BT Sport

Zoo

I know they need to support the English clubs in Europe but it’s very tiresome how they make that only foreign teams engage in dark arts.

Chripper

The way that Ferdinand is talking about Atletico Madrid is an absolute disgrace.

"They should play like this every week"

He's talking about them like they're a pub team that have just crawled out of a cave.

Does Ferdinand not know that they're current La Liga champions?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
How is fletcher commentating ? Isn't he the fecking technical director ?

Tyrion

I know they need to support the English clubs in Europe but it’s very tiresome how they make that only foreign teams engage in dark arts.
It is irritating. They basically see the English team as protagonists and the opposition as villains.

Does Ferdinand not know that they're current La Liga champions?
Possibly not.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I thought BT Sport’s coverage of the game yesterday was very disrespectful towards Villarreal.

Jake Humphrey (presenter) kept on coming out with this line about how it’s Liverpool’s biggest game of the season but Villareal’s biggest game in their history. Which is nonsense.

Villareal have literally played a CL semi final before and were a whisker away from making the final (Riquelme missed penalty) back in 2006. In fact, they were seasoned CL regulars for majority of that decade. They finished 2nd and 3rd in La Liga around that time as well, and had a much better squad.

On top of that, this is a team that has literally won a European final last summer.

Then the analysis was way over the top for Liverpool. Calling VvD the GOAT after that display? The game was decided by a shambolic performance from the oppo gk. I just find the amount of smoke being blown up the arse of Liverpool quite misplaced.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's English punditry in general. They are PL and England orientated with little to no knowledge of other leagues.

SuperiorXI

Along with the refs, the broadcasting for football in this country is an absolute joke. The blatant arse kissing of Liverpool and City is way over the top, we never got this when we were good. And the complete lack of respect for non-English teams and lack of knowledge is hilarious. It's their job to know and they know about as much as the average fan, sometimes less.

GBBQ

Along with the refs, the broadcasting for football in this country is an absolute joke. The blatant arse kissing of Liverpool and City is way over the top, we never got this when we were good. And the complete lack of respect for non-English teams and lack of knowledge is hilarious. It's their job to know and they know about as much as the average fan, sometimes less.
Come on! Clive Tyldesley practically had an orgasm in ‘99. I mean they’re commentating on an English team facing a non English team. They don’t need to pretend not to be biased. It adds extra drama; ‘and Solskjaer has won it’ is the soundbite to my memories of that night. I’d have hated if he dispassionately called the score as 2-1.

We’re just pissed it’s not us

SuperiorXI

Come on! Clive Tyldesley practically had an orgasm in ‘99. I mean they’re commentating on an English team facing a non English team. They don’t need to pretend not to be biased. It adds extra drama; ‘and Solskjaer has won it’ is the soundbite to my memories of that night. I’d have hated if he dispassionately called the score as 2-1.

We’re just pissed it’s not us
Yeah because we got a winner in injury time in the final. There are undertones of superiority for certain teams these days and lots of recency bias even before a ball has been kicked. The commentary team should comment on the game without bias. If something glorious occurs in the game by all means go crazy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Champions League on ITV > all others. Coverage is so much worse on BT.

FujiVice

Steve McMamaman did not want City to go through last night. He may have sounded like it, but there was clear joy in his voice when Real went through.

The Corinthian

Deffo - I remember Andy Townsend used to be given dogs abuse for his punditry and commentating ("if anything he's hit that too well").

You don't realise how good you have it till it's gone. :(

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
100%.

It's probably just a childhood romance thing for me, but the prestige of the tournament kinda got lost when the CL was taken away from ITV.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
100%.

It's probably just a childhood romance thing for me, but the prestige of the tournament kinda got lost when the CL was taken away from ITV.
It's the idea that free to air means it's so important that everyone in the country should have the right to see it. Like the World Cup is.

Having it behind a paywall just takes away from it.

Anustart89

It’s not just an English team thing though, is it? When Atletico shithoused their way through the two legs against us there was none of the indignation from the commentators as there was when a foreign team had the audacity to attempt the dark arts against Liverpool or City, so there’s definitely something extra about the two of them that doesn’t universally apply to us, for whatever reason. That being said, Robbie Savage on the commentary was definitely rooting for us during the group stages.

lsd

The Oracle
100%.

