Bruno's post match comments

bsCallout

I keep seeing this. Yes, you don’t have to be captain to be a leader, but you do have to be a leader to be captain. Saying Bruno doesn’t need to be captain only works if he have a leader as our current captain, which we don’t.
We have good cop, bad cop. Bruno doesn't need an armband, others do.

Trequarista10

Because he doesn't need an armband to be a leader. Boring hang up.
I just typed out a lengthy post to say exactly this, but you said it far more succinctly. Having numerous leaders in beneficial. The official captain doesn't much extra, except call the coin toss and hand out tickets for player's family and friends.

TrustInOle

Not to be believed in my opinion, but Bruno stalling on a new contract we have offered is starting to do the rounds.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We have good cop, bad cop. Bruno doesn't need an armband, others do.
Maguire isnt a leader. He was the one playing everyone onside the other day. A leader would have been ensuring everyone held the line

OmarUnited4ever

Bruno's comments did not single out any player or a group of players (i.e Back four or Holding Midfielders) he kept saying "We cannot concede goals...etc We etc...".

Basically he is critical of the whole team as a unit (which includes him too).

Nothing wrong with what he said, any player giving a post match interview after a loss will say the same thing, they will use the word We and never single out any player publicly. They will also be honest and avoid making excuses and take collective responsibility as a team.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Nothing controversial about that.

He's obviously right.

And I doubt Ole disagrees.

Hopefully he's pissed off as feck behind the scenes as well - and I think he may well be. Which is very good news for us - because, again, I doubt Ole disagrees.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Don’t think he said anything wrong and reflected on a poor team performance.

Wilt

Every club has press rules, what you can and can’t say to the press/public. SAF was very strict on it. Criticising teammates in public is a no go area. Although I’m unconvinced if he really pulled anyone up but I’ve heard he has had two run ins with ole (press talk so again unsure if true) so another run in won’t be good. Ole can’t afford to lose him and I think Bruno knows it. So he’s going a bit rogue.
Agreed, he certainly does know it!

Bruno is undoubtably Utd’s talisman and fair to say he’s saved Ole’s job. I’m not sure Bruno rates Ole as a manager and think by speaking out of line, he’s showing his frustration.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Stripping someone of captaincy is a huge risk. Unless you've got a compelling reason then you can fracture the dressing room pulling a stunt like that. Solskjaer doesn't seem like the type to do that, certainly not for performances. He had the perfect opportunity to strip him of captaincy during his Greek arrest but stood by him.

The way to change captaincys that seems to be the least risky is slowly phasing them out with a better player, then giving the captaincy to someone who actually plays.
Definitely agree with you there. Although it would be challenging to diplomatically phase out a 80 mil defender. I feel Maguire is too reserved to have an authoritative on-field presence.

SAFMUTD

I still dont get why he hasnt been named captain. I understand it would hurt Maguire but everyone knows Maguire wears the armband but Bruno is the captain.

United Hobbit

Haven't had a chance to listen to the video but scanning comments it doesn't sound like he named names, eg saying DDG was terrible he's admitting we were awful defensively and we were.

Had we conceded to 3 world class goals, he wouldn't be saying it, it was the quite simply pathetic manner we did it, having been 2-0 up

If it was a one off, dare I say like Allison, who isn't the world's best goalkeeper but on the whole fairly consistent, and with a make shift defence, again he probably wouldn't have said that

It's the way it keeps happening, and the manner in which it happened, that is so annoying just watching it- imagine if you're putting in the performances of the likes of Cavani and Bruno and keep seeing that rubbish served up.

I listened to Brunos podcast with United and his drive is clear. I wish we had more of that type. Cavani comes across the same and possibly Shaw and maybe Rashy. Which of the others are the same? You can see Bruno and Cavani getting after people on the pitch.

I'm sick of seeing the whole we must do better comments then the same pathetic showing next game

No I didn't think we were going to win the title but we had a chance- it's the way we keep dropping points through silly errors that's really irritating

What did Ole say out of interest? I switched off as soon as it was full time? Is Bruno having to call them out as the manager isn't?

