Bruno Lage | Sacked

DavidDeSchmikes

On a 3 year deal

-45 years old
-Managed at Benfica (won the league in 2019)
-Has been as assistant coach to Carlos Carvalhal at Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea City

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s Portuguese? No way!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Nothing strange going on here. It's well known Cristiano Ronaldo wants to finish his career at Wolves :wenger:

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Wolves are stuck in Portugal.
Wolves are a super agent club. Mendes gets them deals they normally wouldn't be able to obtain (see: Neves and Jota in the Championship)

This keeps the current model in place without a fuss. Now on the pitch...that's another matter. It's a risk, and it seems like they will lose Neves to boot.

SambaBoy

Wasn't his Benfica team incredible when they won the league?

Think they were 7pts of the title, and they won 17 out of 18 and beat the most goals scored in the process. Could be a new manager bounce, but either way I think we can expect to see attacking football and plenty of goals. His second started really well too, before not winning in 10 games or something. Strange.

Will be an interesting appointment.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They'll be a lot more entertaining to watch than under NES. I don't know if he has the personality for this job but he did very well at Benfica before the players turned their backs on him.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Wasn't his Benfica team incredible when they won the league?

Think they were 7pts of the title, and they won 17 out of 18 and beat the most goals scored in the process. Could be a new manager bounce, but either way I think we can expect to see attacking football and plenty of goals. His second started really well too, before not winning in 10 games or something. Strange.

Will be an interesting appointment.
In his first 38 league games, he had 36 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss at Benfica and he brought on young guys from the academy like João Felix and Renato Sanches. Then in the next 10 leagues games they had 2 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses.

The players turned their backs on him and lost the title after having a comfortable lead. He always came across well, even as a Sporting fan he was pretty likeable. His football at Benfica was very attacking so very different than what Wolves have been like the past few years, I have no idea how he'll do at a midtable club where it should be more difficult to put that style of football in place. But in terms of entertainment it should be good news for the Premier League since Wolves had been pretty boring to watch in recent times.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
In his first 38 league games, he had 36 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss at Benfica and he brought on young guys from the academy like João Felix and Renato Sanches. Then in the next 10 leagues games they had 2 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses.

The players turned their backs on him and lost the title after having a comfortable lead. He always came across well, even as a Sporting fan he was pretty likeable. His football at Benfica was very attacking so very different than what Wolves have been like the past few years, I have no idea how he'll do at a midtable club where it should be more difficult to put that style of football in place. But in terms of entertainment it should be good news for the Premier League since Wolves had been pretty boring to watch in recent times.
Sanches was Rui Vitória way earlier. Felix yes, and to a certain point Florentino and Ferro. Gedson was also Rui Vitória. Quite honestly it's not that difficult to take more risks than NES, but it's quite obvious he was more offensive on the Domestic League because except Porto he had no competition in Portugal while he was there.

For example, will he play a 4x4x2 like he did at Benfica in England? With what kind of players? Being Mendes his agent will he accept all his players? Will he be able to suggest players who don't belong to that agent? Serious questions, beside that I don't believe he will play the same way he did at Benfica, probably will have to adapt to the level of the competition where he is and the type of opponents he has, unless they bring 2 or 3 top players to improve the quality of the squad, but knowing Mendes probably they will sell 1 or 2 more, and the players who will arrive will all be linked to him.

The only positive I can see it's probably he will have a clue how to improve younger players, something Nuno wasn't that great tbh.

tomaldinho1

I think Bielsa and Leeds have probably got a load of PL owners realising you don't have to play defensively as a default - with a good enough coach, you won't necessarily finish higher or lower playing attacking football or shutting up shop for 90mins but you will, 100%, have more people watching you and therefore more exposure and that's what's really appealing when you aren't realistically going to win anything.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC

I thought Renato Sanches left Benfica much earlier than Lage became the first-team manager.

On a different note, does he look like Justin Long or am I seeing things? His face looks pretty familiar and suitable for a sitcom doing deadpan delivery.

Varun

Staff
The power Mendes has at Wolves is crazy, it's like he owns the club.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Brilliantly played against Spurs and us. Really liked how they played against us. Chased us like Wolves and defended like their life was dependent on it.

Quite refreshing to see new faces in epl with different styles.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Brilliantly played against Spurs and us. Really liked how they played against us. Chased us like Wolves and defended like their life was dependent on it.

Quite refreshing to see new faces in epl with different styles.
They've been really unlucky that results haven't gone their way so far, but if they keep playing the way they've been playing, I'm sure they'll have a fine season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As I said before, Wolves lack quality at the back for Lage playing style of high pressing.
Yes, their forwards missed siters in all matches, but they need more solutions on their defense and a more aggresive options at midfield.