Still remember big Ron before Ole's winner saying The keeper is not coming up this time they must be playing defensive

The Corinthian

It’s not just an English team thing though, is it? When Atletico shithoused their way through the two legs against us there was none of the indignation from the commentators as there was when a foreign team had the audacity to attempt the dark arts against Liverpool or City, so there’s definitely something extra about the two of them that doesn’t universally apply to us, for whatever reason. That being said, Robbie Savage on the commentary was definitely rooting for us during the group stages.
I think Savage and Rio are the only two I like from the BT Sport cadre.

Also, it was a really lovely wholesome moment when we gave Charlie Savage his debut vs Young Boys and Robbie was commentating!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It hit home to me when Vicinious did a lovely bit of skill early in the first half. He knocked it round De Bruyne on the edge of the box and then stuck it through Rodri’s legs. A wonderful run and lovely skill to draw the foul. McManaman says “he’s very lucky there…” ffs that will always ruin coverage in the country. Zero appreciation of the art, the skill, the entertainment, just pure obsession with ‘passion’ and ‘heart’. Yes they are important for ffs can we just enjoy some of the brilliance of these players too. The absolute best thing about La Liga coverage is that they actually show and replay those moments, in slow mo and actually appreciate them. No wonder the sport gets more boring every year!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think Savage and Rio are the only two I like from the BT Sport cadre.

Also, it was a really lovely wholesome moment when we gave Charlie Savage his debut vs Young Boys and Robbie was commentating!
Cannot stand Savage's nasally delivery myself. Makes big moments seem comical. The way he said Ronaldo's name for all of the goals in the group stage was so cringeworthy.

Tavern in the town

Cannot stand Savage's nasally delivery myself. Makes big moments seem comical. The way he said Ronaldo's name for all of the goals in the group stage was so cringeworthy.
I love him on commentary purely for the fact that he doesn’t even try to pretend he isn’t supporting us.

CraftySoAndSo

100%.

I don't really care for the Champions League anymore and it's not because United have been crap in it. Growing up my family didn't have sky or any other paid sports channels so i never really got to see much football on the tv. But when i did get to watch a match on free tv it meant everything to little me and are some of my fondest childhood memories. I remember the United semi final against Barcelona at the Nou Camp and spending the last 15 minutes hiding behind the sofa because i couldn't bear to watch. And at full time i was running around the house screaming because i'd never felt anything like that before.

But kids who are in a situation like i was growing up have even less football to watch. It's the same with F1, i quite liked it growing up seeing it every weekend on BBC but that's gone as well. They're missing a whole generation of little fans who can't watch these things anymore, just like i lost interest in F1 when i couldn't watch it anymore. Sport is for everyone no matter what background and i get pissed off seeing these companies deny those less fortunate the chance to experience these things.

Apokalips

I don't really care for the Champions League anymore and it's not because United have been crap in it. Growing up my family didn't have sky or any other paid sports channels so i never really got to see much football on the tv. But when i did get to watch a match on free tv it meant everything to little me and are some of my fondest childhood memories. I remember the United semi final against Barcelona at the Nou Camp and spending the last 15 minutes hiding behind the sofa because i couldn't bear to watch. And at full time i was running around the house screaming because i'd never felt anything like that before.

But kids who are in a situation like i was growing up have even less football to watch. It's the same with F1, i quite liked it growing up seeing it every weekend on BBC but that's gone as well. They're missing a whole generation of little fans who can't watch these things anymore, just like i lost interest in F1 when i couldn't watch it anymore. Sport is for everyone no matter what background and i get pissed off seeing these companies deny those less fortunate the chance to experience these things.
I agree, it is definitely a huge loss to these sports that young people do not have the same level of access to these moments as they used to. Worst thing is, as mentioned, BT coverage is pretty trash and not worth paying the additional subscriptions.

Judas

Open to offers
I enjoy how much Savage wants us to win, its like having a fan on commentary. But "Fletch" is appalling, and how BT have him as their main guy, even for bloody boxing is mad.

Steve McMamaman did not want City to go through last night. He may have sounded like it, but there was clear joy in his voice when Real went through.
Yeah and its not a surprise, former Real and Liverpool player. I don't mind logical bias like that, it's almost to be expected.

The Corinthian

Cringe from BT Sport tonight. Michael Owen doing his best to try and endear himself back to Liverpool FC and their fans. Can’t wait for CL footy to move to a different broadcaster.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They've ruined the Champions League experience. Hand it back to ITV please.