Gaming Building a gaming PC

Loon

:lol:
I would love to bulid a cheap PC just to be able play FM again without endless waiting. My elderly computers blew their arse out with FM 2015.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I would love to bulid a cheap PC just to be able play FM again without endless waiting. My elderly computers blew their arse out with FM 2015.
~500€ will get you there easily.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm tempted to build a new pc but it doesn't seem worth it right now, not a lot of great PC games on the horizon at the moment and GPUs and RAM are just too expensive.

Maybe in 10 years when Cyberpunk comes out.

Loon

:lol:
What would you budget be? And what are your old systems? Maybe there are some components that could be re-used.
I have an old Asus laptop which ran Vista, I only use my Thinkpad with updated SSD and Ubuntu now as it’s mainly for word processing.

I also have a 2010 MacBook which I put an SSD in and it works a treat now, but useless for something like FM.

I don’t actually have an upgradable computer, do I?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I have an old Asus laptop which ran Vista, I only use my Thinkpad with updated SSD and Ubuntu now as it’s mainly for word processing.

I also have a 2010 MacBook which I put an SSD in and it works a treat now, but useless for something like FM.

I don’t actually have an upgradable computer, do I?
Yeah, not really :D

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
How much more comfortable are those chairs compared to regular nice office chairs? I do alot of work on my computer and always wondered about those race car seat chairs
i have no experience with this particular model, and i trust it is as good as Bloody says, it then would be one of the very few gaming chairs that don't suck. Most gaming chairs are just cheapo office chairs in funny colors and not really worth the money.
A really good quality chair for 8-10hrs+ daily use starts at ~800€ - there's a reason companies spend that kind of money.
Spend any less and you may get fancy design, but not really better quality components than on a 69€ IKEA one.

I'm talking the quality of the mechanics and the gas spring, the durability of the fabric etc.
That doesn't mean gaming chairs are obviously uncomfortable. Most feel great initially if you don't have a precondition. Gamers who *do* have a precondition (for example circonflexes) spend real money on chairs..

Last edited:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I'm waiting for my parts to be delivered. The CPU, RAM, PSU, and cooler have all been dispatched but the MoBo still hasn't. Ordered on the 29th of March ffs.

Also noticing GPU prices slowly coming down.
Most of my stuff came today! :D The thing is, it all came separately, was like that scene from The Santa Claus were different delivery trucks are constantly pulling up outside of Tim Allen's gaf.

Was kinda embarrassing tbh. :lol:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm no expert, but from the little I've read, for out and out gaming, the 8700k is better, not by much, but better, but if you're looking for all round performance then the Ryzen is very good

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I'm no expert, but from the little I've read, for out and out gaming, the 8700k is better, not by much, but better, but if you're looking for all round performance then the Ryzen is very good
From the gaming benchmarks ive seen the 8700k is giving 5% more fps in 1080p resolution. However, if you increase the resolution to 1440p then they're even. Bare in mind that the 8700k costs way more.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
From the gaming benchmarks ive seen the 8700k is giving 5% more fps in 1080p resolution. However, if you increase the resolution to 1440p then they're even. Bare in mind that the 8700k costs way more.
Yeah, apparently that is due to the GPU bottlenecking or something.
Although I did read somewhere that if you read the small print on one of them articles, they also tested it slightly different so the AMD performed at an equal standard

Again, I know nothing about this stuff really as I'm new to this sort of stuff. Only saying what I've read and it is mostly opinions so I could be totally wrong

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just ordered my new desktop and monitors! :D

2x Acer 24" Predator XB240H
144hz, not the best monitor in its price range but was on offer so I paid the price of one for two with slightly less quality. Will still be a upgrade on my current monitors. I also don't play FPS games so it's not super important for me.

NZXT H700i White
Maximus Hero (wifi)
Corsair Plat 1000w PSU
i9-9900KF
Corsair Hydro H150i
Nvidia Titan RTX
6TB SSD storage.
64GB 3200Mhz CL14 ram.
Elgato game capture HD60 pro

Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Just ordered my new desktop and monitors! :D

2x Acer 24" Predator XB240H
144hz, not the best monitor in its price range but was on offer so I paid the price of one for two with slightly less quality. Will still be a upgrade on my current monitors. I also don't play FPS games so it's not super important for me.

Desktop:
Komplett battlebox Ultimate
Fractal design define C Temp G

Processor:
i7 8700K (3.7Ghz can be clocked to 4.7Ghz) 6-cores 12-threads.

Ram:
16GB (4x4) 2666MHz HyperX Fury

Motherboard:
Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming, S1151

GPU:
GeForce Gtx 1080 Ti 11 GB 1506/1620MHz

HDD's:
512GB ssd (2050/800MB/s)
1TB hdd
(have a few 2tb hdd's laying around)

Cooler:
Corsair Hydro series H100i v2

Was on sale from 26k NOK (32k with monitors) and paid 24k NOK in total. Will be good to not have to worry about switching out everything once something goes to hell on my Alienware anymore. Can upgrade bits instead of all of it at once. :drool:
Nice!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
How are you on controllers? If you want to try one for free, Fortnite is very well balanced that way and you can compete well on controller/auto-aim.

Otherwise, nice rig ;) What game are you planning to put it through it's paces with first?
Thanks!
I'm horrible on controllers as well. I was never made to play shooters! :lol:

I'm not sure yet, I'm thinking maybe TW3 with the blurry part of the Witcher senses turned off. :drool:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Fractal design define C Temp G
Seen dozens of various case reviews lately, and think I'm in love with Fractal Design. How do you like your Define C? My price range will probably be Define C or S (nano versions as well), and Meshify C. Sadly, beauty that is R6 is out of my price range.

