Gaming Building a gaming PC

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
You'd definitely get some bottleneck problems with the CPU, but you'd still see improvements on your machine
I currently play everything full at 720p 60hz.

I'm looking to run everything full, but at 1080p and 144hz. Would be enough to get the rtx3070? Or even something like a 2070 super?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

I'm looking to run everything full, but at 1080p and 144hz. Would be enough to get the rtx3070? Or even something like a 2070 super?
What’s your full spec? You could need a whole new system. But I mean for about £1000 you’ll get 1080p 144hz. 10600k and 3070 with some good ram with tight timings. Definitely with DLSS.

Paxi

@Igor Drefljak

Yeah just watched this video too. He’s really good without rambling like Steve Burke etc. I’d say he’s my favourite, out of the lot for laymen explanations which I need a lot.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

To be fair, the 3070 would easily hit them figures, but your CPU would definitely hold you back.
I'm not saying it would, but that AMD card they dropped earlier this year (I forget the model) can be had quite cheap, performs near on par with a 7700k for cheap. You'd need a new motherboard though

George Owen

What’s your full spec? You could need a whole new system. But I mean for about £1000 you’ll get 1080p 144hz. 10600k and 3070 with some good ram with tight timings. Definitely with DLSS.

* Power source is a Seasonic 600W, 80 plus.

the PC is a beast in general, works perfect, super fast, etc, so I'm hoping not to replace it yet.

So, if i get a 22 or 24" , only 1080p 144hz monitor, what gpu would help me max out the settings of any game? Would a rtx 2060/2070 be enough?

George Owen

To be fair, the 3070 would easily hit them figures, but your CPU would definitely hold you back.
I'm not saying it would, but that AMD card they dropped earlier this year (I forget the model) can be had quite cheap, performs near on par with a 7700k for cheap. You'd need a new motherboard though
yeah, I think one of those would be overpower. Those are probably aimed for much higher resolutions than 1080p.

My current GPU, has lifetime warranty, but the fecker refuses to die. Maybe I can send an email to XFX asking if I can send them my old GPU for them to replace it with the current equivalent (without another lifetime warranty of course).

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

the PC is a beast in general, works perfect, super fast, etc, so I'm hoping not to replace it yet.

So, if i get a 22 or 24" , only 1080p 144hz monitor, what gpu would help me max out the settings of any game? Would a rtx 2060/2070 be enough?
2060 is the max i'd go and even that will probably be too much for the cpu. You're also probably using 1600mhz ram speed?
edit: Oc' your ram sticks to at least 1866mhz

Last edited:

GifLord

yep. Crucial Ballistix tracer. My favourites.
no cpu oc?
OC the ram sticks to at least 1866
you'll gain a few % on average(better 1% lows aswell) in cpu intensive game.
2060 would be the max i'd go.
I had a xeon 1231v3 (4770locked) and it was bottlenecking a 1070 in some games.
Currently on a ryzen 3700x and i'll probably have to swap it with a 4000 series when it comes so i can fully take advantage of the rtx 3070

George Owen

no cpu oc?

Currently on a ryzen 3700x and i'll probably have to swap it with a 4000 series when it comes so i can fully take advantage of the rtx 3070
Cheers.
yeah it seems that would be the sweet spot for my current predicament (not wanting to change nothing else).

I prefer not to overlock. I used to love it, but its been a while and kinda forget everything about it. I just prefer to plug and play nowadays.

I remember back in the day, I had an Intel E8400 that would run 24/7 at 4.5ghz. Then I had the q9650, the i7 920, i7 940 and a XEON equivalent to the i7 970. I overlock the shit out of all of those (always air cooled), but as I said, I kinda forget how to do it. (I know the new boards can do it by themselves).

Paxi

You need a new system for a gpu that you’re looking. That would include a new motherboard, cpu, cooler, ram. I mean you could keep the ssd but you can pick up NVMe drives for a decent price now. Your whole system will probably be bottlenecking any modern gpu. Especially 3070. You might think it’s still fast but trust me, you’ll be blown away by new CPU’s and GPU’s and the speeds of NVMe gen 4 if you go the Ryzen route.

You wont be getting high FPS with any 2000 or 3000 series. Your cpu will be the limiting factor.

You could pick up B550 mobo, 3300x and RTX 3060 in a couple of months for a fairly decent price.

