BT Sport

Tapori

Macca is just an awful commentator both BT and sky have made this mistake of employing ex players as commentators and it’s actually detrimental to the watching experience. Have them as pundits at least that way they’re not interfering and you can just skip over it. Amazon primes comms were excellent and if they get more games I hope they don’t resort to this.

Also Jake Humphries is a bellend
It's as if BT Sport are doing bellendry on purpose by hiring the mots unlikeable people or making unlikeable people tow a pre-scripted line.

And they sacked - the somewhat pretentious but at least knowledgeable and engaging - James Richardson.

Barry Davies class is no more
Even Andy Townsend was innocently better with Tyldesley and Earle
Peter Brackley is top drawer

A good co-commentator is meant to give a player/manager's live analysis of things we may have missed in tactics, build-up approach. Etc.

I cannot wait for Roy Kean to volunteer to do some co-commentary on big games though...

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Fletcher's badgering of Walton for the foul was ridiculous.

"Was it a foul? I'm asking you if it was a foul?!"

Desperate for confirmation to have an excuse.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The best part was the first time they went to him, they were having sound issues but you could quietly hear him say “no not really” :lol: then it went quiet and about 10 seconds later he came back with the “not offside but a foul”.

it made the Lyon goals even more sweeter :drool:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

What’s even more hilarious was he was clearly briefed by the director on what to say, because if you listen closely he says no at first then when they fix the “technical difficulty” he says yes. It’s just about pushing their narrative of creating controversy & talking points, instead of just giving Lyon credit for their massive efforts.

I don’t mind a little bias towards the British teams, but you could be forgiven if you thought you were watching City Fan TV last night. The meltdown in commentary sounded like DT & Troopz during an Arsenal game, just without the bloods & fams :lol:

Their coverage is horrible right now. They need to hire some pundits & commentators who have knowledge of other leagues outside of the PL. Because other than Hargreaves who clearly knows a bit about the Bundesliga, I don’t think anyone on their coverage watches any football outside of the PL.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't normally take much heed of the criticisms of BT Sport's coverage - it's not great but it generally doesn't detract from the match itself.

Today however, was awful. All semblance of impartiality went out the window. Fletcher having a full on orgasm over the equaliser, the weird insistence of Cornet being a diver, when Fernandinho had actually stepped on the back of his Achilles (which is generally very fecking painful!). Talking about Lyon crowding the ref but ignoring Garcia and the City players asking the ref to card Marcelo in the second half. The casual ignorance/borderline racism of referring to the wrong black player. Lineker saying that the tangle of legs would have been a penalty if it were in the box under VAR, and that we'd seen them given this season (when and where?!). And then hardly giving any credit to Lyon for their performance, where even with the period of City dominance in the second half, they still ended it having much more of the balance of opportunities created.

I'm sure there's more, but these were what I remembered.
It's their assumption that the fans of all English teams want other English teams to win in Europe. It might have been like that years ago, but that is not the case now.

DomesticTadpole

It's as if BT Sport are doing bellendry on purpose by hiring the mots unlikeable people or making unlikeable people tow a pre-scripted line.

And they sacked - the somewhat pretentious but at least knowledgeable and engaging - James Richardson.

Barry Davies class is no more
Even Andy Townsend was innocently better with Tyldesley and Earle
Peter Brackley is top drawer

A good co-commentator is meant to give a player/manager's live analysis of things we may have missed in tactics, build-up approach. Etc.

I cannot wait for Roy Kean to volunteer to do some co-commentary on big games though...
It's a bit like Talksport who hire p*ssheads. I am sure if they had a criminal record it would be even better. Most apart from Stuart Pearce and Ray Parlour (who I really like) are journeyman footballers who somehow think they are the voice of football.

Josep Dowling

What’s even more hilarious was he was clearly briefed by the director on what to say, because if you listen closely he says no at first then when they fix the “technical difficulty” he says yes. It’s just about pushing their narrative of creating controversy & talking points, instead of just giving Lyon credit for their massive efforts.

I don’t mind a little bias towards the British teams, but you could be forgiven if you thought you were watching City Fan TV last night. The meltdown in commentary sounded like DT & Troopz during an Arsenal game, just without the bloods & fams :lol:

Their coverage is horrible right now. They need to hire some pundits & commentators who have knowledge of other leagues outside of the PL. Because other than Hargreaves who clearly knows a bit about the Bundesliga, I don’t think anyone on their coverage watches any football outside of the PL.
Or keep up to date with the current rules or do any research on the teams they are watching. This is the biggest issue. Anyone can sit there talking about the game but their job is to provide additional knowledge. None of the new pundits do this. The likes of Ashley Cole when asked a question can’t even pronounce player names.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I don't want much from commentators but a non-annoying voice and someone who knows the laws of the game would be nice. How McManaman still co-commentates is beyond me. He's dreadful.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It's a bit like Talksport who hire p*ssheads. I am sure if they had a criminal record it would be even better. Most apart from Stuart Pearce and Ray Parlour (who I really like) are journeyman footballers who somehow think they are the voice of football.
Clinton Morrison is the latest and he's appearing everywhere recently. He was a gash striker and really not very good at being a pundit either.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The best part was the first time they went to him, they were having sound issues but you could quietly hear him say “no not really” :lol: then it went quiet and about 10 seconds later he came back with the “not offside but a foul”.

it made the Lyon goals even more sweeter :drool:
Walton wasn't at all interested in any idea of it being illegitimate to start with.

