are the club currently, big changes have to be made. You can move players areal you want, it won't change a damn thing.
We've played four games and people are seriously asking for a new coach. OK we've had a mixed start but so has every other big team. Now is not the time to be changing managers, plus there is literally no manager out there that will provide us with the 'golden ticket' to success. It would be madness, spend all summer trying to sign Ole's targets and then get rid of him after 4 games. If we were thinking of sacking managers we should have done it straight after the Leicester match on the final game of last season, but like I said, who would we appoint? Pochettino? What happens if he has a wobble? Should we just go for the next flavour of the month manager that has recently been sacked that's waiting on the sidelines?

A-man

Bruno - Fred — McT

One more injury and that’s our new back line.

MattofManchester

Sure, I like them, and it may be ideal this season, but that midfield is not winning anybody a league, let alone pushing us to challenge for it.

Bruno, yes, the other 2, no.

RooneyLegend

We've played four games and people are seriously asking for a new coach. OK we've had a mixed start but so has every other big team. Now is not the time to be changing managers, plus there is literally no manager out there that will provide us with the 'golden ticket' to success. It would be madness, spend all summer trying to sign Ole's targets and then get rid of him after 4 games. If we were thinking of sacking managers we should have done it straight after the Leicester match on the final game of last season, but like I said, who would we appoint? Pochettino? What happens if he has a wobble? Should we just go for the next flavour of the month manager that has recently been sacked that's waiting on the sidelines?
One thing for sure is we shouldn't have a manager who knows nothing about the highest level of the game as a manager. It's not four games, it's a lot of games. Ole has been here a while, we've seen his work and it's not going to cut it. Time to move on.

This is what's most likely to happen. Chelsea and us who have hired managers based on nothing but sentiment will continue down this path of mediocrity. Chelsea will make the change first, get a big hitter in and head in the right direction.

The last 4 league titles have gone to Conte, Pep and Klopp all with 90+ point tallies. All of them serial winners. Thinking we're going to compete and win titles with a charlatan in charge is foolish.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I agree. Playing 443 would definitely sort our midfield out.
Maybe they should try it out against PSG. Nothing to lose...

4-4-3 ha ha...got carried away there...

Last edited:

El Jefe

Is this still in doubt? Fred and Mctominay as a pair never let us down and put so much work in that sees them boss the midfield in most games.

They played their roles to perfection today.

Hammondo

Has to be our midfield, I do not think we can do anything vs good opposition without them.

UnitedFan93

Is this still in doubt? Fred and Mctominay as a pair never let us down and put so much work in that sees them boss the midfield in most games.

Agree. They give the team the balance that's needed.

spiriticon

I agree. For some reason they are our best midfield pairing. More than the sum of their parts.

Bobski

Matic and a clearly unfit Pogba was a dumb combination to start the season with, made life hell for the defenders. Fred and McT are functional, abrasive and necessary, a return to basics that could not be ignored after the Spurs game

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Against teams who will have most of the ball - yes. When we are expecting to have most of the ball I think Matic needs to come in for one of them (probably McTominay).

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Our best midfield combo by far. We actually created a lot of chances with that midfield and only won 2-1 because of attackers being poor, how about that. Not to mention number of interceptions.

McTominay was nervous in first half but I'm glad he made it. Fred was fantastic, as was Bruno.

Expect Fred and McTominay to hount Neymar in his dreams, that's how relentless they were today!

cyril C

Won the midfield with good work rate. How about that. There was another thread about who are the best MF combo. Pogba and Matic might be the most talented, but worst on work rate.

RUCK4444

Fred is a feckin baller in this form for us.

Scott pairs well with him and they were both awesome tonight. Gave the defence a solid screen to settle behind.

tomaldinho1

They should be our go to against teams that like possession and press higher up the pitch. I feel Matic with VdB and Bruno or Pogba is better against the deeper teams. Plus Mata on RW as well.

We have a really good all round squad

el3mel

Bruno and Fred are absolutely undroppable for me at this point with such form.

The other position is between Scott, Matic and VDB.

Pogba is a super sub option for Bruno.

Best for everyone.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Best for everyone.
Pogba can play with Bruno, and it's not the end of the world for Bruno if on some matches he is rested on the bench giving options for Pogba or VDB, I feel it's a mistake to play Bruno all the games and 90 minutes over 90 minutes. Clearly the biggest problem in the squad isn't the midfield options. Pogba gets a lot of stick but on his day he can make the difference.