Ryzen 3 3300x Small AMD air cooler included — £120.00
B550 MSI A-Pro — £140.00
Team Group 2x8 DDR4 RAM 3200 CL14 — £99.95
And a new GPU something like 2070 super or 30 series equivalent. In any case second hand market is going to be absolutely saturated with comparable cards for very very competitive prices. I’d say £250 will definitely get you one for sure.

Im presuming you’ve got a case, enough storage and PSU obviously. For around £600 you would get a decent gaming rig for 1080. Watch the video below for comparison. Although in the benchmark faster RAM is used which will give a slightly better performance but it will be close.

Last edited:

Paxi

no cpu oc?
I don’t think Ryzen 3700x is going to be bottlenecking 3070 seeing as it’s perfectly fine with 2080ti. By all means upgrade to Renoir but you shouldn’t just because you think zen 2 is holding you back.

GifLord

I don’t think Ryzen 3700x is going to be bottlenecking 3070 seeing as it’s perfectly fine with 2080ti. By all means upgrade to Renoir but you shouldn’t just because you think zen 2 is holding you back.
The problem is you're not completely gpu bottlenecked on a ryzen system even at 1440p when paired with a 2080ti. The 3070 is apparently gonna be faster and i don't want the worse case scenario like Far Cry for example where the differences between intel cpu counterpart are close to 30%. Gonna wait for benchmarks and see.

George Owen

You need a new system for a gpu that you’re looking. That would include a new motherboard, cpu, cooler, ram. I mean you could keep the ssd but you can pick up NVMe drives for a decent price now. Your whole system will probably be bottlenecking any modern gpu. Especially 3070. You might think it’s still fast but trust me, you’ll be blown away by new CPU’s and GPU’s and the speeds of NVMe gen 4 if you go the Ryzen route.

You wont be getting high FPS with any 2000 or 3000 series. Your cpu will be the limiting factor.
Cheers. I might have to buy everything from scratch.

Paxi

The problem is you're not completely gpu bottlenecked on a ryzen system even at 1440p when paired with a 2080ti. The 3070 is apparently gonna be faster and i don't want the worse case scenario like Far Cry for example where the differences between intel cpu counterpart are close to 30%. Gonna wait for benchmarks and see.
Fair enough. But far cry is the exception. At higher resolution CPU groupings really tighten up.

Paxi

Yeah I edited my post just to give you an idea. You can definitely game at 144hz for a reasonable amount now. Maybe even 1440p. Might not be 144hz limit but 100fps or so which is still very respectable and at higher res.

Paxi

On another note I just bought this for my new rig. I couldn’t help it. It’s a decent aio and will cool 10700k no problem but it looks absolutely amazing. Saving £40.00 on it. Had to pull the trigger.

Rake

I have a similar PC, but with 4460 + 1070TI(which I managed to get on the cheap from an ex-miner). I run a 27inch 1440p 75fps monitor and it`s been great.

The thing is the higher you go in res, you start getting GPU bottlenecked. If you don't want to change your whole PC now, get a new card and 1440p monitor and you should be perfectly fine.

Just for reference , although I haven't played and AAA games in a while, I get constant 75fps in Witcher 3 with high settings and Ultra HD textures loaded.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You could easily game at 1080p 144mhz on your current rig with a Radeon 5700 XT or GTX 2060 Super. You'd probably be more than fine at 1440p too. I think it's important to note this if you'd rather spend £300 as opposed to £1000+ just to avoid some CPU bottlenecking that will be very minimal at those resolutions.

Last edited:

Ainu

What sort of bottlenecking are we talking about? Without checking benchmarks, I'm assuming an rtx 3070 and 3700x is going to result in 144+ fps in most titles at 1440p. I mean, I'm getting that in most games with a 2080 Ti and 3700x at that resolution, unless there's heavy raytracing, but then you're getting GPU bound. If you're CPU bound at higher than 144 fps, it really doesn't matter if that's your max monitor Hz.

