Gaming Building a gaming PC

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Will be building a new pc in the coming months, I’m giving my current rig (gtx 1070) to my stepson and starting fresh.

My plan is to go with the new Ryzen 5 5600 on release alongside a RTX 3070, 16gb ram and a 1 tb ssd.

This will be my first build using a water cooler for the cpu, I’m planning on getting the nzxt x63 kraken, how are these coolers? are they worth it or should I keep it simple and go with a fan cooler?
They're good aio's but for Ryzen 5 you won't need an aio. Something like this will do a terrific job for 5600.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...F5H0ckehcDK3XcOLwNNS6B5zU4VkZFIUaAoH_EALw_wcB

That extra £100 you could put towards a beefier GPU.

Castia

Paxi

Good idea tbh. I’m currently using the cooler master hyper 212 and it’s been great and was a similar price, I could go with something similar.
Its up to you mate but work out what you're really going to benefit from. AIO are cool and all but if you're working on a budget with a midrange cpu then it's probably not going to be worth it. I'd pair Ryzen 5 with some e fast memory with low timings as well. You'll notice a difference there.

Adamsk7

Does anyone know what the Ryzen 5600x is gonna retail for? It’s $299 in the US and I’ve seen some sites have a “coming soon” page at £280....

I have a Max budget of £200-230ish for my build and was hoping it’d be closer to that range but seems not. Anyone think the 3600 (or XT)is still a good buy?

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
Does anyone know what the Ryzen 5600x is gonna retail for? It’s $299 in the US and I’ve seen some sites have a “coming soon” page at £280....

I have a Max budget of £200-230ish for my build and was hoping it’d be closer to that range but seems not. Anyone think the 3600 (or XT)is still a good buy?
Yeah the 3600 is a great processor in whatever guise you get it in!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Anyone know where I can get: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Black 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-22400 2800MHz Quad Channel Kit

from?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Balljy

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Trying to add it to another set to make 64gig; they have to be the same, right?

It's generally not recommended to match one set of timings to another?

Can't find 2800mhz's for the life of me. :(

Found quite a few other timings but they're not viable for me, I think?

Thanks for having a look, btw.
You can run different timings it’ll run at the slower rams speed so you may have some success pairing 3200mhz with 2800mhz

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You can run different timings it’ll run at the slower rams speed so you may have some success pairing 3200mhz with 2800mhz
Is there no issues with that i.e. it's seamless? Don't want to make my machine unstable or crashy, etc.

Always thought you were supposed to run the same RAM across the full set!

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Is there no issues with that i.e. it's seamless? Don't want to make my machine unstable or crashy, etc.

Always thought you were supposed to run the same RAM across the full set!
I “upgraded” a friend old Lenovo think centre with an 8gb stick of DDR3 I had lying around. He had 2 x 4GB 1066mhz and I put the 8gb 1666mhz and it ran fine no difference apart from some programs ran better. The 1666 downclocked to 1066.
In a previous build I ran 4 x 4GB sticks from 2 sets from different companies (Corsair and Team group) and I didn’t have a problem either. I think it’s just that in rare occasions they can cause a conflict so it’s the best practice but I think that DDR4 will work better mixed than say DDR2 or earlier

Is 64gb really needed though? What processor are you running? Because you may get more performance just by overclocking the ram?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I “upgraded” a friend old Lenovo think centre with an 8gb stick of DDR3 I had lying around. He had 2 x 4GB 1066mhz and I put the 8gb 1666mhz and it ran fine no difference apart from some programs ran better. The 1666 downclocked to 1066.
In a previous build I ran 4 x 4GB sticks from 2 sets from different companies (Corsair and Team group) and I didn’t have a problem either.

Is 64gb really needed though? What processor are you running? Because you may get more performance just by overclocking the ram?
Ah right. That's pretty cool. Didn't know you could do that - always just bought the sets as has been advised. Was even thinking of selling the RAM I have and getting a complete set in 64gb.

I need a new rig, but far too expensive to partake in this year with all that's draining my funds, so I'm going to up my RAM for now and then demote this whole machine to a second next year when I start the new build.