RashysTekkers

Bruno is undoubtably Utd’s talisman and fair to say he’s saved Ole’s job. I’m not sure Bruno rates Ole as a manager and think by speaking out of line, he’s showing his frustration.
Jesus christ what a load of garbage

Water Melon

Bruno never singled out anyone. He said "we" everywhere, implying himself included. Fair fecks to the lad, who has tons of drive and desire not just to collect his wages but also win things. It is all about trophies for him and I appreciate and admire that. A true leader.

Fluctuation0161

Yes it goes both ways. When the team have kept clean sheets and we haven't scored, the defenders don't go out and back stab Bruno in media for being poor.
You've got to be joking. We threw away a 2-0 lead then a 3-2 lead due to glaring defensive errors. This season we have conceded the same amount of goals as Fulham, this is not the first time the defence has let us down.

Meanwhile, Bruno has more goals and assists than any other player in the league over the last 12 months.

Give your head a wobble.

Glorio

How is he speaking out of line by saying we didn't defend properly? Hasn't Maguire made similar comments? Rashford as well?
Didn't Ole say more or less the same after this game ("to have the ball between the post 3 times and to concede all 3 times is disappointing")?

Nothing to see here, and I don't know how you can derive that Bruno doesn't respect Ole from his interview at all.

EDIT: Before anyone asks me for proof
Maguire after Sheffield:
"It wasn't good enough, we didn't play to the level we have in recent weeks," the England centre-back admitted to BT Sport after the final whistle. "We gave them two goals, now it's time to stand up and be counted because it's easy when you are winning football matches - when you lose it is about how quickly you bounce back.

"We started the game in full control. We have to do more, we made it hard for ourselves, got ourselves back in it and you can't lose it from there.

"We knew at half time the next goal would be crucial, we had great belief we could do that again We weren't good enough tonight and didn't play to a level we ....
So is Maguire in on the coup then? This is something players do - admit when the team dropped the ball.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

The entire team is to blame, defense starts from the front. Look at how we were cut up prior to Everton's first goal
Correct.

You win as a team and you lose as a team. Even if some mistakes can be individual.

Kajus

Not to be believed in my opinion, but Bruno stalling on a new contract we have offered is starting to do the rounds.
He has 4.5 years left on his current one, plus an option to extend for a further year.

Wilt

How is he speaking out of line by saying we didn't defend properly? Hasn't Maguire made similar comments? Rashford as well?
Didn't Ole say more or less the same after this game ("to have the ball between the post 3 times and to concede all 3 times is disappointing")?

Nothing to see here, and I don't know how you can derive that Bruno doesn't respect Ole from his interview at all
I meant frustrated at drawing the game and no one in particular and certainly not Ole.
Personally I don’t think anything Bruno said was wrong, and he didn’t name anyone. Bruno was obviously angry and he was right to speak out.
As said, I’m not sure how how he rates Ole, but I‘m positive he knows he’s made a big difference to Utd’s fortunes since his arrival.

Last edited:

OleTheGreat

Bruno has been a great impact on this team and of course he's disappointed not to win. Our gap to City is now 5 points and it could be 8 by the time their played their game in hand. What's worse is, the teams below have caught up to us and we're looking at dropping down the order if we don't get our act together. We need to start winning games again and hope City lose points somewhere down the line because right now they seem untouchable. We still have an away game to play against City and it doesn't look good unless we play like we did against Southampton. In fact I liked the way we played against Everton too, we gave them space during their attack and they took advantage of it is all. We defend awfully during set pieces and we often don't close opponents down well and that's where we're leaking goals. Maguire and De Gea where awful against Everton and I sincerely hope Henderson makes a step forward quickly.

A-man

You've got to be joking. We threw away a 2-0 lead then a 3-2 lead due to glaring defensive errors. This season we have conceded the same amount of goals as Fulham, this is not the first time the defence has let us down.

Meanwhile, Bruno has more goals and assists than any other player in the league over the last 12 months.

Give your head a wobble.
Everybody knows that Bruno has done more than we could ever expect for our attack. Nobody could say anything else.

At 2-0 against a good team like Everton, with good attacking players and imo one of the best tactical coaches out there, it was stupid, naive and hubris to play the way we did. The defence, and especially Maguire and DDG, were poor in those situations, absolutely. But at 2-0 you don’t play that high up with every single midfielder and AWB. At the first goal, Everton cruised through our midfield, Maguire was totally unprotected. There should have been 1-2 midfielders there to protect him and to defend.