GifLord

What sort of bottlenecking are we talking about? Without checking benchmarks, I'm assuming an rtx 3070 and 3700x is going to result in 144+ fps in most titles at 1440p. I mean, I'm getting that in most games with a 2080 Ti and 3700x at that resolution, unless there's heavy raytracing, but then you're getting GPU bound. If you're CPU bound at higher than 144 fps, it really doesn't matter if that's your max monitor Hz.
In some games the ryzen cpu's cant take full advantage of the high end gpu's because high frequency is still king when it comes to gaming.
A year ago people were going but who's gonna pair a 2080ti for 1080p/1440p gaming
yet now we're getting even faster gpu's for 1/3 of the prices not to mention 300hz monitors are coming too.

George Owen

You could easily game at 1080p 144mhz on your current rig with a Radeon 5700 XT or GTX 2060 Super. You'd probably be more than fine at 1440p too. I think it's important to note this if you'd rather spend £300 as opposed to £1000+ just to avoid some CPU bottlenecking that will be very minimal at those resolutions.
I have a similar PC, but with 4460 + 1070TI(which I managed to get on the cheap from an ex-miner). I run a 27inch 1440p 75fps monitor and it`s been great.

The thing is the higher you go in res, you start getting GPU bottlenecked. If you don't want to change your whole PC now, get a new card and 1440p monitor and you should be perfectly fine.

Just for reference , although I haven't played and AAA games in a while, I get constant 75fps in Witcher 3 with high settings and Ultra HD textures loaded.
Cheers guys. Yeah. I think I'll go with my first instinct and just upgrade the GPU/monitor and work my way up from there if necessary. I definitely prefer to spend as less as possible, because I don't have much time to play anyway. My brother gonna come visit in november, and he lives in the US, so I'll wait for the cyberweek deals (October).

Witcher 3 is precisely the game I want to play first. Bought it several years ago and still haven't played it.

@MaxiPaxi thanks for the replies. I'll ask you for advice when the time to build from scratch comes.

JB7

So I built my first PC in years earlier this year, pretty standard build I think using a Ryzen 3600, B450, 2070 Super. Tend to game in 4K and it's been fine with everything I've thrown at it so far (use it with a big TV screen so it's never pushed it above 60fps) but as always seems to be the case, the new product on the block is exciting me - is it worth jumping to the 3070 when that comes out or shall I keep the £500 in my pocket? :lol:

Skeezix

@Igor Drefljak

Yeah just watched this video too. He’s really good without rambling like Steve Burke etc. I’d say he’s my favourite, out of the lot for laymen explanations which I need a lot.

He makes quite good custom builds especially for celebrities. The one he made for Terry Crews and his reaction to the build was wholesome. Post Malone on the other hand was so lethargic. Haha
Personally, I don't like the guy, seems a bit smug to me. But that is just a vibe I get from him and I could be very wrong.

I like Bitwit's videos too as he does builds for a lot of families and friends and the budgets are reasonable and the components he uses are mostly readily available cross-country.
Another upcoming channel (very few subscribers still) with proper explanation for builds is Roo Tech's channel. His video quality is not up to the mark but the contents and explanations are terrific (especially for first time builders)

For mini-ITX builds, I will recommend Optimum Tech's channel. The guy's mini-ITX form factor builds are just so good. And terrific Video quality.

For exotic mods and people who like both PC building and Wood/Metal - working videos, Not From Concentrate 's videos are a joy to watch. Kind of therapeutic too.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So I built my first PC in years earlier this year, pretty standard build I think using a Ryzen 3600, B450, 2070 Super. Tend to game in 4K and it's been fine with everything I've thrown at it so far (use it with a big TV screen so it's never pushed it above 60fps) but as always seems to be the case, the new product on the block is exciting me - is it worth jumping to the 3070 when that comes out or shall I keep the £500 in my pocket? :lol:
Probably not.
Depends what TV you've got though I guess. They're saying the 3080 will play most games at 60fps 4k with ray tracing.
If you play single player games and want amazing graphics, I'd wait a bit and go for the 3080 so you'd be hitting the max your TV can give you back

The 3070 will be somewhat in between, which isn't a bad thing, far from it, so is still a great option, but I'd be a bit sick upgrading my GPU after 6months

Skeezix

If you can sell off the 2070 super, then go for the 3070. It seems to be bang for the buck and rumored to be even faster than the 2080ti at the same time with less power consumption.
But if you are not selling off hte 2070 super, then not worth the upgrade I'd say. 2070 super is still very good.