My machine is ancient by today's standards as I've not upgraded since 2015:

Asus X99 RAMPAGE V EXTREME Motherboard
Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Unlocked Processor Haswell-E
Corsair 900D Obsidian Super Tower Case
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Black 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-22400 2800MHz Quad Channel Kit

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Ah right. That's pretty cool. Didn't know you could do that - always just bought the sets as has been advised. Was even thinking of selling the RAM I have and getting a complete set in 64gb.

I need a new rig, but far too expensive to partake in this year with all that's draining my funds, so I'm going to up my RAM for now and then demote this whole machine to a second next year when I start the new build.

My machine is ancient by today's standards as I've not upgraded since 2015:

Asus X99 RAMPAGE V EXTREME Motherboard
Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Unlocked Processor Haswell-E
Corsair 900D Obsidian Super Tower Case
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Black 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-22400 2800MHz Quad Channel Kit
Tbh I wouldn’t bother with the ram upgrade. Unless you’re going to edit 4K video. You won’t get a massive performance upgrade. Your i7 is still respectable enough. So I would put the money in a safe place and use it to add to the new build whenever you get round to it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Tbh I wouldn’t bother with the ram upgrade. Unless you’re going to edit 4K video. You won’t get a massive performance upgrade. Your i7 is still respectable enough. So I would put the money in a safe place and use it to add to the new build whenever you get round to it.
Hmmm.. I top out 32gb quite frequently with what I have going on. I want the extra RAM not just for now, but to keep this rig in a decent state for years to come when it becomes the second.

Balljy

Hmmm.. I top out 32gb quite frequently with what I have going on. I want the extra RAM not just for now, but to keep this rig in a decent state for years to come when it becomes the second.
Do you do a lot of CAD or Photoshop work? 16 GB is a lot for casual PC usage and 32GB is extreme for that.

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Maybe check what’s running in the background? A fairly mature install will have a lot of programs running in the background and at startup etc. What’s your typical workload?

ArjenIsM3

Anyone getting the RTX3070 then? I'm not sure myself. Got two orders for the RTX3080 at different shops but no luck so far. No GPU atm means I can't use my PC which is far from ideal. The RTX3070 is an upgrade from the RTX2080 Super I had but not quite what I had in mind when I sold that one. Part of me is thinking get the RTX3070 tomorrow so you'll have something at least, part of me says I'm better off waiting till at least after the AMD presentation tomorrow evening. By that time however I imagine all the RTX3070's will be gone and if AMD announce it'll be another month till their cards are available... well that's just a bit crap isn't it?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Why are Nvidia still facing stock issues for the 3080? This is ridiculous for you guys.

Paxi

Why are Nvidia still facing stock issues for the 3080? This is ridiculous for you guys.
No idea. But hopefully AMD can share the load. I'm not expecting stock to normalise until February probably.

Paxi

Brilliant GPU announcements for AMD.

6900xt for $999 is making me happy I haven't gotten my hands on 3000 series yet.

Paxi

This is what I'm thinking also.
My only issue I guess is outside of gaming, havethey improved driver support etc
That is true. But so far the numbers look great. NVIDIA with RTX 3080 ti coming right up.

Paxi

Any idea on UK pricing? I'm expecting NVIDIA to suddenly start coming up with the gpu's that weren't available. Brilliant announcement which keeps the competition neck and neck - which is obviously brilliant for the consumer.

Balljy

I'd be a bit careful until benchmarks come out. It looks like it's going to be great at brute force to me, hence the impressive graphs but ray tracing is definitely going to become mainstream and dlss possibly. The 30 series has a large portion of hardware for those purposes so AMD will suffer in some big games. Of course, if you're not worried about Ray Tracing AMD is definitely looking an easy choice to make.

One other factor - Cyberpunk Ray Tracing is Nvidia only until the console patch next year. Not necessarily a problem, but I don't think the impressive graphs show everything yet. The 3090 is dead in the water though - beaten by a $999 card in pure grunt!

Paxi

Hmmm....and with (way) more VRAM than the 3070. Then again, I'm not gaming at 4k so I wonder if I really need that.
But we don't know how 6800 will perform in Ray Tracing and it doesn't have a DLSS equivalent.

Paxi

Really good video for needs, this.