Bryan Robson and Sir Alex Ferguson Q&A

Chairman Steve

Sir Alex saying Robson was his best captain has to be a intended dig on Keane :lol: Clearly still trouble in paradise between them

macheda14

Sir Alex saying Robson was his best captain has to be a intended dig on Keane :lol:
Just what I was thinking - it's upsetting that their relationship was damaged irreparably.

However it's easy to forget (or to have never known first hand in my case) that Robson was absolutely unbelievable on his day.

Nero

Or maybe he just thinks Robson was his best captain?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Doesn't have to be a dig at Keane, I mean you see the way players and fans speak about Robbo. I've only seen clips and read stories and he looked tremendous.

Sure there clearly is still bad blood between them (which really is a shame) but I'm not sure it's meant as a dig.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Maybe he's just bigging him up for the documentary, added bonus is he can pretend he meant nothing by it but it is sad their relationship is non-existant now.

Two peas from a pod and all that but Keane explained just why he won't speak to him in that Irish show with Gary Neville and if it's true it's fair enough.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Great to hear him praise Robbo, but you can't hear "easily the best captain" without thinking that's harsh on Keane. A guy who we cleaned up totally with.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
He's there to talk about Bryan and support him. Of course he will be praising him. Christ not everything is a dig lads.

Ixion

It's like Ronaldo gets dropped and all the manager gets asked about is that and not any of the other players. Fergie says Robbo is the best captain and its a dig a Keane but no one brings up Bruce, Cantona, Neville, Vidic.

KingCavani

Or maybe he just thinks Robson was his best captain?
If he hadn’t added “easily” to it then maybe you could argue that. It’s clearly a dig. They’re always taking thinly veiled shots at each other.

Ferguson is the greatest figure in the club’s history, probably even higher than Busby but Keane is 100% right that the way he speaks of his former players who gave everything for him is pretty disgraceful.

Witchking

If he hadn’t added “easily” to it then maybe you could argue that. It’s clearly a dig. They’re always taking thinly veiled shots at each other.

Ferguson is the greatest figure in the club’s history, probably even higher than Busby but Keane is 100% right that the way he speaks of his former players who gave everything for him is pretty disgraceful.
Keane has been equally disrespectful to United's greatest ever manager.

MoskvaRed

It's like Ronaldo gets dropped and all the manager gets asked about is that and not any of the other players. Fergie says Robbo is the best captain and its a dig a Keane but no one brings up Bruce, Cantona, Neville, Vidic.
Keane is the captain you most readily associate with the Fergie era (more so than Bruce, Eric etc). For the other great team (2006-2009), I don’t remember any dominating captain figure. Was it Rio? Giggs?

So it could be, and probably is, a dig at Keane. Although given how good Robson was, even into the early 90s, it’s a less obnoxious statement than Keane claiming that (late era, sozzled) Clough was the best manager he ever played under.

RUCK4444

Sir Alex saying Robson was his best captain has to be a intended dig on Keane :lol: Clearly still trouble in paradise between them
I thought that but then again Robbo was an incredible player and incredible leader.

Imo pound for pound Keane was the better leader (in the mould of what you think of in a captain, vocal, demanding etc) but Robbo was most of that and a better footballer. So it’s not as much of a dig as it seems, in some ways it would be harsher on Robbo. Hard to pick between them though, I love Keane the player.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The way Keane behaved at the end of his United career is why I think SAF puts Robbo ahead of him as his best captain.

Moriarty

Ferguson is the greatest figure in the club’s history, probably even higher than Busby
Can't agree with that. Matt Busby took the club from nothing. We didn't even have a ground in 1945. He developed a youth system that was the envy of the rest of football. He saw it all destroyed in a matter of minutes. He survived death to come back and build again from the ground up and climbed the highest pinnacle in European football. The infrastructure in place when Fergie arrived was down to Matt Busby. Fergie, for all his achievements - and they are legion - stood on the shoulders of giants: Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy.