This is Define C I believe...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Seen dozens of various case reviews lately, and think I'm in love with Fractal Design. How do you like your Define C? My price range will probably be Define C or S (nano versions as well), and Meshify C. Sadly, beauty that is R6 is out of my price range.

This is Define C I believe...

That's the one I have indeed. ^^,
I like it. Looks clean (i'm more minimalistic than say tons of fancy stuff/buttons to be had).
The part on the top has different options, some use a lid there so it's all just one plate, others have it free so it's easier for air to go through and some (myself included) use the dust-filter you can put up there. It does gather some dust, naturally, but I'm guessing anyone looking to get a desktop knows or will find out that it comes with some cleaning-duties around it.

In short: I'm very happy.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I have no idea what I'm doing. In fact I'm not even building it by myself. I'm getting someone to do it for me.

Getting a R9 390x 8gb card put in tomorrow. It sounds fun so I'm well up for it..

Seriously though, it's quite addictive and I've spent about 4 hours trying to understand what 'bottlenecking' is.

It's like trying to teach offside to a ....

Oh.. can't say that anymore.

Iron Stove

I have a Define C as well. It's a nice case. Size is perfect for me and I like the look. But I'm thinking of maybe changing to the Meshify C because of the better airflow

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I have no idea what I'm doing. In fact I'm not even building it by myself. I'm getting someone to do it for me.

Getting a R9 390x 8gb card put in tomorrow. It sounds fun so I'm well up for it..

Seriously though, it's quite addictive and I've spent about 4 hours trying to understand what 'bottlenecking' is.

It's like trying to teach offside to a ....

Oh.. can't say that anymore.
Bottlenecking is just a word to express which part is holding performance back from being higher.
If all parts bar the processor can go further in performance then the processor is bottlenecking the rig.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I want a gaming PC that can run the upcoming Total war: Three kingdoms on high settings. So I went to a local store and saw a 3000 euro PC. Surely you can get a top of the line thing for less?!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I want a gaming PC that can run the upcoming Total war: Three kingdoms on high settings. So I went to a local store and saw a 3000 euro PC. Surely you can get a top of the line thing for less?!
Yes you can.

Paxi

What's the ballpark price then? Doesn't have to be the absolute pinnacle of technology, but something that can run anything for a few years to come.
About 800 euros I'd think for a decent rig.

Massive Spanner

About 800 euros I'd think for a decent rig.
You wouldn't get much for 800 quid, now. Not including a monitor and periperhals.

RAM is so expensive now that if you want 16gb that's already around €150 down the drain.

A good GFX card that'll comfortably last 4 to 5 years is probably ~€400.

That's 500-600 without a CPU, Mobo, PSU, Case, Hard-drive(s) (probably will want both an SSD and 3.5"), keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers/headset etc.

800 would get you an OK budget gaming PC, I guess. If you want anything with longevity you're looking well over a grand.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You wouldn't get much for 800 quid, now. Not including a monitor and periperhals.

RAM is so expensive now that if you want 16gb that's already around €150 down the drain.

That's 500-600 without a CPU, Mobo, PSU, Case, Hard-drive(s) (probably will want both an SSD and 3.5"), keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers/headset etc.

800 would get you an OK budget gaming PC, I guess. If you want anything with longevity you're looking well over a grand.
Soooo, 1250 would get me quite far? I dont need a monitor by the way.

0le

How come RAM got so expensive?

Paxi

Yeah 800 just for the PC tower. it's not going to be earth shattering but you should be able to get decent frame rate at medium to high setting at 1080p for that price I think.

0le

Monopoly by the 3 or 4 companies that make it.

Plus it's become more profitable for them to make RAM for smartphones so stocks of PC RAM are lower now.
Damn, I understand now. Thanks for the info.

Massive Spanner

So I built my new rig last night and it worked fine.

It took absolutely ages though. NZXT cases look nice and are great for cable management but feck me if they aren't awkward to assemble, and why the hell do they use actual screws instead of twisty tops like Corsair? The build took fecking ages cause of that stupid case, but at least it looks nice, I guess.

Anyone noticed with AMD mobos that they're slow to boot up initially? I got an NVMe drive so once it gets to the Windows part it's lightning quick, but it takes a good 10-15 seconds to get there. The screen, mouse, and keyboard don't even turn on for the first 10 seconds of that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So I built my new rig last night and it worked fine.

It took absolutely ages though. NZXT cases look nice and are great for cable management but feck me if they aren't awkward to assemble, and why the hell do they use actual screws instead of twisty tops like Corsair? The build took fecking ages cause of that stupid case, but at least it looks nice, I guess.

Anyone noticed with AMD mobos that they're slow to boot up initially? I got an NVMe drive so once it gets to the Windows part it's lightning quick, but it takes a good 10-15 seconds to get there. The screen, mouse, and keyboard don't even turn on for the first 10 seconds of that.
Have you checked the BIOS settings? There is probably some configuration you can do to improve that loading time.

Massive Spanner

Have you checked the BIOS settings? There is probably some configuration you can do to improve that loading time.
Good idea! Seeing quite a few people complaining about MSI boot times, apparently you can disable the logo and stuff so I'll give those a go.

Incidentally, is there something you're supposed to do with RAM in the BIOS too? Like set it to the correct MHz, or maybe I'm making that up.