Bruno to Madrid... ?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I hope so. I can't take it anymore.

On top of that our squad has somehow managed to get worse then last season so it will take a Herculean season similar to the last for us to aspire to get anywhere near third place.

This will be a longgg season.
You're preaching to the choir!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He can go anywhere he wants why should we care?

He was never on our radar and isnt better than what we already have
I think he was on United's radar as well as Spurs but Sporting would not budge on the 70M.

Also he has more talent on one foot then Lingard in his whole body and he is a better player then Mata right now as well. He would walk into United midfield currently.

lsd

The Oracle
I think he was on United's radar as well as Spurs but Sporting would not budge on the 70M.

Also he has more talent on one foot then Lingard in his whole body and he is a better player then Mata right now as well. He would walk into United midfield currently.

Yeah but we have enough midfielders that walk around

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

United and Spurs have big radars. Spurs signed 2 midfielders this summer, both for the same €70m Sporting were allegedly asking for (albeit Lo Celso’s will be paid next year). Fernandes was ‘days away’ from signing with a new club every week.

He’ll be a Zenit player within 24 months.

SportingCP96

Supports
United and Spurs have big radars. Spurs signed 2 midfielders this summer, both for the same €70m Sporting were allegedly asking for (albeit Lo Celso’s will be paid next year). Fernandes was ‘days away’ from signing with a new club every week.

He’ll be a Zenit player within 24 months.
:lol::lol:

Agree to disagree.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Like I said ages ago, around the 50m mark he was worth a punt, 70m was just asking too much. The worst thing that happened was the felix deal.

I’m sure he will have another good season but you’ll be lucky to get that sort of money for him again IMO

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How is 70m asking for too much when we're in a dire need of a dynamic, creative midfielder. At the same time, we paid 80m for a good, not world-class CB.

It's chances and goals that win you games and a decent defence does nothing if your midfield is lacking massively, as ours is.

SportingCP96

Supports
Like I said ages ago, around the 50m mark he was worth a punt, 70m was just asking too much. The worst thing that happened was the felix deal.

I’m sure he will have another good season but you’ll be lucky to get that sort of money for him again IMO
I agree to an extent. I mean the only way he will justify that worth now is if he had another 30 goal season.

He will have a great season no doubt because of his quality but it will be hard to carry this absolute shit of a Sporting team 2 years in a row.

SportingCP96

Supports
How is 70m asking for too much when we're in a dire need of a dynamic, creative midfielder. At the same time, we paid 80m for a good, not world-class CB.

It's chances and goals that win you games and a decent defence does nothing if your midfield is lacking massively, as ours is.
Like I have said for months in todays market 70M for the best player in the league by a very big margin is really not a lot. 50M is free in todays market. If he was a Porto or Benfica player no one would bat an eye on this fee. Militao went to Madrid for 50M so how is 50M a fair place for the highest scoring midfielder in the world.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sporting president confirms that Tottenham offered 45M plus 20M in objectives.(1.Winning the CL 2.Winning the EPL). Both very unrealistic expectations.

So in other words they offered 45M. Selling the best player in the league for peanuts? thanks but no thanks.

Lets enjoy the "end" of this saga for now until the following transfer windows :lol:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Sporting president confirms that Tottenham offered 45M plus 20M in objectives.(1.Winning the CL 2.Winning the EPL). Both very unrealistic expectations.

So in other words they offered 45M. Selling the best player in the league for peanuts? thanks but no thanks.

Lets enjoy the "end" of this saga for now until the following transfer windows :lol:
We spoke about this multiple times in the past. No one will pay that 70m money for him.

And I do think, 45- 50m is a fair value for him even with this inflated prices.

SportingCP96

Supports
We spoke about this multiple times in the past. No one will pay that 70m money for him.

There are worse players "worth" more. We can continue this when he eventually/inevitably gets linked to the top club like every top player.

SAFMUTD

The portuguese league has produced many good players (Cristiano, Falcao, Carvalho, Pepe, Di Maria, Ederson , etc) but also many flops (Mangala, Joao Mario, Anderson, Andre Silva, Jackson Martinez, Renato Sanches, Danilo, etc) Its very risky to pay 70 million for a player from an emerging league, its a gamble. The thing is that the market prices have scalated so much that now the gamble is huge.