Loon

:lol:
Keane was amazing, but Robson was better. If prime Robson had played for prime Ferguson…

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Keane was amazing, but Robson was better. If prime Robson had played for prime Ferguson…
Robbo every day for me. Easily the better captain. Robbo in our current team would transform it. To be fair Keane would as well.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Keane has been equally disrespectful to United's greatest ever manager.
Who has he spoken of disgracefully so far?

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to quote the guy saying it's Fergie who speaks disgracefully of his players.

galwayfa

Fergie said robbo could be tough with team mates when it was needed, isn't that exactly what Keane did albeit it be on film, that being said, Robson didn't play with the calibre of players Keane did at his peak and that was down to fergie buying proper players,

Herman Toothrot

Aside from the small matter of being by far United's best player for many years, finally bringing Sir Alex success after an unforgiving three years or so and helping usher in a golden era at the club... I guess he's the default "easy" best because Robbo didn't end his career at the club half way through a season with his contract in tatters.

choccy77

Robson my favourite player of all time.

First time I saw United live, he scored 2 goals.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Pretty much everyone who’s seen him play at his peak says that if he had anywhere close to the kind of talent United developed in the 90s and 2000s, his accomplishments would have rivaled anyone else, let alone Keane. So I don’t understand how it was a dig at all In Fergie calling him his best captain and best player of that era.

Marwood

Course it's Robson and in now way is that a dig at Keane.

Some fans/posters only look at what happens on the pitch when comparing captains. On the pitch its close.

But when it comes to the captains role off the pitch it's clearly Robson. Him and Fergie were close in a way Fergie and Keane never were.

Josh 76

Really wish i had seen Robbo played for United in his prime
He was one of the best players England has produced. Amazing player.
Just a shame he was playing in a time when Utd were not dominating.

Glad he eventually won the title in this last couple of years. Real shame Fergie dropped him from the squad in the 1994 FA cup final. Would have been nice for him to make his final appearance in that game. He was pissed off with Fergie for doing that at the time.

Redfrog

Can't agree with that. Matt Busby took the club from nothing. We didn't even have a ground in 1945. He developed a youth system that was the envy of the rest of football. He saw it all destroyed in a matter of minutes. He survived death to come back and build again from the ground up and climbed the highest pinnacle in European football. The infrastructure in place when Fergie arrived was down to Matt Busby. Fergie, for all his achievements - and they are legion - stood on the shoulders of giants: Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy.
100% agree. Too young to know anything before Fergie but the history of this club has been written by the Busby babes. That’s where the romanticism comes from. And even with as many trophies as SAF you can’t beat that.

Moriarty

I was there on the day he signed for us on the pitch. Big Ron says that when he left WBA for United, Robbo told him not to forget about him.

frostbite

True! However, the thing is prime Robson did not play for prime Ferguson, it was prime Keane that played for prime Ferguson.

Foxbatt

Having seen both prime Robbo and prime Keane, Robbo is easily the best captain. He does not have to rave and rant at the players but as a player and as a leader he was better. How many times has he dug out United single handedly? People speak about the Juve game and Keane but Robbo did it time and again for United. Also for England too. I also felt that players really like him and respected him. With Keane it was they feared him. He could have scored a hat trick in a FA Cup Final but he gave the penalty to Arnold Muhren. I do not think it would have matter an iota to the result if he had taken and missed it. There is a very good reason why he was known as Captain Marvel.

On a side note until now I did not know that putting Stapleton in defence was Robbo's decision. I always thought Big Ron put him there.

pacifictheme

Maybe he's just bigging him up for the documentary, added bonus is he can pretend he meant nothing by it but it is sad their relationship is non-existant now.

Two peas from a pod and all that but Keane explained just why he won't speak to him in that Irish show with Gary Neville and if it's true it's fair enough.
Got a link to that Keane interview at all?