Bruno said “it is impossible to concede a goal again, from a feee kick from half the pitch”. Im a bit disappointed with this as I think that is the wrong thinking. A game is always until the ref blows the whistle. Maybe also the reason why he was the only player who didn’t try to defend the free kick, but that’s clearly only speculations.

In the end, I think we lost this match mainly because of DDG’s performance and our naive tactics. Bruno definitely did his part, not saying anything else, but the team as a whole should not have left the two CBS and Shaw alone at 2-0. And Bruno should not make this kind of statements in media.

Wilt

No I mean why do you think Bruno doesn't rate Ole as a manager.

That rating (or lack of) doesn't come from two results. I was curious as to what you'd seen over the year that Bruno has been here, that leads to that conclusion.
Nothing in particular, It’s just a gut feeling. There’s been several press reports of the two of them having words in the past, and while you can’t believe everything the press writes ....no smoke without fire.

Its all subjective, but there‘s no denying Bruno is key to anything Utd may achieve and he knows it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Just because players don't go public with there disconsent, doesn't mean they don't mind losing. Rashford for example contributes just as much as Bruno. Undoubtedly our 2 most important players. He doesn't hang out our defensive players in public. You bring in SAF to the equation: If SAF was in charge now and a player went public critisizing like Bruno did and bearing in mind he's been with the club 1 year, he wouldn't be happy I can tell you that!
well, I've heard both Gary Neville and Keno talk about some people not like losing and some people hating it. there's a difference. I think I remember Schmikes saying something similar way back in his early days

Lee565

I think he will be gone come 2022, the guy is a born winner, he's not going to stick around where the club board and the "true red" fans are happy to just make do with ole in charge despite not being good enough to guide us to any meaningful success as long as we can achieve a top 4 spot every season season as if we are bloody Leicester city or spurs.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I feel we might have another player versus manager situation here. If OGS doesn't go, Bruno will take himself somewhere else.

Are you trying to make a point? Nothing fragile about having a B-class coach who cannot make a sub and organise our defence nor our attack.
next stage is to start saying he “should leave for the sake of his career”.

my point is to get a grip man.

I think he will be gone come 2022, the guy is a born winner, he's not going to stick around where the club board and the "true red" fans are happy to just make do with ole in charge despite not being good enough to guide us to any meaningful success as long as we can achieve a top 4 spot every season season as if we are bloody Leicester city or spurs.
All this nonsense about 'true red' fans is laughable.

some fans accept that rebuilding is a long term process. Other fans prefer to replace the coach every two years and hope that yeilds faster results.

We tried sacking 3 coaches in 5 years and that made things worse. Maybe instead of firing this coach after 2 years we see if 3-4 years works out better.

Lee565

some fans accept that rebuilding is a long term process. Other fans prefer to replace the coach every two years and hope that yeilds faster results.

We tried sacking 3 coaches in 5 years and that made things worse. Maybe instead of firing this coach after 2 years we see if 3-4 years works out better.
Come on, from day one most fans logically knew we won't do anything great with ole and 2 and half seasons on it still looks the same of one step forward and one step back, the fact that the last time we looked remotely like we might win something noteworthy was under a past it manager in mourinho just goes to show we are not making no so called progress under ole like so many fans have deluded themselves to believe.

hobbers

No, making shit appointments of managers who either were never good enough, or in completely the wrong stage of their careers, is what made things worse, not sacking them.

Rebuilding jobs take 3 years but if there's no tangible improvement in results or performances year on year then only a total moron would stick with the same manager. If we finish this season on 60-something points, again, and bottle out of Europa and the FA cup, again, then what is left for Ole to suggest we stick with him? We're not going to suddenly become proper title contenders next season if we're still bottling everything this season. With a defence not even performing in the top half of the league and an attack that relies entirely on the output of one player.

Marcelinho87

Think you all need to realise that whoever is in charge nothing will change... Finish outside top 4 and the Glazers and Woodward will spend... Finish within and they won't spend as it's good enough.

This is a club mentality now throughout not a manager around can fix it.