MattofManchester

We did quite well with Pogba, Fred and Bruno against Sevilla, didn't we?

Not the smallest of teams and we controlled midfield.

So, something similar for lesser teams and Fred, Bruno and McTominay for big teams.

I do wish we could get all the quality and get Pogba and Bruno on the pitch for the big games, though. But that's an awful lot of dispossession to look forward to.

el3mel

Pogba can play with Bruno, and it's not the end of the world for Bruno if on some matches he is rested on the bench giving options for Pogba or VDB, I feel it's a mistake to play Bruno all the games and 90 minutes over 90 minutes. Clearly the biggest problem in the squad isn't the midfield options. Pogba gets a lot of stick but on his day he can make the difference.
Playing Pogba with Bruno in one midfield is definitely not the way forward for me. Way too unbalanced midfield and problems will keep rising from time to time. Pogba is a passenger off the ball and we don't have a dominant defensive midfielder like say Fernandinho at City.

Their best position is the same one, the attacking midfielder behind striker, so one of them should only play and the moment Bruno is simply much better and more consistent. Pogba can sub on in the last 30 minutes to give us more attacking intent at the end of games, and can play instead of Bruno in some games when we want to shuffle it up and keep everyone fit and rested, but together ? No absolutely not.

Nitewolf

I said this before, I'll say it again.

These two can't play in a 451 formation, nor in a 433 formation, unless you have a world star DM like Ndidi, even then we'll suffer.
Maybe in a diamond 442 or 4222.

Otherwise it's suicide.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Bruno and Fred is the perfect mix of skills and energy for me. Then we have the third spot which can be rotated a little bit depending on the opposition.

———Bruno———
McTominay - Fred

———Bruno———
Pogba - Fred

———Bruno———
VdB - Fred

roseguy64

Best for everyone.
McTominay's been the best one out of Bruno, Fred and himself

Walters_19_MuFc

Absolutely superb again today. Both Fred and McTominay covered every blade of grass and provided a perfect foil for Bruno to roam.

CM

It certainly looks like the midfield with the best balance to it at the moment. People won't like to see players like Pogba and van de Beek on the bench but this seems to be working, there's no reason to change it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
In fairness, I doubt Fred sometimes but he was class again tonight, probably better than McT. They both lack a bit of finesse but they don't half have a lot of heart.

Mr PG

I said before the spurs game if Ole started Pogba/Matic combo in an unfit team it would be suicide. Wouldn't normally work against top teams and Ole knew enough to change it vs seville I just don't know what went to his head vs spurs.

ThemanGiggsy

Can Fred not play behind Bruno and Pogba? that way Pogba can play further forward ala Juve days.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The way it should be with Pogba coming on and make an immediate impact as a sub. Let's not become elitists and refuse to see what Fred&Scott have done just because their names are not spectacular.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
A team has to have heart, and the midfield is the heart. Fred and McTominay both have good technical ability, fantastic work rates, tons of heart, and give the entire team a platform to compete. Very complimentary. Bruno in front of the them is such a threat, works hard, and has the heart and claws of a lion. I love this combo. Pogba is odd man out, and I am glad Ole has made that decision. We'll need him over the season, and he's still a key player, but if he doesn't sign an extended contract, we can ship him out at the end of the season and easily replace him IMO. This is not an anti-Pogba post, as I like the player, but instead a symbol of our strength in that position. We have actual options, and we haven't even seen much of VbD yet, who I would say is a more natural substitute to Bruno than Pogba is.

Cabin Clown

Bruno and Fred are certs for me. We can interchange depending on the matchup and formation.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Best for everyone.
Yeahz. Fred VdB and Bruno for Chelsea

jamesjimmybyrondean

Love how Ole has gotten his faith back in them. This is by no means a midfield that wins you titles but anytime we need to get nasty and solid defensively bring them on. Fergie had these type of players

AFC NimbleThumb

For this season they may be able to achieve Top 4 but if Scott McT is seen as the Pogba replacement we are f’d.

Yes, they cover ground & try hard but I for one value ball retention.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I have no problem with these. We showed we were able to attack as long as that is set up right.

Today James was completely unnecessary and after the subs our attacking ideas when all over the place.

marktan

This is our best midfield, I'd consider playing Pogba as the RW since we have no options there. He's not a RW but he is very good at building attacks so imo it would work