Then it was like someone was getting at him off mic and he suddenly decided there was a foul after all

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Clinton Morrison is the latest and he's appearing everywhere recently. He was a gash striker and really not very good at being a pundit either.
Yep he's a really odd pick.

You either want a top player who commands respect instantly or someone with actual knowledge and insight.

Most fall into the former pot but Morrison is neither.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It is also the assumption by the media this season that Liverpool is everybody's second team. Like feck it is. I heard that again and again. They are deluded. I did actually hear that.
Yep. They seem to think good attacking football makes a team a national treasure. Like with Newcastle in the mid 90s.

But Liverpool have caused a lot of resentment out there and this current team won't change that.

Loon

:lol:
Liverpool and Arsenal fans think nobody hates them as much as everyone hates United. Truth is, they're not much loved outside of their own support either.

It is also the assumption by the media this season that Liverpool is everybody's second team. Like feck it is. I heard that again and again. They are deluded. I did actually hear that.
I don’t know a single non Liverpool fan who wanted them to win this season (not just Utd fans). They are a horrible football club, and whilst that feeling may not be as strong for fans of other clubs, there’s no one I know who likes them as a second team.

DomesticTadpole

I don’t know a single non Liverpool fan who wanted them to win this season (not just Utd fans). They are a horrible football club, and whilst that feeling may not be as strong for fans of other clubs, there’s no one I know who likes them as a second team.
I agree. The media seem to have a different idea without actually asking fans of other clubs. They just like to try setting agendas.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool and Arsenal fans think nobody hates them as much as everyone hates United. Truth is, they're not much loved outside of their own support either.
Most of us know that's the case and to be honest, most of us also don't give a feck. You don't need to like us to appreciate that we're a good side in the same way that I have never liked Utd but always respected what they achieved on the pitch

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Liverpool will definitely be up there for obvious reasons.
But are Arsenal really that hated? They're more of an irrelevance to be honest, even living 30miles or so from their ground.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The post-match tonight feels especially bad. No attempt whatsoever to provide any insight to the match; just a pile onto VAR and the referee who made a number of marginal decisions.

The worst thing about the introduction of the VAR has been the straw-manning in punditry that argues that the use of VAR is only justifiable if football matches are then subsequently refereed perfectly.

Pagh Wraith

The post-match tonight feels especially bad. No attempt whatsoever to provide any insight to the match; just a pile onto VAR and the referee who made a number of marginal decisions.

The worst thing about the introduction of the VAR has been the straw-manning in punditry that argues that the use of VAR is only justifiable if football matches are then subsequently refereed perfectly.
Very true.

I've said it a few times now and it only seems to be getting worse. I think VAR really messed up tonight and West Brom should have had a pen and United not (foul in the build up) but still I don't want to hear about it after the match as I don't find discussing refereeing decisions particularly interesting. They actually spent the entire post-match segment to go on about VAR. Incredible.

Davie Moyes

I watched the match on BT HD rather than a crappy foreign stream for once and was very tempted to go back and find a crappy stream. I stuck to it after muting the sound.

I then watched a bit of the post match analysis and now have an headache. All I can say is I wish VAR never happened.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Clearly fishing for the clicks and engagements with the post match 'analysis.' They know talking about Man Utd gets our fans and opposition fans excited. Bruno nutmegged the West Brom player and then there was a clash of legs. They're out there acting like its a bigger injustice than Mandela being in prison. FFS. :rolleyes: I'm surprised Jake Humphrey didn't tweet 'STOP THE COUNT' after the ref reversed his decision to give West Brom a pen.

Red00012

Hoddle making Johnstone out to be some sort of hero after his performance tonight not one thing said about the rubbish finishing by Martial , Rashford and co

Monkey bus

I had to turn the post match analysis off. Just going over and over about the VAR stuff. No insight in to the game. No focus on Bruno’s passing range. They just wheel out that old fecking ref who gets it wrong half the time.
Absolute drivel.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The dismay when a decision doesn't benefit Liverpool is hilarious. VAR rules offside for a Liverpool goal...

Commentators: "But...but...but?"

cyberman

The dismay when a decision doesn't benefit Liverpool is hilarious. VAR rules offside for a Liverpool goal...

Commentators: "But...but...but?"
Theyre the Talksport of tv. They actively look for social media interaction.

binary bot
Their Geoff Shreeves equivalent is going full Paxman here:lol:

Dan_F

Definitely. I just posted something in the Klopp thread about them. It’s basically every game I watch on there. They have 100% been instructed to create controversy where there doesn’t need to be any.

cyberman

Definitely. I just posted something in the Klopp thread about them. It’s basically every game I watch on there. They have 100% been instructed to create controversy where there doesn’t need to be any.
They beg for tweets during their post match analysis. Its sickening to be honest

Jacko21

That's a good way of describing them.

I don't like their coverage, not least because Jake Humphrey seems to think he's a pundit rather than a presenter.