He looks really exciting, creative, goal scorer and lot of stamina I would gladly have him on the team but he's a gamble we may very well end up regreting loosing him to another club or relieved that we dodged a bullet.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's interesting that despite being talked up throughout the window and linked with lots of big clubs, there doesn't seem to have been any serious offers at all. Has the feel of lots of agent work and no real buyers. Maybe they all know something that we don't because you'd have thought with his stats and reputation he would have been snapped up.

ClosetDevil

Feels like so many people here are just waiting/hoping/praying for a re-incarnation of Cristiano Ronaldo / the effect his signing had for us as a club. People chasing the dream of finding "the next big thing" is just silly-o-clock. You're much better off building a solid foundation and working from there. The sooner we get past having the need to sign the next big thing, the better.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Why not? We paid 50m for a 21 y.o. fullback with one season in top flight.

GBBQ

Who? Maguire and....?

There aren't actually that many 70m+ players out there.
Probably more than you would expect. Its not about actual value anymore, the market is inflated to the point where Longstaff is worth 50 mil apparently. Under those conditions there has to be a significant number of players in the EPL who would not be sold for less than 70 mil despite being far from worth that value. When clubs like Crystal palace can demand 50 mil for AWB and turn their noses up at 40-50 mil for Zaha then anything is possible.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You know a player is not as good as the Caf thinks he is, when the entirety of football Europe passed on this guy.

Withnail

The portuguese league has produced many good players but also many flops

You know a player is not as good as the Caf thinks he is, when the entirety of football Europe passed on this guy.
This is it exactly. There was literally no one seriously in for him.

The step up from the Portugese League is steep and the data/scouts are obviously telling the big clubs he hasn't got what it takes to make it at the highest level.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Probably more than you would expect. Its not about actual value anymore, the market is inflated to the point where Longstaff is worth 50 mil apparently. Under those conditions there has to be a significant number of players in the EPL who would not be sold for less than 70 mil despite being far from worth that value. When clubs like Crystal palace can demand 50 mil for AWB and turn their noses up at 40-50 mil for Zaha then anything is possible.
Longstaff is not worth 50m since no one is willing to pay that for him.

Champagne Football

Bruno Fernandes has been taken in for questioning by the Lisbon police force, to be quizzed on whether he is in fact Nicolas Gaiten with a wig on. More to follow....

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not exactly. Longstaff is not worth £50m. He was valued at that for Newcastle. If he was worth £50m, we would have bought him for £50m. Imagine we want a player worth £50m, and we approach his club to do a deal and they say ‘he’s yours if you give us £50m’ - it would be the easiest deal in history. The reason he’s still at Newcastle is because he’s worth about £25m, yet Newcastle asked more than his worth.

The reason Bruno is still at Sporting is because he’s not worth 70m. Spurs literally spent that much on a midfielder twice this summer (albeit Lo Celso payment next year), so it’s clear they are able to do so if needed.

GBBQ

Longstaff is not worth 50m since no one is willing to pay that for him.
Not exactly. Longstaff is not worth £50m. He was valued at that for Newcastle. If he was worth £50m, we would have bought him for £50m. Imagine we want a player worth £50m, and we approach his club to do a deal and they say ‘he’s yours if you give us £50m’ - it would be the easiest deal in history. The reason he’s still at Newcastle is because he’s worth about £25m, yet Newcastle asked more than his worth.

The reason Bruno is still at Sporting is because he’s not worth 70m. Spurs literally spent that much on a midfielder twice this summer (albeit Lo Celso payment next year), so it’s clear they are able to do so if needed.
But that's exactly why @SportingCP96 had worth in inverted commas. A player has two values, what he is worth to his current club and what he is worth to the club looking to sign him. There's plenty of worse players out there than Bruno that the selling club believe is worth more than 70 mil based on the current inflated market where as the buying club might think differently. Its up to the buying club if they give in; United didn't believe Maguire is worth 80 mil, hence the haggling but in the end they had to pay that to get a player who would improve them.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Value is what you end up selling for. Valuation is what you want to sell for. Sean Longstaff got a £50m price tag because they hoped to fleece Manchester United in the hopes we'd either back off, or grossly overpay for a 9 game talent.