Paxi

He makes quite good custom builds especially for celebrities. The one he made for Terry Crews and his reaction to the build was wholesome. Post Malone on the other hand was so lethargic. Haha
Personally, I don't like the guy, seems a bit smug to me. But that is just a vibe I get from him and I could be very wrong.

I like Bitwit's videos too as he does builds for a lot of families and friends and the budgets are reasonable and the components he uses are mostly readily available cross-country.
Another upcoming channel (very few subscribers still) with proper explanation for builds is Roo Tech's channel. His video quality is not up to the mark but the contents and explanations are terrific (especially for first time builders)

For mini-ITX builds, I will recommend Optimum Tech's channel. The guy's mini-ITX form factor builds are just so good. And terrific Video quality.

For exotic mods and people who like both PC building and Wood/Metal - working videos, Not From Concentrate 's videos are a joy to watch. Kind of therapeutic too.
Yeah I watch optimum tech, that’s a really good channel. With Jay, I don’t know if he’s smug or not but they all just seem to have a laugh except for Steve Burke. I like Bitwit too and I haven’t heard of others.

Paxi

:drool:

Fractal Meshify C Mid tower case
Corsair RM 750W 80 Plus Gold
MSI Z490 Tomahawk motherboard
10700K OC to 5.0 GHz
Kraken Z63 AIO
3600MHz CL14 Memory
Sabrent Rocket NVMe ssd 1TB
RTX 3080 FE

£1950 give or take a couple quid is what my new rig will cost. Got all the components except the video card. I don’t think it’s too bad considering this is going to be a very capable pc for gaming and productivity (of which I do very little) for the next few years.

Skeezix

Fractal Meshify C Mid tower case
Corsair RM 750W 80 Plus Gold
MSI Z490 Tomahawk motherboard
10700K OC to 5.0 GHz
Kraken Z63 AIO
3600MHz CL14 Memory
Sabrent Rocket NVMe ssd 1TB
RTX 3080 FE
Oooooh! Feisty rig there if you can build it to fruition. I can only look at you with envy at this stage.

My only doubt there would be the power supply. Why don't you go for atleast 850W considering you are planning to Overclock that Intel chip, which is already power hungry. Plus, the 3080 alone would consume about 320-350W already.

Paxi

Oooooh! Feisty rig there if you can build it to fruition. I can only look at you with envy at this stage.

My only doubt there would be the power supply. Why don't you go for atleast 850W considering you are planning to Overclock that Intel chip, which is already power hungry. Plus, the 3080 alone would consume about 320-350W already.

“The official NVIDIA website states a 750W PSU is required for the RTX 3080 or 3090” That’s according to overclockers. But I’ve heard Not an Apple fan say that a good 750 will be good enough. It was a 30 quid price difference so not insignificant and I’m hoping 11gen intel chips will be more power efficient on 10 nm. So yeah just went with a good 750watt one. And thanks I was planning on it for a long time but you can build a similar one by just going the AMD route. 3600x and a good 550 board and that’s less than the 10700k right there and no need for a cooler, we’ll probably a good idea to get one but AMD supplies a basic one with the cpu.

Bosws87

I will upgrade to a whole new rig with the 3090 at some point, but there really is no hurry be years till i will see any true benefit from it.

I was pleasantly surprised at the price of the 3 series cards :)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
There must be atleast one guy here who recently threw a thousand quid on a 2080 ? :lol:

Ive been waiting for shit like this to release. Now waiting for amd 4000 to release and pair it with 3070/3080. Ideally amd 5000 would be ideal with 5nm and pcie5 but thats too long a wait.

Paxi

There must be atleast one guy here who recently threw a thousand quid on a 2080 ? :lol:

Ive been waiting for shit like this to release. Now waiting for amd 4000 to release and pair it with 3070/3080. Ideally amd 5000 would be ideal with 5nm and pcie5 but thats too long a wait.
There’s a few that I seen on YouTube comments. Better yet, I’m seeing some people wanting 800-900 quid for a 2080ti on gumtree. Cheeky bastards. :lol:

Paxi

This new 3080 sounds :drool:

Ainu

I built a new rig in January with a 2080 Ti. Not super recent but still recent enough I guess.

Kaos

Guilty :(

Built a new rig end of last year in anticipation for Cyberpunk 2077's initial planned release in April. Went balls deep and opted for a 2080ti. Cyberpunk gets delayed until November this year, and then nVidia announces the 3xxx series. FML.