I dont think he will finish the season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
As I said before, Wolves lack quality at the back for Lage playing style of high pressing.
Yes, their forwards missed siters in all matches, but they need more solutions on their defense and a more aggresive options at midfield.

I dont think he will finish the season.
I see that you are a Benfica fan and so you know first hand.How do you think he would fare at United ? Just a hypothetical situation?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I see that you are a Benfica fan and so you know first hand.How do you think he would fare at United ? Just a hypothetical situation?
He would probably do well, he likes a high pressing, high pace and aggresive play style, but it would be very difficult to work out because he lacks reputation and titles. Dont think top market players would trust his leadership, not to mention the media and fans.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Wolves actually play very well and creates tons of chances every games. They are being a victim of the adventurous playing style of Lage, but I thik this victory against Watford might give them the mental edge to start converting chances.

I still think Wolves lack defensive and concentration skills on the back to make sure the high press keeps finely tuned, but it just might work. On the funny side, I think Spurs would be better served with Lage than with Nuno (and same applies to Wolves with Nuno), since they are pretty much opposite on playing styles (adventurous and high pace vs controlled play and defense comes first)

RooneyLegend

Needs to stop being cautious with the system and scrap the 3 at the back when Boly comes back. Its no use dominating games only to find no one in the box. Trincao, Podence and Traore behind Jimenez would see them be a threat for top 6. The certainly have the squad for it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Or he could just play Adama as a wingback and drop the utterly mediocre Semedo

Nickelodeon

Doing well, isn’t he? For context, they’re 4 points behind us with a game in hand and 3 behind West Ham with 2 games in hand. Despite relatively little investment, he has implemented a decent playing identity as well a gritty team which grinds out results. Keeping an eye on him for sure. With Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester and West Ham as their next 4 fixtures, they could really stand out or slip into mid-table mediocrity. A pre-injury type Jiminez and in-form Neto can do wonders for them.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Doing well, isn’t he? For context, they’re 4 points behind us with a game in hand and 3 behind West Ham with 2 games in hand. Despite relatively little investment, he has implemented a decent playing identity as well a gritty team which grinds out results. Keeping an eye on him for sure. With Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester and West Ham as their next 4 fixtures, they could really stand out or slip into mid-table mediocrity. A pre-injury type Jiminez and in-form Neto can do wonders for them.
Next big thing?

Nickelodeon

Don’t know about that.

But quoting The Athletic, Wolves somehow lost their first three league matches of 2021-22 by a goal to nil. Since then, they’ve played 18 further league matches and won 10 of them, earning 34 points. The table from September 1 onwards places them in fifth, six points behind Chelsea in third but having played three games fewer than the reigning European champions. Essentially, Champions League form.

They haven’t conceded in the first half of any of their past 14 league games. They’ve just won their first three league matches of a calendar year for the first time since 1994.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s been a tough week for him, destroyed by tiny Brentford with United poised to take his young CB for a cool £8 million!

Chipper

Adulterer.
2 goals against Brentford came off 0.22 xg.

Do we say clinical or a bit undeserved? Mind you, I suppose it's swings and roundabouts, I remember them not putting the chances away early in the season.

Edit: Bloody hell, have they really only conceded 16 all season? Nice.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Surprised by how well he managed to adap to the circunstances. At Benfica he implemented a high press and high pace style, so surprised he managed to create a middle-low block team.

TheReligion

Abusive
So why are Wolves letting Traore go to Barca on loan? Seems odd. Thought he features for Wolves?

Not sure what they get out of this in January

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
So why are Wolves letting Traore go to Barca on loan? Seems odd. Thought he features for Wolves?

Not sure what they get out of this in January
Everything Barca do seems dodgy, especially as it wasn't that long ago they were lifting sofa cushions and looking for odd euros.

And they helped City out with some bizarre deal where City make a ton for a player who is out and done hardly anything... :nono:

I actually hope they do buy Traore... he's shite. Ben Johnson on drugs... oh wait.

TheReligion

Abusive
Everything Barca do seems dodgy, especially as it wasn't that long ago they were lifting sofa cushions and looking for odd euros.

And they helped City out with some bizarre deal where City make a ton for a player who is out and done hardly anything... :nono:

I actually hope they do buy Traore... he's shite. Ben Johnson on drugs... oh wait.
It’s a done deal to Barca. Initial loan with option to buy at end of season.

Just can’t see how it makes sense to Wolves