The thing is, for what Bruno Fernandes is, a playmaking midfielder that's involved in most of Sporting Lisbons goals, the price tag of £70m for a excellent player in that position is absolutely peanuts in football Europe. A big club that thought he was the real deal would have forked out that money without blinking twice, us included.

He is still in Portugal because every scout and analyst have told their respective club the same thing: He is not as good as his youtube highlight reels might indicate. We buy players for everything they do in between, not their greatest moments. All players have greatest moments. Even Ashley Young:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Value is what you end up selling for. Valuation is what you want to sell for. Sean Longstaff got a £50m price tag because they hoped to fleece Manchester United in the hopes we'd either back off, or grossly overpay for a 9 game talent.

The thing is, for what Bruno Fernandes is, a playmaking midfielder that's involved in most of Sporting Lisbons goals, the price tag of £70m for a excellent player in that position is absolutely peanuts in football Europe. A big club that thought he was the real deal would have forked out that money without blinking twice, us included.

He is still in Portugal because every scout and analyst have told their respective club the same thing: He is not as good as his youtube highlight reels might indicate. We buy players for everything they do in between, not their greatest moments. All players have greatest moments. Even Ashley Young:
Anyone who watches football will know Bruno is a lot better than Young.

The truth is no one was willing to pay 70m which is fair enough, I don't think he is worth that much and Sporting will regret not selling him for less. But he's a very good player and I can see him moving to a big club next season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Anyone who watches football will know Bruno is a lot better than Young.

The truth is no one was willing to pay 70m which is fair enough, I don't think he is worth that much and Sporting will regret not selling him for less. But he's a very good player and I can see him moving to a big club next season.
A lot of footballers are better than Ashley Young at the tail end of his career, no one is disputing that.

The point I made was that its very easy to make up an "informed" opinion based on youtube highlights. Sure Bruno has a very good shot, and good free kicks. But how often does he miss and how often does he hit? We don't know, but the scouts do. And every other statistical metric inbetween.

The position we are looking to fill is an extremely important one. Less than £50 million these days are either: Young talents, or good squad players. The perceived teamchangers go from £70m and up. Bruno Fernandes is not that guy, says every club in Europe this season.

reddev3

I posted this in the other Bruno thread the other month and judging by the spurs offer it is probably true

"I think it comes down to his valuation, I have watched him a few times now and he isn't anything special but he is a very good player. If he could be bought for around 35-45 million he would be a great purchase but these 55-60 million figures are ridiculous. Having said that though, I still want him because I don't give a sh*t how much we pay."

If he was around 40 million someone would pick him up because if you don't you are shopping in the pool of players with the likes of van de beek or Tielemans but at 70 million you can pretty much buy any midfielder in the world which is what spurs went and done, unfortunately for us though we did the unthinkable and opted for neither.

Fingers crossed by January Gomes has forced his way in to the team or we go back in for Bruno with Sporting being a bit more flexible on price now both windows have shut and no one want's him at that high a price. That number 10 position is a glaring weakness at the moment.

bond19821982

Why not? We paid 50m for a 21 y.o. fullback with one season in top flight.
Because of the same argument- how many attacking players from portugese league have actually been great after moving to epl ? At 75m , it was not worth it. This is a league where Dost scores 30+ goals .

bond19821982

There are worse players "worth" more. We can continue this when he eventually/inevitably gets linked to the top club like every top player.
It depends on the context as well. Like Pogba is worth 150m for us. Point is if we actually get a buyer or not. Clubs just might think it's not worth it and move on.

You guys do have some financial crisis , right ? I dont think he is going for 70m now. Be in January or Summer, it could be closer to 50.

Crashoutcassius

He might end up having a good career at a top club. but not sure how people are so sold on him when his good season came in portugal, he is 25 in a few days and plays years in Italy without lighting it up, his agent is pushing a move so hard and cannot find a club for him. people say he would walk into our midfield but it isnt that easy, as a 52m Fred who bossed the midfield vs City, Roma and Lyon has shown.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
hmm but supposedly not goo enough for us because of a lack of passing skills...

Suedesi

Well you can slap whatever valuation on a player, but it doesn't become real until a club is willing to pay that. Clearly Longstaff is not worth 50 mill, nor is Bruno worth 70 million.

I also think transfer fees have become so prohibitively expensive, that the way forward is free agency. Players will inevitably run the contracts down and collect the fee themselves as an upfront bonus or prorata as salaries.